The Boxing Palace
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Manny Pacquiao vs Shane Mosley set for May 7th

+4
nano212
powerpuncher
flapanther2001
Soonermark890
8 posters

Go down

Manny Pacquiao vs Shane Mosley set for May 7th Empty Manny Pacquiao vs Shane Mosley set for May 7th

Post  Guest Tue Dec 21, 2010 10:14 pm

Pound-for-pound king Manny Pacquiao, unable to even get a response from Floyd Mayweather Jr. gauging his interest in a fight, instead will defend his welterweight belt against former champion Shane Mosley on May 7 in a pay-per-view fight at the MGM Grand in Las Vegas.

"We came to a meeting of the minds," Top Rank promoter Bob Arum told ESPN.com on Tuesday night after a final meeting with Mosley and his adviser, James Prince, at the Top Rank offices in Las Vegas. "[Top Rank matchmaker] Bruce Trample says it's a very difficult fight. I believe it will be an exciting fight. Shane knows how to fight and how to deal with the speed. Manny is in for a hellacious fight. I really believe styles make fights."

Arum said the fight will take place at the welterweight limit of 147 pounds.

The deal is not unexpected. For weeks, Arum has been laying the groundwork for the match, an unpopular one with hardcore fight fans because many consider the 39-year-old Mosley (46-6-1, 39 KOs) to be past his prime.

He was routed by Mayweather in May and fought to a desultory draw with Sergio Mora in a junior middleweight fight in September.

But he got the fight over lightweight champion Juan Manuel Marquez and welterweight titlist Andre Berto. Arum had solicited term sheets from all three before going to the Philippines last week to attend Pacquiao's 32nd birthday party and to go over the particulars for all three potential opponents.

Arum said Pacquiao (52-3-23, 38 KOs) settled on Mosley during a meeting last week and that he wrapped things up with Mosley on Tuesday.

"I think it's a good fight. I feel that Shane is one of the toughest guys left out there right now," said Freddie Roach, Pacquiao's trainer. "He didn't get up for 'The Contender' guy [Mora], but he will get up for Manny Pacquiao. It's a difficult fight because Shane has speed and power. He's getting a little older, which is in our favor, but I expect Shane to be at his best because he's wanted this fight for a long time. I will get Pacquiao well prepared for this one."

http://sports.espn.go.com/sports/boxing/news/story?id=5944532

Evil or Very Mad Evil or Very Mad Evil or Very Mad Evil or Very Mad Evil or Very Mad Evil or Very Mad

Back to top Go down

Manny Pacquiao vs Shane Mosley set for May 7th Empty Re: Manny Pacquiao vs Shane Mosley set for May 7th

Post  Soonermark890 Tue Dec 21, 2010 10:36 pm

This is a sad sad day for boxing fans.
Soonermark890
Soonermark890
Admin

https://theboxingpalace.forumotion.com

Back to top Go down

Manny Pacquiao vs Shane Mosley set for May 7th Empty Re: Manny Pacquiao vs Shane Mosley set for May 7th

Post  flapanther2001 Tue Dec 21, 2010 11:27 pm

Sleep ...fffffffffffffffffffffffffftttttttttttttttttttttttttttttfffffffffffffffffffffffffrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrttttttttttt Sleep
flapanther2001
flapanther2001

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Tue Dec 21, 2010 11:28 pm

The question is will Manny crack that granite chin, will the ref step in or will Nazeem throw in the towel ?

Back to top Go down

Post  Soonermark890 Tue Dec 21, 2010 11:32 pm

Ali wrote:The question is will Manny crack that granite chin, will the ref step in or will Nazeem throw in the towel ?
I think manny will crack that chin around round 7. Even then I dont think its a great win. Good win? yes I guess. This might be the first time I am not excited to see a Pac fight.
Soonermark890
Soonermark890
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Tue Dec 21, 2010 11:40 pm

Soonermark890 wrote:
Ali wrote:The question is will Manny crack that granite chin, will the ref step in or will Nazeem throw in the towel ?
I think manny will crack that chin around round 7. Even then I dont think its a great win. Good win? yes I guess. This might be the first time I am not excited to see a Pac fight.

I can see the towel being thrown in, Manny will go for the finish about round 7,8 or 9 which will force Naz to throw in the towel.

Back to top Go down

Post  powerpuncher Tue Dec 21, 2010 11:41 pm

Ali wrote:Pound-for-pound king Manny Pacquiao, unable to even get a response from Floyd Mayweather Jr. gauging his interest in a fight, instead will defend his welterweight belt against former champion Shane Mosley on May 7 in a pay-per-view fight at the MGM Grand in Las Vegas.

"We came to a meeting of the minds," Top Rank promoter Bob Arum told ESPN.com on Tuesday night after a final meeting with Mosley and his adviser, James Prince, at the Top Rank offices in Las Vegas. "[Top Rank matchmaker] Bruce Trample says it's a very difficult fight. I believe it will be an exciting fight. Shane knows how to fight and how to deal with the speed. Manny is in for a hellacious fight. I really believe styles make fights."

Arum said the fight will take place at the welterweight limit of 147 pounds.

The deal is not unexpected. For weeks, Arum has been laying the groundwork for the match, an unpopular one with hardcore fight fans because many consider the 39-year-old Mosley (46-6-1, 39 KOs) to be past his prime.

He was routed by Mayweather in May and fought to a desultory draw with Sergio Mora in a junior middleweight fight in September.

But he got the fight over lightweight champion Juan Manuel Marquez and welterweight titlist Andre Berto. Arum had solicited term sheets from all three before going to the Philippines last week to attend Pacquiao's 32nd birthday party and to go over the particulars for all three potential opponents.

Arum said Pacquiao (52-3-23, 38 KOs) settled on Mosley during a meeting last week and that he wrapped things up with Mosley on Tuesday.

"I think it's a good fight. I feel that Shane is one of the toughest guys left out there right now," said Freddie Roach, Pacquiao's trainer. "He didn't get up for 'The Contender' guy [Mora], but he will get up for Manny Pacquiao. It's a difficult fight because Shane has speed and power. He's getting a little older, which is in our favor, but I expect Shane to be at his best because he's wanted this fight for a long time. I will get Pacquiao well prepared for this one."

http://sports.espn.go.com/sports/boxing/news/story?id=5944532

Evil or Very Mad Evil or Very Mad Evil or Very Mad Evil or Very Mad Evil or Very Mad Evil or Very Mad
obviously you think that he is done! thats why you wanted nothing to do with him until you knew that he had nothing left! now you are talking about his speed and power. both have gone way down and he wont be able to last.
powerpuncher
powerpuncher

Back to top Go down

Post  nano212 Tue Dec 21, 2010 11:50 pm

So Shane gets wiped out by Floyd and then in his next bout is winded by the 3rd or 4th round against sorry ass Mora and he still wants PPV with Pac? If Pacquiao deserves a "easy" fight ok but to put it on PPV and sell it with another bullshit 24/7 show fuck that! Put it on HBO and have a nice undercard fight and wait for Mayweather or fight Berto in the fall.
nano212
nano212

Back to top Go down

Post  GrantZilla Tue Dec 21, 2010 11:54 pm

This always my reaction when I hear bullshit fights like this:
GrantZilla
GrantZilla

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Wed Dec 22, 2010 12:01 am

GrantZilla wrote:This always my reaction when I hear bullshit fights like this:

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Wed Dec 22, 2010 1:15 am

i dont know if its a sad day for boxing but it sure is a disappointing one.public opinion as arum expressed to raefeal means nothing.he prove it now...the K brothers control there destiny that i feel should be commended...most boxers including manny seem content i guess in having little or no imput on who they would like to fight.
even though this was expected by almost everyone here but it somehow feels like a small shock..maybe our logic on whats the most desireable fight of the three or the least deireable of the three went out the window..they chose the least desireable as far as the boxing public sees this..disappointing for sure.

Back to top Go down

Post  Diego408 Wed Dec 22, 2010 1:54 am

Manny Pacquiao is fighting a bunch of old stiffs now. He isnt doing anything for the sport, hes irrelevant to me. I can care less about fighters like Manny and Flomo, theyre in the same class, fooling the public by beating unchallenging names to boost their status. Martinez, Pascal, Marquez, Wlad (and the guys in the 3 tourneys and the dudes at 140) are guys represent boxing to the fullest, taking on a threat fight after fight.
Diego408
Diego408

Back to top Go down

Post  Soonermark890 Wed Dec 22, 2010 1:54 am

dmar5143 wrote:i dont know if its a sad day for boxing but it sure is a disappointing one.public opinion as arum expressed to raefeal means nothing.he prove it now...the K brothers control there destiny that i feel should be commended...most boxers including manny seem content i guess in having little or no imput on who they would like to fight.
even though this was expected by almost everyone here but it somehow feels like a small shock..maybe our logic on whats the most desireable fight of the three or the least deireable of the three went out the window..they chose the least desireable as far as the boxing public sees this..disappointing for sure.
The sad thing is I will probably buy the PPV because I love to watch manny fight.
Soonermark890
Soonermark890
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  GrantZilla Wed Dec 22, 2010 3:26 am

There is a little glee for me though. Because I can't wait for the media backlash for this, and when the fight under-performs. And trust me, it will.

Arum is letting Mosley being a name delude him to the fact it will sell. The public was fooled once that Mosley still had it when he fought MAyweather. That was beause in his last fight he gave Margs a beatdown. But that was a year prior, and Mosley did nothing but get old in that time. He was an old man against MAyweather, and an old man against Mora.

This fight won't sniff a million buys, and it'll fuck over Pac's claim to wanting 50/50 if a Maweather fight does come along. Not when Mayweather's fight with Mosley did 1.4 million buys. In match-ups with the same oppoents, Mayweather now drawn better numbers, and this be nail in coffin for any claim for it being 50/50.
GrantZilla
GrantZilla

Back to top Go down

Post  Frank Wed Dec 22, 2010 8:08 am

I can only wonder why we're not seeing, "Pacquiao - Berto." The Mosley fight makes absolutely no sense.

Frank

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Wed Dec 22, 2010 8:43 am

Frank wrote:I can only wonder why we're not seeing, "Pacquiao - Berto." The Mosley fight makes absolutely no sense.
....frank i agree.it makes no sence..it doesnt even make dollar and cents.fighting berto is a unification fight..then say ill fight the other winner of the 2 strapholders ..sell the drama as a quest for manny to get his fifth lineal title..bertos young mosleys old.bertos unbeaton .mosley looked done his last 2 fights..you can sell berto as far more ready then a soon to be 40 year old guy..marquez.you can sell the rivalry.especialy sell it when its at the time ofone of the biggest mexican holidays..marquez quest to be the first mexican to win 4 titles etc etc..mosleys name means nothing.this is not the year 1999..want a name..bring on duran or ray leanard..its almost the same thing...mosleys name will sell 497 tickets...
whats up next..arum will try to give us cotto-margo or mosley-cotto rematches...
this leaves a bad taste in boxing fans mouths..

what id love to see is a fighter backlash..grant tallked about a media backlash on this fight as well as a fans...i want a fighters backlash.it wont happen of course but1.berto saying i gave the best propossal took the least money..pac had a chance to unify the welter title..its over now..ill take on marquez if he wants it.the winner of bradley-alexander or kahn in the future..any euro champ.alvarez in the future..screw pac..2.mayweather has said screw you already3. marquez says ill fight the 140 pound winner in the future or berto or any top lightweight.its over pac...golden boy says our future plans for alvarez is berto or the top 140 pounders that want to move up..arum dont want to do business with us and we dont him after this mosley thing..bradley-alexander say the same thing..our future the next 2 years is cleaning out the 140 pounders...
leave pac and arum pulling there chain....thats how upset this pac fan is over arum and yes manny slapping all of us in the face...

Back to top Go down

Post  gomez1012 Wed Dec 22, 2010 12:50 pm

The Top Rank fighter got the fight

is anyone surprised?
gomez1012
gomez1012

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down