The Boxing Palace
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

New Technology to be tested on HBO Card

+2
GrantZilla
Shaun
6 posters

Go down

New Technology to be tested on HBO Card Empty New Technology to be tested on HBO Card

Post  Shaun Mon Jan 30, 2012 6:03 am

Shaun
Shaun

Back to top Go down

New Technology to be tested on HBO Card Empty Re: New Technology to be tested on HBO Card

Post  GrantZilla Mon Jan 30, 2012 6:08 am

I heard about this. Sounds like a gimick. Look how bad the in-accurate Compubox stats been used to prevert fights.
GrantZilla
GrantZilla

Back to top Go down

New Technology to be tested on HBO Card Empty Re: New Technology to be tested on HBO Card

Post  Shaun Mon Jan 30, 2012 6:09 am

GrantZilla wrote:I heard about this. Sounds like a gimick. Look how bad the in-accurate Compubox stats been used to prevert fights.

True. However, if it WERE accurate, it would be an interesting tool to factor into judging a fight. I would love to see slappy Joe's stats.
Shaun
Shaun

Back to top Go down

Post  GrantZilla Mon Jan 30, 2012 6:16 am

Shaun wrote:
GrantZilla wrote:I heard about this. Sounds like a gimick. Look how bad the in-accurate Compubox stats been used to prevert fights.

True. However, if it WERE accurate, it would be an interesting tool to factor into judging a fight. I would love to see slappy Joe's stats.

That's what I'm worried about. Thank God CompuBox stats are not factered into judging. You don't need some device to tell you who's landing the harder punches.

We got idiot judges that can't even handle a 10-point system, don't give them anything else to abuse

I'm all for new techolodgy that can maybe help determine when a fighter taken too many punches, and improve health. That's what this kind of stuff should be for.

GrantZilla
GrantZilla

Back to top Go down

Post  Shaun Mon Jan 30, 2012 6:18 am

GrantZilla wrote:
Shaun wrote:

That's what I'm worried about. Thank God CompuBox stats are not factered into judging. You don't need some device to tell you who's landing the harder punches.

We got idiot judges that can't even handle a 10-point system, don't give them anything else to abuse

Nah, I wasn't referring to the ringside judges. I was referring to us as fans. For example, I think this tool would have been very helpful in judging the Mosley vs. DLH fight (their second one). Where most people at home scored for Oscar and ringside scored for Mosley.
Shaun
Shaun

Back to top Go down

Post  GrantZilla Mon Jan 30, 2012 6:25 am

Shaun wrote:Nah, I wasn't referring to the ringside judges. I was referring to us as fans. For example, I think this tool would have been very helpful in judging the Mosley vs. DLH fight (their second one). Where most people at home scored for Oscar and ringside scored for Mosley.

Oh, I got you. Yeah, I can see it being the boxing version of the pitching speed. Or it could be boxing's version of the highlighted hockey puck.

GrantZilla
GrantZilla

Back to top Go down

Post  Shaun Mon Jan 30, 2012 6:32 am

GrantZilla wrote:
Shaun wrote:Nah, I wasn't referring to the ringside judges. I was referring to us as fans. For example, I think this tool would have been very helpful in judging the Mosley vs. DLH fight (their second one). Where most people at home scored for Oscar and ringside scored for Mosley.

Oh, I got you. Yeah, I can see it being the boxing version of the pitching speed. Or it could be boxing's version of the highlighted hockey puck.

Exactly Smile
Shaun
Shaun

Back to top Go down

Post  Tobe Mon Jan 30, 2012 10:56 am

[quote="GrantZilla"]
Shaun wrote:

That was the worst call in the history of broadcast sports. Made a real sport look like a live version of NBA Jam. There was a great Molson Canadian commercial making fun of that, but I can't seem to find it anywhere.
Tobe
Tobe

Back to top Go down

Post  dmar5143 Mon Jan 30, 2012 11:11 am

not interested in this gimmick.now along with the abused talk of compubox numbers by lampkey we will now here the stats on hard punches or the effect of a jab in power or if a fighter is now losing power etc etc.anything to actualy take away the calling of a fight and the fans abilty to see whats going on .theses overblown stats of nonsence at least to me reduces the enjoyment of actualy watching a fight.we dont need a don dunphy anymore we got gimmics to tell us whats happening.whats next.eliminate judges and let the computer pick the winner with these stats.
the gimmicks and the computer will tell us when the fighter has had enought not the fighters will or heart or grit.
dmar5143
dmar5143

Back to top Go down

Post  Tobe Mon Jan 30, 2012 12:32 pm

The thing they're missing here is that it doesn't really matter how objectively "hard" the punch is based on force of impact. What matters is if it was effective or not.

What determines effectiveness is all about how the guy getting hit deals with it; and there's no statistically way to measure that.
Tobe
Tobe

Back to top Go down

Post  GonzaJoey Mon Jan 30, 2012 10:56 pm

More numbers to confuse people.
What if the punches were caught by gloves or arms?
GonzaJoey
GonzaJoey

Back to top Go down

Post  flapanther2001 Tue Jan 31, 2012 6:09 am

Don't like it. If a guy lands flush it cannot detect the impact of the punch as others mentioned above. Some guys take punches better than others. If a guy shakes off a hard shot, it matters to the judges, but not to a computer....
flapanther2001
flapanther2001

Back to top Go down

Post  Shaun Tue Jan 31, 2012 7:00 am

dmar5143 wrote:not interested in this gimmick.now along with the abused talk of compubox numbers by lampkey we will now here the stats on hard punches or the effect of a jab in power or if a fighter is now losing power etc etc.anything to actualy take away the calling of a fight and the fans abilty to see whats going on .theses overblown stats of nonsence at least to me reduces the enjoyment of actualy watching a fight.we dont need a don dunphy anymore we got gimmics to tell us whats happening.whats next.eliminate judges and let the computer pick the winner with these stats.
the gimmicks and the computer will tell us when the fighter has had enought not the fighters will or heart or grit.

True that. Lampley gets a boner from those compubox numbers.
Shaun
Shaun

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down