The Boxing Palace
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

A LIFE AS A SPORTS FAN [RECYCLED]

Go down

A LIFE AS A SPORTS FAN [RECYCLED] Empty A LIFE AS A SPORTS FAN [RECYCLED]

Post  Guest Sat Oct 23, 2010 11:21 pm

Here are the sports events that most struck me for every year since I can recall being a sports fan in 1969. These aren't necessarily the greatest moments, just the ones that have stayed with me.
1969-My first visit to Fenway Park. We lost to the Tigers 10-3.

1970-Bobby Orr and the Bruins win the Stanley Cup. May 10, 1970. I was on my Grandmother's blue couch when Orr scored the winning goal and flew through the air like Superman.

1971-The Fight of the Century. It was such a big deal my Grandmother, Aunts, Mom, Dad, Uncle and I had a roaring Sunday dinner conversation the night before the fight. EVERYBODY was into it.

1972-The wonders and horrors of Munich. 'Nuff said.

1973-Secretariat wins the Belmont by 31 in the most dominant athletic performance I have ever seen.

1974-We mortals fear for Ali's life in Zaire. Ali passes into legend.

1975-The Thrilla in Manila

1976-The US Olympic Boxing Team including the Spinks brothers, Ray Leonard, Howard Davis, Clint Jackson and the rest.

1977-This is a weird one. The great Red Rum wins his last Grand National.

1978-Bucky freaking Dent

1979-Little Red Lopez stops a gallant Mike Ayala in his greatest night.

1980-USA 4-USSR 3. The greatest sporting event of my lifetime.

1981-Ray Leonard knocks out The Hitman. A welterweight fight for the ages.

1982-Three of the most savage fights you will ever see. Schoolboy Bobby Chacon and Bazooka Limon IV. Alexis Arguello and Aaron Pryor. Ray Mancini and Duk Koo Kim.

1983-Roberto Duran stuns the world and gains some redemption for No Mas by stopping 154 strapholder Davey Moore.

1984-The Los Angeles Olympics. Carl Lewis at his peak, Mary Lou Retton etc. Honorable mention to Douig Flutie.

1985-Villanova's magical run to a National Championship.

1986-The best basketball team I have ever seen. A healthy Bill Walton was our backup center. In the words of Bob Ryan, "Larry Bird takes the most arrogant shot in basketball history, an I can do anything three pointer."

1987-Ray Leonard and Marvin Hagler

1988-Ben Johnson is caught and steroids burst onto the world's consciousness. I'm still glad I saw the race.

1989-I arrive in Cooperstown the night before the inductions of Yaz and Bench. Hundreds of us play all night whiffleball games on the grounds of the HOF. The next day 25,000 people roll in and chant for Yaz and Bench and the recently banned Pete Rose.

1990-Julio Cesar Chavez and Meldrick Taylor.

1991-Magic Johnson diagnosed with HIV. Told to me by a cabdriver in Oklahoma City. A sad day thinking what we had ahead. The way it has worked out? I grin every time I see him.

1992-The Dream Team. At one point Magic leads a break and tosses an over the shoulder blind pass to a trailing Bird who buries a three. Basketball heaven.

1993-In front of 132,000 screaming Mexicans, Julio Cesar Chavez tortures Greg Haugan like a cat tortures a mouse. Also the year I discovered Finito.

1994-No World Series.

1995-I turn to my Dad in the fifth round of the Gabe Ruelas-Jimmy Garcia fight and say "This is the kind of fight where someone dies." Sad and true.

1996-Michael Johnson runs a 19.32 200 meters to break the existing record by 2%. Incredible! It'd be like someone running a sub 9.5 hundred meters. Clean? Nah, I'm not buying it. But still remarkable to watch.

1997-Tiger blows away the Masters.

1998-The McGwire-Sosa HR chase. I grew up in a gym culture, knew all about steroids and it just never occurred to me. For a summer it was fun being ignorant.

1999-Oscar runs away from all-time greatness in a loss to Tito.

2000-Two Mexican 122's share great skill, incredible will, animosity and 12 rounds of boxing at its highest level. Morales over MAB by split decision.

2001-My beloved New England Patriots and the rise of Tom Brady. 30 years of fanhood rewarded.

2002-Tiger at his peak. 3 majors and an impossible six iron from 200 yards in a sandtrap in the gloaming with water all the way down the right side on 18 to clinch the Canadian Open. The greatest golf shot I have ever seen. The sport has never been played better. Ever.

2003-I am living on Maui but a Red Sox season ticket holder. My bags are packed to take the red eye to Boston for the World Series. We are up 5-2 in the seventh on the hated and evil former NYT Highlanders but I'm not going to the airport until it is over. Bad luck if I do. It doesn't matter. The Curse's last stand.

2004-Mr. Dave Roberts and Big Papi and the sock of Curt Shilling ALMOST makes up for all of it. Almost.

2005-Patriots 24 Eagles 21.

2006-A decade later Tiger is still doing Tiger stuff.

2007-2/3 of the incredible Izzy and Raffy trilogy.

2008-Manny Pacquiao doping the impossible and Izzy and Raffy march into history together.
Thinking about that was fun. Those were mine, what are yours?

Back to top Go down