The Boxing Palace
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Wlad should dump his ABC belts

+4
kbyte
SlickMoney
gomez1012
GrantZilla
8 posters

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next

Go down

Wlad should dump his ABC belts Empty Wlad should dump his ABC belts

Post  GrantZilla Mon Mar 07, 2011 7:33 pm

Everyone knows he's the HW Champ. He's just wasting money with sanctioning fees, and the bullshit manditories.

Just hold onto The Ring belt, which doesn't charge a sanctioning fee or force bullshit manditories, and dump the belts.

Why this would be good for the division. For one, it makes a stand that ABC belts are a joke.

And two, these HW bums are just sitting around waiting for their bullshit manditory shot and payday. Dump the trinkets, and they'll go after them, and maybe start fighting each other for one.

Then Wlad can take on winners of the trinket grab fest.
GrantZilla
GrantZilla

Back to top Go down

Wlad should dump his ABC belts Empty Re: Wlad should dump his ABC belts

Post  gomez1012 Mon Mar 07, 2011 7:35 pm

GrantZilla wrote:Everyone knows he's the HW Champ. He's just wasting money with sanctioning fees, and the bullshit manditories.

Just hold onto The Ring belt, which doesn't charge a sanctioning fee or force bullshit manditories, and dump the belts.

Why this would be good for the division. For one, it makes a stand that ABC belts are a joke.

And two, these HW bums are just sitting around waiting for their bullshit manditory shot and payday. Dump the trinkets, and they'll go after them, and maybe start fighting each other for one.

he's already crushed all of their joke mandatories

Chagaev, Peter, Chambers

Valuev and Povetkin dont want none and Haye finally stepping up
gomez1012
gomez1012

Back to top Go down

Post  GrantZilla Mon Mar 07, 2011 7:37 pm

True, so why hang onto trinkets? Atleast dumping them he won't have to pay bullshit sanctioing fees.

What is it, 3% of your purse, and Wlad's got, IBO, IBF, WBO, that's 12% of your purse. Soon to be 15% when he get's the WBA strap.

GrantZilla
GrantZilla

Back to top Go down

Post  gomez1012 Mon Mar 07, 2011 7:39 pm

GrantZilla wrote:True, so why hang onto trinkets? Atleast dumping them he won't have to pay bullshit sanctioing fees.

What is it, 3% of your purse, and Wlad's got, IBO, IBF, WBO, that's 12% of your purse. Soon to be 15% when he get's the WBA strap.

Because he's a fighter, they love their straps
gomez1012
gomez1012

Back to top Go down

Post  GrantZilla Mon Mar 07, 2011 7:40 pm

gomez1012 wrote:[Because he's a fighter, they love their straps

Well, not all fighters. Mayweather doesn't. He loves his money, and why ditched paying WBA fee.

Shit, say Wlad makes 2 mill a fight. That's 300k going to sanctioning fees.

GrantZilla
GrantZilla

Back to top Go down

Post  gomez1012 Mon Mar 07, 2011 7:42 pm

Idk how much it works to but just know that fighters love their straps, means a lot to them, I dont care what ABC org it is
gomez1012
gomez1012

Back to top Go down

Post  GrantZilla Mon Mar 07, 2011 7:43 pm

gomez1012 wrote:Idk how much it works to but just know that fighters love their straps, means a lot to them, I dont care what ABC org it is

It means a lot to them because for most fighter's, it's all they got. Like giving trophies to the loser.

GrantZilla
GrantZilla

Back to top Go down

Post  gomez1012 Mon Mar 07, 2011 7:48 pm

yep

Look at Zab though

he's in a sweet spot now that he's grabbed the IBF strap

can defend it in NJ vs mandatory, get a bigger split, and fight top Jr WWs because of it
gomez1012
gomez1012

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Mon Mar 07, 2011 8:20 pm

Wlad won't, he values them too highly and thinks they actually mean something today.

If Wlad does unify them all I will give him credit, it's not an east task to do, even in a weak division.

Back to top Go down

Post  GrantZilla Mon Mar 07, 2011 8:24 pm

Ali wrote:Wlad won't, he values them too highly and thinks they actually mean something today.

If Wlad does unify them all I will give him credit, it's not an east task to do, even in a weak division.

I remember The Klits got butt hurt when Adamek said straps are only good for keeping your pants up
GrantZilla
GrantZilla

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Mon Mar 07, 2011 8:30 pm

GrantZilla wrote:
Ali wrote:Wlad won't, he values them too highly and thinks they actually mean something today.

I remember The Klits got butt hurt when Adamek said straps are only good for keeping your pants up

What did they say ?

Back to top Go down

Post  SlickMoney Mon Mar 07, 2011 8:32 pm

GrantZilla wrote:

Yet Adamek still carries those half ass straps around. The ones he won for the Arreola fight.
SlickMoney
SlickMoney

Back to top Go down

Post  GrantZilla Mon Mar 07, 2011 8:37 pm

You don’t care about fighting for championship belts?

In his last interview, Vitali Klitschko said that I was wrong suggesting that title belts have the same worth as my regular belts holding my pants in place, but I never said that. I know what belts mean for a fighter. I defended them in the light heavyweight (WBC) and cruiserweight division (IBF). What I said is that more and more fights are made for the “People’s Belt,” when the two fighters most wanted by the fans meet in the ring.

Like Mayweather deciding against WBA belt when he fought Shane Mosley or the Bernard Hopkins–Kelly Pavlik fight when “only” pride was on stake.

There are more examples, but yes, exactly. Too many times fighters are fighting because of politics and money connections, not their actual value. Vitali was also talking about our possible March fight, great interest from...
http://www.fightnews.com/Boxing/qa-tomasz-adamek-5-67011
GrantZilla
GrantZilla

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Tue Mar 08, 2011 1:04 am

I've been saying this for a while. Wlad could start a revolution by holding a press conference and dropping his trinkets in the trash. The heavyweight champ of the world ditching the alphabet soup would send ripples thru the sport.

The sickening thing is that some moron sports writer would post an item describing Wlad as a "top rated challenger"

Back to top Go down

Post  GrantZilla Tue Mar 08, 2011 2:35 am

Canvas wrote: The sickening thing is that some moron sports writer would post an item describing Wlad as a "top rated challenger"

IF they did that, they'd get a lot shit. I could see some stupid blog writer doing that, but they say stupid shit like that regardless to get a reaction and bring up the post reader count so can get paid more.

I think that's what's happened to EastsideBoxing
GrantZilla
GrantZilla

Back to top Go down

Post  kbyte Tue Mar 08, 2011 6:57 am

I think that would be a bad idea. While Wlad has all the belts he is clearly the heavyweight champ (I know his bro has one but either way casuals are gonna know the champ is Klitshcko). If he were to drop them and then the likes of Arreola and Peter started picking them up it would create confusion as to who is the real champ among the casual fans.
kbyte
kbyte

Back to top Go down

Post  GrantZilla Tue Mar 08, 2011 7:12 am

kbyte wrote:I think that would be a bad idea. While Wlad has all the belts he is clearly the heavyweight champ (I know his bro has one but either way casuals are gonna know the champ is Klitshcko). If he were to drop them and then the likes of Arreola and Peter started picking them up it would create confusion as to who is the real champ among the casual fans.

No it wouldn't. Fuck, Vitali brother got WBC strap, and Gaye got WBA bullshit trinket. Yet anyone knows something about boxing, knows Wlad is the Champ, and is recognized as such.

Look at Martinez. He got stripped of his WBC trinket, Sturm been holding onto his bullshit one for years and is irrelevant outside idiot Germans. Yet Martinez is regarded as the true Middleweight Champ.

GrantZilla
GrantZilla

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Tue Mar 08, 2011 9:04 am

kbyte wrote:I think that would be a bad idea. While Wlad has all the belts he is clearly the heavyweight champ (I know his bro has one but either way casuals are gonna know the champ is Klitshcko). If he were to drop them and then the likes of Arreola and Peter started picking them up it would create confusion as to who is the real champ among the casual fans.
...very true.keep the belts for wlad recognizes that as a accomplishment..each santioning fee is probably different with a cutoff or max in fees..yeah lets create more phoney champs wlad.
the goal of both the brothers stated by them was for both to have belts at the same time.ill interpet that as they value them.untill there forced to go away legaly us fans will have to live with this stuff unfortunetly.weather we like it or not most fighters value that stuff.

Back to top Go down

Post  GrantZilla Tue Mar 08, 2011 9:17 am

Yeah, fighter's value it, but not if their trinkets weren't being recognized.

But just read that Lampley, of course Max, and Merchant would love to just ignore the ABC trinkets, but got dumb fucks like Greenburg and his bullshit policy to acknowledge them.

But times are changing, and top guys at HBO Sports, Greenburg and Davis are not going to have jobs for long it seems.

So hopefully new managment stops the nonsense and confusing casual viewers by crediting every bullshit trinket out there.

These fighters stop being recognized for having straps, or getting paid more for having them, they will stop going after them. Why would they when got to pay for something they won in the ring.
GrantZilla
GrantZilla

Back to top Go down

Post  SlickMoney Tue Mar 08, 2011 11:46 am

Its not just HBO. ESPN and Showtime do it also.
SlickMoney
SlickMoney

Back to top Go down

Post  captainanddew Tue Mar 08, 2011 1:02 pm

SlickMoney wrote:Its not just HBO. ESPN and Showtime do it also.

ESPN does a good job of focusing on the big picture. They will acknowledge belts, but don't glorify them. After the fight on Friday, Tessitore and Atlas were talking about the winner and saying he should be able to crack the ring top 10 and they could see him being around 5 or 6. BK acknowledges the belts but he often references ring rankings.

captainanddew
captainanddew

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Tue Mar 08, 2011 1:29 pm

I think after Vitali retires he might.

Back to top Go down

Post  boxinglawyer Tue Mar 08, 2011 2:48 pm

GrantZilla wrote:Everyone knows he's the HW Champ. He's just wasting money with sanctioning fees, and the bullshit manditories.

I hated Lennox Lewis, but I used to fantasize about him dumping the belts in a garbage can and just saying "I am the champion until I am beaten, keep your worthless titles, I dont need them".

He never did, and Wvlad never will. It just wont ever happen.

boxinglawyer

Back to top Go down

Post  dbudge Tue Mar 08, 2011 3:37 pm

Mayweather used to love his belts too. he used to always have those WBC belts (all 50 of them) on show with his entourage parading them about for him. when he beat Oscar he got elevated to such a status that he doesn't need to do that. he's the biggest draw in boxing, mainly because he's American and mainly because he is the best at what he does. if Mayweather wasn't at that status i bet he'd still be carrying trinkets about with him. i'm sure it has a positive psychological effect on fighters having loads of belts about them. makes them feel like a champion. and i'm sure there is still a whole lot of sentimental value to the guy that's won that title. also, the casual fan can only be impressed by a guy with loads of Gold plated straps about them. they must think "wow, look at all the belts that guy has! he must be good, i'll have to check this guy out"...

however, i'd fucking love it if Wladimir took Haye's title and then chucked them all in the trash at a news conference. but Wladimir has stated repeatedly that it is the "Klitschko dream" to have all major title's between the pair of them so i don't see that happening anytime soon.

also, i wonder if The Ring Magazine is even printed in German. and if it is then i wonder how many copies and how popular it actually is. Germany has had a lot of ABC strap holders (one at a time) so i reckon that it is still a major way for German fighters to self promote by having straps and be formally identified by the fans as an important figure in the prizefighting ring. in fact that's probably true for most countries in Europe definitely including the UK

dbudge

Back to top Go down

Post  SlickMoney Tue Mar 08, 2011 6:01 pm

captainanddew wrote:
SlickMoney wrote:Its not just HBO. ESPN and Showtime do it also.

ESPN does a good job of focusing on the big picture. They will acknowledge belts, but don't glorify them. After the fight on Friday, Tessitore and Atlas were talking about the winner and saying he should be able to crack the ring top 10 and they could see him being around 5 or 6. BK acknowledges the belts but he often references ring rankings.

HBO and Showtime dont glorify them either. We just heard Max's thoughts on trinkets.

Tessitore brought up Sergio Mora's rankings in the WBO and WBA in his last fight.
SlickMoney
SlickMoney

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next