The Boxing Palace
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Happy Birthday to the Greatest.

+2
GrantZilla
Frank
6 posters

Go down

Happy Birthday to the Greatest. Empty Happy Birthday to the Greatest.

Post  Frank Tue Jan 17, 2012 9:25 am

Happy Birthday Muhammad Ali. Thanks for making my childhood a really happy experience.

Frank

Back to top Go down

Happy Birthday to the Greatest. Empty Re: Happy Birthday to the Greatest.

Post  GrantZilla Tue Jan 17, 2012 5:34 pm

It's weird how many Champs were born around this time. Ali, Frazier, Foreman, Jones Jr, Hopkins.

GrantZilla
GrantZilla

Back to top Go down

Post  powerpuncher Wed Jan 18, 2012 1:58 am

i may be in the minority among boxing fans but to me, muhammad ali is the greatest fighter to ever live.
powerpuncher
powerpuncher

Back to top Go down

Post  LarryDickman Wed Jan 18, 2012 4:51 am

powerpuncher wrote:i may be in the minority among boxing fans but to me, muhammad ali is the greatest fighter to ever live.

You're not in the minority.He was the greatest HW I ever saw,and I was lucky enough to have seen him in his prime.What a great era that was!

LarryDickman

Back to top Go down

Post  dmar5143 Wed Jan 18, 2012 11:11 am

powerpuncher wrote:i may be in the minority among boxing fans but to me, muhammad ali is the greatest fighter to ever live.
...i think you are in the minority..i rooted for ali in all his fights up to and including the first liston fight.after that i rooted for him only twice.the first norton fight and the foreman fight.he did the greatest job in marketing himself no doubt.he deserves i feel to be in the top 7 of the list of the greatest fighters of all time at number 7..to his credit he has established himself as one of boxings rare icons and deservinly so.that to me is a awsome legacy in itself.im not a fan of alis but far from a hater.there were many times i enjoyed his wit and personality in interviews.especialy when he was serious and honest.overall he was a credit to the game.ill leave it at that.
dmar5143
dmar5143

Back to top Go down

Post  Tobe Wed Jan 18, 2012 11:46 am

dmar5143 wrote:
...i think you are in the minority..i rooted for ali in all his fights up to and including the first liston fight.after that i rooted for him only twice.the first norton fight and the foreman fight.he did the greatest job in marketing himself no doubt.he deserves i feel to be in the top 7 of the list of the greatest fighters of all time at number 7..to his credit he has established himself as one of boxings rare icons and deservinly so.that to me is a awsome legacy in itself.im not a fan of alis but far from a hater.there were many times i enjoyed his wit and personality in interviews.especialy when he was serious and honest.overall he was a credit to the game.ill leave it at that.

7th!? Really? Wow, I'll give you one (Louis) who you can make an argument was better than Ali at HW, but that's it. Ali's size, speed, style and intelligence put him above all others. Did he have flaws? Sure. But he could overcome them and adapt (see Zaire), something very few others ever show the ability to do. A prime Ali beats any other HW of all time, IMO.

Ali = GOAT.
Tobe
Tobe

Back to top Go down

Post  dmar5143 Wed Jan 18, 2012 12:41 pm

tobe im including all fighters from all weight classes.yes 7th.again any list is not based on who beats who.thats a common mistake.norton i feel beat ali twice.norton was not a great fighter ali was.schmeling beat louis yet joes light years ahead of max in greatness.tiger jones beat robinson.again light years differnce.robinson equals the greatest of all time.ali has addmited that over a dozen times when he got serious about the subjet.
dmar5143
dmar5143

Back to top Go down

Post  Tobe Wed Jan 18, 2012 1:38 pm

dmar5143 wrote:tobe im including all fighters from all weight classes.yes 7th.again any list is not based on who beats who.thats a common mistake.norton i feel beat ali twice.norton was not a great fighter ali was.schmeling beat louis yet joes light years ahead of max in greatness.tiger jones beat robinson.again light years differnce.robinson equals the greatest of all time.ali has addmited that over a dozen times when he got serious about the subjet.

Ok, if you're talking ALL weight classes (like P4P) then sure, that's a whole other argument. I was thinking only of Heavyweights.
Tobe
Tobe

Back to top Go down

Post  Frank Wed Jan 18, 2012 2:06 pm

I have to admit that I've been watching fight films for years and in my opinion, Ali is the GOAT.

Yes, I actually heard Ali say that Robinson was the greatest fighter P4P in history. I have to disagree with Ali. I think he (Ali) is. (smile)

Frank

Back to top Go down

Post  dmar5143 Wed Jan 18, 2012 3:06 pm

frank the topic brought to mind a cute story.robinson was asked who was the greatest fighter he ever saw.without hesitation robinson said willie pep.the reporter then met willie and told him what ray said and then asked the same question.willie with his fast wit without hesitation said i have to agree with what robinson said.
dmar5143
dmar5143

Back to top Go down

Post  powerpuncher Wed Jan 18, 2012 4:09 pm

dmar5143 wrote:frank the topic brought to mind a cute story.robinson was asked who was the greatest fighter he ever saw.without hesitation robinson said willie pep.the reporter then met willie and told him what ray said and then asked the same question.willie with his fast wit without hesitation said i have to agree with what robinson said.
haha. thats funny. but most people wont say that thy are the greatest unless you are floyd mayweather.
powerpuncher
powerpuncher

Back to top Go down

Post  Frank Wed Jan 18, 2012 4:57 pm

dmar5143 wrote:frank the topic brought to mind a cute story.robinson was asked who was the greatest fighter he ever saw.without hesitation robinson said willie pep.the reporter then met willie and told him what ray said and then asked the same question.willie with his fast wit without hesitation said i have to agree with what robinson said.
That is funny. Never knew Robinson said that.

I think it was KO Boxing Mag that put together the 50 greatest fighters of the 20th century. This was a long time ago. Robinson was 1st. Pep was 2nd and Ali was 3rd.

Frank

Back to top Go down

Post  powerpuncher Wed Jan 18, 2012 11:33 pm

Frank wrote:
That is funny. Never knew Robinson said that.

I think it was KO Boxing Mag that put together the 50 greatest fighters of the 20th century. This was a long time ago. Robinson was 1st. Pep was 2nd and Ali was 3rd.
those are my top 3 and they are pretty solid. i always change my top fighters but i dont think that those top 3 will ever change for me.
powerpuncher
powerpuncher

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Thu Jan 19, 2012 1:53 pm

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down