The Boxing Palace
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Is Timothy Bradley getting an unfair reputation?

+5
gomez1012
captainanddew
dbudge
powerpuncher
kebark
9 posters

Go down

Is Timothy Bradley getting an unfair reputation? Empty Is Timothy Bradley getting an unfair reputation?

Post  kebark Sun Jan 30, 2011 11:16 am

In boxing fighters can get certain reputations depending on what they do. Mike Tyson for example had a reputation as some one to be scared of, a violent man who wanted to hurt his opponent, whilst Bernard Hopkins is a well established “old skool” fighter who appears to know (and use) all the tricks in the book and of course Andrew Golota is commonly nicknamed “The foul pole” due to his repeated fouls against Riddick Bowe. Though it seems that Timothy Bradley, the newly crowned WBC/WBO unified junior welterweight champion is also gaining himself a reputation, a reputation for using his head, literally.

Continued here

kebark

Back to top Go down

Is Timothy Bradley getting an unfair reputation? Empty Re: Is Timothy Bradley getting an unfair reputation?

Post  powerpuncher Sun Jan 30, 2011 12:04 pm

i think that he does use his head. that doesnt mean that he is a dirty fighter though. i think that the head use comes with his style of fighting. he jumps in so much that a clash of heads just happens. i dont think that he means to use it but i also dont think that he tries to avoid using it either
powerpuncher
powerpuncher

Back to top Go down

Is Timothy Bradley getting an unfair reputation? Empty Re: Is Timothy Bradley getting an unfair reputation?

Post  dbudge Sun Jan 30, 2011 1:02 pm

Andre Ward does it and so does Bernard Hopkins. it's a smart tactic if you can get away with it. instead of your opponent just trying to avoid the punch they are trying to avoid a punch and a butt. in my eyes though it is something which needs to be policed by this officiating the sport. some refs will let you get away with more than others. i don't believe that Bradley doesn't intend to use his head, it's something he is successful with and good at and until a referee pulls him up on it then i don't have a problem with that being his style. like i said he isn't the only person that uses this style, he's just more successful with his head than others Very Happy

dbudge

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Sun Jan 30, 2011 1:18 pm

you can't penalize Bradley, because he doesn't 'throw his head' at opponents - he lunges to leverage his punches and bends to make sure he has the top of his head in position if a clash occurs.

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Sun Jan 30, 2011 1:57 pm

The biggest problem is fighters make two technical errors that allow clashes of heads to cause real damage.

1. They hold their head square and level between their shoulders instead of canted to one side and
2. They don't pivot their head away from the foe when distance closes.

Good defensive fighters used to get cauliflower ears. Why? Because they'd BARELY make someone miss and two they held and turned their heads properly so the side of the head took the brunt of impacts like these.

Back to top Go down

Post  captainanddew Sun Jan 30, 2011 2:52 pm

marbleheadmaui wrote:The biggest problem is fighters make two technical errors that allow clashes of heads to cause real damage.

1. They hold their head square and level between their shoulders instead of canted to one side and

Good defensive fighters used to get cauliflower ears. Why? Because they'd BARELY make someone miss and two they held and turned their heads properly so the side of the head took the brunt of impacts like these.

very true. Alexander said you can't prepare for headbutts. I would guess Marble would disagree.
captainanddew
captainanddew

Back to top Go down

Post  kebark Sun Jan 30, 2011 3:09 pm

Not think it's odd how many of his fights do have them involved in? 6 fights in a row is a quite amount...

kebark

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Sun Jan 30, 2011 3:18 pm

kebark wrote:Not think it's odd how many of his fights do have them involved in? 6 fights in a row is a quite amount...

yes, but watch all the replays of the head clashes last night, and Bradley is no more to blame than alexander

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Sun Jan 30, 2011 4:45 pm

captainanddew wrote:
marbleheadmaui wrote:The biggest problem is fighters make two technical errors that allow clashes of heads to cause real damage.

very true. Alexander said you can't prepare for headbutts. I would guess Marble would disagree.

I certainly would.

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Sun Jan 30, 2011 4:56 pm

Timothy's head should be classified is a lethal weapon.

Back to top Go down

Post  dbudge Sun Jan 30, 2011 5:02 pm

Ali wrote:Timothy's head should be classified is a lethal weapon.

his next fight should be against a ram in heat for mating rights with Khan.... now that is something HBO could definitely sell well

dbudge

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Sun Jan 30, 2011 5:03 pm

dbudge wrote:
Ali wrote:Timothy's head should be classified is a lethal weapon.

his next fight should be against a ram in heat for mating rights with Khan.... now that is something HBO could definitely sell well

LOL

Back to top Go down

Post  gomez1012 Sun Jan 30, 2011 5:21 pm

Last night's ACCIDENTAL head butts I felt where due to Alexander looking to clinch whenever Bradley got in close

Instead of fighting or boxing his way out of that situation, he would grapple Bradley

Had no answer for Bradley's pressure

I felt the ref should of warned or deducted points after a few rounds
gomez1012
gomez1012

Back to top Go down

Post  Diego408 Mon Jan 31, 2011 5:00 pm

All his headbutts are accidental IMO, its all the cause of his style. Everytime they replay a headbutt of his, its because hes trying to get off some shots. As for last Saturday, Alexander was the cause of those butts as well.
Diego408
Diego408

Back to top Go down

Post  hardcorebee24 Mon Jan 31, 2011 5:12 pm

Thumb him, cuff him, hit him low, rabbit punch etc. Tell him during th clinch what you're doing and why. Re violater will change his tune if he's not a total masochist.
hardcorebee24
hardcorebee24

Back to top Go down

Post  flapanther2001 Mon Jan 31, 2011 5:43 pm

Remember what his corner told him...."stay low & come up punching." Bradley is short, so he has to fight that way. His intention is to punch. If his opponent, as Alexander did, chooses to duck down as Bradley is coming up, heads are gonna clash. I don't understand Alexander's decision to fight down at Bradley's level any way. he should fight tall. Guy's that fight tall rarely get butted.
flapanther2001
flapanther2001

Back to top Go down

Post  gomez1012 Mon Jan 31, 2011 6:00 pm

flapanther2001 wrote:Remember what his corner told him...."stay low & come up punching." Bradley is short, so he has to fight that way. His intention is to punch. If his opponent, as Alexander did, chooses to duck down as Bradley is coming up, heads are gonna clash. I don't understand Alexander's decision to fight down at Bradley's level any way. he should fight tall. Guy's that fight tall rarely get butted.

+1

Devon could use this piece of advice from this man
Is Timothy Bradley getting an unfair reputation? Medium_jack_loew
"All you gotta do is double the fucking jab!!!"
gomez1012
gomez1012

Back to top Go down

Post  Norm1023 Mon Jan 31, 2011 6:15 pm

My thought is that if Alexander was throwing his jab with some conviction butts wouldn't have been an issue.

There were several times in the fight that the ref could have warned Alexander for backhanding with his jab.
Norm1023
Norm1023

Back to top Go down

Post  flapanther2001 Mon Jan 31, 2011 6:26 pm

Norm1023 wrote:My thought is that if Alexander was throwing his jab with some conviction butts wouldn't have been an issue.

There were several times in the fight that the ref could have warned Alexander for backhanding with his jab.
Correctomundo!!!!
flapanther2001
flapanther2001

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Mon Jan 31, 2011 7:35 pm

he deserves that rep particaly...

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down