The Boxing Palace
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Weightlifting accomplishments and theories

+2
freakzilla
UBeeg9cats
6 posters

Go down

Weightlifting accomplishments and theories Empty Weightlifting accomplishments and theories

Post  UBeeg9cats Sun Mar 20, 2011 11:23 am

The weightlifting discussion in another thread got me thinking that some people on here could have more knowledge than me or at the very least be significantly stronger than me.

In the supplement world, I am convinced that most don't work. I like whey protein, creatine, and a multivitamin. I believe those 3 really work. I have a couple other supplements that work somewhat but don't seem to be worth my time or money.

I don't do enough cardio or eat enough for large gains. I do subscribe that people try to have too long of workouts. An hour max for my workouts. I think compound exercises are tremendously beneficial. I sadly avoid leg workouts more than I should because of knee problems from long ago.

My bench is probably my best exercise with me maxing around 230-240. I would love my squat and deadlift to increase.

UBeeg9cats

Back to top Go down

Weightlifting accomplishments and theories Empty Re: Weightlifting accomplishments and theories

Post  freakzilla Sun Mar 20, 2011 11:36 am

My workouts are 40-60 minutes also. I can't train legs as I have bad knees and ankles but I have genetically big calves and strong legs so I don't really need too.
freakzilla
freakzilla

Back to top Go down

Weightlifting accomplishments and theories Empty Re: Weightlifting accomplishments and theories

Post  powerpuncher Sun Mar 20, 2011 12:20 pm

most supplements dont really work unless you are really working out a ton. most americans get more than enough protein and the rest is just excreted anyways so these supplements are sometimes a joke. now if you are lifting 2 hours 6 or 7 days a week then you will keep that protein because you require more of it because of all of the lifting you do.

my problem is that i just hate working out. i love sports and doing stuff but i hate running and lifting weights. im naturally athletic and strong but im not as strong as i should be. when i used to wrestle, people would always tell me that i was way stronger than i looked because i didnt really life or anything and my body is naturally not toned so i dont necessarily look very strong. there were very few people i ever wrestled that i felt were stronger than me. when i did lift, i felt like i lifted quite a bit for hardly ever lifting. my sophomore year in high school i benched 185 when i weighed 135 and i pretty much never benched. so i kind of regret not putting in more effort to get stronger.
powerpuncher
powerpuncher

Back to top Go down

Post  UBeeg9cats Sun Mar 20, 2011 2:52 pm

powerpuncher wrote:most supplements dont really work unless you are really working out a ton. most americans get more than enough protein and the rest is just excreted anyways so these supplements are sometimes a joke. now if you are lifting 2 hours 6 or 7 days a week then you will keep that protein because you require more of it because of all of the lifting you do.

my problem is that i just hate working out. i love sports and doing stuff but i hate running and lifting weights. im naturally athletic and strong but im not as strong as i should be. when i used to wrestle, people would always tell me that i was way stronger than i looked because i didnt really life or anything and my body is naturally not toned so i dont necessarily look very strong. there were very few people i ever wrestled that i felt were stronger than me. when i did lift, i felt like i lifted quite a bit for hardly ever lifting. my sophomore year in high school i benched 185 when i weighed 135 and i pretty much never benched. so i kind of regret not putting in more effort to get stronger.

There is my problem. Don't mind lifting especially with a partner but running is torture to me.

UBeeg9cats

Back to top Go down

Post  captainanddew Sun Mar 20, 2011 3:19 pm

UBeeg9cats wrote:The weightlifting discussion in another thread got me thinking that some people on here could have more knowledge than me or at the very least be significantly stronger than me.

In the supplement world, I am convinced that most don't work. I like whey protein, creatine, and a multivitamin. I believe those 3 really work. I have a couple other supplements that work somewhat but don't seem to be worth my time or money.

I don't do enough cardio or eat enough for large gains. I do subscribe that people try to have too long of workouts. An hour max for my workouts. I think compound exercises are tremendously beneficial. I sadly avoid leg workouts more than I should because of knee problems from long ago.

My bench is probably my best exercise with me maxing around 230-240. I would love my squat and deadlift to increase.

don't avoid leg workouts because of physical issues.
I have a messed up ankle (surgery 12 years ago and blew out the same ligaments again-decided no 2nd surgery) and bulging discs in the back.

I can't do squats or deadlifts these days. I stick with hack squats and leg press (which done right don't put pressure on the knee, ankle, and back, the way that squats and deadlifts can). I feel like I miss out because I can't do squats and deadlifts but then again there has been professional bodybuilders who reached the top of the sport who never did squats.

Jumping right into the heavy exercises of hack squat and leg press is too much for my joints. I have to stretch (alot) and do leg extensions first (which most people do later in their leg workout).
captainanddew
captainanddew

Back to top Go down

Post  Soonermark890 Sun Mar 20, 2011 5:06 pm

I will give you a hint on this stuff guys. We have an ex body builder that is a regular on this site. Maybe he can shed some light on what some of you guys are saying.

As for me my lifts go at least 90 min. I dont rush through them I wait until I am ready. I dont know if that is right for everyone but for me it works.

BTW anyone know of a good bicep stretch?

Oh and FREAK. Can you post your thread from your website here. It is almost the same thread and I think people would appreciate it. THANKS. Very Happy
Soonermark890
Soonermark890
Admin

https://theboxingpalace.forumotion.com

Back to top Go down

Post  Soonermark890 Sun Mar 20, 2011 5:07 pm

Oh and as for supplements. I take Pump Fuel. It seems less harsh than Nano Vapor (what I use to take) and I also am on a Whey Protein. I take Wheybolic from the GNC.
Soonermark890
Soonermark890
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  Soonermark890 Sun Mar 20, 2011 5:11 pm

UBeeg9cats wrote:The weightlifting discussion in another thread got me thinking that some people on here could have more knowledge than me or at the very least be significantly stronger than me.

BTW I also have/had knee problems. I noticed over the last three years that they have not been near as bad. I started with very light weight and then kept moving up on squat. Its taken a long time but they dont hurt anymore when I squat. My back though is another story. LOL
Soonermark890
Soonermark890
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  UBeeg9cats Sun Mar 20, 2011 5:45 pm

I know my 3 biggest mistakes are not enough cardio, squats/deadlifts, and calories. I need to take in about an extra 1000 calories if I want to seriously bulk. Not enough motivation for me right now to do any of those.

UBeeg9cats

Back to top Go down

Post  freakzilla Sun Mar 20, 2011 8:13 pm

Soonermark890-

Going great. I pyramid weight. I do arms, chest one day and Legs back the next. Right now I work out every day. Right now I am benching 365 lbs. By far my best lift.

Here is what my workout routine looks like.
The pyramid is like this
1st set-15 reps
2nd-12 reps
3rd- 8 reps
4th- 6reps
5th- 4 reps
6th- 12 reps

you start off with very light weight and move up and then go back down on your last set. The last set is the hardest.

Arm day lifts
bench press
chest flys- 4 sets of 8
seated arm curls
standing drag curls
tricep kickbacks
scull crushers

Leg day lifts
Squat
leg curls
Lat pulldown
bent rows or lawnmowers
shrugs
3 way shoulders or (cant remember what dmar called them) but its a type of a row for your shoulder area
freakzilla
freakzilla

Back to top Go down

Post  freakzilla Sun Mar 20, 2011 8:14 pm

Monday-

Chest-

1. 3 sets of 10 on the flat bench increasing in weight then for the last set decrease in weight and do a set of 20.
2. 4 sets of cable-crossover increasing in weight
3. 4 sets of pec-deck increasing in weight
4. 4 sets of incline dumbbell increasing in weight then for the last set decrease in weight and do a set of 20.

Tuesday-

Shoulders-

1. 4 sets of barbell/dumbbell shoulder press increasing in weight
2. 4 sets of dumbbell front shoulder raise increasing in weight
3. 4 sets of dumbbell side shoulder raise increasing in weight
4. 3 sets of barbell shrugs increasing in weight

Wednesday-

Off

Thursday-

Back-

1. 4 sets of lat pulldowns increasing in weight
2. 3 sets seated cable row increasing in weight then for the last set decrease in weight and do 20 reps
3. 4 sets barbell bent-over row increasing in weight or 3 sets cable pulldown
4. 4 sets on the lower back machine increasing in weight

Friday-

Arms-

1. 3 sets barbell biceps curls increasing in weight.
2. 3 sets incline seated dumbbell curls increasing in weight.
3. 3 sets dumbell hammer curls increasing in weight.

4. 4 sets seated upright barbell French press increasing in weight.
5. 4 sets triceps rope pushdown increasing in weight.
6. 3 sets triceps bar pushdown of a light weight doing 30 reps for each set

Saturday & Sunday -

Off
freakzilla
freakzilla

Back to top Go down

Post  Gumby Wed Mar 23, 2011 2:14 pm

I don't do much as far as working out these days. I'll get around to it before summer though. Probably will do a lot more pylometric and cardio stuff (jumping around, playing bball and swimming).

My advice to everyone would be don't get too top heavy. As far, as lifts, I think squats and cleans are the best. Drink lots of water. Also, balance exercises are great for your ankles.

Sooner, a stretch I like for biceps is to go to a squat rack, grab both ends and just lean forward. It might not work for you though because you are tall. If you lift with a partner or are cool with people at your gym you could have them pull your arms back for the same effect.
Gumby
Gumby

Back to top Go down

Post  Soonermark890 Wed Mar 23, 2011 7:27 pm

Gumby wrote:I don't do much as far as working out these days. I'll get around to it before summer though. Probably will do a lot more pylometric and cardio stuff (jumping around, playing bball and swimming).

My advice to everyone would be don't get too top heavy. As far, as lifts, I think squats and cleans are the best. Drink lots of water. Also, balance exercises are great for your ankles.

Sooner, a stretch I like for biceps is to go to a squat rack, grab both ends and just lean forward. It might not work for you though because you are tall. If you lift with a partner or are cool with people at your gym you could have them pull your arms back for the same effect.
I will give that a try. Maybe if I had someone do it for me maybe it would be better. Thanks.
Soonermark890
Soonermark890
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Wed Mar 23, 2011 8:15 pm

interesting topic.captain is correct that hack squats done in strict form are great and theres far less strain on the knees plus its wonderfull for developing legs.variety in the hack squat hits the legs at all angles.flat footed and also hack squats using a 2 by 4 with the heals elivated..pointing the toes ever so slightly in a different direction while doing them flat is good also.
prymiding the weight is the way to go but remem ber i dont believe you should count the first 2 sets going up in weight as a actual set but mearly think of it as a warm up..
i always liked doing a final set or two with high reps and a modest weight to activated both the fast twitch muscle fibers and the slow twitch muscle fibers..prymiding is effective for that..
your bench press numbers are they with actual free weights like on a olympic 45 pound bar or on a machine type of thing.there is a big differnce there.
i dont believe in long grulling workouts.there counterproductive and its over training.a hour or hour and 15 mintes is perfect..working out every day is not productive.the body needs rest if you wish to make gains in size or weights used.
variety of exersizes over the course of the year also works best and prevents staleness.a monday tues thursday friday exersise days i think is best.once you have achieved your desired size whatever that is then mantience of that size requires less then obtaining it.the time to rest between sets is up to the individual but dont take to long..2 to 3 minutes is to long in most cases.far to long.
suppliments im not a strong beliver in there soo called claims especialy when it comes with a natural type of advertisement ..a good diet and a quality time released muti vitimin for the most part will do the job..the idea is to gorge the muscle with blood untill you get a fully pumpted up muscle in the area your working on.the larger muscles the chest back legs require more sets then the smaller muscles arms sholders.keep in mind expersises like a bench press press behind the neck indirectly work the triceps hard..rowing with weights pull downs on a lat machine flyes indirectly work the biscepts well also.the bench press activates the front deltoid the press behing the neck done properly works all 3 heads of the sholders.ab work on the other 3 days that you rest id recommend as well as one day after your workout.

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Wed Mar 23, 2011 8:20 pm

another ideal cituation is a full body workout 3 days a week.monday wensday and friday perhaps the upper body chest back arms in the am and legs sholders at night.

Back to top Go down

Post  Soonermark890 Wed Mar 23, 2011 8:22 pm

Hey dmar. I tend to take a few minutes in between sets. But it seems like I cant get my sets if I dont take that long is that bad?
Soonermark890
Soonermark890
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Wed Mar 23, 2011 8:36 pm

it dependends what a few minutes are.the object is to keep the muscle pumpted or achieving that pump i should say.yes a long rest will alow you to handle that weight maybe for a rep or two more but thats not the intent.ego gets in the way at times.a minute is about ideal enough time to catch your breath and replenish your strenth.a minute and a half i think for the most part is ok also.think of it as working with 2 other guys.one immediatlely does the excersise the other then gets on a bench and immdeiately does his etc etc.when its your turn again then thats the perfect time..no loly gagging around.intensity over that hour is the object.or one of them anyway..

Back to top Go down

Post  freakzilla Wed Mar 23, 2011 8:51 pm

I can't train a body part more than once a week. If I try it then I can't push 100%.
freakzilla
freakzilla

Back to top Go down

Post  Soonermark890 Wed Mar 23, 2011 9:17 pm

dmar5143 wrote:it dependends what a few minutes are.the object is to keep the muscle pumpted or achieving that pump i should say.yes a long rest will alow you to handle that weight maybe for a rep or two more but thats not the intent.ego gets in the way at times.a minute is about ideal enough time to catch your breath and replenish your strenth.a minute and a half i think for the most part is ok also.think of it as working with 2 other guys.one immediatlely does the excersise the other then gets on a bench and immdeiately does his etc etc.when its your turn again then thats the perfect time..no loly gagging around.intensity over that hour is the object.or one of them anyway..
Ok so maybe I should go down in weight then. I will give that a try and see what happens.
Soonermark890
Soonermark890
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  Soonermark890 Wed Apr 06, 2011 10:44 pm

OK does anyone use a roman chair. We used to have them at the high school gym but dont have them anymore. I am thinking of buying a cheep one and wonder if they are worth it.
Soonermark890
Soonermark890
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  captainanddew Thu Apr 07, 2011 8:12 pm

Soonermark890 wrote:OK does anyone use a roman chair. We used to have them at the high school gym but dont have them anymore. I am thinking of buying a cheep one and wonder if they are worth it.

I like the roman chair, but then again I have bulging discs in the back and I do alot of lower back work just to deal with the pain and be able to lift.
captainanddew
captainanddew

Back to top Go down

Post  Soonermark890 Thu Apr 07, 2011 8:44 pm

captainanddew wrote:
Soonermark890 wrote:OK does anyone use a roman chair. We used to have them at the high school gym but dont have them anymore. I am thinking of buying a cheep one and wonder if they are worth it.

I like the roman chair, but then again I have bulging discs in the back and I do alot of lower back work just to deal with the pain and be able to lift.
I saw a cheap one at walmart and other places that cost around $80 I might get one.
Soonermark890
Soonermark890
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down