The Boxing Palace
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Soliman Next Up For Geale

+4
flapanther2001
captainanddew
dmar5143
freakzilla
8 posters

Go down

Soliman Next Up For Geale Empty Soliman Next Up For Geale

Post  freakzilla Tue Sep 04, 2012 12:25 pm

http://www.secondsout.com/news/main-news/soliman-next-up-for-geale

By Clive Bernath; According to Daniel Geale’s manager Garri Francisco the next opponent up for the IBF and WBA middleweight champion will be fellow Australian Sam Soliman.

Speaking to theaustrailan.com on Monday Francisco confirmed: "We’re not sure if we’ll put the fight on against Soliman in Sydney, where Daniel now resides, or we could go back to Tasmania, where he grew up. Then we can look at taking on the likes of a Gennady Golovkin,”

It makes perfect sense for Geale to face Soliman next after such a tough battle against German Felix Sturm last weekend to claim the WBA Super 160lbs title via 12 round split decision. To make a defence against the 38 year-old Soliman on home soil before facing the very dangerous and unbeaten WBA regular champion Gennady Golovkin, 24-0-(20), seems logical.

Golovkin looked highly impressive in destroying European champion Grzegorz Proksa just a few hours after Geale defeated Sturm. Prior to both Saturday night fights the WBA had ordered the winners of both fights should meet in a unification battle next. So how the WBA will react to Geale facing Soliman is anyone’s guess.

Talking about Geale’s win over Sturm on German soil last weekend Francisco told theaustralian.com: "Daniel’s win will be seen in years to come every bit as big as winning the America’s Cup.

"What he did in coming over here and winning has never been done before in the sport of boxing. It is a real game-changer and gives boxing a massive boost in Australia."

Maybe Francisco’s analogy about Geale’s victory over Sturm is a little over the top but there is no doubt Geale’s victory will ignite the enthusiasm of Australian boxing fans and a clash with the unbeaten Golovkin in early 2013 is a fight i’m certainly looking forward to.
freakzilla
freakzilla

Back to top Go down

Soliman Next Up For Geale Empty Re: Soliman Next Up For Geale

Post  dmar5143 Tue Sep 04, 2012 3:30 pm

the wba probably will do there thing which is to strip belt holders of there phoney title if they dont do a manditory next.thats the mo of most commisions.in this case a 3 month break and then fight for a manditory...geale isnt shying away from golovkin im sure he will fight him next after this fight.
dmar5143
dmar5143

Back to top Go down

Post  captainanddew Tue Sep 04, 2012 5:06 pm

After having to go to germany twice to get trinkets, I don't have a problem with him taking the home fight against Soliman. That fight should earn both fighters a very good payday.

Geale will have options after that and hopefully he will choose a top fighter.
captainanddew
captainanddew

Back to top Go down

Post  flapanther2001 Tue Sep 04, 2012 5:36 pm

captainanddew wrote:After having to go to germany twice to get trinkets, I don't have a problem with him taking the home fight against Soliman. That fight should earn both fighters a very good payday.

Geale will have options after that and hopefully he will choose a top fighter.
If he wins. If not, we have another third tier fighter hold those useless straps...
flapanther2001
flapanther2001

Back to top Go down

Post  UBeeg9cats Tue Sep 04, 2012 8:46 pm

You don't fight Sturm in Germany when you have a trinket unless you plan on fighting the best. Geale could've taken his trinket and played in the Australian sandbox but he didn't. I agree that if he really wants to, he deserves a defense against Soliman. Soliman isn't what he once was but he is a good guy that operated at the fringe contender level for years. I don't mind him getting a payday. Now we will have Geale, Golovkin, Sergio-Jr. winner, Pirog, and Quillin-N'jikam winner at the top of the division. If N'jikam wins, he might run away but I have faith in the rest to continue to fight each other. I also wonder if Jr. can stay in the division long enough to resolve this which only matters if he can upset Sergio.

UBeeg9cats

Back to top Go down

Post  Diego408 Tue Sep 04, 2012 9:45 pm

I haven't heard of Sam Soliman in a very long time. He's fought in many weight classes (as far as cruiser) and has been in the sport a Long time. This is merely a "take it easy" fight. I'm hoping he tries to Unify again with Golovkin and Martinez next year. PS Chavez is gonna get knocked out in two weeks.
Diego408
Diego408

Back to top Go down

Post  freakzilla Tue Sep 04, 2012 9:46 pm

Geale and Soliman are the 3rd and 4th biggest Australian names in boxing here. The fight will be big but it wont be anywhere near as big as Mundine vs Green was.
freakzilla
freakzilla

Back to top Go down

Post  flapanther2001 Tue Sep 04, 2012 11:29 pm

Another thought is, if Geale decides he wants to hang on to the belt for a while, there could be a lot more Soliman's in his future.
flapanther2001
flapanther2001

Back to top Go down

Post  powerpuncher Wed Sep 05, 2012 2:31 am

i dont mind this fight as long as he fights golovkin or at least another solid opponent next. take that belt from sturm and actually defend it!
powerpuncher
powerpuncher

Back to top Go down

Post  Diego408 Wed Sep 05, 2012 1:20 pm

Geale probably does wants to hold on to his belts so he might not fight some dangerous opponents for a few fights. I'm pretty sure if Martinez wins he'll fight Golovkin next in a fight that can go either way. If Chavez were to somehow beat Martinez, you won't see him in a dangerous fight in a while. He'd probably go for Geale. Geale is good, but he's no Martinez or Golovkin.
Diego408
Diego408

Back to top Go down

Post  UBeeg9cats Wed Sep 05, 2012 11:57 pm

Diego408 wrote:Geale probably does wants to hold on to his belts so he might not fight some dangerous opponents for a few fights. I'm pretty sure if Martinez wins he'll fight Golovkin next in a fight that can go either way. If Chavez were to somehow beat Martinez, you won't see him in a dangerous fight in a while. He'd probably go for Geale. Geale is good, but he's no Martinez or Golovkin.

I agree with all this but add that there is a solid chance Jr. would move up and fight 2nd or even 3rd tier guys if he pulls off the upset. He will go nowhere close to Ward, Dawson, Froch, Kessler, or even Bute or Dirrell. He would probably target Abraham or Pavlik.

UBeeg9cats

Back to top Go down

Post  powerpuncher Thu Sep 06, 2012 2:27 am

UBeeg9cats wrote:
Diego408 wrote:Geale probably does wants to hold on to his belts so he might not fight some dangerous opponents for a few fights. I'm pretty sure if Martinez wins he'll fight Golovkin next in a fight that can go either way. If Chavez were to somehow beat Martinez, you won't see him in a dangerous fight in a while. He'd probably go for Geale. Geale is good, but he's no Martinez or Golovkin.

I agree with all this but add that there is a solid chance Jr. would move up and fight 2nd or even 3rd tier guys if he pulls off the upset. He will go nowhere close to Ward, Dawson, Froch, Kessler, or even Bute or Dirrell. He would probably target Abraham or Pavlik.
+1

this fight is actually a win-win for chavez. if he wins, he gets a ton of respect for beating a top p4p guy. if he loses, he can always blame it on his weight and then move up in weight and fight easy fights for a for more years while still making good money.
powerpuncher
powerpuncher

Back to top Go down

Post  shakefree Thu Sep 06, 2012 6:20 am

soliman just won a fight to become geale's mandatory for the ibf belt.i'm guessing as he's been ibf holder longer this mandatory should take precedence over the golovkin defense.that is of course,if common sense & reasoning are involved.
geale was on radio here on tuesday & he said,he's also flying over & attending martinez v chavez,to try & get attention in the usa.

shakefree

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down