The Boxing Palace
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Orlando Canizales

+2
Soonermark890
boxinglawyer
6 posters

Go down

Orlando Canizales Empty Orlando Canizales

Post  boxinglawyer Thu Feb 10, 2011 12:16 am

Why does nobody ever talk about his guy anymore? He was one of my favorite fighters and watching some of his old fights today I saw a little of my favorite fighter, Ricardo Lopez, in him. The way he could slug, counter-punch, jab and move, fight inside-outside-mid range, whatever. Dude was a good little fighter imo. I think he should get a little more recognition.

boxinglawyer

Back to top Go down

Orlando Canizales Empty Re: Orlando Canizales

Post  Soonermark890 Thu Feb 10, 2011 12:18 am

Is it bad that I have no clue who he is?
Soonermark890
Soonermark890
Admin

https://theboxingpalace.forumotion.com

Back to top Go down

Post  boxinglawyer Thu Feb 10, 2011 12:26 am

Depending on your age,not really. He was a bantamweight champion form the good ole USA. He made a record number of title defenses and faced some pretty solid fighters. His fight with Junior jones after he moved up in weight is still one of the WIERDEST scored bouts i have ever seen. The fight was nip and tuck with he MUCH larger, taller, and longer Junior trying to jab and dance to victory while Orlando constantly worked inside and fought. Everyone was expecting a very close 114-113 type score and instead all three judges had a winner by 7 points on every card, but BOTH ways!?!?!? Very strange fight. His two bouts with Kelvin Seabrooks were very good and his entire 115 reign was full of fun fights.

(his brother also won a title)

boxinglawyer

Back to top Go down

Post  powerpuncher Thu Feb 10, 2011 3:16 am

never heard of him but im pretty young compared to a lot of people here so i guess it makes sense.
powerpuncher
powerpuncher

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Thu Feb 10, 2011 8:03 am

I'll have a look out for the Jr Jones fight.

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Thu Feb 10, 2011 12:14 pm

I remember Orlando Canizales and his brother "Gaby", they were from Laredo, Texas. A bordertown in South Texas, not too far from where I was living, part of that time, in Corpus Christi, Tx, when they were active. Orlando successfully defended his IBF bantamweight title 16 consecutive times, from 1988 until 1995, at the time, little guys (bantamweights) didn't get as much attention as they do now. Orlando had a classic style and was loads of fun to watch.

http://www.doghouseboxing.com/News/Rios/Rios041704.htm

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Thu Feb 10, 2011 1:00 pm

He was a good fighter is right. It KILLS me he somehow got into the HOF though.

He was one of those guys who was really good fighting one way. If he imposed his style? Look out. If you had a way of making him fight any other way? He wasn't nearly as good. Of course that's true of 99.999% of all fighters.

Like a lot of guys of the 1990's strapholders there is a long list of guys in the division you wish he'd fought. Raul Perez, Izzy Contreras, Luisito Espinosa and Wayne McCullough for starters.

Back to top Go down

Post  captainanddew Thu Feb 10, 2011 1:33 pm

anyone with some free time dig up some video and put it in the video section (that is what it is for). I remember him but I could use a refresher.
captainanddew
captainanddew

Back to top Go down

Post  Rum Capital Thu Feb 10, 2011 2:12 pm

he had a very close and entertaining fight with wilfredo vazquez
you are right marb it would have been good to see canizalez against el jibaro.
Rum Capital
Rum Capital

Back to top Go down

Post  Rum Capital Thu Feb 10, 2011 2:13 pm

captainanddew wrote:anyone with some free time dig up some video and put it in the video section (that is what it is for). I remember him but I could use a refresher.
Rum Capital
Rum Capital

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Thu Feb 10, 2011 2:48 pm

I LMAO everytime I see that gay, "Macho" Camacho gif Rum. WTF has Hector been doing these days, last I heard he was in the slammer, he wasn't the sharpest tack in the box outside the ring was he. clown

Back to top Go down

Post  Rum Capital Thu Feb 10, 2011 5:03 pm

Ring wrote:I LMAO everytime I see that gay, "Macho" Camacho gif Rum. WTF has Hector been doing these days, last I heard he was in the slammer, he wasn't the sharpest tack in the box outside the ring was he. clown

"rythm is gonna gettt yyoouuu!!!" lol
Rum Capital
Rum Capital

Back to top Go down

Post  flapanther2001 Thu Feb 10, 2011 5:48 pm

Ring wrote:I LMAO everytime I see that gay, "Macho" Camacho gif Rum. WTF has Hector been doing these days, last I heard he was in the slammer, he wasn't the sharpest tack in the box outside the ring was he. clown
He's dancing with the Puerto Rican Stars...... http://mqb.univision.mobi/
flapanther2001
flapanther2001

Back to top Go down

Post  boxinglawyer Thu Feb 10, 2011 6:04 pm

marbleheadmaui wrote:He was a good fighter is right. It KILLS me he somehow got into the HOF though.

He was one of those guys who was really good fighting one way. If he imposed his style? Look out. If you had a way of making him fight any other way? He wasn't nearly as good. Of course that's true of 99.999% of all fighters.

Like a lot of guys of the 1990's strapholders there is a long list of guys in the division you wish he'd fought. Raul Perez, Izzy Contreras, Luisito Espinosa and Wayne McCullough for starters.

I am suprised to hear that. Canizales was a great fighter. Heck, I can name 20 guys in the HOF right now that he trumps without using more than half his career. Orlando could do more than fight on the inside, but he usually wound up there because he was a NATURAL bantam. THe guy could not even move up if he wanted to until he was in his late 20's which is pretty old for a bantam. His fight with Vasquez was very revealing to me. i thought he could have won the fight and he was much, much, much, smaller than Wilfredo. that Hook to the body he had made many a larger man run like a 12 year old girl rather than face him in close. His style with short arms and short height made it natural that he would perfect getting inside and unloading combinations as well as hone counterpunching skills. In every one of his fights he would at some point put the other guy completley off his game by backing off and jabbing them to death after spending all his time working in and unloading on them. Usually, when you saw him do that, he was close to a stoppage win and was trying to get the other guy to loosen up "just a little" so he could land a finisher. Most of the time he did. That 16 straight defenses is STRONG in that division. VERY strong. At bantam, even the average guys are pretty good.............

boxinglawyer

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down