The Boxing Palace
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Broner vs. Rees

+6
captainanddew
kbyte
hardcorebee24
powerpuncher
dmar5143
Shaun
10 posters

Go down

Broner vs. Rees Empty Broner vs. Rees

Post  Shaun Sun Feb 17, 2013 1:21 am

Major respect to Rees. He literally did everything he was physically capable of doing.

However, what a shameful mismatch of a fight. HBO should be ashamed that this fight was a headliner. 80-1 odds as the main event... what a joke.
Shaun
Shaun

Back to top Go down

Broner vs. Rees Empty Re: Broner vs. Rees

Post  dmar5143 Sun Feb 17, 2013 1:25 am

Shaun wrote:Major respect to Rees. He literally did everything he was physically capable of doing.

However, what a shameful mismatch of a fight. HBO should be ashamed that this fight was a headliner. 80-1 odds as the main event... what a joke.
..i agree on all counts.80-1 is a bit to much.lol no bets on the guy at all.a disgrace for a main event and the big money broner got.he is several levels above the guy..a level above the rest of the division also.
dmar5143
dmar5143

Back to top Go down

Post  powerpuncher Sun Feb 17, 2013 3:08 am

rees was all game but it was just a mismatch. broner is really good though. i think that he needs to move up to 140 at least. he is just so big. he has a few very good potential fights there too (matthysse, garcia, rios).
powerpuncher
powerpuncher

Back to top Go down

Post  hardcorebee24 Sun Feb 17, 2013 3:16 am

The fight was a joke and Broner treated it as such. He should have put that guy away badly in the first. Instead he didn't get serious until he shrugged and mugged his way to losing the first two rounds (not that he was in any trouble throughout those rounds). He should have angrily KO'd this guy in the first and been insulted that HBO, Haymon and GBP would put such a joke opponent in front of him and then I would have like to see him demand a fight with everyone and anyone at '35. I'm not privy to the inner workings of promotion and fight management but I wish all of these guys would be honest after a fight in stating who they want to fight next. Broner (who I think is an exceptional talent) stated anyone can get it, when Kellerman asked him who is next he diverts to the "whoever they put in front of me" script, well if that whoever is another Gavin Rees I wont be watching.
hardcorebee24
hardcorebee24

Back to top Go down

Post  kbyte Sun Feb 17, 2013 6:22 am

Broner-Burns would be a good fight. Burns's jab would find Broner all night and make it very interesting.
kbyte
kbyte

Back to top Go down

Post  dmar5143 Sun Feb 17, 2013 12:01 pm

kbyte wrote:Broner-Burns would be a good fight. Burns's jab would find Broner all night and make it very interesting.
..burns needs more then a jab.yes it may find broner for a few rounds then broner destroys him.
dmar5143
dmar5143

Back to top Go down

Post  kbyte Sun Feb 17, 2013 12:13 pm

dmar5143 wrote:
kbyte wrote:Broner-Burns would be a good fight. Burns's jab would find Broner all night and make it very interesting.
..burns needs more then a jab.yes it may find broner for a few rounds then broner destroys him.

Perhaps. I think its at least enough to give us a decent fight. More than anything I think Burns's chin would let him down. If Rocky Martinez is dropping him then I guess Broner is going to do the same.
kbyte
kbyte

Back to top Go down

Post  captainanddew Sun Feb 17, 2013 12:23 pm

dmar5143 wrote:

1-Burns is a solid looking guy physically
2-Burns has more skill than Rees
3-Burns will throw alot of punches

I think Burns is relatively even through 5-6 rounds and then Broner's natural gits/power will be too much late. But Burns has gotten better in his last 3-4 fights.

Burns has to get by Vazquez anyhow.

As for 140:
1-Broner won't face Rios because of the Top Rank/GB feud
2-Broner probably won't face Garcia (at least for a while) as Haymon fighters don't normally face each other
3-Broner won't face LM (at least until LM is in some serious wars that take something out of him) for a while.

captainanddew
captainanddew

Back to top Go down

Post  dmar5143 Sun Feb 17, 2013 1:08 pm

there is also kahn alvardo hell even kendall holt at 140 petterson etc etc.even bradley since broner lol weighed fight nite 150 pounds for a 135 pound fight.toss in gamboa also.there are several fights broner can be in thats a good step up but politics will prevail for the most part.
dmar5143
dmar5143

Back to top Go down

Post  captainanddew Sun Feb 17, 2013 3:35 pm

dmar5143 wrote:there is also kahn alvardo hell even kendall holt at 140 petterson etc etc.even bradley since broner lol weighed fight nite 150 pounds for a 135 pound fight.toss in gamboa also.there are several fights broner can be in thats a good step up but politics will prevail for the most part.

Kahn, Holt, and Peterson are most likely for his first relatively big fight at 140. He probably has a safer opponent in his first one at 140.

captainanddew
captainanddew

Back to top Go down

Post  UBeeg9cats Sun Feb 17, 2013 5:15 pm

I don't think Broner goes anywhere near Matthysse either. I am sad for Lucas.

UBeeg9cats

Back to top Go down

Post  captainanddew Sun Feb 17, 2013 6:26 pm

UBeeg9cats wrote:I don't think Broner goes anywhere near Matthysse either. I am sad for Lucas.

Hard to see Garcia, Kahn, or Broner going near LM.

I am not saying they couldn't beat LM, I just don't see them fighting him. He is high risk/low reward.
captainanddew
captainanddew

Back to top Go down

Post  dmar5143 Sun Feb 17, 2013 7:06 pm

its golden boys call on who fights who more or less.broner is still at 135 for one more fight maybe 2 then 140.i dont see him avoiding anyone.nor garcia for that matter..id rate broner a slight favorite over LM when or if they do fight.i dont view it as a low reward for beating what many think is the top 140 pounder in the world.high risk any of thoses fights are for both fighters that fight.i just dont see beating a lm or a broner etc etc a low reward type of thing.a win establishes you as the best in that division in many boxing folks eyes.
dmar5143
dmar5143

Back to top Go down

Post  captainanddew Sun Feb 17, 2013 8:47 pm

dmar5143 wrote:its golden boys call on who fights who more or less.broner is still at 135 for one more fight maybe 2 then 140.i dont see him avoiding anyone.nor garcia for that matter..id rate broner a slight favorite over LM when or if they do fight.i dont view it as a low reward for beating what many think is the top 140 pounder in the world.high risk any of thoses fights are for both fighters that fight.i just dont see beating a lm or a broner etc etc a low reward type of thing.a win establishes you as the best in that division in many boxing folks eyes.

Put yourself in Golden Boy' shoes. What is LM's upside? He's a guy diehard fans and boxing writers like because he fights hard, punches hard, is in shape, always professional, etc... But he doesn't create huge events(people don't buy that many tickets to see him and he doesn't have an ethnicity that really draws viewers at home) and his ceiling as a cash cow isn't that high. He is what he is. Put him on HBO/Showtime 3 times a year for the next 2-3 years and get what money out of him that you can.

Meanwhile, Broner and Garcia have more potential as cash cows. Broner can pack them in when fighting in Cincy. Broner had 4800(?) last night at Atlantic City (which while not much dwarfs what LM can draw in the US-and no GB isn't going to Argentina for fights). Garcia could be part of cards on the east coast and draw well.

As for Garcia facing Broner; DOUBTFUL. Both managed by Haymon.

IT NOT NECESSARILY GOLDEN BOY'S CALL FOR WHO BRONER FIGHTS.
AL HAYMON calls the shots!!!!

Keith Thurman-the prospect. Why has he been on HBO? Because he's a pretty good prospect and can punch. But why has he had at least 1 rather soft fight on HBO? AL HAYMON.

Haymon has delivered Floyd and because of that he has had all kinds of pull at HBO. Bika was on last night. Guess what? HAYMON FIGHTER. Vicente Escobedo vs Edner Cherry was a more appealing matchup in terms of styles, but the Haymon fighter who produces so so fights (Bika) ended up on there.

The rumor going around is that Floyd Mayweather Jr. has already made a final decision for his May fight in terms of opponent. The holdup is Floyd has been negotiating with both Showtime and HBO to do the PPV. At the same time, Haymon has been trying to negotiate a long-term deal with HBO. Haymon wants to get Broner signed while he still has leverage (Mayweather) to hold over HBO.
captainanddew
captainanddew

Back to top Go down

Post  dmar5143 Mon Feb 18, 2013 12:48 am

captain i have to disagree on lm..cash cow nonsence type of thing.only boxing writers and boxing diehard fans want to see him fight.for the most part its the diehard type of fan that goes to the fights live.theres no huge phillipino population in the usa either.pac became a star for the same reasons you gave lm for not going to be a star.at times some of us outsmart themselves with this type of thinking.if lm doesnt have the appeal to draw folks viewers from home then why the hell is he on hbo for 3 more fights like you suggested.berto doesnt draw in person nor does he have a huge ethnic following yet hbo claims the last 3 or 4 fights berto ratings are very high when he fights.hbo still wants results for its bucks thats why the heavy division isnt there showcase.
dont underestimate the general publics acceptence for a action fighter that gives ko results.al haymon and golden boy are in bed with each other.haymon is a great negotiater indeed but your giving haymon to much credit by overanalizing how he thinks.
if a fight makes good financial reasons haymon will make a fight between 2 of his fighters.
if its the intent to protect so called cash cows or future cash cows if they can predict that by not matching them up with a top fighter then let you and everyone else stop calling for certain fights since thoses certain fights surely violates your thoughts of protection.
kahn is still a dangerous fighter.golden boy is eyeing a garcia return so is kahn.why would golden boy jeperdise kahn who they feel could be a star or garcia for that matter.theres no evidence thus far to suggest garcia will be a cash cow.
are we now suggesting carefull matchmaking or cherry picking haymon and golden boy should do to prevent there boys from getting beat.
we have already seen at least 3 fights that many on here with that same school of thought said would never happen.martinez -chavez alvarez -trout donaire -rigo so now we look for reasons in reality are excuses why thoses fights were made to rationalize the school of thought which is protect the cash cow.
if lm has no upside outside of being a second banana on a hbo card then his management should take him to england germany and elsewhere to make more cash.
dont think that there is little potential in the upside of guys like lm or glovkin also.anything can happen.i dont for see a tyson oscar floyd pac leanord type of upside for any of them.haymon or no haymon.i can see a solid excellent earning potential for all of them even a ppv type of thing.but thoses 5 plus hollifield etc etc have proven to be cash cows.some of them indeed took risks big ones.
dmar5143
dmar5143

Back to top Go down

Post  powerpuncher Mon Feb 18, 2013 3:43 am

i really dont see broner being too protected anymore. he is way too talented to keep from being put into a bigger fight. they know that they can make money with broner so they are going to try to make him a superstar soon enough. superstardom only comes after beating a few legit fighters which hasnt really happened yet. if broner fights burns and wins, then goes up to 140 and beats a fighter like holt, then beat a LM or garcia, cash will start flowing in. broner is too special to protect for too long.
powerpuncher
powerpuncher

Back to top Go down

Post  BoxingGenius Tue Feb 19, 2013 1:17 pm

i dont see anyone at 135 or 140 giving broner any type of trouble. IMO he would absolutely tatoo rios at 140. JMM is the only one id give a shot at 140 at this point. if devon beat matthysse (even if controversially) broner crushes him. Broner is much better than devon IMO. kids got power in both hands good D and lightning hands. not to mention he seems to have great ring generalship for only 23 years old, he never looks uncomfortable in there, aside from the ponce de leon fight but hes awkward for anyone. I think broner has improved significantly since moving to 135 and dont see him losing for a long time.

BoxingGenius

Back to top Go down

Post  captainanddew Tue Feb 19, 2013 8:05 pm

BoxingGenius wrote:i dont see anyone at 135 or 140 giving broner any type of trouble. IMO he would absolutely tatoo rios at 140. JMM is the only one id give a shot at 140 at this point. if devon beat matthysse (even if controversially) broner crushes him. Broner is much better than devon IMO. kids got power in both hands good D and lightning hands. not to mention he seems to have great ring generalship for only 23 years old, he never looks uncomfortable in there, aside from the ponce de leon fight but hes awkward for anyone. I think broner has improved significantly since moving to 135 and dont see him losing for a long time.

LM beats him.
captainanddew
captainanddew

Back to top Go down

Post  Diego408 Tue Feb 19, 2013 8:07 pm

captainanddew wrote:
BoxingGenius wrote:i dont see anyone at 135 or 140 giving broner any type of trouble. IMO he would absolutely tatoo rios at 140. JMM is the only one id give a shot at 140 at this point. if devon beat matthysse (even if controversially) broner crushes him. Broner is much better than devon IMO. kids got power in both hands good D and lightning hands. not to mention he seems to have great ring generalship for only 23 years old, he never looks uncomfortable in there, aside from the ponce de leon fight but hes awkward for anyone. I think broner has improved significantly since moving to 135 and dont see him losing for a long time.

LM beats him.
my feelings exactly. I think Lucas will knock him out. Rios vs Broner would also be a great fight, but I lean towards Rios by a bit. I think he beats everyone else at jr Welter tho.
Diego408
Diego408

Back to top Go down

Post  UBeeg9cats Tue Feb 19, 2013 8:19 pm

Diego408 wrote:
captainanddew wrote:

LM beats him.
my feelings exactly. I think Lucas will knock him out. Rios vs Broner would also be a great fight, but I lean towards Rios by a bit. I think he beats everyone else at jr Welter tho.

Broner better take LM more seriously than he did Rees. LM needs one round of success to get Broner in trouble. I really like the fight but don't have a favorite right now.

UBeeg9cats

Back to top Go down

Post  flapanther2001 Wed Feb 20, 2013 9:54 pm

I think it's a lot easier for Broner to look comfortable in the ring because he's fighting lesser opponents.
flapanther2001
flapanther2001

Back to top Go down

Post  powerpuncher Thu Feb 21, 2013 3:30 am

i cant really pick who i think that broner would beat at 140 until i see him fight at that weight. he should fight the winner of burns-vazquez first and then fight a solid opponent at 140 (like the winner of holt-peterson) then he can fight a legit 140 guy like garcia, rios, or LM.
powerpuncher
powerpuncher

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down