The Boxing Palace
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

IMAGINARY CRUISERS

2 posters

Page 2 of 2 Previous  1, 2

Go down

IMAGINARY CRUISERS - Page 2 Empty Re: IMAGINARY CRUISERS

Post  Guest Thu Oct 21, 2010 9:56 pm

Tobe wrote:No love for Langford? Guy comes up what today would be more than 4 or 5 divisions and still not cracking anyone's Top 5? Gotta plug my boy from Nova Scotia Wink

Also, the fact that Marciano is really a cruiser/light heavy plays hard into the question of his fantasy match with Lennox we were talking about before.

I think my rules made things tough on the Boston Tar Baby. He really paced for 20+ round fights and was accustomed to smaller gloves. Having said that of course he absolutely scared Dempsey to death. But had I put Langford's rules? he probably is a top 3-4 guy.

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Thu Oct 21, 2010 9:56 pm

sam langford is my older sons third favorite fighter and one of the few 15 or so i call my all time favorites...theres love for sam..

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Thu Oct 21, 2010 10:02 pm

Wills seemed to have Langford's number,but if I'm not mistaken,Wills had thirty or forty pounds on Sam.Dempsey also wanted no part of Wills as well.After the havoc Jack Johnson had caused,Dempsey's handlers steered him away from the black contenders.

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Thu Oct 21, 2010 10:10 pm

Considering Langford was 36 when Dempsey won the title,I never understood why Jack would duck Sam.According to the Battling Siki book,William Muldoon had blackballed the black Heavyweights,due to what transpired during Johnson's reign.

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Fri Oct 22, 2010 1:20 pm

WinstonSmith wrote:Wills seemed to have Langford's number,but if I'm not mistaken,Wills had thirty or forty pounds on Sam.Dempsey also wanted no part of Wills as well.After the havoc Jack Johnson had caused,Dempsey's handlers steered him away from the black contenders.

Langford was simply not the same guy once Johnson won the heavyweight title. Langford knew he had no shot at being champion now and his discipline went down the drain. You have a post-prime Langford fighting a prime Wills.

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Fri Oct 22, 2010 1:20 pm

WinstonSmith wrote:Considering Langford was 36 when Dempsey won the title,I never understood why Jack would duck Sam.According to the Battling Siki book,William Muldoon had blackballed the black Heavyweights,due to what transpired during Johnson's reign.

I don't know why Jack feared Langford so, I only know that he did.

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 2 of 2 Previous  1, 2