The Boxing Palace
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Mayweather Canelo Signed for Sept 14

+7
captainanddew
Soonermark890
dmar5143
powerpuncher
hardcorebee24
flapanther2001
BoxingGenius
11 posters

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next

Go down

Mayweather Canelo Signed for Sept 14 Empty Mayweather Canelo Signed for Sept 14

Post  BoxingGenius Wed May 29, 2013 10:42 pm

Jr mw title fight may have a 152lb catch weight which is fair IMO. Very pumped up about this one! Credit to both fighters for stepping up.

BoxingGenius

Back to top Go down

Mayweather Canelo Signed for Sept 14 Empty Re: Mayweather Canelo Signed for Sept 14

Post  flapanther2001 Wed May 29, 2013 11:32 pm

152 is not fair. Floyd has a belt at 154......
flapanther2001
flapanther2001

Back to top Go down

Mayweather Canelo Signed for Sept 14 Empty Re: Mayweather Canelo Signed for Sept 14

Post  hardcorebee24 Thu May 30, 2013 2:26 am

This doesn't make sense.
hardcorebee24
hardcorebee24

Back to top Go down

Post  powerpuncher Thu May 30, 2013 2:31 am

i dont like catch weight fights, but what irks me about this one is that floyd always talked about pac fighting at catchweight and draining his opponents. floyd says that he fights them at their best. canelo is already big for the weight class. an extra 2 pounds may not seem like a lot, but when you are cutting that amount of weight, it is a lot.

i am surprised though that the fight has been made (or at least announced) so fast. i didnt at all think that this fight would happen in september.
powerpuncher
powerpuncher

Back to top Go down

Post  hardcorebee24 Thu May 30, 2013 2:57 am

powerpuncher wrote:i dont like catch weight fights, but what irks me about this one is that floyd always talked about pac fighting at catchweight and draining his opponents. floyd says that he fights them at their best. canelo is already big for the weight class. an extra 2 pounds may not seem like a lot, but when you are cutting that amount of weight, it is a lot.

i am surprised though that the fight has been made (or at least announced) so fast. i didnt at all think that this fight would happen in september.

That's why I said this doesn't make sense.
hardcorebee24
hardcorebee24

Back to top Go down

Post  dmar5143 Thu May 30, 2013 7:19 am

flapanther2001 wrote:152 is not fair. Floyd has a belt at 154......
...I don't care for the 152 myself.alvarez I feel made the consession because the money was right but I agree it could hurt him .Floyd fought catchweight to accommodate marquez but completely ignored it.depending on the fine alvarez should perhaps do the same thing.
there were several signs this fight was a go.the biggest one was cotto fighting in dec I think and Martinez hurt leaving alvarez no big ppv money fight.
this is a big big fight.the gate will sell out doing over 10 million and the ppv at the extreme low end will do 1.5 million.1.7 million to slightly over 2 million is well within reach.
credit goes to both for getting the fight done dispite the fact they will be more then well paid.
this is one fight im looking forward to a ton.so is all of the boxing community.
dmar5143
dmar5143

Back to top Go down

Post  BoxingGenius Thu May 30, 2013 9:13 am

obviously we would all rather 154, but 152 is a lot better than 147. i dont think the 2 lbs will make a huge difference, alvarez will still outweigh floyd by a lot on fight night probably 15-20lbs. i dont see the huge issue everyone is having with the 152 (other than floyd being a hypocrite). floyd has never weighed more than 151 at a weigh in whether he holds a belt at 154 or not is kind of a moot point IMO since there are so many paper titles anyways, hes a welterweight. alvarez is essentially a middleweight, probably could fight as high as 175 if he wanted to. hes a big kid, much bigger than floyd. his last fight he weighed 172 on fight night, and 154 at the weigh in. make it a 152 weigh in hes probably down to 165-170 range on fight night to floyds 150. obviously you cant say the 2lbs doesnt mean anything otherwise floyd wouldnt have asked for it, but at the same time, we got a very big very good fight signed for september and i for one am excited about it. its early but right now, for the first time in my life, i am picking against floyd. canelo 9th round KO. theres a lot of power in those fists, if old man mosley can rock floyd canelo can put him down and maybe out. this is the stiffest test floyds faced since oscar. canelo is 22 if he cant lose an extra 2lbs without being affected then he has no business fighting at 154 to begin with.

BoxingGenius

Back to top Go down

Post  BoxingGenius Thu May 30, 2013 9:35 am

all that being said, i hate catchweight fights deeply, but i think floyd is less comfortable at 152 than alvarez is. floyds a natural 147lber and hes 36, at that age moving weight isnt as easy as it is when you are 22. i dont think the 2lbs makes any difference on fight night, and ill bet that neither do floyd or canelo. i think floyd was just being a diva in asking for the 2lbs because he wanted to make sure he had the upper hand on something at the negotiating table.

BoxingGenius

Back to top Go down

Post  Soonermark890 Thu May 30, 2013 12:10 pm

LMFAO Floyd is such a POS. Whatever happened to him not fighting at catch-weights?

Either way Floyd wins an easy UD. It wouldnt matter if it was at 154. Canello is not ready for Floyd.
Soonermark890
Soonermark890
Admin

https://theboxingpalace.forumotion.com

Back to top Go down

Post  BoxingGenius Thu May 30, 2013 1:00 pm

Soonermark890 wrote:LMFAO Floyd is such a POS. Whatever happened to him not fighting at catch-weights?

Either way Floyd wins an easy UD. It wouldnt matter if it was at 154. Canello is not ready for Floyd.

i didnt bash pac for doing it to cotto so i cant bash floyd for doing it to canelo. bottom line is this is an awesome fight, and a far riskier endeavor than floyd has taken in recent years. canelo wants floyds title, not the other way around, normally you go to the champs division if you want their title, floyds the p4p champ canelo wants it, hes lucky floyd even came to 152. that said id take canelo-floyd at 152 over floyd vs any of the 147lbers right now any day of the week

BoxingGenius

Back to top Go down

Post  Soonermark890 Thu May 30, 2013 5:31 pm

BoxingGenius wrote:
Soonermark890 wrote:LMFAO Floyd is such a POS. Whatever happened to him not fighting at catch-weights?

i didnt bash pac for doing it to cotto so i cant bash floyd for doing it to canelo. bottom line is this is an awesome fight, and a far riskier endeavor than floyd has taken in recent years. canelo wants floyds title, not the other way around, normally you go to the champs division if you want their title, floyds the p4p champ canelo wants it, hes lucky floyd even came to 152. that said id take canelo-floyd at 152 over floyd vs any of the 147lbers right now any day of the week
Its better than the Ghost.
Soonermark890
Soonermark890
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  captainanddew Thu May 30, 2013 6:02 pm

canelo fought matthew hatton in March of 2011. The weight was 150. Canelo came in at 151.8.

I don't know if Canelo blew off weight for that fight or couldn't get lower than that. It is going to be 2.5 yrs later. Is getting from 154 to 152 going to drain him? I think it will have an effect on him.

I have a simple idea-blow off the weight, come in at 154, and pay whatever penalty. Or as I call it, pull a Mayweather.
captainanddew
captainanddew

Back to top Go down

Post  captainanddew Thu May 30, 2013 6:15 pm

you know what fighter would have given Floyd fits in the past half decade? Paul Williams at 147. He would have thrown a shitload of punches with an enormously long reach. Floyd would have figured him out, but it would have been fun.
captainanddew
captainanddew

Back to top Go down

Post  hardcorebee24 Thu May 30, 2013 11:54 pm

captainanddew wrote:you know what fighter would have given Floyd fits in the past half decade? Paul Williams at 147. He would have thrown a shitload of punches with an enormously long reach. Floyd would have figured him out, but it would have been fun.

Hmmm. Williams fought small and has had problems when boxed. I never thought much of Williams and I think Mayweather would have torn him up.
hardcorebee24
hardcorebee24

Back to top Go down

Post  powerpuncher Fri May 31, 2013 3:22 am

just like every fight floyd is in now, i think that he should easily beat canelo IF he doesnt get old overnight. i think that canelo is a good fighter but still has some flaws that will play right into mayweathers hands.
powerpuncher
powerpuncher

Back to top Go down

Post  BoxingGenius Fri May 31, 2013 10:09 am

Soonermark890 wrote:
BoxingGenius wrote:

Its better than the Ghost.
bigger and better than any other fight in the sport right now (except floyd-canelo at 154 lol)

BoxingGenius

Back to top Go down

Post  BoxingGenius Fri May 31, 2013 10:12 am

im surprised theres not more buzz about this one. this is the fight fans asked for, and for once we got it. yea its at a catch weight but big freaking deal. floyds not a jr mw they met closer to 154 than 147 canelos team supposedly said they can go as low as 150 so i doubt they see the weight as an issue. i cannot wait to see canelo alvarez with his arm raised after knocking out floyd

BoxingGenius

Back to top Go down

Post  NJBeatdown86 Sat Jun 01, 2013 3:37 pm

Canelo will probably come in a pound over, I don't think the weight will matter too much as I feel that Flod still will easily outbox him. At least it's a megafight that will actually happen.
NJBeatdown86
NJBeatdown86

Back to top Go down

Post  powerpuncher Sun Jun 02, 2013 3:12 am

BoxingGenius wrote:im surprised theres not more buzz about this one. this is the fight fans asked for, and for once we got it. yea its at a catch weight but big freaking deal. floyds not a jr mw they met closer to 154 than 147 canelos team supposedly said they can go as low as 150 so i doubt they see the weight as an issue. i cannot wait to see canelo alvarez with his arm raised after knocking out floyd
i am definitely happy that the fight is happening but just like always in boxing, sometimes things happen that prevent the fight even when everything seems like its in place. once it starts getting closer and its a for sure thing then ill be more excited.
powerpuncher
powerpuncher

Back to top Go down

Post  boxinglawyer Sun Jun 02, 2013 9:04 am

Canelo is not all that. Not yet. He has power, but he is a babe in the woods. Mayweather might not lose a round here. A young prime Shane Mosley, Vernon Forrest, Tito Trinidad, ODLH, would toy with him. He simply does not have the skill level to take it too Mosley. IF he does what he should, he will walk right through Mayweather and stop him in the middle rounds. He wont though. Floyd fools experienced fighters into fighting his pace. He lands what he has to land to control them. He will do the same to Alvarez. Mayweathers roughest and toughest fights to date were with Cotto and Castillo. Two guys he had it all over in talent and ability. They were his toughest fights because he couldnt FOOL them and they would not be CONTROLLED by him. Canelo COULD win, but I dont think he is smart or experienced enough yet to win.

boxinglawyer

Back to top Go down

Post  BoxingGenius Mon Jun 03, 2013 10:40 am

boxinglawyer wrote: Canelo is not all that. Not yet. He has power, but he is a babe in the woods. Mayweather might not lose a round here. A young prime Shane Mosley, Vernon Forrest, Tito Trinidad, ODLH, would toy with him. He simply does not have the skill level to take it too Mosley. IF he does what he should, he will walk right through Mayweather and stop him in the middle rounds. He wont though. Floyd fools experienced fighters into fighting his pace. He lands what he has to land to control them. He will do the same to Alvarez. Mayweathers roughest and toughest fights to date were with Cotto and Castillo. Two guys he had it all over in talent and ability. They were his toughest fights because he couldnt FOOL them and they would not be CONTROLLED by him. Canelo COULD win, but I dont think he is smart or experienced enough yet to win.
i think canelo is better than the version of cotto floyd faced. hes gotta just bull rush floyd to the ropes and pound the body with his combos hoping to maybe slow floyd down by the middle rounds just enough to land something big. easier said than done, but he does have the pop to drop floyd at any time. floyd opened as a -200 favorite, which is his closest line since de la hoya i believe. interesting fight at the very least. the size advantage could play a big factor. same size, floyd beats the brakes off him. but if canelo comes in +20 lbs on him it gets very interesting. thats a LOT of weight for smaller fighters. not much for a HW fight but for a jr MW fight, thats huge.

BoxingGenius

Back to top Go down

Post  Gumby Mon Jun 24, 2013 2:16 pm

Hate the catch weight, love the fight.

I hope Canelo blows off the 152lb limit and comes in at 154. If he does, I think he can beat Floyd. I don't think Floyd is strong enough to hurt Canelo or take his punches. Miguel Cotto at 154 is not a "real" jr middleweight, and by "real" jr. middleweight I mean actual super middleweight on fight night. I don't think his inexperience will be a huge factor because he can walk through Floyd if need be. I hope this turns out like Pavlik v. Martinez.

I don't see how anyone can complain about this. It's the fight everyone wants. I hope they stack the undercard because this is the first time I might pay for a Floyd PPV in a while.
Gumby
Gumby

Back to top Go down

Post  powerpuncher Tue Jun 25, 2013 3:28 am

Gumby wrote:Hate the catch weight, love the fight.

I hope Canelo blows off the 152lb limit and comes in at 154. If he does, I think he can beat Floyd. I don't think Floyd is strong enough to hurt Canelo or take his punches. Miguel Cotto at 154 is not a "real" jr middleweight, and by "real" jr. middleweight I mean actual super middleweight on fight night. I don't think his inexperience will be a huge factor because he can walk through Floyd if need be. I hope this turns out like Pavlik v. Martinez.

I don't see how anyone can complain about this. It's the fight everyone wants. I hope they stack the undercard because this is the first time I might pay for a Floyd PPV in a while.

i dont like the catchweight either but supposedly canelo is the one who offered it according to floyd.
powerpuncher
powerpuncher

Back to top Go down

Post  Soonermark890 Tue Jun 25, 2013 8:18 pm

powerpuncher wrote:

i dont like the catchweight either but supposedly canelo is the one who offered it according to floyd.
Why is no major sports network replaying floyd talking shit about catchweights?
Soonermark890
Soonermark890
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  BoxingGenius Wed Jun 26, 2013 4:57 pm

Soonermark890 wrote:
powerpuncher wrote:

Why is no major sports network replaying floyd talking shit about catchweights?

because its completely irrelevant. if they replayed every time an athlete lied or contradicted themself on a major sports network, they wouldnt have time for anything else lol if you're against catchweights, great, if you are for them, great. to each their own. floyd saying he was against them previously and then agreeing to one doesnt really mean anything to me. i got the fight i wanted and its at a weight that i think is fair. if he asked for 147 id be up in arms but 152 is fair since canelo weighed in at like 153 his last fight anyways. i dont think the 2lbs makes any difference in the result so if it offers floyd the peace of mind needed to take the fight then im all for it. sometimes catchweights are a necessary evil to make the fights we demand. boxing fans as a whole, we're impossible to please lol we complain about everything and anything. floyd contradicting himself about catchweights is the least of my concerns in the fight game these days lol as long as hes fighting a guy who has a shot im cool with it. he could have just as easily rematched ortiz at 147 for a boatload of cash and an easy UD so ill take what i can get

BoxingGenius

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next