The Boxing Palace
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Winky Wright retires

+4
captainanddew
hardcorebee24
flapanther2001
kbyte
8 posters

Go down

Winky Wright retires Empty Winky Wright retires

Post  Guest Sun Jun 03, 2012 2:23 pm

Ronald “Winky” Wright has announced that his loss Saturday night to Peter Quillin will be the last time that the 40-year-old former junior-middleweight champion will be seen in the ring.

"I'm going to call this quits," said Wright on Sunday morning to the Tampa Bay Times. "If I can't be champ, I'm done. I'm not going to do this just to be fighting.

"I couldn't do what I wanted to. I could see what I wanted to do, but I couldn't pull the trigger."

Wright’s fight with Quillin was his first fight in more than three years, and only his third fight in five years — a decision loss in July 2007 to then-light heavyweight champion Bernard Hopkins, a decision loss in April 2009 to Paul Williams in a middleweight bout, and then Saturday’s clear unanimous decision defeat against Quillin, a middleweight prospect who came into the bout with a record of 26-0 (20 knockouts).

Wright last won a bout in December 2006, when he outpointed Ike Quartey, his only win in six years; prior to that, he fought to a disputed draw with then-middleweight champion Jermain Taylor in June 2006.

Wright turned pro in 1990, first fought for a world title in 1994 but lost a decision to fellow 154-pounder Julio Cesar Vasquez. He captured a belt in 1996 with a win over Bronco McKart, defended it three times and lost it in 1998 to Harry Simon, then lost another title shot in 1999 against Fernando Vargas.

Wright beat Robert Frazier in 2001 for another belt, however, defended it four times and then met Shane Mosley in a unification bout in 2004 that Wright won, earning him recognition as the division’s true champion. Wright won the rematch with Mosley later that year, too, and then went on to dominate Felix Trinidad to add another signature victory to his resume.

He fought in eight different countries, including four different continents, and was a traveler in his own country, too, getting in the ring in 10 different states. Wright retires with a record of 51-6-1 with 25 knockouts.

http://www.boxingscene.com/winky-wright-plans-retire-from-boxing-loss--53590

Back to top Go down

Winky Wright retires Empty Re: Winky Wright retires

Post  kbyte Sun Jun 03, 2012 4:02 pm

Good decision.
kbyte
kbyte

Back to top Go down

Post  flapanther2001 Sun Jun 03, 2012 5:39 pm

I'm having a huge FB argument on whether or not Winky gets in the HOF.....thoughts?
flapanther2001
flapanther2001

Back to top Go down

Post  hardcorebee24 Sun Jun 03, 2012 5:45 pm

flapanther2001 wrote:I'm having a huge FB argument on whether or not Winky gets in the HOF.....thoughts?

No.
hardcorebee24
hardcorebee24

Back to top Go down

Post  captainanddew Sun Jun 03, 2012 6:03 pm

gets in or deserves to get in. 2 separate questions.

Overall question. Of fighters who the majority of their careers was the 1990s or 2000s, how many deserve to get in? Ballpark number
captainanddew
captainanddew

Back to top Go down

Post  Shaun Sun Jun 03, 2012 6:47 pm

Winky Wright deserves to be in the hall of fame.

I believe I heard a commentator last night say 12 of his last 17 fights were against world champions. I respect that.

He has an incredibly competitive resume with some big wins on it.

His big wins are: Ike Quartey, Felix Trinidad, Shane Mosley, and Shane Mosley (again). He should have been given the nod vs. Fernando Vargas and also should have been given the nod in his draw vs. Jermaine Taylor.

Let's not forget that he was the most ducked fighter for several years due to fighters inability to penetrate his defense.

His defeats vs. Quillin and Williams were simply age. His defeat vs. Hopkins, while legit, was an incredibly ugly/pathetic fight by Hopkins.

If fighters like Mosley and Trinidad make the HOF, than Wright should also be in it. It all comes HOF standard.

Is Wright an ATG? No.
Shaun
Shaun

Back to top Go down

Post  flapanther2001 Sun Jun 03, 2012 7:40 pm

Shaun wrote:Winky Wright deserves to be in the hall of fame.

I believe I heard a commentator last night say 12 of his last 17 fights were against world champions. I respect that.

He has an incredibly competitive resume with some big wins on it.

His big wins are: Ike Quartey, Felix Trinidad, Shane Mosley, and Shane Mosley (again). He should have been given the nod vs. Fernando Vargas and also should have been given the nod in his draw vs. Jermaine Taylor.

Let's not forget that he was the most ducked fighter for several years due to fighters inability to penetrate his defense.

His defeats vs. Quillin and Williams were simply age. His defeat vs. Hopkins, while legit, was an incredibly ugly/pathetic fight by Hopkins.

If fighters like Mosley and Trinidad make the HOF, than Wright should also be in it. It all comes HOF standard.

Is Wright an ATG? No.
Well, is you consider Keith Mullings, Bronco McKart, Jason Papillon, Juan Carlos Candelo & Angel Hernandez world Champions, then yeah, it's true. Seriously, Mosley was his best win(s) and he was up a weight class. Quartey, a welter also, Trinidad, a Welterweight.
flapanther2001
flapanther2001

Back to top Go down

Post  dbudge Sun Jun 03, 2012 8:33 pm

flapanther2001 wrote:I'm having a huge FB argument on whether or not Winky gets in the HOF.....thoughts?

I'm so glad somebody bought this up. If wonky makes it into the hof them it basically says as a boxing accomplishment all u need to do is defeat a former world title holder to become a hof candidate. His best win came against Trinidad who was past his best and announced his retirement 2 days later. If wonky makes the hof then so do a lot of other average fighters

dbudge

Back to top Go down

Post  dmar5143 Mon Jun 04, 2012 9:12 am

there are different levels or tiers i feel of hofamers and differnt levels of greatness winky isnt in any of thoses levels.will he make it in.sure.ignorant sports writters is the reason.does he deserve to be in.hell no.he fought and beat so many world champs..nonsence.world chump is a word used more losely then hofamer.everybodys a world champ today.multi world champ.we got about 100 champs now.
most hall of famers the legit ones had a magic about them.winky has none.dbudge in another post elsewhere made a accurate case why he dont belong.
future hofamer first ballot hofamer a sure lock hofamer are words used often by todays boxing writers.the fighters they mention make me want to throw up.
the hall indeed has members that dont belong.in the next decade or so we will see a major delution a watered down version of the hall with guys like winky and fighters of less note.
the delution will be almost as bad as the name or title world champion.
dmar5143
dmar5143

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Mon Jun 04, 2012 10:45 am

Winky will get in he was an undisputed champion who's beaten other HOF'ers.

Back to top Go down

Post  dmar5143 Mon Jun 04, 2012 11:23 am

Ali wrote:Winky will get in he was an undisputed champion who's beaten other HOF'ers.
..big deal.he beat fighters that mostly are not in the hall but one or two will be in because there part of the watering down process..i had a friend of mine who also was undisputed champ.beat several top contenders including 3 real hall of famers and lost to a few real hall of famers like kid chocolate tony canzanerri at the end of my friends career.he was ranked the top bantham 4 years in a row in the golden age of that division yet hes not in the hall.he also had activity something that winkys alergic to..when i look back at excellent fighters not in the hall but yet hear stuff like so and so is a real lock for the hall i laugh..of course to know the differnce you have to know and understand boxing history.actualy understand when watching a fight what your realy seeing.being a objective student of the game helps also.knowing what a complete fighter is and why.viewing top fighters for years and why they lasted over time and fully knowing the capabiltes of the fighters they fought helps also.you aquire knowledge and understanding over time not by watching sub par fighters fight over the past 3 or 4 years and to think some of thoses fighters merit the hall because they won a fight or two over questionable talent thats called future hall of famers ..i can think of many a fighter in there prime at there best before they fought several fights and some years after that prime that would hands down beat a winky and a few of theses questionable future hofamers.a journeyman but a top ten condender on and off for a few years named tiger jones would be a legit 154 lineal champ today.hands down.considering who he fought how close the fights were and tranform him today he would be considered a lock for the hall..joey giambra would be a real middleweight champ today.he will be called a first ballot lock.thoses are just 2 low low level examples.
now we fast foward to today and over a career a guy beats a few good fighters hes a hall man.beating a few good fighters was routine in other times and it was done yearly not over a career.theres a differnce of course..40 years ago if anyone said giambra or jones was a hall canidate everyone would laugh at you.put thoses guys in this era they would be a lock according to folks today and nobody would laugh at you.it not only helps to be a student of boxings history i feel its a must.winky will make it in but hes not a hall of famer.experience tells me that.sorry.
dmar5143
dmar5143

Back to top Go down

Post  flapanther2001 Mon Jun 04, 2012 2:22 pm

Seriously, his entire career can be encapsulated from 2004 to 2006. Anybody he fought before that was not considered spectacular, anybody after that, he lost. Anybody of substance, JC Vasquez, Vargas, PW, B-Hop, he lost to. I don't see him in the hall. Hell, he kept Harry Simon's undefeated streak alive.
flapanther2001
flapanther2001

Back to top Go down

Post  boxinglawyer Mon Jun 04, 2012 7:58 pm

Winky will get in. Winky does NOT deserve to be in. He was unspectacular in every way and simply matched well against undesized and ring-worn guys. Everyone wants to say he deserved the nod vs Vargas (i dont think he did) and forget he really could have lost a fight here and there ATG fighters in thier prime dont lose or have life and death struggles with Bronco McKart level fighters.

boxinglawyer

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down