The Boxing Palace
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

PED question for the board.

+4
flapanther2001
dmar5143
BoxingGenius
Frank
8 posters

Go down

PED question for the board.  Empty PED question for the board.

Post  Frank Wed Jun 05, 2013 9:10 am

The following headline appeared on CNN this morning: Report: Scandal may be baseball's worst

If you haven't heard, some of baseball’s biggest stars are about to be suspended for 100 games.

I recall an historic event earlier in this century. President Bush (George W.) ordered an investigation into Major League Baseball players and their use of PEDs. I'm not a baseball fan, though I think the major suspects were Sammy Sosa and Mark Aguire (Please excuse the spelling of the last name. I know he was in a ferocious competition with Sammy Sosa for major league homeruns or something of that nature.)

Does anyone have an opinion on why Prez Bush or Prez Obama has yet to call an investigation into the steroid use in the NBA, NFL and Boxing? Can it be "Political Correctness" or something more sinister?

Frank

Back to top Go down

PED question for the board.  Empty Re: PED question for the board.

Post  BoxingGenius Wed Jun 05, 2013 10:48 am

i think the main difference is that these baseball players are failing for steroids which are illegal in the US, not just in the sport. a lot of boxers fail drug tests for things like diuretics that are perfectly legal for the normal person to take they just arent allowed in the sport. the government got involved in baseball because they wanted to shut down the crooked clinics that were distributing steroids to the players

BoxingGenius

Back to top Go down

Post  Frank Wed Jun 05, 2013 12:23 pm

BoxingGenius wrote:i think the main difference is that these baseball players are failing for steroids which are illegal in the US, not just in the sport. a lot of boxers fail drug tests for things like diuretics that are perfectly legal for the normal person to take they just arent allowed in the sport. the government got involved in baseball because they wanted to shut down the crooked clinics that were distributing steroids to the players
That's a good answer as far as baseball and boxing are concerned, but what about the NBA and the NFL?

Frank

Back to top Go down

Post  BoxingGenius Wed Jun 05, 2013 3:21 pm

Frank wrote:
BoxingGenius wrote:i think the main difference is that these baseball players are failing for steroids which are illegal in the US, not just in the sport. a lot of boxers fail drug tests for things like diuretics that are perfectly legal for the normal person to take they just arent allowed in the sport. the government got involved in baseball because they wanted to shut down the crooked clinics that were distributing steroids to the players
That's a good answer as far as baseball and boxing are concerned, but what about the NBA and the NFL?
not really sure, just taking a stab at it. maybe baseballs commissioner brought it to court? i know the baseball players union is probably the strongest in sports so maybe they were hard to deal with and it became a legal issue? cant really speak on the inner-workings of things like this. but it does seem as though PEDs are more rampant in baseball than other sports.

BoxingGenius

Back to top Go down

Post  dmar5143 Wed Jun 05, 2013 4:13 pm

frank realy a excellent topic.why not intervention on all sports.i don't know.baseball has had a problem of abuse with peds for well over a decade and a half with the owners trainers players managers and the commish all turning there backs on it.
years ago in a long exposee in espn magazine of that topic in baseball the title was who knew.everyone knew.
baseball did itself tons of harm in a strike that shortened the season and cancelled the world series..the sosa -McGuire home run record breaking shootout brought fans back by the droves.many of thoses wishfull thinking fans thought it was talent alone.it wasn't and everyone knew why in the inner circle of the game.the main reason was roids aided by a livelier ball parks on the average over 50 feet smaller then when ruth played watered down pitching that was awfull no strike zone a small strike zone unless it was tossed in the power zone and going on over 2 decades the pitching mound lowered by almost 6 inches to give hitters the advantage.
the results were a routine fly ball became a homer.
canceco was the first to use them regularly and McGuire used his whole career.in the begining players most of them clean used to joke that guys drinking the jose canceco milkshake.
football is loaded with them also.have been for years.hell the great lyle alzado died from them.so did a mvp baseball player..
bike sport is laughable.all of them are on it.
this commish was sort of forced to take action of some sort because of government outcry.if not for that he would care less.same with the rest of the commish guys including mr goodell mr goody two shoes.
unfortunetly every one is suspect even the clean good players.ruth was a overgrown child ted Williams a prick DiMaggio aloof mantle a asshole berra and musial first class people all the way.no matter flaws or no flaws they were heros of the youth and adults also.they played the game for the love of it and clean noncheating folks.
is it the governments role to interveen.i don't know but for the integrity of thoses sports id like to think so.id love for them to say forget the 50 game suspensions or the 4 game ones.we are going to drug test fully and if you fail its jail time.
dmar5143
dmar5143

Back to top Go down

Post  flapanther2001 Wed Jun 05, 2013 5:39 pm

MLB is an American sport & has had gov't intervention since 1919 (Black Sox scandal). Boxing is world wide so it can't be run by an American only supervisory board. Boxing needs a commission & a Czar to rule on this.
flapanther2001
flapanther2001

Back to top Go down

Post  dmar5143 Wed Jun 05, 2013 6:02 pm

flapanther2001 wrote:MLB is an American sport & has had gov't intervention since 1919 (Black Sox scandal). Boxing is world wide so it can't be run by an American only supervisory board. Boxing needs a commission & a Czar to rule on this.
...great points.
dmar5143
dmar5143

Back to top Go down

Post  EnragedSlayer Wed Jun 05, 2013 7:00 pm

Baseballs history of drug use and getting an advantage over other goes far back. Back in the day Pete Rose and other players would use Speed (Amphetamines) all the time.

NBA players use PEDs mostly to stay healthy for the long season, and the league over looks it so that the stars stay on the court.

The NFL players union has been pretty strong in fighting any added drug testing especially in the case of HGH.
EnragedSlayer
EnragedSlayer

Back to top Go down

Post  boxinglawyer Wed Jun 05, 2013 11:07 pm

I have a friend who is a former MLB player and currently a regional sports radio host. He played in the late 70's and early 80's. He was also an NCAA QB for a division one program. He tells stories of how rampant drug use was in Baseball. Mostly the drugs of choice were "greenies" and meth amphetamines. The excuse being the long road trips and demanding schedule. Anything to stay on the field.
By comparison, there were steroid users in football in that time, but he said the real drug of choice, which is now illegal in the USA, was Ephedra drugs.
Drug use has without a doubt ramped up in the last couple of decades. Multiple athletes have failed in multiple sports. If the powers that be think it is best, they will try to stop it. Whatever sport they control.

Baseball was once the top sport in the land. Just as boxing once was. Both have fallen from grace. One is climbing back into the light, the other needs to make a decision NOW on what they are gonna do.

boxinglawyer

Back to top Go down

Post  dbudge Sun Jun 23, 2013 2:23 am

I don't understand it. Baseball is silly boys rounders, why do u need PEDs??

dbudge

Back to top Go down

Post  hardcorebee24 Sun Jun 23, 2013 3:41 am

dbudge wrote:I don't understand it. Baseball is silly boys rounders, why do u need PEDs??
Hit the ball further.  Recover from injuries from a long season.  Throw the ball faster.  Gain a giant head and miniscule balls.
hardcorebee24
hardcorebee24

Back to top Go down

Post  dbudge Sun Jun 23, 2013 2:30 pm

hardcorebee24 wrote:
dbudge wrote:I don't understand it. Baseball is silly boys rounders, why do u need PEDs??
Hit the ball further.  Recover from injuries from a long season.  Throw the ball faster.  Gain a giant head and miniscule balls.

Hairy muff

dbudge

Back to top Go down

Post  hardcorebee24 Sun Jun 23, 2013 11:03 pm

dbudge wrote:
hardcorebee24 wrote:

Hairy muff

Fur Burger.
hardcorebee24
hardcorebee24

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down