The Boxing Palace
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Mikkel Kessler could return in May or June

+2
dbudge
hardcorebee24
6 posters

Go down

Mikkel Kessler could return in May or June Empty Mikkel Kessler could return in May or June

Post  Guest Tue Jan 18, 2011 11:43 am

Mikkel Kessler (43-2, 32KOs) is hoping to start sparring for a return in March and then fight again by May or June. Kessler has not been in the ring since last April WBC title victory over Carl Froch. He left the Super Six tournament after suffering an eye injury and experiencing double-vision in the gym. Kessler is the WBC's Champion Emeritus, which allows him to get an immediate challenge at the champion Froch.

"I'm just taking a break so my eye injury can heal. According to my time table, I'll start sparring in March and I hope to return in May or June. When the Super Six is over, I'll be the first to meet the winner and take back my WBA and WBC titles," Kessler told BT.

There could be an issue with Kessler's plan as IBF champion Lucian Bute signed a contract with Showtime and was promised a crack at the Super Six winner. Kessler advised Bute to stand down because he is not the first in line for that honor.

http://www.boxingscene.com/?m=show&id=34852

Back to top Go down

Mikkel Kessler could return in May or June Empty Re: Mikkel Kessler could return in May or June

Post  hardcorebee24 Tue Jan 18, 2011 12:06 pm

Ali wrote:Mikkel Kessler (43-2, 32KOs) is hoping to start sparring for a return in March and then fight again by May or June. Kessler has not been in the ring since last April WBC title victory over Carl Froch. He left the Super Six tournament after suffering an eye injury and experiencing double-vision in the gym. Kessler is the WBC's Champion Emeritus, which allows him to get an immediate challenge at the champion Froch.

"I'm just taking a break so my eye injury can heal. According to my time table, I'll start sparring in March and I hope to return in May or June. When the Super Six is over, I'll be the first to meet the winner and take back my WBA and WBC titles," Kessler told BT.

There could be an issue with Kessler's plan as IBF champion Lucian Bute signed a contract with Showtime and was promised a crack at the Super Six winner. Kessler advised Bute to stand down because he is not the first in line for that honor.

http://www.boxingscene.com/?m=show&id=34852

That's bullshit. He pulled out. He should have to fight his way back. He shouldn't be entitled to waltz into a fight with the winner after the winner fought the whole tournament
hardcorebee24
hardcorebee24

Back to top Go down

Mikkel Kessler could return in May or June Empty Re: Mikkel Kessler could return in May or June

Post  Guest Tue Jan 18, 2011 12:10 pm

He won't get first crack at the winner, Lucian Bute is guaranteed that shot !! Kessler will either have to wait or will no doubt be rewarded by the villainous WBC.

Back to top Go down

Post  hardcorebee24 Tue Jan 18, 2011 12:12 pm

Ali wrote:He won't get first crack at the winner, Lucian Bute is guaranteed that shot !! Kessler will either have to wait or will no doubt be rewarded by the villainous WBC.

This is what will happen. It's a load of shit. I don't buy that the injury was all that bad. I think he wanted out of the tournament at this stage of his career and used the injury as the reason. He should be more humble in my opinion.
hardcorebee24
hardcorebee24

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Tue Jan 18, 2011 12:14 pm

I've never doubted that injury, Kessler is a gentleman outside the ring and a warrior inside it, he's not the type of guy to look for the easy way out. I mean his next scheduled fight for the tournament was against egg layer Allan Green.

Back to top Go down

Post  dbudge Tue Jan 18, 2011 12:16 pm

he just didn't want to fight the Cobra again. Calzaghe, Froch and Kessler were all at the WBC convention held in Cardiff 2010. Froch was keen to get back in against Kessler, it has to be said (although this can be taken anyway you want), Kessler response was "Oh no, not again". but i think there was a bit of truth behind that statement

dbudge

Back to top Go down

Post  hardcorebee24 Tue Jan 18, 2011 12:37 pm

Ali wrote:I've never doubted that injury, Kessler is a gentleman outside the ring and a warrior inside it, he's not the type of guy to look for the easy way out. I mean his next scheduled fight for the tournament was against egg layer Allan Green.

An absolute nobody, low reward guy that if he got caught and KO'd by would ruin his career. I know I'm being cynical, I just hate when these guys come off of injury or out of retirement and want a crack at the title right away.
hardcorebee24
hardcorebee24

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Tue Jan 18, 2011 12:39 pm

hardcorebee24 wrote:
Ali wrote:I've never doubted that injury, Kessler is a gentleman outside the ring and a warrior inside it, he's not the type of guy to look for the easy way out. I mean his next scheduled fight for the tournament was against egg layer Allan Green.

An absolute nobody, low reward guy that if he got caught and KO'd by would ruin his career. I know I'm being cynical, I just hate when these guys come off of injury or out of retirement and want a crack at the title right away.

To be fair on Mikkel he does have a reputation at 168lb an beat Froch on his last performance, I don't agree with the WBC's ruling but don't have a problem with Kessler wanting the tournament winner.

Back to top Go down

Post  hardcorebee24 Tue Jan 18, 2011 12:41 pm

Ali wrote:
hardcorebee24 wrote:

To be fair on Mikkel he does have a reputation at 168lb an beat Froch on his last performance, I don't agree with the WBC's ruling but don't have a problem with Kessler wanting the tournament winner.

Fair enough. I see your point. His reputation precedes itself. Wonder how he'll fair?
hardcorebee24
hardcorebee24

Back to top Go down

Post  gomez1012 Tue Jan 18, 2011 12:43 pm

Kessler vs Dirrell anyone?
gomez1012
gomez1012

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Tue Jan 18, 2011 12:47 pm

hardcorebee24 wrote:
Ali wrote:
hardcorebee24 wrote:

Fair enough. I see your point. His reputation precedes itself. Wonder how he'll fair?

That really depends on how much Kessler has left in the tank. The Froch fight was an all out war and who knows if that eye injury will ever fully recover.

If Kessler still has enough left I could see him beating everyone apart from Bute and Ward.

Back to top Go down

Post  hardcorebee24 Tue Jan 18, 2011 1:04 pm

gomez1012 wrote:Kessler vs Dirrell anyone?

I'm in, I know that Dirrell isn't. He's waiting for Manny to move up, Floyd to be broke or Hopkins to turn 50.
hardcorebee24
hardcorebee24

Back to top Go down

Post  hardcorebee24 Tue Jan 18, 2011 1:05 pm

Ali wrote:

That really depends on how much Kessler has left in the tank. The Froch fight was an all out war and who knows if that eye injury will ever fully recover.

If Kessler still has enough left I could see him beating everyone apart from Bute and Ward.

He should rematch Ward. New trainer and new look I'd like to see how he winds up.
hardcorebee24
hardcorebee24

Back to top Go down

Post  gomez1012 Tue Jan 18, 2011 1:09 pm

hardcorebee24 wrote:
I'm in, I know that Dirrell isn't. He's waiting for Manny to move up, Floyd to be broke or Hopkins to turn 50.

Hahahaha, the wisdom of Al Haymon right there

Wonder if Showtime still has rights to their next fight?

I would assume they would considering they both signed a contract for the Super Six

Really hope they didnt let'em walk w/no consequences

gomez1012
gomez1012

Back to top Go down

Post  dbudge Tue Jan 18, 2011 1:10 pm

gomez1012 wrote:
hardcorebee24 wrote:

Hahahaha, the wisdom of Al Haymon right there

Wonder if Showtime still has rights to their next fight?

I would assume they would considering they both signed a contract for the Super Six

Really hope they didnt let'em walk w/no consequences

he didn't walk though did he. he had an "injury" which null and voided the contract. i hope Showtime tell him to do one

dbudge

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Tue Jan 18, 2011 1:11 pm

Oh god could you imagine Dirrell vs Hopkins ??? David Haye's record for few punches thrown between rounds would definitely be eclipsed in that bout.

Back to top Go down

Post  dbudge Tue Jan 18, 2011 1:18 pm

Ali wrote:Oh god could you imagine Dirrell vs Hopkins ??? David Haye's record for few punches thrown between rounds would definitely be eclipsed in that bout.

it's a fight i think Hopkins would lose. Hopkins like his opponents to be smaller than him, just an observation

dbudge

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Tue Jan 18, 2011 1:19 pm

dbudge wrote:
Ali wrote:Oh god could you imagine Dirrell vs Hopkins ??? David Haye's record for few punches thrown between rounds would definitely be eclipsed in that bout.

it's a fight i think Hopkins would lose. Hopkins like his opponents to be smaller than him, just an observation

Tarver was bigger than Hopkins.

Back to top Go down

Post  gomez1012 Tue Jan 18, 2011 1:20 pm

If Dirrell thought Froch was dirty, oh man, Hopkins all day
gomez1012
gomez1012

Back to top Go down

Post  dbudge Tue Jan 18, 2011 1:25 pm

Ali wrote:
dbudge wrote:

Tarver was bigger than Hopkins.

Tarver had no lateral movement like Dirrell. Hopkins wouldn't fight anybody with athletic qualities like Dirrell, hence why he wouldn't fight Dawson. Hopkins likes to bully people on the inside by being stronger than them. Dirrell won't allow himself to be on the inside, his whole fight game is to avoid getting into one lol

dbudge

Back to top Go down

Post  Diego408 Tue Jan 18, 2011 3:09 pm

The super six winner wont be available until around the winter time (December or November), so during the time the final bout for the tourney takes place, Kessler and Bute should fight each other for the right around the same time.
Diego408
Diego408

Back to top Go down

Post  Groundhog Tue Jan 18, 2011 7:43 pm

Diego408 wrote:The super six winner wont be available until around the winter time (December or November), so during the time the final bout for the tourney takes place, Kessler and Bute should fight each other for the right around the same time.

See this makes total sense and I've been thinking about this for a long time. When Kessler pulled out, we didn't know how bad that injury was. He could have been done for good so who knows. But his layoff wasn't that long at all. Why not make Bute vs Kessler for the privilege of fighting the winner of the tournament?

I like Bute and think he's got a cool style but let's face it, he's been in soft since Andrade. Andrade is his best win (and he almost lost first time around), Kessler has a dominant win over Andrade. If Kessler needs to get back in line, Bute needs to get a good place in line in the first place. Kessler's resume win or lose is a lot better than Bute's for sure.

The only problem I would think of is Kessler needing a tuneup before Bute. That's fine. Kessler said he wants to return in May ish and Bute has a fight with Magee in March. They can both beat their respective B listers and then fight each other.

Groundhog

Back to top Go down

Post  GrantZilla Tue Jan 18, 2011 7:57 pm

Fuck Kessler. He bitched out of a scheduled Showtime fight with Miranda, then chumps out of the tournament, and expects a crack at the winner?

Fuck him. I hope Showtime blacklists his ass. This is twice he's pulled this shit with Showtime. He can go fight bums in Denmark with his trinket that will no doubt be handed to him.

GrantZilla
GrantZilla

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down