The Boxing Palace
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Starting to see a trend?

5 posters

Go down

Starting to see a trend? Empty Starting to see a trend?

Post  flapanther2001 Sun Dec 26, 2010 12:50 pm

I'm as big a Pacquiao fan as anyone, but this fight with Mosley is pissing me off. There is no reason, other than name recognition to the casual fans, for Manny to make this fight. He could make just as much fighting Berto or Marquez for that matter. I'm starting to see a trend in his opponents (aside from their styles) that I don't like. Mosley is coming off a bad loss & terrible performance vs Mora. Clottey was coming off a loss. Margarito off the layoff & bad 1st fight back. Hatton & ODLH were both beaten by Mayweather (actually Mosley will be the third fighter that already lost to Floyd that Manny has faced). I doubt I'll even watch this beat down of a 39 year old former great. It's reminiscent of Calzaghe fighting Jones & B-Hop after their primes (not actually sure when B-Hop's prime is). I'm not trying to stir up any Pac/Floyd shit, but Manny could have chosen a better opponent considering his career is winding down. Thoughts?
flapanther2001
flapanther2001

Back to top Go down

Starting to see a trend? Empty Re: Starting to see a trend?

Post  Guest Sun Dec 26, 2010 5:14 pm

I've been saying for ages Manny has been carefully matched since he moved up from Super Featherweight, but that still doesn't make his achievements less impressive.

Manny kicked Clottey, Cotto and Hatton's butts with ease when he was practically a lightweight.

Back to top Go down

Post  GrantZilla Sun Dec 26, 2010 5:19 pm

Actualy, I agree with this article, which basicaly explains what's going on as the "The Pretty Boy Floyd Effect"

http://www.boxingnews24.com/2010/12/the-pretty-boy-floyd-effect/
GrantZilla
GrantZilla

Back to top Go down

Post  flapanther2001 Sun Dec 26, 2010 5:50 pm

GrantZilla wrote:Actualy, I agree with this article, which basicaly explains what's going on as the "The Pretty Boy Floyd Effect"

http://www.boxingnews24.com/2010/12/the-pretty-boy-floyd-effect/
Good article.
flapanther2001
flapanther2001

Back to top Go down

Post  UBeeg9cats Sun Dec 26, 2010 8:55 pm

I'm a big Pac fan also but impossible to defend his last 2 fights. On top of that, Shane is actually VERY dangerous for about 2 rounds in this fight. Shane hits hard for a WW and has the speed to catch Pac. After 2 or 3 rounds Shane will get beaten up because he is shot. He was already showing signs of permanent damage and this could make it impossible to ignore.

I disagree about Clottey. I feel he is retroactively downgraded and dismissed because of the fight. Clottey has had a fight night weight of 170 before so that shows he is a massive WW. He was a top 5 WW who had received several bad breaks. He had lost a Split Decision to Cotto at NYC for Puerto Rican Day. Many people had Clottey winning that (I was not one of them). His other 2 losses were a close decision loss to Margarito when Marg came on strong and a DQ to Baldomir which he had an almost insurmountable lead on the cards going into the 11th. If Clottey had fought brilliantly against Pac, NO ONE would question if he was good enough to get the fight especially on short notice.

UBeeg9cats

Back to top Go down

Post  Groundhog Sun Dec 26, 2010 9:46 pm

Good point, but you mentioned JMM and Berto which I can nitpick as well.

JMM: Flod victim
Berto: Many thought he lost to Collazo, has been getting overpaid tuneups on HBO ever since.

There other way around; you can say Clottey arguably beat Cotto (I thought he did by a point or two). I can't defend the Cheato fight but at the same time I can't help but marvel about what Pacboy did in that fight.

It seems to me that most people want to see either Berto or the winner of Bradley-Alexander fight Pac. I'm one of those who thinks Berto should be Pac's next opponent, simply because he is #3 at 147.

My big problem is that all Pac fights must be on PPV. That's the big issue. I don't think most people would have a problem with Pac/Mosley if Uncle Bob didn't slap it on a 60 smackaroo PPV. Should be HBO WCB stuff. Thing is Bob isn't dumb and knows how to make money.

Last edited by Groundhog on Sun Dec 26, 2010 10:13 pm; edited 1 time in total (Reason for editing : i put Quintana instead of Collazo)

Groundhog

Back to top Go down

Post  captainanddew Sun Dec 26, 2010 10:11 pm

every fighter has flaws and except for a rather miniscule minority, those that are at or near the top of the sport have lost.

I think you can point out flaws in Pac's opponents. I said ODH wasn't the same after watching the Forbes fight. Diaz was rather limited for a legit top 10 guy and beltholder. Hatton had been KO'd by Floyd. There was flaws in Cotto, Clottey, and Cheato.

Mosley really has looked like a very faded fighter in the last 2 bouts. Unless he goes and lives with BHOP and learns the secret to the fountain of youth, he will be a sitting duck come fight night.

I would love to see Manny face Floyd, Berto, or the top guys at 140. I can see Pac beating them all, but those guys have enough handspeed to give Pac trouble (and possibly win the fight).
captainanddew
captainanddew

Back to top Go down

Post  GrantZilla Mon Dec 27, 2010 4:37 am

Groundhog wrote:My big problem is that all Pac fights must be on PPV. That's the big issue. I don't think most people would have a problem with Pac/Mosley if Uncle Bob didn't slap it on a 60 smackaroo PPV. Should be HBO WCB stuff. Thing is Bob isn't dumb and knows how to make money.

Pac-Man is a greedy fuck. Why I never fully liked the guy. He's as greedy as Mayweather. Difference is Mayweather has never hid the fact. He plays it up.

Manny puts on a fake humble personality, and The Roach acts like he's above such sleazy tactics. Yet he's not.

GrantZilla
GrantZilla

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down