The Boxing Palace
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Can the new head of HBO Sports do this...?

4 posters

Go down

Can the new head of HBO Sports do this...? Empty Can the new head of HBO Sports do this...?

Post  Gumby Mon Jan 24, 2011 8:14 pm

I believe the major networks have the power to immediately improve boxing because they have a big influence on what fights get made. It seems likely that Greenburg will be out after his contract and fresh blood will take over the sports department.

Can the new head of HBO sports refuse to recognize the sanctioning bodies and only recognize the RING rankings and belt? What are the potential drawbacks of doing this? Who gets hurt? Who would be opposed to it and how could they keep it from happening?
Gumby
Gumby

Back to top Go down

Can the new head of HBO Sports do this...? Empty Re: Can the new head of HBO Sports do this...?

Post  GrantZilla Mon Jan 24, 2011 8:27 pm

Gumby wrote:Can the new head of HBO sports refuse to recognize the sanctioning bodies and only recognize the RING rankings and belt? What are the potential drawbacks of doing this? Who gets hurt? Who would be opposed to it and how could they keep it from happening?

The only draw backs I can see is angry promoters and fighters who's trinket is not being recognized. But so the fuck what. They going to turn down HBO money and go to Showtime which has a limited budget?

Pac deal is a rare one because Pac is a major star which lured CBS involement. Without CBS involement, Pac-Mosley fight would not do well as just a regular Showtime PPV.

But the upside is much bigger. People would soon know who the real Champs are. If HBO reserved Championship Boxing to fill Ring vacancies, it could be there own version of Super-Six, and get a lot of praise by the media.

People have brand loyalty. That is a fact. Why UFC is synonymous with MMA. Why people refer to tissues as Kleenex's even though propbably not Kleenex brand. Or a photocopy as a Xerox.

Same would happen with The Ring Champs. Like MMA, where people consider real Champs UFC Champs, same be true with The Ring Champs.

That would only increase ratings for HBO because casual fan won't be confused with all bullshit ABC belts and not knowing who Champos are.

GrantZilla
GrantZilla

Back to top Go down

Can the new head of HBO Sports do this...? Empty Re: Can the new head of HBO Sports do this...?

Post  Guest Mon Jan 24, 2011 8:46 pm

Yes they should be able to do that, like Grant said they might get angry but in the end they'll accept the cash.

Back to top Go down

Post  GrantZilla Mon Jan 24, 2011 8:52 pm

You got to get a guy that knows boxing, that won't get in bed with promoters, and who's main objective is putting the best fights on and properly representing who top fighters are and Champs to the viewers.

GrantZilla
GrantZilla

Back to top Go down

Post  captainanddew Mon Jan 24, 2011 10:29 pm

IF HBO would get a new head and do the following, then their product would improve:
1-recognize only ring belts
2-don't try to make stars, just put on good fighters matched against other good fighters in their primes
3-try showing more weight classes-HBO refuses to show lower weight classes. They refuse to show cruiserweights. Is cruiserweight enthralling alot of the time? No, but a few years ago when Adamek fought Cunningham that was an HBO level fight!!!!!
4-if big matchups aren't available (Championship boxing), then show more BAD cards. Too many fighters sitting around, then add another BAD card.
5-how about showing a fight outside of Vegas or Atlantic City. There are other areas in the US that are worth it. How about going overseas for a fight here and there????
captainanddew
captainanddew

Back to top Go down

Post  GrantZilla Tue Jan 25, 2011 12:23 am

I'll add on, having some BAD cards on during middle of the week.
GrantZilla
GrantZilla

Back to top Go down

Post  Gumby Tue Jan 25, 2011 11:22 am

There has to be a reason why it's not being done though. That's what I'm trying to figure out. If they brought me into HBO those are changes I would discuss with the team, some big promoters, and try to put into action immediately.

However, they're not even really discussed. What am I missing? Is it just that certain important individuals get paid very well to keep the status quo? Or that people are afraid of making a drastic change?
Gumby
Gumby

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Tue Jan 25, 2011 12:03 pm

Gumby wrote:There has to be a reason why it's not being done though. That's what I'm trying to figure out. If they brought me into HBO those are changes I would discuss with the team, some big promoters, and try to put into action immediately.

However, they're not even really discussed. What am I missing? Is it just that certain important individuals get paid very well to keep the status quo? Or that people are afraid of making a drastic change?

Frankly Greenburg has shown these past couple months that he's completely incompetent and really has no clue how to run HBO boxing.

In the space of six months he's managed to piss off both Klitschko's and Bob Arum.

Back to top Go down

Post  GrantZilla Tue Jan 25, 2011 6:57 pm

Ali wrote:Frankly Greenburg has shown these past couple months that he's completely incompetent and really has no clue how to run HBO boxing.

In the space of six months he's managed to piss off both Klitschko's and Bob Arum.

Not just that. Showtime doesn't even want to show The Klits. Just no market for them in the US. As for Arum, the decision was pure business to get more exposure for a fight hardcore fans are not very interested in.

Real issue is HBO over-paying for shit fights, showing blatant favortism to promoters, mainly GB, and having no clue about the sport.

They turn down the Cotto fight which is total bullshit. Cotto gave them their highest ratings last year. WTF Didn't want to pay Cotto 1.5 mill, but they'll pay Andre "I can't get anyone to show up to my fights" Berto that to fight some bum?

As for not using Ring, Greenburg is clueless. He probably still clings to beleif that "title" fights regardless if they are meaningless bring in better ratings. Or maybe your right Ali, he's getting paid by ABC belts. I dunno
GrantZilla
GrantZilla

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Tue Jan 25, 2011 7:17 pm

Although losing Manny was partially a business decision by Arum it's not as if HBO couldn't have convinced Bob they can't give him more exposure, I mean they managed to get over 2 million buys for the Floyd vs Oscar fight.

Back to top Go down

Post  gomez1012 Tue Jan 25, 2011 7:20 pm

Ali wrote:Although losing Manny was partially a business decision by Arum it's not as if HBO couldn't have convinced Bob they can't give him more exposure, I mean they managed to get over 2 million buys for the Floyd vs Oscar fight.

Hauser pointed it out that HBO could of offered 24/7 on TBS/TNT but they couldnt even think of that
gomez1012
gomez1012

Back to top Go down

Post  GrantZilla Tue Jan 25, 2011 7:33 pm

gomez1012 wrote:
Ali wrote:Although losing Manny was partially a business decision by Arum it's not as if HBO couldn't have convinced Bob they can't give him more exposure, I mean they managed to get over 2 million buys for the Floyd vs Oscar fight.

Hauser pointed it out that HBO could of offered 24/7 on TBS/TNT but they couldnt even think of that

Fuck, look at their total incompetance with this weekends fight. Greenburg said going to advertise the shit out of the fight? Where the fuck is it? Outside us hardcore fans, nobody knows about the figtht, or gives a fuck.

It's going to get terrible ratings. I can gurantee that. It sucks. It's a good fight
GrantZilla
GrantZilla

Back to top Go down

Post  gomez1012 Tue Jan 25, 2011 8:02 pm

GrantZilla wrote:Fuck, look at their total incompetance with this weekends fight. Greenburg said going to advertise the shit out of the fight? Where the fuck is it? Outside us hardcore fans, nobody knows about the figtht, or gives a fuck.

It's going to get terrible ratings. I can gurantee that. It sucks. It's a good fight

Couldnt agree more

Great meaningful fight in a loaded division and it will be overlooked

gomez1012
gomez1012

Back to top Go down

Post  GrantZilla Tue Jan 25, 2011 8:05 pm

I'll be surprised if it gets a million viewers. So basicaly HBO spent 4 million to get 1 million viewers.

GrantZilla
GrantZilla

Back to top Go down

Post  gomez1012 Tue Jan 25, 2011 8:14 pm

GrantZilla wrote:I'll be surprised if it gets a million viewers. So basicaly HBO spent 4 million to get 1 million viewers.

Pretty much

Devon vs Kotelnik - 1.057 million live viewers
Bradley vs Abregu - 897,000 live viewers
http://theboxingtruth.com/article.php?id=1876

Having these guys fight once/twice a year doesnt help either
gomez1012
gomez1012

Back to top Go down

Post  GrantZilla Tue Jan 25, 2011 8:19 pm

Yup.

Fact is, HBO needs to stop over-paying for fights that don't generate the ratings that justify it.

Also need to take a % of the licence fee they pay for a fight and use it for advertising it.

So if pay say 2 mill on a fight, 20% of it should go to advertising the fight. If promoters don't think that's fair, then promoter has the option to compensate for that advertising fee by spending money to actualy promote the fucking fight.

That's why UFC is successful. They use a good chunk of their revenue on advertising. So HBO takes that money and puts promos on sister networks like TNT ect during say basketball or baseball games or whatever

GrantZilla
GrantZilla

Back to top Go down

Post  gomez1012 Tue Jan 25, 2011 8:25 pm

GrantZilla wrote:Yup.

Fact is, HBO needs to stop over-paying for fights that don't generate the ratings that justify it.

Also need to take a % of the licence fee they pay for a fight and use it for advertising it.

So if pay say 2 mill on a fight, 20% of it should go to advertising the fight. If promoters don't think that's fair, then promoter has the option to compensate for that advertising fee by spending money to actualy promote the fucking fight.

That's why UFC is successful. They use a good chunk of their revenue on advertising. So HBO takes that money and puts promos on sister networks like TNT ect during say basketball or baseball games or whatever

lolololol that would be like every fight they've done recently
gomez1012
gomez1012

Back to top Go down

Post  GrantZilla Tue Jan 25, 2011 8:28 pm

It's amazing how far the bar been lowered with HBO Boxing as far as ratings.

Remember in 2007 when was a big deal on how Calzaghe vs Kessler gave HBO the lowest ratings in Championship Boxing history. It was slightly below 2 million viewers.

Now, highest rated boxing event last year, Cotto vs Foreman, didn't even scratch 2 million viewers.
GrantZilla
GrantZilla

Back to top Go down

Post  gomez1012 Tue Jan 25, 2011 8:33 pm

Its also funny to see them try and advertise Bradley-Alexander as big or even super fight

Its really an eliminator for the top spot at 140 but they act like its Pavlik-Taylor 1 or even Joe vs Kessler which was for the #1 spot at SMW
gomez1012
gomez1012

Back to top Go down

Post  GrantZilla Tue Jan 25, 2011 8:37 pm

Yeah, well. That's fine. Hype it up all you can. This fight sure and hell needs it.

I'll say this, winner has no choice but to fight Khan in the UK. Both these guys can't draw a crowd.

GrantZilla
GrantZilla

Back to top Go down

Post  gomez1012 Tue Jan 25, 2011 8:43 pm

Nah, Devon can draw in STL

easy 10k show up for a fight like that

DK is no fool, he's already talking Flod/Pac-Devon in the midwest
gomez1012
gomez1012

Back to top Go down

Post  GrantZilla Tue Jan 25, 2011 8:54 pm

You know, if HBO had any innovation they should try and re-air fights like this on TNT or something.

Why the fuck not? The fight already paid for. TNT needs shit to fill time slots. It's good way to grow an audience.

What UFC does. They'll re-air previous PPV fights on Spike.
GrantZilla
GrantZilla

Back to top Go down

Post  gomez1012 Tue Jan 25, 2011 9:02 pm

GrantZilla wrote:You know, if HBO had any innovation they should try and re-air fights like this on TNT or something.

Why the fuck not? The fight already paid for. TNT needs shit to fill time slots. It's good way to grow an audience.

What UFC does. They'll re-air previous PPV fights on Spike.

Yep, air promos during NBA games or dramas

Or do same for TBS, promos during MLB games or comedies especially if they really want the black audience

Commercials during Tyler Perry/Ice Cube sitcoms and then George Lopez and Conan shows

Hitting all the right demos w/that

gomez1012
gomez1012

Back to top Go down

Post  GrantZilla Tue Jan 25, 2011 9:23 pm

That's the ticket. How you properly grow the brand. Get more exposure, and more people will tune into see the fight live on HBO. Especialy if they know there is a fight. Which I gurantee most people have no clue about this weekends fight
Can the new head of HBO Sports do this...? Capt.f00bf71ea2df4076a7b96ac556a5fae1.germany_boxing__fas111
GrantZilla
GrantZilla

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down