The Boxing Palace
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

OK this shit is just stupid

+4
flapanther2001
bird
GrantZilla
Soonermark890
8 posters

Page 3 of 3 Previous  1, 2, 3

Go down

OK this shit is just stupid - Page 3 Empty Re: OK this shit is just stupid

Post  Soonermark890 Tue Feb 22, 2011 8:34 pm

GrantZilla wrote:If it wasn't Columbus, it'd been someone else. Spain was already venturing out to those areas. France was on the verge too, ect, ect.

Shit, the Japanese probably would have eventualy as well, since they were always desperate to expand from their little island.

I just like how Native Americans act like they are only ones this happened to. What you think Brits did to Ireland and Scotland? OR what Romen did to pretty much everybody? Or what Aztecs were doing.
My guess is that they damn sure dont have a national holiday in Ireland for those who tried to take them over. Your logic here seems to be that if someone else did it its ok. Celebrating Columbus in this country is a joke. Did he discover America? No. Did he kill the native people to America? Yes. Was he American? No. So Why do we have a holiday for him? What purpose does it serve? Also Native Americans are just pointing out the fact that the holiday is a joke.
Soonermark890
Soonermark890
Admin

https://theboxingpalace.forumotion.com

Back to top Go down

Post  Soonermark890 Tue Feb 22, 2011 8:39 pm

Ring wrote:
Soonermark890 wrote:Thats how I feel. Am I going to go out and protest it? No. I have enough sense that I can just ignore it but that still doesnt mean that I like it.

In 1937 President Franklin Roosevelt proclaimed every October 12 as Columbus Day, that's where it remained until 1971 when Congress declared it a federal public holiday on the second Monday in October. Kind of odd that it didn't become a fed holiday until 1971, and even odder that it became a holiday at all, considering that Columbus never even saw or set foot on mainland America.

And that he committed genocide on those islands that he visited looking for gold.

Columbus was more responsible for starting the biggest genocide in history rather than him and his men actually doing it themselves. Columbus paved the way, but only did a fraction of the damage done later by his successors, like Francisco Pizzaro or Hernan Cortes.
The estimate is 4 million to 18 million Native Americans were killed or died by disease by the end. Columbus on his voyages have been estimated to have killed from 6-10 thousand. That is no small amount.
Soonermark890
Soonermark890
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  GrantZilla Tue Feb 22, 2011 9:49 pm

Again, we have a month named after a Roman Emperor took over, and executed more people compared to Native Americans.

Vlad the Impaler aka Dracula is celibrated and considered Romanian hero in Romania. Go read about what Vlad to to Germans and Turks, and some his favorite ways to torture a person. Favorite of course, imapling you, hence nickname

Mongolia continue to honor Genghis Khan

Alexander the Great is continued to be honored, with entir cities named after him, from Alexandria, Egypt ect. Yeah, same Alexander the Great who supposedly crucified 2000 survivors from his siege of the Phoenician city of Tyre
GrantZilla
GrantZilla

Back to top Go down

Post  Soonermark890 Tue Feb 22, 2011 10:02 pm

GrantZilla wrote:Again, we have a month named after a Roman Emperor took over, and executed more people compared to Native Americans.

Vlad the Impaler aka Dracula is celibrated and considered Romanian hero in Romania. Go read about what Vlad to to Germans and Turks, and some his favorite ways to torture a person. Favorite of course, imapling you, hence nickname

Mongolia continue to honor Genghis Khan

Alexander the Great is continued to be honored, with entir cities named after him, from Alexandria, Egypt ect. Yeah, same Alexander the Great who supposedly crucified 2000 survivors from his siege of the Phoenician city of Tyre
But the difference is that a guy like Vlad is not honored in Germany. Columbus is honored in the country where he caused genocide. Thats the difference between him and others. It would be like the people in Israel having a Hitler day.
Soonermark890
Soonermark890
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  GrantZilla Tue Feb 22, 2011 10:27 pm

Well, if Germany was taken over by Romania, they'd have no choice to celibrate him, would they.

Like that joke, had we lost WWII, we'd all be speaking German.

Almost all US is built off of English colonization. Why English, even though not official language, is what's spoken and read in the US. Not Navajo.

The Queen is the Monarch and Head of State of 16 independent countries in the world, the most known being UK United Kingdom, Canada, Australia, New Zealand, etc.

GrantZilla
GrantZilla

Back to top Go down

Post  Soonermark890 Wed Feb 23, 2011 9:45 am

GrantZilla wrote:Well, if Germany was taken over by Romania, they'd have no choice to celibrate him, would they.

Almost all US is built off of English colonization. Why English, even though not official language, is what's spoken and read in the US. Not Navajo.

The Queen is the Monarch and Head of State of 16 independent countries in the world, the most known being UK United Kingdom, Canada, Australia, New Zealand, etc.

Thats odd Columbus was Italian and worked for the Spanish but we were taken over by England. So I dont understand why the British or Americans would celebrate an Italian explorer working for the Spanish who killed upwards of 10,000 of the native people to this country.
Soonermark890
Soonermark890
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  bird Wed Feb 23, 2011 10:27 pm

I am studying Tx History so Spanish Empire is a big part, the numbers someone gave are way off

In the 1500's there were atleast 95 million native americans in north America, by 1750 there were around 4 million

It wasnt ass hole genocide, genocide probably killed 2 % of the population, it was the disease that came with the europeans that did them all in

bird

Back to top Go down

Post  bird Wed Feb 23, 2011 10:29 pm

Soonermark890 wrote:
GrantZilla wrote:Well, if Germany was taken over by Romania, they'd have no choice to celibrate him, would they.

Thats odd Columbus was Italian and worked for the Spanish but we were taken over by England. So I dont understand why the British or Americans would celebrate an Italian explorer working for the Spanish who killed upwards of 10,000 of the native people to this country.

Pretty simple, If Columbus doesnt discover Cuba and the West Indies shit doesnt pop off with everyone coming west

bird

Back to top Go down

Post  Soonermark890 Wed Feb 23, 2011 11:00 pm

bird wrote:
Soonermark890 wrote:

Pretty simple, If Columbus doesnt discover Cuba and the West Indies shit doesnt pop off with everyone coming west
So are you saying we should be celebrating a guy who wiped out a few small islands looking for gold?
Soonermark890
Soonermark890
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  bird Wed Feb 23, 2011 11:29 pm

I have no problem with Columbus day, we have Andrew Jackson on the 20 dolalr bill if you really want to talk about mass genocide.

bird

Back to top Go down

Post  Soonermark890 Wed Feb 23, 2011 11:40 pm

bird wrote:I have no problem with Columbus day, we have Andrew Jackson on the 20 dolalr bill if you really want to talk about mass genocide.
Yeah I am not a big fan of him either but lets not go off on that topic. LOL
Soonermark890
Soonermark890
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  bird Thu Feb 24, 2011 6:10 pm

just pointed out cause I think its silly to try and paint Columbus as a genocide plotting mass exterminator when he was not, the indians he ran into were put into labor, and then Spain came and set up missions all over New Spain, hoping to convert the natives.

On the other hand we have a president whos personal goal was manifest destiny, exterminating and removing the indigineous people of the americas.

bird

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 3 of 3 Previous  1, 2, 3