The Boxing Palace
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Boxing History:Fighters of the past

5 posters

Page 2 of 2 Previous  1, 2

Go down

Boxing History:Fighters of the past - Page 2 Empty Re: Boxing History:Fighters of the past

Post  powerpuncher Sun Oct 21, 2012 2:37 am

good post. i am one of the many that think of olsen for his losses instead of his wins. it seems like he was just in that middleweight division with a few ATGs so he gets pushed to the side.
powerpuncher
powerpuncher

Back to top Go down

Boxing History:Fighters of the past - Page 2 Empty Re: Boxing History:Fighters of the past

Post  Soonermark890 Sat Oct 27, 2012 12:29 pm

Ok Dmar this is another I have never heard of. What is his best fight? I have time tomorrow to check one out.
Soonermark890
Soonermark890
Admin

https://theboxingpalace.forumotion.com

Back to top Go down

Post  dmar5143 Sat Oct 27, 2012 2:17 pm

sooner olsens best fight i cant anser but check out the randy turpin fight in 1953 i think the night he won the title.
dmar5143
dmar5143

Back to top Go down

Post  dmar5143 Sun Nov 04, 2012 8:55 am

GIL TURNER..it was maybe a 15 year stretch of boxings greatest welterweight era.top guys fought each other and often.many times less then 30 days from one fight to another.gil turner was a typical welter of that era and a good one.dont let his 56-19-2 record fool you.there were no soft easy touches once gil arrived as a fringe contender to a top ten contender for years.he could box he could punch and had excellent hand speed.gil like the guys in that era was well schooled in the finer art of feights disance tech and sound extremly sound fundimentals of the game..he had it all.
gil like so many in that era fought maybe a good 3 years past his best losing 12 out of his last 20 fights.past his best though did not mean he was a washed up jouneyman.
to beat gil even at that stage you had to be dam good.fullmer beat him twice basilio iscac logart twice saxton bahama vince martinez ralph dupas and del flanagan were his defeats.all at the top of there game and all were fantastic fighters.gil fought middles losing to giardello and rocky castilana.
he also was the first to beat gene fullmer decking gene and the first to beat 2 time welter champ johnny saxton.he beat flanagan twice beau jack ike williams langlois fusari boby dykes vigil akins.he avoided no one.today we got phoney weight inns but guys like rios alexander maidana kahn etc etc are all real welters.turner would mope the floor with them all.trust me on that.
he fought kid gaviln for i think the welter title and lost in one of the finest fights you will ever see.it was a classic matchup of skills hand speed intelligent footwork combos etc etc.great fundimentals executed by 2 of the best at that time.
turner again is a typical fighter of that golden era.not great just dam good.imaggine a division 20 deep of gil turners.thats how it was back then.

dmar5143
dmar5143

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 2 of 2 Previous  1, 2