The Boxing Palace
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Tuned into Money Mayweather and got a hefty dose of the Pretty Boy

4 posters

Go down

Tuned into Money Mayweather and got a hefty dose of the Pretty Boy Empty Tuned into Money Mayweather and got a hefty dose of the Pretty Boy

Post  BoxingGenius Mon May 06, 2013 9:33 am

Floyd looked like he was 25 years old again in the ring saturday night. his footwork was phenomenal and that patented straight right of his literally could not miss. like most people i thought his legs had gone a bit after the cotto fight, but saturday night they looked as good as ever, sliding in and out of the pocket, slipping punches, catching punches, countering everything ghost threw. truly a masterful performance. now i know ghost isnt a world beater, but by todays standards, he will very likely be a HOFer and is certainly no slouch in the ring. to dominate him the way floyd did impressed me very much. he really has not lost much at all in the ring somehow even after the long layoffs in between fights. unfortunately, there really isnt much out there for floyd to fight in terms of competition. i think he will look even better in september if he really does fight again, that will be his first shorter layoff in a long time. his hands are still quick as ever, id love to see him vs canelo but have a feeling we might get danny garcia which would be a massacre. great performance in the main event, guerrero was very game but had no answers for floyd. mares impressed very much on the co-feature, that kid is a very talented fighter with great power and speed. J'leon love i think did enough to win a lot of people cried robbery because of the KD but he controlled a lot of the fight IMO. and santa cruz wow what a performance! he hammered his opponent all night long until he couldnt take anymore. good night of fights!

BoxingGenius

Back to top Go down

Tuned into Money Mayweather and got a hefty dose of the Pretty Boy Empty Re: Tuned into Money Mayweather and got a hefty dose of the Pretty Boy

Post  dmar5143 Mon May 06, 2013 10:19 am

good post.i tend to agree with all you said except even by todays standards and stretching it RG is far from a hofamer.i agree also Floyd hasn't lost either anything or very little.you explained well why.forget the 36 year old old age fiction.wlads 37 hasn't lost a thing.sergio until injuries hit him is a marvel of conditioning.floyd litterly has zero mileage on him.had he fought the guys robinson fought up to the age 36 he litterly would of been koed a good six times.or the guys kid gavilyn fought even 2-3 years after the mileage took its toll.
Floyd as you say did things extremely well in that fight.he neutralized RGS speed.RG for a so called top fighter of today used no angles.had no balls to go for broke because he could not avoid a right hand lead.this is not to discredit Floyd at all.hes head over heals better then whats out there including a now rapidly declining manny pac.yes so called carefull matchmaking but still hes a all time great fighting in a era of mostly crap.ortiz RG berto alexander Bradley garcia brook the whole lots a bunch of fair fighters at best when you have seen 62 plus years of boxing.the only fighter that would of possibly given Floyd a run for his money is pac.the pac of 3 or so years ago.
completion is a fighter who goes into a fight with Floyd a 7-5 8-5 underdog.theres no one at 140 147 154 that fits that bill sorry.sorry also but that's not floyds fault either.
dmar5143
dmar5143

Back to top Go down

Tuned into Money Mayweather and got a hefty dose of the Pretty Boy Empty Re: Tuned into Money Mayweather and got a hefty dose of the Pretty Boy

Post  BoxingGenius Mon May 06, 2013 10:29 am

agreed, except idk about being KOd 6 times. his defense is pretty damn good, i think he would have losses for sure, but not sure if its that many KOs. hes very tough to hit flush. i just keep using gatti as an example of the HOF level. RGs resume is probably on par with gatti right now, and hes still got a lot of fighting years left in him. i think part of the problem for guerrero was floyds strategy against him was perfect. guerrero is a guy who wants to get inside and rough you up. every time he tried to get close floyd countered him and moved away, if he was lucky enough to get inside floyd grabbed on to him and held until the ref told them to break. he had balls enough to keep trying but after a while of eating that straight right to the chin, he seemed to get a little timid in terms of forcing his way inside (i think anyone would) guerrero brought his A game, but like floyd said "this aint berto" ive heard rumors that khan is fighting alexander and victor ortiz is fighting guerrero now. then the winners are supposed to face off to see who gets floyd. ultimately they want khan to win out so they can do floyd khan in england which would be huge. that leaves canelo and danny garcia for september. id prefer canelo, but i think we may get garcia. they probably want to hype up canelo a bit more before making the floyd fight cuz that one could be HUGE. i read that they want floyd garcia and canelo cotto on sept 14 co feature with winners facing. maybe canelo can get his guaranteed fight with floyd for cinco de mayo next year if that happens this time. that coard would be a big one. like you said though, there really isnt anyone with a legitimate shot at beating him at this point aside from canelo at 154 IMO.

BoxingGenius

Back to top Go down

Post  dmar5143 Mon May 06, 2013 1:32 pm

BG ill explain myself.first Floyd like ray leanord was not built for the long haul.they both know that.no knock on them for both are all time greats a top 50 on anyones list no matter if there haters or not.ill give you the kos ok..first Floyd has zero milage.no wars unless you call the cotto fight a war.robby had both .Floyd had carefull matchmaking robby did not.yes Floyd fought the guys we wanted him to but not at a ideal time.robby did.floyds 36 now.even without the wars and milage Floyd would have all he can handle with basilio .a guy who fought at angles bob weave great left hook and countered.fought a few guys whos defence yes was as good as floyds...now the difference robinson had about 150 fights fighting basilio against the whos who of boxing.floyd don't make it alive to 150 fights..robby fought fullmer the first 2 times with 150 or so fights.again fullmer and basilio could care less about floyds right hand leads.carmen wouldn't feel them.at least 3 kos there..lets rewind to about 50 or so fights similar to Floyd.in a 2 year period from age 22to maybe 24 robby fought lamotta 4 times..twice in a 3 week period.outweighed as much as 16 pounds.fighting a all time great middle strong as a bull iron chin who pressured with angles and different stances.floyds shots wont faze jake but jakes strength will phase Floyd..a ko or two there..joey maxim.again about 135 fights under his belt weighing fight night about 6 pounds more then Floyd.forget the heat put it indoors.floyd don't go 15...artie Levine.who.levine was one of the hardest punching middles ever.robby had a good 70 fights by then.will Floyd ever under any era or circumstance make it to 70 fights.nope.if mosley can rock floyd to his toes zab cause a flash knockdown and hatton yes hatton sent him realing to the ropes Levine hits him and he will its lights out.if you ask jake graziano robby who was the hardest puncher in there time all say Levine.. lets forget about fighting graziano with 130 plus fights or a animal like fritzie zivic who wont apologize like Ortiz for his headbutts elbows low punches mauling etc etc.even if you win the fight it puts mileage on you.over age 36 robby fought fullmer 2 more times and giardello.now 170-175 fights or more under his belt..thats another 3 kos.
Floyd would of been a top fighter in any era.maybe even a champ briefly.could he fight there schudle there pace there completion all at there best and made it to fight 70.the anser is hell no.
an era where top welters fought top middles often.its not going to be seen again.im leaving out olson 4 times gavilyn twice turpin twice castelanni etc etc.robby and the guys that stood on top for several years were beyond animals.to this day I cant fully understand how they did it and remained so great war after war.
maybe its called supreme balls and a touch of fearless insanity.no carefull well timed matchmaking either.
dmar5143
dmar5143

Back to top Go down

Post  dbudge Mon May 06, 2013 1:43 pm

Not to mention floyds would be opponents during the Robinson/basilio era would have been wearing a lot less horsehair on their fists than the mandatory 10oz cushions the Nevada commission makes any fighter weighing over 140lbs wear today. I agree that there is nobody to touch floyd from 140 to 154lb right now. Talent wise at 160 there is nobody to touch him either, the only way I see floyd losing anytime soon in his era of fighters is due to him being at a huge physical disadvatage. I don't blame floyd for his lack of competitive opposition, but this 6 fight deal he has with showtime could really bolster his legacy even more if he chooses to challenge himself against the best possible opponents available. For me the next best test for him is Alvarez at 154lb for the ring belt in that division and then see how the landscape lies after fight

dbudge

Back to top Go down

Post  BoxingGenius Mon May 06, 2013 3:13 pm

oh i completely agree that floyd is no SRR. i just maintain that he would have done well in any era against just about anyone at 130-147. to be honest i have no idea how he would have done fighitng once or twice a month for his whole career, no one really does. i assume he would have lost but at the same time, the guys hed be fightiing would also be fighting every 3-4 weeks and would not be at their best either, it goes both ways. if floyd fights out his remaining 5 against top competion (of this generation) id say he could arguably slide into top 25 p4p all time. there just arent that many guys who have dominated as many weight classes as he has. yes he fights lean competition compared to other eras, but at the same time, he does as good as possible against them so he cant be knocked for that. fighters like SRR were of a different breed and fought in a completely different time so its pretty much impossible to compare. that being said it is safe to say that floyd would not have retired undefeated in most other eras, but i think he would have done pretty damn well.

BoxingGenius

Back to top Go down

Post  BoxingGenius Mon May 06, 2013 3:16 pm

floyds next 5 fights id like to see as follows

1. Canelo
2. Martinez
3. Ortiz-guerrero khan-alexander winner vs winner = floyd gets the best of those 4
4. pac if he can muster some wins maybe rematch vs bradley winner gets floyd (i know its TR but this is my hypothetical!)
5. matthysse-peterson winner fights danny garcia and maybe a few others... winner gets floyd

if he runs through that still undefeated, he would go down as hands down the best of this era IMO... this could be wishful thinking, but who knows

BoxingGenius

Back to top Go down

Post  BoxingGenius Mon May 06, 2013 3:21 pm

ill be honest, im a bit biased toward the modern era. im younger at 28 years old and while ive seen older fights and fighters on tape, im more knowledgable of fighters in my generation. floyds the best ive seen live, so its hard for me to imagine him being dominated in any matchup because ive never even seen him in a close fight for that matter

BoxingGenius

Back to top Go down

Post  powerpuncher Tue May 07, 2013 2:50 am

floyd is definitely an ATG. there is no doubting that. i believe that he has fought better competition than most give him credit for. we forget that he wasnt brought along slowly like most fighters today. he fought legit fighters at his weight class when he was young. i think that more recently there have been people that we would have liked him to fight but didnt. that is how most great fighters are today. there were people i wanted to see pac fight that he didnt fight at the right time. roy jones was the same way. even hopkins didnt really move up in weight to really challenge himself. i just think that everybody's resume now can be picked apart because of who they didnt fight and who they didnt fight when we wanted the fight. its how boxing politics are these days.

and about mayweather not being a fighter for the long haul, i do agree, but at the same time, i guess we will never know. we need to also remember that he started at 130, not 147. so yes, you can compare him to great welterweights, but he moved up in weight. and unlike most people now, he is a legit welter. he doesnt really have to cut to make the weight. and he has even fought at 154. i agree that he wouldnt have beaten everybody in the golden era of welterweights, but i believe, as dmar said, that he would have become champion. im not sure how long he would have held the title but i have no doubt that his skills and work ethic would have gotten him a title in any era.
powerpuncher
powerpuncher

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down