The Boxing Palace
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Is Marble Still Here? Civil War Question

Go down

Is Marble Still Here? Civil War Question Empty Is Marble Still Here? Civil War Question

Post  bird Mon Jan 17, 2011 2:18 am

I have had some fun Civil War convo's with the one and only marble and in my clouded stupor I had a question. Anyone may answer.

Why is "Pickett's Charge" refferred to as Picket's charge??? Lee ordered it, it was under Longstree, Pickett was 1 of 3 Generals to lead the charge under Longstreet.

Why did Pickett get stuck with the fate of that charge? Was it because of the "General Lee, I have no division" quote? Or the fact that Pickett was just an interesting character? Much more interesting than Trimble and Pettigrew?? Or was it because Armistead a general in the charge (under Pickett) attained the high water mark for the confederacy????

Always wondered why General Lee's biggest mistake seems to be blamed on Pickett (who did not order the charge or plan it, he wasnt even in the charge (which was common for a commanding general)).

Thoughts?

bird

Back to top Go down

Is Marble Still Here? Civil War Question Empty Re: Is Marble Still Here? Civil War Question

Post  bird Mon Jan 17, 2011 2:41 am

kinda funny, Pickett commanded a 3rd of the men in the charge and was answering to his superiors, though his division did lead the charge.

bird

Back to top Go down

Is Marble Still Here? Civil War Question Empty Re: Is Marble Still Here? Civil War Question

Post  Guest Mon Jan 17, 2011 7:26 pm

It was called Pickett's I believe because his forces (specifically under Lo Armistead) made the deepest impact into Union Lines.

I don't think anyone "blames" Pickett. I think the name is an honor, not an insult.

The big question will always be what happens if Custer hadn't stopped JEB Stuart's ride around the Northen Union flank so Stuart's cavalry had landed on the Union rear at the same time as Pickett reached the clump of trees?

Back to top Go down

Post  bird Mon Jan 17, 2011 8:11 pm

ya your probably right considering Lo Armistead attained the "high water mark", that would make the most sens, also considering all 3 generals in the charge died and all 13 of the other officers in Picketts division died in the charge. It was interesting I read that Pickett received alot of respect and media attention for the charge too which he was not happy about.

Very good question about J.E.B., shit, the real question is if J.E.B. wasn't out doing god nows what for the first 2 days of battle. But you are right if Stuart and Pickett converged at the same time that coulda been a massive problem.

So biggest blunder of the war? Definitely Lee's biggest mistake wouldnt you say?

bird

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Tue Jan 18, 2011 1:45 am

bird wrote:ya your probably right considering Lo Armistead attained the "high water mark", that would make the most sens, also considering all 3 generals in the charge died and all 13 of the other officers in Picketts division died in the charge. It was interesting I read that Pickett received alot of respect and media attention for the charge too which he was not happy about.

Very good question about J.E.B., shit, the real question is if J.E.B. wasn't out doing god nows what for the first 2 days of battle. But you are right if Stuart and Pickett converged at the same time that coulda been a massive problem.

So biggest blunder of the war? Definitely Lee's biggest mistake wouldnt you say?

The biggest blunder of the war was the South thinking they could win. They never had a chance. The North had twice as many people and 90% of the industrial capacity. It was only the superb generalship of Lee, Jackson, Stuart, Bedford Forrest, Longstreet (most times), Cleburne, AP Hill, Wade Hampton etc and the astonishing committment and dedication of the Confederate soldier that made it last as long as it did.

I think Lee's biggest blunder WAS at Gettysburg but it was on the first day. Richard Ewell had a chance to take Culp's Hill north of the town. Lee ordered him to do so "if practicable." That, in Ewell's mind gave him discretion and he didn't really try to take Culp's Hill. Had he done so he would have commanded the entire Union position and the battle would have ended there. Mead would have been forced to retreat. There would never have been a Pickett's charge. The mistake Lee made was leaving an ambiguity in his order. THAT was a mistake US Grant NEVER made. I think one of the key factors in Grant's generalship was the clarity of his written orders. Everyone always knew what he wanted done.

Back to top Go down

Post  bird Tue Jan 18, 2011 1:53 am

thats a great point marble, because it seems like Lee gave alot of orders like that, much like JEB Stuart thinking raiding cattle was a key priority while he was missing the first 2 days of action. I definitely agree about the Souths mistake being a beleif that they could win.

you ever read about Bloody Bill and the Civil War within a Civil War???

bird

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Tue Jan 18, 2011 2:03 am

bird wrote:thats a great point marble, because it seems like Lee gave alot of orders like that, much like JEB Stuart thinking raiding cattle was a key priority while he was missing the first 2 days of action. I definitely agree about the Souths mistake being a beleif that they could win.

you ever read about Bloody Bill and the Civil War within a Civil War???

The whole Missouri/Kansas are was a frakking mess for ten years before the damned war began. Then everyone used the war as a pretext for settling scores. Quantrill, Anderson, the James Boys, Terrell etc made that whole thing a real mess. The numbers don't show large numbers of deaths compared to the major theaters of the war. But it was as brutal as any of them.

Back to top Go down

Post  bird Tue Jan 18, 2011 2:20 am

i agree maybe you can help me, there was a teenager under Anderson who took over a group and became a pretty big deal, any clue who he was? I cant remember?

bird

Back to top Go down

Post  bird Tue Jan 18, 2011 2:20 am

i agree maybe you can help me, there was a teenager under Anderson who took over a group and became a pretty big deal, any clue who he was? I cant remember? It wasnt James or them, it was someone else.

bird

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Tue Jan 18, 2011 12:05 pm

bird wrote:i agree maybe you can help me, there was a teenager under Anderson who took over a group and became a pretty big deal, any clue who he was? I cant remember?

The James' were both teenagers during the war. Other than those two nobody comes to mind.

Back to top Go down

Post  bird Tue Jan 18, 2011 2:03 pm

I cant recall who it was, I read about him when reading about Bill Anderson, I believe the teenager I am thinking of actually commanded a brigade for the Confederates and was actually legitimately under the army.

bird

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Tue Jan 18, 2011 2:32 pm

bird wrote:I cant recall who it was, I read about him when reading about Bill Anderson, I believe the teenager I am thinking of actually commanded a brigade for the Confederates and was actually legitimately under the army.

The entire Corps of Cadets of VMI, mostly teemagers, marched, as one, 75 miles to the Battle of New Market and played a key role in that battle. That's all I can think of.

Back to top Go down

Post  bird Tue Jan 18, 2011 3:08 pm

Ever hear of Franz Siegel? the Union commander that retreated from the VMI cadets

bird

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Tue Jan 18, 2011 3:39 pm

bird wrote:Ever hear of Franz Siegel? the Union commander that retreated from the VMI cadets

He also got his butt kicked by Stonewall in the Shenandoah Capmaign (didn't everyone?).

Back to top Go down

Post  bird Tue Jan 18, 2011 3:49 pm

hahah ya losing to Jackson isnt so bad but fleeing VMI cadets is another thing, man what a crappy way to be remembered.

bird

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down