The Boxing Palace
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Are multi champs realy hurting boxing?

5 posters

Go down

Are multi champs realy hurting boxing? Empty Are multi champs realy hurting boxing?

Post  GrantZilla Fri Feb 11, 2011 9:39 pm

Interesting article on different take on the situation. Comparing how in pro wrestling, where it's all scripted and they could have only a few champs, they have multi champs. And % of boxing Champs to Pro Wrestling Champs

Six championships for 60 wrestlers mean that 10% of the roster holds a championship of some form. Take out the inactive wrestlers and that percentage grows.

Currently, Boxrec.com ranks 1074 active heavyweight contenders. The IBF, WBO and Ring magazine all recognize Wladimir Klitschko as the heavyweight champion. The WBC recognizes his brother Vitali as the heavyweight champion, and the WBA recognizes David Haye as the champ. That means that roughly 0.3% of heavyweights are recognized champions.

So in pro wrestling, which is predetermined and each organization can dictate exactly how many champions it wants, roughly 10% of the roster of any given organization will be a champion. In the most glamorous division of the sport of boxing, in which many ardent followers bitterly complain about the lack of a single champion per division, 0.3% of the participants are recognized as champion.

Just to be sure the heavyweights weren’t an anomaly, I tried what I consider the second-most prestigious division historically, the welterweights.

Boxrec.com ranks 1400 active welterweights, with four recognized as welterweight champion by the various organizations: Manny Pacquiao (and before Tim Starks or Eric Raskin can say it, yes, I included this division for the PacHits; Google loves names buried 1,200 words into an article), Andre Berto, Jan Zavek, and Vyacheslav Senchenko. Ring magazine does not currently recognize a welterweight champion. And wouldn’t you know it, roughly 0.3% of welterweights are recognized as champions.

http://queensberry-rules.com/2011-articles/february/deeper-into-the-meme-are-boxing-championships-devalued-by-their-abundance.html
GrantZilla
GrantZilla

Back to top Go down

Are multi champs realy hurting boxing? Empty Re: Are multi champs realy hurting boxing?

Post  powerpuncher Fri Feb 11, 2011 9:43 pm

the difference is that the people who watch WWE know pretty much every single wrestler. when we are talking about the known people, its a lot smaller percentage.
powerpuncher
powerpuncher

Back to top Go down

Are multi champs realy hurting boxing? Empty Re: Are multi champs realy hurting boxing?

Post  GrantZilla Fri Feb 11, 2011 9:45 pm

powerpuncher wrote:the difference is that the people who watch WWE know pretty much every single wrestler. when we are talking about the known people, its a lot smaller percentage.

Exactly. And wrestling can artificialy build a guy up into a name. You can't do that in boxing. Even if promoters try, it almost always ends up failing.

Look at all guys HBO tried to build up into names.
GrantZilla
GrantZilla

Back to top Go down

Post  Soonermark890 Fri Feb 11, 2011 9:53 pm

Its a very good article but I disagree completely.
Soonermark890
Soonermark890
Admin

https://theboxingpalace.forumotion.com

Back to top Go down

Post  GrantZilla Fri Feb 11, 2011 9:57 pm

Soonermark890 wrote:Its a very good article but I disagree completely.

I totaly disagree too. But I did find it interesting the % of Champs in a division. Even with all multi "champs" the number is pretty low.

Why it seems like there tons of guys with belts, is because they get on TV. Because TV people are still clueless and think title fights equel higher ratings. They are the ones that gave the power to the ABC belts.

And why HBO and Showtime can't give me a legit answer on why don't just ignore the ABC belts and only recognize Ring belt like ESPN does. They sure like to bitch about multi belts in boxing on the air, but when given an alternative, they stick their head in the sand. Because they don't want to admit they use these ABC belts to their benifit. Where can say they have the Champs on their network.
GrantZilla
GrantZilla

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Fri Feb 11, 2011 11:09 pm

i disagree also with the article..freak said there are 265 total fighters in ufc or whatever..what then a champ for ever 25 fighters..fuck that writer..

Back to top Go down

Post  flapanther2001 Sat Feb 12, 2011 12:51 am

I don't get the comparison. WTF does a scripted entertainment non professional sport show have to do with boxing? Wrestling is a show...period! The amount of "champions" means nothing. They are champions of nothing. You might as well start tracking how many actors there are compared to how many have starring roles in TV or movies.
flapanther2001
flapanther2001

Back to top Go down

Post  GrantZilla Sat Feb 12, 2011 1:27 am

I think his point was, in a scripted universe where they can have one champ, pro wrestling has multi champs for a very small amount of wrestlers in their originization. His logic is, if having few Champs makes a sport more popular, why wouldn't a scripted reality do that?

And that is belief that titles help sell.
GrantZilla
GrantZilla

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Sat Feb 12, 2011 3:42 am

He's really doing a sober comparison between boxing and pro wrestling ?

Back to top Go down

Post  GrantZilla Sat Feb 12, 2011 3:45 am

I think interesting different take. I don't agree with it. But said, I did find it interesting that out recognized bullshit belts, only .3% of boxers in a division are recognized as a champion.

GrantZilla
GrantZilla

Back to top Go down

Post  dbudge Sat Feb 12, 2011 1:06 pm

can i just ask a question? on a normal Boxing TV broadcast (non PPV), how many fights are actually shown? whether they are 4 rounders, 6, 8, 10, 12 etc? are the guys that are coming through the ranks actually given any air time to build their stars? or do the networks strictly only show guys with trinkets or known names???

dbudge

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Sat Feb 12, 2011 1:38 pm

My favorite WWE belt use to be the Intercontinental title Laughing

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down