The Boxing Palace
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

what a weekend of action

4 posters

Go down

what a weekend of action Empty what a weekend of action

Post  dbudge Sun Apr 10, 2011 8:25 am

just watched last night's HBO card re-run on Sky Sports and i'm pretty gutted that i vowed to not watch this card.

i think Morales was very unfortunate not to get the win. i think he landed the cleaner, more effective and classier shots throughout the duration of the contest. i think Maidana looked sluggish, limited and very ordinary. a bigger puncher would have taken Maidana out last night and i deeply regret saying some of the negative things pre-fight about Morales. Morales is a legend, a credit to Mexico and a credit to World boxing. the world needs more Erik Morales type of men. i thought that Morales was extremely dignified in defeat also. as for Maidana, well i can just imagine that a queue is forming to fight him because he has so many flaws. he is a tough fighter, but vulnerable.

Robert Guerrero.... classy performance. what a great jab this guy has, if he had a little more speed then he would definitely be a force to be reckoned with. Katsidis as usual earnt his money the hard way. the referee had an absolute shocker and i'll be glad to never see him referee a fight again. Guerrero's performance was really top class stuff though. have to remember that Katsidis had Marquez down early in their bout. i wonder how Marquez would deal with Guerrero size and youth advantage and hopefully this fight gets made, although i'm doubtful for various reasons. credit to both fighters for putting on a great little battle. it was top drawer entertainment in my opinion and i enjoyed it a lot.

James Kirkland...... well.......... he has no chin. the punches that landed weren't the jolting, twist your neck sort that cause a fighter to be detached from his senses. Kirkland will never be able to do anything about that unfortunately for him. no defence, no chin = a short career. the word i'm looking for is exposed.

Malignaggi...... future legend?? not quite. you boxed a fat little lightweight at welterweight to a decision. where's Malignaggi hoping to end up?? i don't know, any of the top boys at 147lb would have a lot of fun with Malignaggi's lack of power. looks like Golden Boy are just trying to cash in on whatever they can

dbudge

Back to top Go down

what a weekend of action Empty Re: what a weekend of action

Post  UBeeg9cats Sun Apr 10, 2011 11:19 am

dbudge wrote:just watched last night's HBO card re-run on Sky Sports and i'm pretty gutted that i vowed to not watch this card.

i think Morales was very unfortunate not to get the win. i think he landed the cleaner, more effective and classier shots throughout the duration of the contest. i think Maidana looked sluggish, limited and very ordinary. a bigger puncher would have taken Maidana out last night and i deeply regret saying some of the negative things pre-fight about Morales. Morales is a legend, a credit to Mexico and a credit to World boxing. the world needs more Erik Morales type of men. i thought that Morales was extremely dignified in defeat also. as for Maidana, well i can just imagine that a queue is forming to fight him because he has so many flaws. he is a tough fighter, but vulnerable.

Robert Guerrero.... classy performance. what a great jab this guy has, if he had a little more speed then he would definitely be a force to be reckoned with. Katsidis as usual earnt his money the hard way. the referee had an absolute shocker and i'll be glad to never see him referee a fight again. Guerrero's performance was really top class stuff though. have to remember that Katsidis had Marquez down early in their bout. i wonder how Marquez would deal with Guerrero size and youth advantage and hopefully this fight gets made, although i'm doubtful for various reasons. credit to both fighters for putting on a great little battle. it was top drawer entertainment in my opinion and i enjoyed it a lot.

James Kirkland...... well.......... he has no chin. the punches that landed weren't the jolting, twist your neck sort that cause a fighter to be detached from his senses. Kirkland will never be able to do anything about that unfortunately for him. no defence, no chin = a short career. the word i'm looking for is exposed.

Malignaggi...... future legend?? not quite. you boxed a fat little lightweight at welterweight to a decision. where's Malignaggi hoping to end up?? i don't know, any of the top boys at 147lb would have a lot of fun with Malignaggi's lack of power. looks like Golden Boy are just trying to cash in on whatever they can

I missed the card because I was trying my hand out at the WSOP circuit in St. Louis but it sounds like this card had entertaining fights with some unexpected results. I wanted to put in my prediction of a Maidana victory that it would be closer than most people expected until I realized that 1. it couldn't be worse than people expected and 2. people might think was playing both sides. Anyways, I thought there was a small but realistic chance Morales could go 12 and end up losing about 8-4. I didn't expect this.
Guerrero is a likable guy with good skills but I hate anyone trumping up interim titles. Hopefully, JMM fights him but if not, lightweight gets real muddy. Guerrero will be there with a host of Top Rank guys. Also, the WBA is doing everything they can to keep more titlists (as we all expect them too). Does Guerrero skip having to fight Rios for the "regular" belt since he would be a unified champ when JMM vacates? What happens when Rios unifies with Soto or Vazquez? It was the same scenario played out in featherweight several months ago.
Kirkland is a disappointment plain and simple. I hate when the media and fans talk about someone having a weak chin when they have only been down a couple of times and never KO'd but this rumor turned out to be the truth. I root against Paulie after he trashed Dibella. Dibella seems to be the only promoter that truly looks out for his fighters' well being and doesn't deserve to be put down by a fighter lucky enough to box on a big card twice. Once everyone sees your featherfisted, you don't usually get invited back.

UBeeg9cats

Back to top Go down

Post  captainanddew Sun Apr 10, 2011 1:33 pm

dbudge wrote:just watched last night's HBO card re-run on Sky Sports and i'm pretty gutted that i vowed to not watch this card.

What is wrong with Golden Boy and especially Malignaggi trying to make whatever money he can?

He made good money fighting Cotto, Diaz twice, Hatton, Khan.

Paulie M. (while being an enormous flake) isn't dumb. He talks alot, but he will not allow himself to be matched too tough at 147. He is going to try to make as much money to add to his retirement funds, while looking for one big cash out fight. There is nothing wrong with that.
captainanddew
captainanddew

Back to top Go down

Post  Gumby Sun Apr 10, 2011 2:21 pm

I didn't catch the Garcia fight so I'm curious as to how he did. The other threads didn't really touch on his performance. Specifically, did he go to the body at all? Did he throw straight punches or looping punches?

Didn't see Kirkland either but I've never thought much of him. He's an Omar Henry type. Good power, good aggression but that's about it.

No issues with Paulie. I'd love to see him get a shot at Aydin. It would probably get televised and might give him an invitation to the big stage or give Paulie a chance to make a little noise before he hangs em up.

Guerrero looked good. Not sure if anyone beats him a lightweight but I think he should stay there. He probably won't get a big fight but he should continue earning his dues. Katsidis should take some easier fights.

I had Maidana winning the fight. I think everyone was impressed with Morales' performance and gave him more credit than he deserved. He was able to make Maidana look bad, but I don't think he was controlling the action or doing more damage.

He was able to roll his shoulder in close and tilt his head which kept Maidana from landing his right hook clean. He used his footwork to move in and out so Maidana couldn't measure his straight punches (something Maidana is very slow to do against a moving target) and countered Maidana's looping shots with flurries that put Maidana on the backpedal. My two favorite parts of his performance were how he would press Maidana whenever he started to back straight up (more fighters should do this) and how he knew exactly where he was in the ring. If anyone watches a replay, watch how many times he ends the round right in his corner. Still, Maidana just mauled and manhandled him when he needed to and although he burned himself out, he won the fight in the first few rounds. It was ugly, but he was able to take control when he needed to.
Gumby
Gumby

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down