The Boxing Palace
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Manny Pacquiao vs Shane Mosley sells 16,000 tickets in 3 hours

5 posters

Go down

Manny Pacquiao vs Shane Mosley sells 16,000 tickets in 3 hours Empty Manny Pacquiao vs Shane Mosley sells 16,000 tickets in 3 hours

Post  Guest Mon Jan 31, 2011 9:08 pm

Pacman Fever hit MGM Grand this morning with one of the biggest ticket runs in Las Vegas boxing history. Between 10 a.m. and 1 p.m. PT, 16,000 tickets were sold to the Manny Pacquiao vs. Sugar Shane Mosley world welterweight championship. Barely 1,000 seats remain for Pacquiao’s return to the Fight Capital of the World, where he hasn’t fought since 2009.

“Incredible. Simply incredible,” exclaimed Hall of Fame promoter Bob Arum when he heard the news today. “I have never promoted a fight that has sold so many tickets so quickly. Manny Pacquiao never ceases to amaze the world with his achievements. The excitement he generated today with the initial ticket sales makes it feel like fight week already!”

Boxing’s No. 1 pound-for-pound box office attraction and the Fighter of the Decade, Pacquiao (53-3-2, 38 KOs), the lone congressional representative from the Sarangani province in the Philippines, defends his World Boxing Organization (WBO) welterweight title against three-division world champion and future Hall of Famer Mosley (46-6-1, 39 KOs), of Pomona, Calif. Pacquiao vs. Mosley erupts on Saturday, May 7 at MGM Grand in Las Vegas, Nev.

Promoted by Top Rank, in association with MP Promotions, Sugar Shane Mosley Promotions and MGM Grand, remaining tickets to Pacquiao vs. Mosley, priced at $1,000, $750, and $300, can be purchased through Ticketmaster. To charge by phone, with a major credit card, call Ticketmaster (800) 745-3000. Tickets are also available for purchase at www.mgmgrand.com or www.ticketmaster.com . Ticket sales at $1,000, $750, and $300 are limited to 10 per person.

Pacquiao vs. Mosley will be produced and distributed Live on SHOWTIME PPV®, beginning at 9 p.m. ET/6 p.m. PT. For Pacquiao vs. Mosley fight week updates, log on to www.sports.SHO.com or www.toprank.com

http://www.boxingscene.com/pacquiao-mosley-16000-tickets-sold-first-three-hours--35429

Back to top Go down

Manny Pacquiao vs Shane Mosley sells 16,000 tickets in 3 hours Empty Re: Manny Pacquiao vs Shane Mosley sells 16,000 tickets in 3 hours

Post  hardcorebee24 Mon Jan 31, 2011 9:15 pm

Jesus!!! This guy is a fan favorite now. He's a huge huge star.
hardcorebee24
hardcorebee24

Back to top Go down

Manny Pacquiao vs Shane Mosley sells 16,000 tickets in 3 hours Empty Re: Manny Pacquiao vs Shane Mosley sells 16,000 tickets in 3 hours

Post  gomez1012 Mon Jan 31, 2011 9:29 pm

ticket brokers
gomez1012
gomez1012

Back to top Go down

Post  hardcorebee24 Mon Jan 31, 2011 9:30 pm

gomez1012 wrote:ticket brokers

Makes my point even more so. He sells above asking price.
hardcorebee24
hardcorebee24

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Mon Jan 31, 2011 9:32 pm

Huh, shows what I know.

Back to top Go down

Post  gomez1012 Mon Jan 31, 2011 9:36 pm

hardcorebee24 wrote:
gomez1012 wrote:ticket brokers

Makes my point even more so. He sells above asking price.

Si senor, Vegas needs this
gomez1012
gomez1012

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Tue Feb 01, 2011 7:27 am

thats amazing..i dont care who bought the tickets..ticket brokers arent stupid and theres a demand for this fight and it will be over the printed ticket price...if kelly pavik get on the card thats also a plus...1000 seats left after 3 hours now there probably none left.i dont think any of us is crazy over this fight but the news is a possitive not only for vegas which is a great fight town but for boxing also..

Back to top Go down

Post  GrantZilla Tue Feb 01, 2011 7:41 am

I'm more excited and interested in this fight being moved to Showtime-CBS then I am about the fight.

I'd like to be excited about it. I just can't. Why I not gonna be buying it.
GrantZilla
GrantZilla

Back to top Go down

Post  captainanddew Tue Feb 01, 2011 8:08 am

GrantZilla wrote:I'm more excited and interested in this fight being moved to Showtime-CBS then I am about the fight.

I'd like to be excited about it. I just can't. Why I not gonna be buying it.

i'm with you grant. The fight won't excite me, but the fact that Arum has gotten showtime and cbs involved is great for the sport.
captainanddew
captainanddew

Back to top Go down

Post  Frank Tue Feb 01, 2011 8:27 am

The fight won't be competitive but Manny puts on a great show.

Frank

Back to top Go down

Post  hardcorebee24 Tue Feb 01, 2011 8:46 am

Will Manny make this fight competitive for the fans? Will he carry Shane and make it close? I feel he carried Margarito the last few rounds and did the same with Cotto. I have a feeling that's what will happen here.
hardcorebee24
hardcorebee24

Back to top Go down

Post  GrantZilla Tue Feb 01, 2011 8:55 am

Frank wrote:The fight won't be competitive but Manny puts on a great show.

Not worth 50 bucks, plus service fees, plus more for HD. F-k that. I could rent 20 movies for less then at on Netflicks.

If it was on regular Showtime, or even better CBS, nobody have a problem with this fight. In fact, Manny would get major PR if he had fight on CBS or regular Showtime. Could say giving back to fans or whatever.

But nah, Manny is PPV diva. S hit, has ever had a non PPV fight in the US?
GrantZilla
GrantZilla

Back to top Go down

Post  hardcorebee24 Tue Feb 01, 2011 8:59 am

GrantZilla wrote:
Frank wrote:The fight won't be competitive but Manny puts on a great show.

Not worth 50 bucks, plus service fees, plus more for HD. F-k that. I could rent 20 movies for less then at on Netflicks.

If it was on regular Showtime, or even better CBS, nobody have a problem with this fight. In fact, Manny would get major PR if he had fight on CBS or regular Showtime. Could say giving back to fans or whatever.

But nah, Manny is PPV diva. S hit, has ever had a non PPV fight in the US?

Or he could work out a deal to give up the fees for rights and get a piece of the advertising revenue and say he's giving back to the fans. That would give CBS a break on the rights as overhead and still wind up making more money. Everybody would win in that scenario it's just that the promoters can do less work and make more money with it being on PPV.
hardcorebee24
hardcorebee24

Back to top Go down

Post  GrantZilla Tue Feb 01, 2011 9:03 am

Yeah. And greedy Manny wouldn't be down for that. He wants guranteed cash
GrantZilla
GrantZilla

Back to top Go down

Post  hardcorebee24 Tue Feb 01, 2011 9:08 am

GrantZilla wrote:Yeah. And greedy Manny wouldn't be down for that. He wants guranteed cash

It's the whole post Tyson culture of boxing. PPV means success. The sport has shrunk yet big name fighters are fighting less and making more money. We keep thinking the well will eventually dry up and folks will not buy PPV's but it hasn't been the case. With 50" HD TV and ticket prices that are 400$ for decent seats, 50 bucks seems like a bargain. There is always an exciting fighter that will draw and carry the sport. We as hardcore boxing fans are the guys that lose out. It's a shame.
hardcorebee24
hardcorebee24

Back to top Go down

Post  GrantZilla Tue Feb 01, 2011 9:23 am

Actually, I think well has pretty much dried up. We're now in the Post PPV Premiem Channel Boxing era.

Manny and Mayweather are last PPV draws as of now. How'd they become big PPVs draws? Off of Oscar, the last of the fighters who made their names on network TV.

What big PPVs besides Pac are there? None. HBO might not put on major PPV this entire year now. Only way they can is if Mayweather able to fight this year. Or lure Pac back for his next fight.

Maybe a fighter make a name for himself defeating Pac or Mayweather down the road. But that's about it.

None of younger boxers right now can carry a major PPV. Probably never will. They don't got exposure. Oscar gave Pac and Mayweather the exposure they needed by beating him.

Eventualy boxing going to have to re-do things and get back offering fighters to most people possible to build names and re-grow the auidence.
GrantZilla
GrantZilla

Back to top Go down

Post  hardcorebee24 Tue Feb 01, 2011 9:49 am

GrantZilla wrote:Actually, I think well has pretty much dried up. We're now in the Post PPV Premiem Channel Boxing era.

Manny and Mayweather are last PPV draws as of now. How'd they become big PPVs draws? Off of Oscar, the last of the fighters who made their names on network TV.

What big PPVs besides Pac are there? None. HBO might not put on major PPV this entire year now. Only way they can is if Mayweather able to fight this year. Or lure Pac back for his next fight.

Maybe a fighter make a name for himself defeating Pac or Mayweather down the road. But that's about it.

None of younger boxers right now can carry a major PPV. Probably never will. They don't got exposure. Oscar gave Pac and Mayweather the exposure they needed by beating him.

Eventualy boxing going to have to re-do things and get back offering fighters to most people possible to build names and re-grow the auidence.

That's what it's always taken. That's what use to put fans in seats, now it makes agoraphobics buy PPV's . To see the guy who can beat the best. The contender who becomes the champ. Which is why PAC fighting Mosley is good for Pac and bad for the sport. You're right none of the younger guys can carry a PPV. Pac should fight winner of the unofficial 140lb tourney and let one of those guys try and take his p4p crown and welterweightish title. If they don't beat him we still have Pac carrying the sport, if they do then we usher in a new era. Like you said Oscar ushered in Pac and Mayweather, Pac and Mayweather should be doing the same or at least fighting each other. If any one of these scenarios occurs we might see a new PPV draw. Who would have thunk that a Filipino with limited English would be so huge here in the states? He's making money and selling out venues. Pac can usher in the new Era of boxing. Bradley and Khan just need a few more high profile fights and one against each other and we might have a new PPV draw on our hands.
hardcorebee24
hardcorebee24

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down