The Boxing Palace
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

UFC President Dana White Wants Daniel Cormier To Drop To 205

3 posters

Go down

UFC President Dana White Wants Daniel Cormier To Drop To 205 Empty UFC President Dana White Wants Daniel Cormier To Drop To 205

Post  freakzilla Sun May 27, 2012 1:26 pm

http://www.bloodyelbow.com/2012/5/27/3046426/ufc-president-dana-white-daniel-cormier-205

Last night's UFC 146 all-heavyweight main card was very exciting and delivered more than I thought it would. There are still many MMA fans who haven't forgotten last weekend's showing by Daniel Cormier against Josh Barnett at Strikeforce.

When UFC president Dana White was asked about Cormier and his future in the UFC, Dana hinted that he made it clear that he doesn't think Cormier's future is at heavyweight (via ESPN):

"Yes, he will end up coming over to the UFC. The thing is I'd love to see the guy go down to 205lbs," White said. "I think he's a small heavyweight over here.

"Listen, I respect Josh Barnett, he did work Barnett. Barnett fights like once a year, I'm not taking anything away from Barnett, but it's a whole other ball game over here.

"I'm not telling him [Cormier], if the guy wants to stay at heavyweight, I'm not going to tell him where to go, but I think it would be a good move for him to go to 205."

Cormier certainly isn't a huge heavyweight, it's hard to argue that. But he's also been very successful as a smaller heavyweight.

How different are things in the UFC from Strikeforce?

Barnett is an established, pretty good sized heavyweight. Cormier put a beating on Antonio Silva, who is clearly a huge heavyweight (and was good enough to fight in the co-main event yesterday). Cain Velasquez's game isn't based on size, nor is Junior dos Santos'.

I'm not saying Cormier wouldn't be a force at 205, I'm just saying that I don't think it's that much of a "whole other ballgame" to where it's easy to anticipate him having trouble.
freakzilla
freakzilla

Back to top Go down

UFC President Dana White Wants Daniel Cormier To Drop To 205 Empty Re: UFC President Dana White Wants Daniel Cormier To Drop To 205

Post  captainanddew Sun May 27, 2012 10:11 pm

freak, my memory isn't great, but I thought I read somewhere a while ago that Cormier wrestled at 211-212 pounds in 2008 and had issues making weight. He dehydrated himself badly in doing so.

Just looking at Cormier's body last fight. He could lose some weight, but 205 pounds seems like a bridge too far.
captainanddew
captainanddew

Back to top Go down

UFC President Dana White Wants Daniel Cormier To Drop To 205 Empty Re: UFC President Dana White Wants Daniel Cormier To Drop To 205

Post  freakzilla Sun May 27, 2012 10:47 pm

You are completely right. He said he has trouble cutting. He could lose some fat but why should he drop down when he has been so successful so far? He has that Fedor about him.
freakzilla
freakzilla

Back to top Go down

Post  captainanddew Mon May 28, 2012 9:51 pm

freakzilla wrote:You are completely right. He said he has trouble cutting. He could lose some fat but why should he drop down when he has been so successful so far? He has that Fedor about him.

If he made 205, he would look like the black version of boxer, Erik Morales. Morales used to look horrible at the weigh ins for 122, 126, and even 130. Just pure death.
captainanddew
captainanddew

Back to top Go down

Post  UBeeg9cats Tue May 29, 2012 12:10 am

I also thought Cormier had a legitimate medical condition that made cutting weight all but impossible. I could easily be wrong. Wikipedia, which is a horrible reference, mentions that he couldn't fight in the 2008 olympics due to kidney failure.

UBeeg9cats

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Tue May 29, 2012 12:46 pm

UBeeg9cats wrote:I also thought Cormier had a legitimate medical condition that made cutting weight all but impossible. I could easily be wrong. Wikipedia, which is a horrible reference, mentions that he couldn't fight in the 2008 olympics due to kidney failure.

I believe that's correct.

Daniel shouldn't move down when he's being so succesful at HW.

Back to top Go down

Post  captainanddew Tue May 29, 2012 6:37 pm

Ali wrote:
UBeeg9cats wrote:I also thought Cormier had a legitimate medical condition that made cutting weight all but impossible. I could easily be wrong. Wikipedia, which is a horrible reference, mentions that he couldn't fight in the 2008 olympics due to kidney failure.

I believe that's correct.

Daniel shouldn't move down when he's being so succesful at HW.

His natural strength and ability would make him a monster at 205. But he probably can't make it safely. So no point in doing it.
captainanddew
captainanddew

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down