The Boxing Palace
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Steward/Hamed

4 posters

Go down

Steward/Hamed Empty Steward/Hamed

Post  flapanther2001 Sun Jan 30, 2011 8:25 pm

How long did Manny train Hamed?
flapanther2001
flapanther2001

Back to top Go down

Steward/Hamed Empty Re: Steward/Hamed

Post  Guest Sun Jan 30, 2011 8:38 pm

Wasn't it just for a couple of his last fights ?

Back to top Go down

Post  flapanther2001 Sun Jan 30, 2011 8:40 pm

Ali wrote:Wasn't it just for a couple of his last fights ?
That's what I'm trying to remember.
flapanther2001
flapanther2001

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Sun Jan 30, 2011 8:53 pm

Trying to find out on the web but not having alot of success, Hamed split with Brenden Ingle in 98 and fought Barrera in 01.

Back to top Go down

Post  Rum Capital Sun Jan 30, 2011 8:55 pm

Ali wrote:Trying to find out on the web but not having alot of success, Hamed split with Brenden Ingle in 98 and fought Barrera in 01.
ohh man cool pic ali, larry davids the man
Rum Capital
Rum Capital

Back to top Go down

Post  boxinglawyer Sun Jan 30, 2011 8:56 pm

Steward started working with Naseem after the Paul Ingle bout I believe.

boxinglawyer

Back to top Go down

Post  flapanther2001 Sun Jan 30, 2011 9:04 pm

boxinglawyer wrote: Steward started working with Naseem after the Paul Ingle bout I believe.
OK....so under Manny, he dominates Soto, gives Bungu the only KO loss of his entire career (4th round), KO's Sanchez in 4 also, and this makes Hamed & Manny a bad mix? I'm just not drinking the kool-aid on this one.
flapanther2001
flapanther2001

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Sun Jan 30, 2011 9:13 pm

flapanther2001 wrote:
boxinglawyer wrote: Steward started working with Naseem after the Paul Ingle bout I believe.
OK....so under Manny, he dominates Soto, gives Bungu the only KO loss of his entire career (4th round), KO's Sanchez in 4 also, and this makes Hamed & Manny a bad mix? I'm just not drinking the kool-aid on this one.

Manny took the blame when Hamed failed against Barrera, which was unfair since Barrera was a superior fight and Hamed slacked off in camp.

I still would have preferred if Hamed just stayed with Ingle throughout his career.

Back to top Go down

Post  flapanther2001 Sun Jan 30, 2011 9:22 pm

Ali wrote:
flapanther2001 wrote:

Manny took the blame when Hamed failed against Barrera, which was unfair since Barrera was a superior fight and Hamed slacked off in camp.

I still would have preferred if Hamed just stayed with Ingle throughout his career.
Ingle or no Ingle, Barerra beats Hamed all day, however, I do feel that eventually Hamed's ego & arrogance would've led to his demise. How he survived that crash without a scratch is beyond me.
flapanther2001
flapanther2001

Back to top Go down

Post  boxinglawyer Sun Jan 30, 2011 9:23 pm

Hamed and Steward were not a bad mix. Hamed and world-class fighters were. Hamed was vulnerable his whole career and it showed in flashes, sometimes against very poor oposition. When he stepped up in class, his lack of basic boxing fundamentals and craft showed up a LOT. When he fought a guy like Barerra with superior craft, technique, and better than average athleticism, he was over-matched badly. Against Marquez, Morales, etc. he would have been similarly brutalized and embarrassed. I like Hamed and enjoyed his shows. He was a very good fighter and very entertaining. He was just a full level below the very best though. No shame in that at all.

boxinglawyer

Back to top Go down

Post  dbudge Mon Jan 31, 2011 12:14 pm

Hamed stopped paying attention to Ingle way before he went with Manny Steward. he basically was just doing what he wanted, which meant getting knocked down 3 times vs Kelly. Brendan is the one that gave Hamed his movement and his reflexes. he gave him those awkward angles that made him a hard fighter to work out. Brendan Ingle is a great trainer, Naseem Hamed was getting pressure in the US about Ingle though because nobody over there had heard of him and because Hamed's style was sooo unorthodox. Hamed abandoned Ingle way before they actually parted ways. against Wayne McCullough, Hamed realised he wasn't hurting him, he then started listening to Ingle to work everything off the jab. he did that and then controlled the fight from that point on. I'm not trying to discredit Barrera for it, Barrera was a Great fighter, i'm just saying that Naz had become a law unto himself only at that point and the discipline required to remain at the top had well and truly been abandoned. that was Hamed's own fault because his ego got way too big. people don't realise how much money Naz had actually made by that point and it was like his 18th World Title fight by then. i can imagine when you're in those circumstances it is hard to remain dedicated to such a strict regime. Great fighters rebound from losses, Hamed didn't do that. no he wasn't an all time great, yes Barrera was, but Naz was still a special little fighter and the boxing World will not see another entertainer of his calibre for a long long time

dbudge

Back to top Go down

Post  flapanther2001 Mon Jan 31, 2011 3:00 pm

Everyone has a plan until they get "turnbuckled" lol!
flapanther2001
flapanther2001

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down