The Boxing Palace
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Andre Ward's dumb logic

+5
Diego408
gomez1012
UBeeg9cats
Tobe
hardcorebee24
9 posters

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next

Go down

Andre Ward's dumb logic Empty Andre Ward's dumb logic

Post  Guest Thu Dec 02, 2010 10:58 am

On criticisms he gets from some fans that his last few fights have been in his home town:

“At the end of the day they can say, whomever the detractors may be, what they want to say about me fighting at home. If they get the list of some other guys that fight at home exclusively then my four fights at home won’t even match up against some of the other guys, so I just think they need live well enough alone and let it be what it is now. If there’s clear injustice taking place every time I fight at home, if there’s some kind of foul play going on where guys are getting cheated I can understand an uproar, but I think I’ve earned the right to fight at home and I don’t think the judges, or the referees, or anybody else has played a role in my fights in terms of helping me win. So at the end of the day that’s just something that they’re writing about. It’s unfortunate, but I’m going to continue to do what I do and every opportunity I get to fight at home I’m going to fight at home.”

http://www.eastsideboxing.com/news.php?p=25953&more=1

Sure because fighting exclusively in your backyard earns you the right to continue fighting in your backyard. smh

Back to top Go down

Andre Ward's dumb logic Empty Re: Andre Ward's dumb logic

Post  hardcorebee24 Thu Dec 02, 2010 11:15 am

I get what he's saying. He's won convincingly at home everytime so its a no issue because he's selling tickets and there is no controversy. It's completely illogical to think that the only place he should be fighting is at home. National appeal would do him well with endorsements as well as competition. Is he saying that he would not face Froch or Bute in Vegas or New York? Even LA? If that's the case then Ward is ridiculous.
hardcorebee24
hardcorebee24

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Thu Dec 02, 2010 11:26 am

hardcorebee24 wrote:I get what he's saying. He's won convincingly at home everytime so its a no issue because he's selling tickets and there is no controversy. It's completely illogical to think that the only place he should be fighting is at home. National appeal would do him well with endorsements as well as competition. Is he saying that he would not face Froch or Bute in Vegas or New York? Even LA? If that's the case then Ward is ridiculous.
...very well put.

Back to top Go down

Post  Tobe Thu Dec 02, 2010 11:40 am

He does have a point that Froch and Bute have, to some extent, benefitted from home-cooking; whereas Ward hasn't as yet. Still, it's dumb to think people will keep coming to your backyard to fight you when you really haven't done anything to merit that yet. Especially if he means that guys who are bigger draws in their cities (Bute, Froch) than he is in the Bay area should come to him. Just posturing, I think.

All that aside it's fun to see a guy fight in his hometown - you get crowds way more into it and that generates excitement that comes through in TV coverage and helps the sport.
Tobe
Tobe

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Thu Dec 02, 2010 12:45 pm

None of his opponents have complained ala Froch. Kessler got his hometown fight. No way did Allan Green deserve fight in OK.

We're over here scratching our heads at Bradley-Alexander being put in Detroit, Ward's fights In Oakland just made the most sense

Back to top Go down

Post  hardcorebee24 Thu Dec 02, 2010 12:49 pm

ExpertMcGee wrote:None of his opponents have complained ala Froch. Kessler got his hometown fight. No way did Allan Green deserve fight in OK.

We're over here scratching our heads at Bradley-Alexander being put in Detroit, Ward's fights In Oakland just made the most sense

I agree with what you're saying. If he thinks he'll never have to fight outside Oakland, then I disagree with his logic. The last few fights in Oakland I have no problems with. It also helps that he wins convincingly.
hardcorebee24
hardcorebee24

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Thu Dec 02, 2010 12:52 pm

I understand having the Green and Bika fights in Oakland, it makes perfect financial sense for those type of opponents. But considering Kessler was the defending champion and everyone else has had to travel in the Super Six, Ward shouldn't be allowed to stay in his comfort zone for every single fight.

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Thu Dec 02, 2010 12:56 pm

Ali wrote:I understand having the Green and Bika fights in Oakland, it makes perfect financial sense for those type of opponents. But considering Kessler was the defending champion and everyone else has had to travel in the Super Six, Ward shouldn't be allowed to stay in his comfort zone for every single fight.

So then where would've Kessler-Froch been held?

Back to top Go down

Post  hardcorebee24 Thu Dec 02, 2010 12:57 pm

ExpertMcGee wrote:
Ali wrote:I understand having the Green and Bika fights in Oakland, it makes perfect financial sense for those type of opponents. But considering Kessler was the defending champion and everyone else has had to travel in the Super Six, Ward shouldn't be allowed to stay in his comfort zone for every single fight.

Oakland.
hardcorebee24
hardcorebee24

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Thu Dec 02, 2010 12:58 pm

ExpertMcGee wrote:

No where else, Froch has no problem traveling for fights.

Back to top Go down

Post  UBeeg9cats Thu Dec 02, 2010 1:06 pm

Its all really a set of lucky/unlucky circumstances that put his last 3 fights in Oakland. When you think that there were 9 preliminary fights scheduled, you see 3 fighters would get 2 hometown fights. Ward happened to be the American that would get 2 hometown fights because JT didn't deserve it and Dirrell is not a draw anywhere. His 2 hometown fights happened to be his first 2. He got lucky the Kessler one was at home but then Showtime was forced to put the Green fight there to get any gate whatsoever. Then the Sakio fight was outside the tournament with relatively short notice against another non-draw. Showtime was again forced to put it in Oakland.

I agree there has been no problem with the fights already fought there but Ward should be expecting to go on the road for some fights. I think the semifinals and finals could be in Vegas as well as the Bute fight would be in Canada.

UBeeg9cats

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Thu Dec 02, 2010 1:06 pm

ExpertMcGee wrote:

Then Kessler would've had 2 hometown fights

Back to top Go down

Post  gomez1012 Thu Dec 02, 2010 1:09 pm

Really doubt the semis or finals will be in Oakland so quit complaining
gomez1012
gomez1012

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Thu Dec 02, 2010 1:09 pm

All the other boxers who've participated in the tournament have had to travel abroad at least once, Ward hasn't. Prior to the tournament Ward has been fighting in his hometown, the others haven't.

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Thu Dec 02, 2010 1:10 pm

gomez1012 wrote:Really doubt the semis or finals will be in Oakland so quit complaining

I am complaining about his attitude, he's acting like he's earned the right to fight at home when he's done nothing outside of Oakland.

Back to top Go down

Post  gomez1012 Thu Dec 02, 2010 1:36 pm

Ali wrote:
gomez1012 wrote:Really doubt the semis or finals will be in Oakland so quit complaining

I am complaining about his attitude, he's acting like he's earned the right to fight at home when he's done nothing outside of Oakland.

Does it change what happened in the ring?

They could of happened in Zimbabwe and still have those wins

gomez1012
gomez1012

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Thu Dec 02, 2010 1:39 pm

gomez1012 wrote:
Ali wrote:

Does it change what happened in the ring?

They could of happened in Zimbabwe and still have those wins

I am not debating whether Ward would have still beaten those guys outside Oakland, I just hate his attitude that he should remain at home for all of his fights.

Back to top Go down

Post  Diego408 Thu Dec 02, 2010 1:52 pm

Theres nothing flawed about his logic. Ward means because he dominates without help from the Refs and Judges *cough Froch*, there shouldnt be a problem with him fighitng in Oakland. His fight at home vs Kessler was acceptable. People complain about his home fights against Green and Bika, but what i dont get is they were all replacement opponents with no draw themselves, giving them no room to complain. They were just fortunate to fight for the title and be put in the Super 6 headlines.

Had Ward agreed to fight Dirrell at Detroit or anywhere in Michigan, Dirrell would of pulled out anyways. The guy was in fear, Taylor just got retired by an above average fighter (Abraham).
Diego408
Diego408

Back to top Go down

Post  gomez1012 Thu Dec 02, 2010 1:53 pm

Ali wrote:
I am not debating whether Ward would have still beaten those guys outside Oakland, I just hate his attitude that he should remain at home for all of his fights.

He's not lobbying to fight at home though like Froch was

He just saying, if I get the opportunity to fight at home, why not, take advantage of it

If there’s clear injustice taking place every time I fight at home, if there’s some kind of foul play going on where guys are getting cheated I can understand an uproar, but I think I’ve earned the right to fight at home and I don’t think the judges, or the referees, or anybody else has played a role in my fights in terms of helping me win. So at the end of the day that’s just something that they’re writing about. It’s unfortunate, but I’m going to continue to do what I do and every opportunity I get to fight at home I’m going to fight at home.”
gomez1012
gomez1012

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Thu Dec 02, 2010 2:03 pm

See if I was in Ward or any top boxers positions I'd be campaigning to fight everywhere. I'd have a list of all the venues I'd like to fight in like Staples Center, MGM Grand, MSG, and I would have a list of countries I'd like to fight in like America, Canada, Mexico, Germany, UK, Japan etc

Back to top Go down

Post  gomez1012 Thu Dec 02, 2010 2:11 pm

Ali wrote:See if I was in Ward or any top boxers positions I'd be campaigning to fight everywhere. I'd have a list of all the venues I'd like to fight in like Staples Center, MGM Grand, MSG, and I would have a list of countries I'd like to fight in like America, Canada, Mexico, Germany, UK, Japan etc

Why? When you could be fighting a short drive away?

Look at the Klitschkos/Sturm in Germany, Bute in Canada, etc

Being a draw in your hometown is a BIG thing

Why do you think GBP wants to go back to the UK with Khan? They know fans will show up regardless of who he's fighting
gomez1012
gomez1012

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Thu Dec 02, 2010 2:22 pm

gomez1012 wrote:
Ali wrote:See if I was in Ward or any top boxers positions I'd be campaigning to fight everywhere. I'd have a list of all the venues I'd like to fight in like Staples Center, MGM Grand, MSG, and I would have a list of countries I'd like to fight in like America, Canada, Mexico, Germany, UK, Japan etc

Why? When you could be fighting a short drive away?

Look at the Klitschkos/Sturm in Germany, Bute in Canada, etc

Being a draw in your hometown is a BIG thing

Why do you think GBP wants to go back to the UK with Khan? They know fans will show up regardless of who he's fighting

Because I wouldn't be a boxer for the money, I'd be trying to bring back meaning to the term WORLD CHAMPION.

Back to top Go down

Post  gomez1012 Thu Dec 02, 2010 2:54 pm

Ali wrote:
Because I wouldn't be a boxer for the money, I'd be trying to bring back meaning to the term WORLD CHAMPION.

By this, Bute and Pascal are only Canadian Champs, Wlad is German Champ, etc, etc

I wouldnt care if a title fight happened in the Mojave Desert as long as it pitted the TWO BEST fighters in a division
gomez1012
gomez1012

Back to top Go down

Post  GrantZilla Thu Dec 02, 2010 7:25 pm

There is no Champ at Super-Middle! That's whole point of this tournament to crown a new Super Middle Champ to replace Calzaghe.

Because Kessler won a vacant WBA trinket does not meant he is a champ. Come on Ali, you know better.
GrantZilla
GrantZilla

Back to top Go down

Post  flapanther2001 Thu Dec 02, 2010 11:25 pm

A) The tournament was set up to have each fighter on their home turf twice.
B) Ward's first fight was set up for Oakland.
C) Green was a fill in and did not warrant a home fight so they fought in Oakland.
D) The Bika fight was not part of the tourny so it does not count.
E) Ward has now used up his two home field advantages in the tournament.
F) Wherever Ward fights in the next round will be on his opponents home turf.
flapanther2001
flapanther2001

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next