The Boxing Palace
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

SHOWTIME LOSES 12 MILLION DOLLARS ON FLOYD FIGHT.

4 posters

Go down

SHOWTIME LOSES 12 MILLION DOLLARS ON FLOYD FIGHT. Empty SHOWTIME LOSES 12 MILLION DOLLARS ON FLOYD FIGHT.

Post  dmar5143 Tue Jun 04, 2013 7:01 am

showtime and Floyd found out a million ppvs is not a lock.manny pac found that out with the clottey fight as well as the marquez 4 fight where hbo claims it did 1 million 25 thousand.showtime according to forbes magazine says the fight did just over a million.so much for PR and saving face.several boxing insiders said the fight capped off at 875 000..the result in reality according to forbes was a 12 million dollar loss for the priveldge of showing a Floyd fight.
did this prompt showtime to get into the act of demanding a alvarez fight.i don't know but no one in the boxing business is saying the alvarez fight will not do big big numbers .it will.the RG fight as well as the clottey fight was all pac and Floyd and that's impressive.the big difference is that pac was getting maybe 6 million up front with a huge backend gauranteing a 20 million dollar payday.floyds money was 32 million up front a big mistake by showtime.
the alvarez projected numbers says Floyd will make 50 million plus for that fight.will it draw a profit.yep no doubt in my mind.
the problem lies in my thoughts that the genius of al haymon in negotiating has showtime over a barrel..my understanding that floyds upfront money for each fight is 32 million.
after the alvarez fight does a kahn alexander a Garcia a LM a berto or any other fight look like a sure winner.nope.the risk factor is too great.will showtime face another big loss or two or a breakeven type of thing or a little profit in the other fights..yep indeed.
al haymon did his job in maximizing money for his fighter.hats off to him.
the problem is showtime who now is on par with hbo or maybe better will suffer because of that.heads could roll in a year or so.
ppvs is not part of a boxing budjet unless of course it losses 12 million dollars.the money comes from somewhere to cover that.thus the boxing budjet could suffer.if it does it hurts the game.
if I where a showtime executive id be rooting for a non controversial alvarez win setting the stage for a rematch that will do maybe even bigger numbers.that saves all there butts.
dmar5143
dmar5143

Back to top Go down

SHOWTIME LOSES 12 MILLION DOLLARS ON FLOYD FIGHT. Empty Re: SHOWTIME LOSES 12 MILLION DOLLARS ON FLOYD FIGHT.

Post  captainanddew Tue Jun 04, 2013 7:29 am

espinoza at showtime has disputed this report on twitter. Of course he wouldn't admit a loss because it would be embarrassing for showtime. He and Dan Rafael have gotten into a little bit of a tizzy fit on twitter about it (finally Fat Dan did something worthwhile).

I think canelo/Mayweather will do 1.5-1.7 million buys. Best case scenario for Showtime is Canelo makes it competitive enough that a rematch will be warranted (even if only warranted in the mind of his fans).
captainanddew
captainanddew

Back to top Go down

SHOWTIME LOSES 12 MILLION DOLLARS ON FLOYD FIGHT. Empty Re: SHOWTIME LOSES 12 MILLION DOLLARS ON FLOYD FIGHT.

Post  BoxingGenius Tue Jun 04, 2013 3:40 pm

i dont think showtime is looking at this on a fight by fight basis. they have him for 6 fights, they want to come out on top overall. the guerrero fight introduced him to the showtime audience, which is far smaller than hbos mind you, if he progressively does bigger numbers each fight they make a boatload in the long run. also, showtime probably got some new subscribers when he switched over as well which cuts into the loss. floyd does have fans believe it or not. even if they lost 12 million i dont think they are upset just yet.

BoxingGenius

Back to top Go down

Post  dmar5143 Tue Jun 04, 2013 7:56 pm

BG Floyd doesn't need to be introduced to showtime people or anyone else..ppv potential is the same for both hbo or showtime.you can buy direct from the cable outlet showing that fight for they also advertise plenty.if Floyd had lost that fight showtime could and probably would void the 6 fight deal and go one a fight to fight basis especialy after the horrible numbers it did.its in the contract that a Floyd loss showtime can void the 6 fight deal.by the way its up to six fights over 30 months.floyd can do only 4 if he wanted to.
does anyone see a kahn a alexander a Garcia a LM a berto fight names that have been tossed around as a possible Floyd fight do a ongoing increase in numbers.theres no boatload of money to be made with thoses fights.risk factor of a loss is reality.
as far as Floyd fans they could care less if showtime or hbo loses money.its irrelavent to them.lets see.if showtime paid 2 million dollars a fight card for six fights and got zero ratings .they lost 12 million would they worry.you bet the would.yep there worried about that contract.take alvarez out of the picture they would be more then worried.they would panic.
dmar5143
dmar5143

Back to top Go down

Post  powerpuncher Wed Jun 05, 2013 2:34 am

i agree with you dmar. the problem is that yes, the alvarez fight will be huge and bring in a ton of money, but the problem ends up if floyd wins that fight and fights another fighter without a big name. he will still be demanding a ton of guaranteed money. if they give it to him, im sure that every other fight of his will lose money.
powerpuncher
powerpuncher

Back to top Go down

Post  BoxingGenius Wed Jun 05, 2013 9:49 am

dmar5143 wrote:BG Floyd doesn't need to be introduced to showtime people or anyone else..ppv potential is the same for both hbo or showtime.you can buy direct from the cable outlet showing that fight for they also advertise plenty.if Floyd had lost that fight showtime could and probably would void the 6 fight deal and go one a fight to fight basis especialy after the horrible numbers it did.its in the contract that a Floyd loss showtime can void the 6 fight deal.by the way its up to six fights over 30 months.floyd can do only 4 if he wanted to.
does anyone see a kahn a alexander a Garcia a LM a berto fight names that have been tossed around as a possible Floyd fight do a ongoing increase in numbers.theres no boatload of money to be made with thoses fights.risk factor of a loss is reality.
as far as Floyd fans they could care less if showtime or hbo loses money.its irrelavent to them.lets see.if showtime paid 2 million dollars a fight card for six fights and got zero ratings .they lost 12 million would they worry.you bet the would.yep there worried about that contract.take alvarez out of the picture they would be more then worried.they would panic.
i meant moreso to introduce his opponents to their audience. people now know who guerrero is, canelo will become a bigger name as with anyone floyd fights on their network. there is a trickle down affect to their boxing wing as a whole due to signing floyd. all of floyds fights could lose a little bit of money, but if it makes the oppnents all bigger name showtime fighters and their fights bring in big profits down the road it may be worth it. casual fans will think the guys floyd faces are legitimate because they fought floyd. guerrreros next fight on regular showtime will do bigger numbers than it would have had he never fought floyd. its like when a factory buysnew machinery, they may be in a hole for a few years, but long term down the roadthey will start to make substantial profits because of it. showtime invested heavily in their boxing program and i bet that as they continue to make fights, more and more people will subscribe to the network

BoxingGenius

Back to top Go down

Post  BoxingGenius Wed Jun 05, 2013 9:52 am

powerpuncher wrote:i agree with you dmar. the problem is that yes, the alvarez fight will be huge and bring in a ton of money, but the problem ends up if floyd wins that fight and fights another fighter without a big name. he will still be demanding a ton of guaranteed money. if they give it to him, im sure that every other fight of his will lose money.
best case for them is alvarez wins or it is at least close maybe he KDs floyd something that can warrant a rematch on cinco de mayo. they need at least 2 fights out of floyd alvarez i think, so they can let the other guys, (khan, alexander, garcia, matthysse, etc.) battle it out to see whos the next opponent. i bet they have their fingers crossed that khan beats devon, and the winner of garcia matthysse should it happen. floyd kahn would be huge then if they did it in england. again thats unlikely due to the glass jaw lol especially against garcia or matthysse. but stranger things have happened. 1 thing i respect about khan is he will fight anyone.

BoxingGenius

Back to top Go down

Post  powerpuncher Thu Jun 06, 2013 2:49 am

BoxingGenius wrote:
powerpuncher wrote:i agree with you dmar. the problem is that yes, the alvarez fight will be huge and bring in a ton of money, but the problem ends up if floyd wins that fight and fights another fighter without a big name. he will still be demanding a ton of guaranteed money. if they give it to him, im sure that every other fight of his will lose money.
best case for them is alvarez wins or it is at least close maybe he KDs floyd something that can warrant a rematch on cinco de mayo. they need at least 2 fights out of floyd alvarez i think, so they can let the other guys, (khan, alexander, garcia, matthysse, etc.) battle it out to see whos the next opponent. i bet they have their fingers crossed that khan beats devon, and the winner of garcia matthysse should it happen. floyd kahn would be huge then if they did it in england. again thats unlikely due to the glass jaw lol especially against garcia or matthysse. but stranger things have happened. 1 thing i respect about khan is he will fight anyone.
i agree that fighting khan in england could bring in a lot of money. the gate would be massive and you would have the whole country watching that fight. and if LM can get a few more explosive KO's and prove even more how beastly he is, maybe he could beat floyd and become the next big thing in boxing.
powerpuncher
powerpuncher

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down