The Boxing Palace
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Great interview of Martinez

4 posters

Go down

Great interview of Martinez  Empty Great interview of Martinez

Post  GrantZilla Fri Feb 25, 2011 6:52 am

His views on the May showdown between Manny Pacquiao and Sugar Shane Mosley:

“I feel that Mosley is not the fighter that he used to be. Mosley was a great fighter and champion as well, but Pacquiao is great champion. The thing with Pacquiao is it’s not a very dangerous fight for him. It just so happens that Pacquiao is always fighting the not-so-dangerous type of fights and fighters.”

His official prediction for his upcoming fight against Serhiy Dzinziruk:

“I’m going to win by knockout before the seventh or eighth round, but it’s going to be a great fight. It’s going to be an exciting fight. I’m not saying it’s going to be easy, but I’m definitely going to knock him out.”
http://www.eastsideboxing.com/news.php?p=27008&more=1
GrantZilla
GrantZilla

Back to top Go down

Great interview of Martinez  Empty Re: Great interview of Martinez

Post  Guest Fri Feb 25, 2011 8:41 am

good honest humble interview..its refreshing.

Back to top Go down

Post  Frank Fri Feb 25, 2011 8:58 am

GrantZilla wrote:His views on the May showdown between Manny Pacquiao and Sugar Shane Mosley:

“I feel that Mosley is not the fighter that he used to be. Mosley was a great fighter and champion as well, but Pacquiao is great champion. The thing with Pacquiao is it’s not a very dangerous fight for him. It just so happens that Pacquiao is always fighting the not-so-dangerous type of fights and fighters.”

“I’m going to win by knockout before the seventh or eighth round, but it’s going to be a great fight. It’s going to be an exciting fight. I’m not saying it’s going to be easy, but I’m definitely going to knock him out.”
http://www.eastsideboxing.com/news.php?p=27008&more=1
Sergio gave a good interview, but can someone please create a list of the fighters they would like Pac to take on? This is getting frustrating. Other than Andre Berto (who is a future Pac victim), he's pretty much cleaning house on the WW division.

Frank

Back to top Go down

Post  Gumby Fri Feb 25, 2011 11:40 am

Frank wrote:Sergio gave a good interview, but can someone please create a list of the fighters they would like Pac to take on? This is getting frustrating. Other than Andre Berto (who is a future Pac victim), he's pretty much cleaning house on the WW division.

The welterweight division has cleaned housed itself. Manny's been the guy to add the polish. Manny hasn't had to beat a streaking fighter on top of his game since he's made the leap. The issue isn't the names he's beaten, it's when he beat them. He's been able to capitalize on guys who have had their flaws recently on display and gotten favorable conditions. I think what Manny has done is remarkable and I'm not trying to take away his shine, but that's why those criticisms are made. Sergio's gone the exact opposite route so I don't take issue with his comment.

I would like to see Pac fight Floyd, Berto, Bradley and Khan. I would've like to seem him fight Mosley instead of Cotto and taken the toughest fight available from then on (that would depend on who had been winning).
Gumby
Gumby

Back to top Go down

Post  Frank Fri Feb 25, 2011 11:43 am

Gumby wrote:
Frank wrote:Sergio gave a good interview, but can someone please create a list of the fighters they would like Pac to take on? This is getting frustrating. Other than Andre Berto (who is a future Pac victim), he's pretty much cleaning house on the WW division.

The welterweight division has cleaned housed itself. Manny's been the guy to add the polish. Manny hasn't had to beat a streaking fighter on top of his game since he's made the leap. The issue isn't the names he's beaten, it's when he beat them. He's been able to capitalize on guys who have had their flaws recently on display and gotten favorable conditions. I think what Manny has done is remarkable and I'm not trying to take away his shine, but that's why those criticisms are made. Sergio's gone the exact opposite route so I don't take issue with his comment.

I would like to see Pac fight Floyd, Berto, Bradley and Khan. I would've like to seem him fight Mosley instead of Cotto and taken the toughest fight available from then on (that would depend on who had been winning).
I see your point, Gumby. However, Khan and Mayweather are difficult fights to sign. Khan is in his camp while Mayweather presently refuses to fight Pac. I think we'll see him fight Berto and Bradley in the future. I don't see him having trouble with either fighter but we'll see.

Frank

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Fri Feb 25, 2011 11:46 am

ill agree on that gumby..cotto although at the time coming off 3 tough fights clottey margo and mosley i feel was still quality oposition.oscar and clottey were not.clottey didnt fight back and hatton i felt was popular not washed up but overated big time..mosley is washed up period now..his chance is early rounds only i feel and thats a maybe..so sergio is giving a honest apprasial which i agree with.

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Fri Feb 25, 2011 11:49 am

bradley is taylor made for pac..berto all of us are underestimating i think..why not paul williams at 150..ask big mouth freddie that lol..

Back to top Go down

Post  Frank Fri Feb 25, 2011 11:50 am

dmar5143 wrote:ill agree on that gumby..cotto although at the time coming off 3 tough fights clottey margo and mosley i feel was still quality oposition.oscar and clottey were not.clottey didnt fight back and hatton i felt was popular not washed up but overated big time..mosley is washed up period now..his chance is early rounds only i feel and thats a maybe..so sergio is giving a honest apprasial which i agree with.
Dmar, I have a question for you. At the present time, do you feel there is one figther that Manny Pacquiao is avoiding?

Frank

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Fri Feb 25, 2011 11:51 am

not realy frank..maybe williams indirectly cause hes never mentioned at all by arum pac or freddie..

Back to top Go down

Post  Gumby Fri Feb 25, 2011 1:29 pm

Sergio is the man and I hope he gets his. As far as Manny and Floyd, regardless of what they do they are forever linked. The elephant in the room on either guys career will be the other unless they fight. Floyd will take the brunt of the criticism, but Manny's career will go down with a major what if that will diminish his legacy. Neither guy can definitively say they are the best in this era and that means a lot in ranking great fighters.
Gumby
Gumby

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Fri Feb 25, 2011 1:47 pm

GrantZilla wrote:His views on the May showdown between Manny Pacquiao and Sugar Shane Mosley:

So I guess that Pacquiao going up several weight classes and fighting De la hoya, Hatton, Cotto, Clottey, & Margarito was "not so dangerous", I like Martinez, but I think he's full of shit on this.

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Fri Feb 25, 2011 1:53 pm

Gumby wrote:Sergio is the man and I hope he gets his. As far as Manny and Floyd, regardless of what they do they are forever linked. The elephant in the room on either guys career will be the other unless they fight. Floyd will take the brunt of the criticism, but Manny's career will go down with a major what if that will diminish his legacy. Neither guy can definitively say they are the best in this era and that means a lot in ranking great fighters.

I totally disagree, Pacquaio's legacy is etched in stone, with or without a fight with Duckweather Jr..

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Fri Feb 25, 2011 2:16 pm

mannys legacy is already established.not fighting mayweather is no major what if.even if they fight and pac losses his legacy is well established..its mayweather who has not one but several what ifs that cant be undone.

Back to top Go down

Post  Gumby Fri Feb 25, 2011 2:39 pm

dmar5143 wrote:mannys legacy is already established.not fighting mayweather is no major what if.even if they fight and pac losses his legacy is well established..its mayweather who has not one but several what ifs that cant be undone.

I'm saying that either legacy can be improved if they fight. It would vault the winner into another category of greatness. They are both HoFers already, but their legacies aren't set in stone until their career is over.

For either Manny or Floyd, being able to say they were the best welterweight of this era would be a big deal. I don't think either can do that until they beat the other. Unless one of them did something crazy like...beat Sergio Martinez at 160.
Gumby
Gumby

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Fri Feb 25, 2011 2:45 pm

Martinez has done everything you could ask of a fighter, and he's done it with class and humility.......yet he is till treated like a B-side fighter by HBO and their accomplices. It makes me sick. I would love to see the middleweight champ defect to Showtime/CBS for a lucrative deal.

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Fri Feb 25, 2011 3:12 pm

Canvas wrote:Martinez has done everything you could ask of a fighter, and he's done it with class and humility.......yet he is till treated like a B-side fighter by HBO and their accomplices. It makes me sick. I would love to see the middleweight champ defect to Showtime/CBS for a lucrative deal.
...yep.

Back to top Go down

Post  Gumby Fri Feb 25, 2011 3:17 pm

Canvas wrote:Martinez has done everything you could ask of a fighter, and he's done it with class and humility.......yet he is till treated like a B-side fighter by HBO and their accomplices. It makes me sick. I would love to see the middleweight champ defect to Showtime/CBS for a lucrative deal.

The sad thing is if Martinez got more exposure, people would love him. Great story, intelligent, thoughtful, charitable, and I hate to say it but he's a good looking dude. He could be a superstar.

Everytime he says something I think, good point. His English isn't bad either.
Gumby
Gumby

Back to top Go down

Post  GrantZilla Fri Feb 25, 2011 9:26 pm

Ring wrote:So I guess that Pacquiao going up several weight classes and fighting De la hoya, Hatton, Cotto, Clottey, & Margarito was "not so dangerous", I like Martinez, but I think he's full of shit on this.

What exactly has Martinez been doing? He's been fighting guys way bigger then him, without catchweights, or circumstances favoring him.

If he was fighting in horse jockey divisions, the size difference between Pavlik and Williams would be easily 4-5 weight classes. Shit, Pavlik showed up weighing as much as nearly Light HW, while Martinez was Jr Middleweight size.

Pac huggers can deny it all they want, but Gumby is correct. Pac opponents been handpicked.

Oscar had to kill himself to make a weight he hadn't fought at in nearly a decade. Hatton was on the decline, Roach even admitted Cotto was not same fighter anymore after Margarito.

The Roach didn't want Pac to fight Mosley when Mosley was calling him out after Magarito beatdown. Saying Mosley too good. Now he's fine with Pac fighting Mosley since Mosley showing signs of being on the decline.

The Roach would never let Pac fight Margarito had not gotten beatdown by Mosley, had a year lay off, and didn't looked like total shit in last fight before Pac

GrantZilla
GrantZilla

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Sat Feb 26, 2011 1:27 pm

GrantZilla wrote:
Ring wrote:So I guess that Pacquiao going up several weight classes and fighting De la hoya, Hatton, Cotto, Clottey, & Margarito was "not so dangerous", I like Martinez, but I think he's full of shit on this.

What exactly has Martinez been doing? He's been fighting guys way bigger then him, without catchweights, or circumstances favoring him.

If he was fighting in horse jockey divisions, the size difference between Pavlik and Williams would be easily 4-5 weight classes. Shit, Pavlik showed up weighing as much as nearly Light HW, while Martinez was Jr Middleweight size.

Pac huggers can deny it all they want, but Gumby is correct. Pac opponents been handpicked.

Oscar had to kill himself to make a weight he hadn't fought at in nearly a decade. Hatton was on the decline, Roach even admitted Cotto was not same fighter anymore after Margarito.

The Roach didn't want Pac to fight Mosley when Mosley was calling him out after Magarito beatdown. Saying Mosley too good. Now he's fine with Pac fighting Mosley since Mosley showing signs of being on the decline.

The Roach would never let Pac fight Margarito had not gotten beatdown by Mosley, had a year lay off, and didn't looked like total shit in last fight before Pac

Funny how when Manny moved up to fight these guys, everyone was fearing for his life because he was so much smaller (no small feat), but after he beats them they're all handpicked chumps. I guess I must be a "Pac hugger", because I thought it was one of the amazing things i've ever seen in boxing.

Last edited by Ring on Sat Feb 26, 2011 1:56 pm; edited 1 time in total

Back to top Go down

Post  captainanddew Sat Feb 26, 2011 1:36 pm

PW doesn't weigh much more than Martinez if anything. He is just extremely tall. The rematch wasn't at 160 for 1 reason!!! PW requested the weight to be below 160.
captainanddew
captainanddew

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down