The Boxing Palace
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Alexander wants a rematch

5 posters

Go down

Alexander wants a rematch Empty Alexander wants a rematch

Post  captainanddew Sun Jan 30, 2011 1:12 am

DETROIT -- WBO king, Tim Bradley, won an anti-climactic, 10-round technical decision over WBC champ, Devon Alexander, in Saturday night's HBO televised, junior welterweight (140 pounds) championship bout when referee Frank Garza, acting on the advice of ringside doctor, Peter Samet, stopped the fight as a result of Alexander's complaining that he could not see out of a bleeding right eye as the result of an accidental head butt. Nevada's Duane Ford 97-93, Mexico's Omar Mintun 98-93, and Ohio's Tim Miller, 96-95, all for Bradley.

When Alexander was asked if he would like to face WBA champion Amir Khan, or former WBA interim king Marcos Rene Maidana, the former champion indicated that he plans to exercise his rematch clause for a return bout with Bradley.

"The contract says that I get a rematch," said Alexander. "I want a rematch with Tim Bradley."

captainanddew
captainanddew

Back to top Go down

Alexander wants a rematch Empty Re: Alexander wants a rematch

Post  Guest Sun Jan 30, 2011 1:15 am

From what Dan said it was up to HBO whether there would be a rematch or not.

Back to top Go down

Post  hardcorebee24 Sun Jan 30, 2011 1:33 am

He quit he doesn't deserve one. He should give Kotelnik a rematch first.
hardcorebee24
hardcorebee24

Back to top Go down

Post  GrantZilla Sun Jan 30, 2011 1:46 am

What I heard from Hauser is that HBO not only overpaid for to make this fight happen but gave both of them two dates on HBO after this fight. HBO will probably have to air a bullshit rematch which would mean no Bradley-Khan fight because of Alexander demanding an immidiate rematch clause
GrantZilla
GrantZilla

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Sun Jan 30, 2011 1:49 am

GrantZilla wrote:What I heard from Hauser is that HBO not only overpaid for to make this fight happen but gave both of them two dates on HBO after this fight. HBO will probably have to air a bullshit rematch which would mean no Bradley-Khan fight because of Alexander demanding an immidiate rematch clause

HBO gave them dates at their option, which doesn't mean a rematch could be next. The plan from the get go was for the winner to face Khan and the loser to face Maidana, I can't see there being an issue unless a lawsuit is involved.

Back to top Go down

Post  GrantZilla Sun Jan 30, 2011 1:55 am

With King involved you can bet on it. Nobody wants to see a rematch. HBO better not let it happen. They have already taken major hits. Allowing another joke rematch will make them a total joke compared to Showtime
GrantZilla
GrantZilla

Back to top Go down

Post  dbudge Sun Jan 30, 2011 10:06 am

i hope the contract is favourable to HBO in this instance. I'm pretty glad i didn't stay up until 4am to watch this now and recorded it instead. Alexander fought like a fucking bitch. he didn't wanna fight, he tried circling away and boxing Bradley without actually been able to throw punches going backwards. it was a fucking awful display. Alexander's only way of winning that fight was to go and fight. he needed to get stuck into Bradley and really make Bradley work toe to toe. instead he thought he could outbox the guy with better boxing skills. IMO Alexander has been exposed not once but twice now. if i was a fan paying to see that i'd be so pissed off. one thing i will say is that it is becoming common place for top US fighters to follow their assaults with their heads. it needs to be clamped down on because it is going to ruin fights. Ward does it, Bradley does it, Hopkins does it. throw a punch follow with your head. it's a dirty tactic in my eyes. If Bradley is going to be allowed to be so reckless with his head then they at least need to put a glove on that big bubble he's got. still Alexander was heartless in the fight. really thought HBO had done a good move for the sport for a change, i kinda feel sorry for Greenburg in this instance alone. I also think that Bradley's performance in the fight will not be a fair reflection of how a Khan fight would go, even though i still think Khan has the speed, the timing, the power and the right fight game to overcome Bradley, it's hard for Bradley to look good against a guy trying not to fight. Ask Carl Froch about how that one works

dbudge

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Sun Jan 30, 2011 10:19 am

hardcorebee24 wrote:He quit he doesn't deserve one. He should give Kotelnik a rematch first.
...i agree.he made lots of money last night without earning it..if he wants bradley then go for it after the kahn-bradley fight..fight kotelnik and lets say a maiidana or judah first..2 fights and win them both..as of now noo one realy wants to see a rematch of a fight that i felt disappointed big time..it stunk compared to expetations..
alexander is a perfect example of punk fighters of this era who dont want to fight there way back.who dont want to re-earn a rematch.sorry last night i came away with the thoughts that this is one yellow bastard..

Back to top Go down

Post  gomez1012 Sun Jan 30, 2011 5:34 pm

hardcorebee24 wrote:He quit he doesn't deserve one. He should give Kotelnik a rematch first.

HBO hopefully feels the same way

I dont think I saw Alexander land one meaningful punch

Lampley was terrible last night, I dont know how you call what he was doing boxing effectively
gomez1012
gomez1012

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Sun Jan 30, 2011 5:38 pm

Alexander ain't getting no rematch, he's talking out of his bottom.

Back to top Go down

Post  hardcorebee24 Sun Jan 30, 2011 6:39 pm

dmar5143 wrote:
...i agree.he made lots of money last night without earning it..if he wants bradley then go for it after the kahn-bradley fight..fight kotelnik and lets say a maiidana or judah first..2 fights and win them both..as of now noo one realy wants to see a rematch of a fight that i felt disappointed big time..it stunk compared to expetations..
alexander is a perfect example of punk fighters of this era who dont want to fight there way back.who dont want to re-earn a rematch.sorry last night i came away with the thoughts that this is one yellow bastard..

He is a reflection of his corner, that guy he calls a trainer/manager moved him way too fast in my opinion. Most of us after the Kotelnik fight thought he wasn't ready, the "experts" said he was. Urango, as Ali pointed out many times, is a caveman and not in the same class as the tops in the division. Alexander is a humble kid who got sucked into a shit talking fest by his cornerman. His cornerman is a fucking distraction with no plan B and a suspect plan A. I don't know if Alexander has the wits or personality to strike out on his own and I don't really know if it will help, but I feel that he was victimized much the way Vargas was. Devon Alexander with the right help has the tools to be great he just needs a professional guiding his career. He needs to go back to the drawing board and try to develop a better defense and some more resolve. The kid has speed, power and a chin. He also has good feet. He gets hit too much and has difficulty adjusting throughout a fight. These intangibles come with experience a guidance. I just can't speak on his heart or smarts. He doesn't seem to bright and a foolish corner is all wrong for a guy who doesn't make adjustments on his own.
hardcorebee24
hardcorebee24

Back to top Go down

Post  gomez1012 Sun Jan 30, 2011 7:27 pm

Alexander no question needs a new team behind him

All the raw skills you could want and a big following...

Maybe Manny Steward jumps in after watching him last night
gomez1012
gomez1012

Back to top Go down

Post  captainanddew Sun Jan 30, 2011 7:28 pm

he doesn't know how to fight. He isn't a very good boxer. He just has fast hands and thus can get off combinations.

But against guys who can box (Kotelnik, Bradley), he is moving backwards and not sitting down on his punches because he has opponents good enough to counter his shots. So he throws alot of punches that hit arms, gloves, or even when connecting, don't have full leverage.

He needs to go into the pool of guys below Kahn and Bradley.It should be Kahn vs Bradley. Ortiz vs Maidana II. Alexander Kotelnik II.
captainanddew
captainanddew

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Sun Jan 30, 2011 8:33 pm

Ronnie Sheilds would be a good fit for Alexander, sadly I can see him sticking with Cunningham because he's a father figure( similar to Pavlik and Jack Lowe).

Back to top Go down

Post  hardcorebee24 Sun Jan 30, 2011 8:34 pm

Ali wrote:Ronnie Sheilds would be a good fit for Alexander, sadly I can see him sticking with Cunningham because he's a father figure( similar to Pavlik and Jack Lowe).

This is what I think.
hardcorebee24
hardcorebee24

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Sun Jan 30, 2011 8:35 pm

hardcorebee24 wrote:
Ali wrote:Ronnie Sheilds would be a good fit for Alexander, sadly I can see him sticking with Cunningham because he's a father figure( similar to Pavlik and Jack Lowe).

This is what I think.

And I have a feeling Cunningham might be his manager too.

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down