The Boxing Palace
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

What's Germany thinking?

+5
dbudge
captainanddew
GrantZilla
Soonermark890
Frank
9 posters

Go down

What's Germany thinking?  Empty What's Germany thinking?

Post  Frank Tue Mar 22, 2011 7:21 am

Why does Germany consistently pack the house for Klit brother fights? I'm at a loss for this one. Are they that desperate to see a fight? This HW division is the worst division, pound for pound, in boxing history (my call.).

Frank

Back to top Go down

What's Germany thinking?  Empty Re: What's Germany thinking?

Post  Soonermark890 Tue Mar 22, 2011 8:26 am

My personal opinion is that if the Klits were Americans we would pack the house for their fights as well. I know they are not the most entertaining (well Vitali is fun to watch) but people seem to love to support their HW's. We just have not had one in a long time from the US.
Soonermark890
Soonermark890
Admin

https://theboxingpalace.forumotion.com

Back to top Go down

Post  Frank Tue Mar 22, 2011 8:33 am

Soonermark890 wrote:My personal opinion is that if the Klits were Americans we would pack the house for their fights as well. I know they are not the most entertaining (well Vitali is fun to watch) but people seem to love to support their HW's. We just have not had one in a long time from the US.
Sooner, those fights are horrible. It's not the Klits fault but their competition that is the problem. HBO got rid of their fights for a reason. Americans like competition. That's the reason we watch sports. Any sport.

Frank

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Tue Mar 22, 2011 8:46 am

same reason americans packed the house to watch Tyson face a string of no-hopers. They want to witness dominance and see the best in action.

same reason I watch them.

Back to top Go down

Post  Frank Tue Mar 22, 2011 8:50 am

Canvas wrote:same reason americans packed the house to watch Tyson face a string of no-hopers. They want to witness dominance and see the best in action.
This comes from arguably Mike Tyson's biggest detractor. Mike was MUCH more exciting than the Klits and his competition dwarfed theirs. Nobody can argue differently and appear sane. Some of Tyson's victims were, Alex Stewart, Tony Tucker, Bonecrusher Smith, etc.

There's a reason Tyson became a huge star during the 80s and believe me, it's not anything you see the Klits and their opponents doing that was a part of that formula.

Say what you want about Tyson (and I'll say plenty), his fights never lacked excitement.

Frank

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Tue Mar 22, 2011 10:06 am

frank theres no resonable explanation.there stars with a following no matter what.talent or competion it doesnt matter at all.its unexplainable..for a while steven segaull was a big star actor..hes one of the worst actors ever..rosanee barr to me a repulsive fat slob..singers that cant carry a tune with a ten foot wide bucket.why are they stars..i dont know.
but it happens.unexplainable is maybe the only anser why.

Back to top Go down

Post  Frank Tue Mar 22, 2011 10:49 am

dmar5143 wrote:frank theres no resonable explanation.there stars with a following no matter what.talent or competion it doesnt matter at all.its unexplainable..for a while steven segaull was a big star actor..hes one of the worst actors ever..rosanee barr to me a repulsive fat slob..singers that cant carry a tune with a ten foot wide bucket.why are they stars..i dont know.
but it happens.unexplainable is maybe the only anser why.
Good observation, dmar. The only answer I can think of is that the masses are judging talent according to the talent around them.

For example, would FM be a superstar in the age of Sugar Ray Robinson? Probably not. Steven Segall is an action actor, which means people come to his movies to see him beat up and kill his adversaries. Be it, he's survived as an action actor, but would he have excited anyone during the age of "Bruce Lee?" Probably not. I think it's all about what we're exposed to.

Frank

Back to top Go down

Post  GrantZilla Tue Mar 22, 2011 11:31 am

They're Germans, that's why. Sturm vs total bums draws big crowds there. Germany is the entertainment dumping ground. David Hassellhof is huge there
GrantZilla
GrantZilla

Back to top Go down

Post  captainanddew Tue Mar 22, 2011 11:39 am

after enough beer and sausages any fight seems pretty freaking entertaining.
captainanddew
captainanddew

Back to top Go down

Post  dbudge Tue Mar 22, 2011 4:33 pm

GrantZilla wrote:They're Germans, that's why. Sturm vs total bums draws big crowds there. Germany is the entertainment dumping ground. David Hassellhof is huge there

it is true, the Germans are the most boring nation in the World. i mean they really are miserable and fucking boring. what the Germans love about the Klitschkos is that they continuosly win. the Germans don't care how they do it, they just appreciate the fact that they are getting the W. the Klitschkos get slated for being boring and robotic everywhere except for Germany. who have adopted them as their own.

comparing the Klitschkos dominance to Mike Tyson's is ludicrous. the level of competition is so much worse than the string of no hopers Tyson was battering. there used to be loads of Heavyweight fighters that were in shape and ready to fight. now it's just fat bums that are left. Tyson didn't just jab his way to the win. he ripped his opponents to shreds in what were truly enticing performances. Tyson got the reputation as the baddest man on the planet because he looked the genuine article. his bobbing, weaving, speed, the power!! Mike had it all and he used those to his full advantage. he wouldn't let a fight go into overtime, he'd just completely destroy who they put in front of him. just like all the other greats did. if Tyson hadn't of gone to jail then who knows what he really could have achieved. imagine how we'd be talking about him now. a Mike Tyson doesn't come along very often!! there's plenty of Klitschkos, the reasoning behind their dominance is their huge size advantage. they aren't just tall guys, they are genuinely fucking huge! Tyson was 5'11 but he would have ripped both Klitschkos a new arsehole when he was beating that string of no-hopers

dbudge

Back to top Go down

Post  GrantZilla Tue Mar 22, 2011 6:16 pm

Anyone here knows I'm not a blind hater. I give The Klits their credit. I've said both of them belong at the bottom of the P4P list right now.

That said, they are not helping the division. Outside of their boring style, we can't get a clear cut Undisputed Champ because The Champ, Wlad, and his bro won't fight. That's understandable, since they are brothers but it doesn't help the division.

When a division is this bad, you need atleast a clear cut Champ, especialy in the HW division. If Wlad beats Haye, what does it prove? Nothing. Wlad will still be the disputed Champ because many feel Vitali would whoop his ass if they did fight
GrantZilla
GrantZilla

Back to top Go down

Post  Gumby Wed Mar 23, 2011 1:12 pm

It's not just to watch the fight, it's also to experience the event. They're supporting a countrymen who also happens to be the best in the world at what they do. The Klits or Sturm/Sylvester and their level of accomplishment are a part of national pride. It's a big deal.

I doubt the majority of people who show up do so thinking, "wow, the heavyweight division has gone to shit or Sturm is fighting a can." They probably think I'm getting to watch someone whose the best in the world perform.

In the US we're spoiled a lot. We have a lot of the best athletes in the world compete regularly before our eyes. Athletes from around the world often come here to be a part of our professional leagues. We've kind of lost our national pride because so many people get caught up in specific teams or players.
Gumby
Gumby

Back to top Go down

Post  dbudge Wed Mar 23, 2011 2:08 pm

Gumby wrote:It's not just to watch the fight, it's also to experience the event. They're supporting a countrymen who also happens to be the best in the world at what they do. The Klits or Sturm/Sylvester and their level of accomplishment are a part of national pride. It's a big deal.

I doubt the majority of people who show up do so thinking, "wow, the heavyweight division has gone to shit or Sturm is fighting a can." They probably think I'm getting to watch someone whose the best in the world perform.

In the US we're spoiled a lot. We have a lot of the best athletes in the world compete regularly before our eyes. Athletes from around the world often come here to be a part of our professional leagues. We've kind of lost our national pride because so many people get caught up in specific teams or players.

they're not German though, they are Ukrainian. German's support success no matter how dull in form it is

second statement i've bolded - is this statement really that true??? America's biggest sports are baseball and American football. outside of the US, football (soccer) is globally the biggest sport. Golf is big in the US also but i refuse to call a golfer an athlete. undoubtedly the US is the place to go if you are in the upper echelons of the Boxing game, but that is changing

dbudge

Back to top Go down

Post  Gumby Wed Mar 23, 2011 2:28 pm

dbudge wrote:In the US we're spoiled a lot. We have a lot of the best athletes in the world compete regularly before our eyes. Athletes from around the world often come here to be a part of our professional leagues. We've kind of lost our national pride because so many people get caught up in specific teams or players.

they're not German though, they are Ukrainian. German's support success no matter how dull in form it is

second statement i've bolded - is this statement really that true??? America's biggest sports are baseball and American football. outside of the US, football (soccer) is globally the biggest sport. Golf is big in the US also but i refuse to call a golfer an athlete. undoubtedly the US is the place to go if you are in the upper echelons of the Boxing game, but that is changing[/quote]
I think Ukranians go to the fights in Germany and the Germans embrace them as their own (similar to how a favorite player on a team sport can be from another state or country). To the point in bold, I'll edit it to say that we often get the best athletes in the world in the sports we care about. Those are football, baseball, Nascar, and basketball. I'd say the next level is hockey, tennis, golf, boxing, soccer.

My main point is that I think people in the US wouldn't consider seeing a Klitschko fight being a big deal and in other places it is.
Gumby
Gumby

Back to top Go down

Post  SlickMoney Wed Mar 23, 2011 2:32 pm

Who cares?

If ppl want to spend their money on the Klits then let them.

Ppl spend money on Floyd and he has NEVER had a FOTY candidate.

Ppl spent money on a hack comic (Dice Clay)

Spend money on boring movies.

Everyone has preferences.
SlickMoney
SlickMoney

Back to top Go down

Post  Diego408 Wed Mar 23, 2011 2:59 pm

SlickMoney wrote:Who cares?

If ppl want to spend their money on the Klits then let them.

Ppl spend money on Floyd and he has NEVER had a FOTY candidate.

Ppl spent money on a hack comic (Dice Clay)

Spend money on boring movies.

Everyone has preferences.
+1 I cant believe I agree with Slick for once
Diego408
Diego408

Back to top Go down

Post  dbudge Wed Mar 23, 2011 6:21 pm

Gumby wrote:
dbudge wrote:In the US we're spoiled a lot. We have a lot of the best athletes in the world compete regularly before our eyes. Athletes from around the world often come here to be a part of our professional leagues. We've kind of lost our national pride because so many people get caught up in specific teams or players.

second statement i've bolded - is this statement really that true??? America's biggest sports are baseball and American football. outside of the US, football (soccer) is globally the biggest sport. Golf is big in the US also but i refuse to call a golfer an athlete. undoubtedly the US is the place to go if you are in the upper echelons of the Boxing game, but that is changing
I think Ukranians go to the fights in Germany and the Germans embrace them as their own (similar to how a favorite player on a team sport can be from another state or country). To the point in bold, I'll edit it to say that we often get the best athletes in the world in the sports we care about. Those are football, baseball, Nascar, and basketball. I'd say the next level is hockey, tennis, golf, boxing, soccer.

My main point is that I think people in the US wouldn't consider seeing a Klitschko fight being a big deal and in other places it is.[/quote]

exactly, the sports you care about and other nations don't. nascar is fucking awful, just go round and round and round and round. we have proper Motor racing over here - Formula 1 etc where the best drivers from around the World REALLY compete. i think it is a bit naive to say the best athletes are competing in the US because they are the only sports that Americans care about. is a baseball player more of an athlete than a football (soccer) player?? the only US sport i can really watch is basketball because it shows true athleticism at it's finest and has a frantic pace more similar to sports in the mainstream in the other corners of the World. the reason that the US gets the best athletes in those sports is because no countries outside of the US really care about them.

back to your point about the Klitschkos though, i only think that it is the German audience that appreciate what the Klitschkos are doing for boxing. Heavyweight boxing is as dead in the UK as it is in the US. people are more interested in the domestic scene where you have John "the muffin man" McDermott fighting Tyson "did i really just uppercut myself?" Fury where they are going to witness a fight. people really do not care for the boring Klitschkos over here simialr to fans in the US. Germans really are a dull breed it has to be said. i've never been to a more miserably plain country.

dbudge

Back to top Go down

Post  GrantZilla Wed Mar 23, 2011 6:27 pm

Outside Haye fighting Wlad, the Klits draw no excitment from the Western world, for sure. Wlad-Haye I'm sure will be big in UK because of Haye, but I don't think it will do that great in the US.

Haye outside hardcore fans, is a nobody in the US. Because he's only had two US telivised fights here, last one was years ago and was tape-delayed on Showtime.

Which is fine, the fight doesn't have to appeal to the US. The HWs will be dead in the US until an exciting US HW shows up. There are none out there, and I don't see anyone in the near future.

Maybe Wilder, but at the rate he's going, it'll be another six years before he fights a top ranked opponent.

GrantZilla
GrantZilla

Back to top Go down

Post  gomez1012 Wed Mar 23, 2011 6:33 pm

GrantZilla wrote:Outside Haye fighting Wlad, the Klits draw no excitment from the Western world, for sure. Wlad-Haye I'm sure will be big in UK because of Haye, but I don't think it will do that great in the US.

Haye outside hardcore fans, is a nobody in the US. Because he's only had two US telivised fights here, last one was years ago and was tape-delayed on Showtime.

Which is fine, the fight doesn't have to appeal to the US. The HWs will be dead in the US until an exciting US HW shows up. There are none out there, and I don't see anyone in the near future.

Maybe Wilder, but at the rate he's going, it'll be another six years before he fights a top ranked opponent.

What happened to Boysturd? Laughing
gomez1012
gomez1012

Back to top Go down

Post  GrantZilla Wed Mar 23, 2011 6:37 pm

gomez1012 wrote: What happened to Boysturd? Laughing

He's irrelevant right now, until he fights a top ranked opponent. Him being co-promoted in the US by GB might help get him some exposure.

If he beats some top ranked guys, his style will definitly make him more appealing typical stand-up boring East Euro fighters.

I'd have him learn English though, and make him sound like Ivan Drago. That'd definitly help him sell.

"David Haye, I must break you!"

GrantZilla
GrantZilla

Back to top Go down

Post  SlickMoney Thu Mar 24, 2011 12:46 am

GrantZilla wrote:Outside Haye fighting Wlad, the Klits draw no excitment from the Western world, for sure. Wlad-Haye I'm sure will be big in UK because of Haye, but I don't think it will do that great in the US.

Aside from Mayweather-Pacquiao, no fight has appeal in the US. Those 2 are the only household names out of active boxers. Maybe Mosley. Forget Heavyweight, its all of Boxing thats getting no play here.

Cotto can sell in NY. Adamek in Jersey. Few other fighters can sell in their hometowns but mainstream there's nobody.

Who can sell PPVs aside from the big 2?

Point is, its not just the Klits that US doesnt give a fuck about.
SlickMoney
SlickMoney

Back to top Go down

Post  GrantZilla Thu Mar 24, 2011 2:25 am

SlickMoney wrote:Aside from Mayweather-Pacquiao, no fight has appeal in the US. Those 2 are the only household names out of active boxers. Maybe Mosley. Forget Heavyweight, its all of Boxing thats getting no play here.

Cotto can sell in NY. Adamek in Jersey. Few other fighters can sell in their hometowns but mainstream there's nobody.

Who can sell PPVs aside from the big 2?

Point is, its not just the Klits that US doesnt give a fuck about.

No argument there. I been saying for a while, we're not in the Post PPV/Pay Channel Age. Oscar was the last of the fighters who became household names on network TV. And two biggest names in boxing now all become huge names because of Oscar.

Why fights have to get back on network TV. You will never build big names on pay channels that only got 20-30 million subscribers. Or PPVs, which are even more limiting as far as audience.

That said, if an American HW came along, and KO'd both Klit brothers, you can gurantee they would get tons of attention. Shit, if Haye is able to do that, he'd definitly become a big name in the US.
GrantZilla
GrantZilla

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down