The Boxing Palace
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Was a 35 year old star born last night?

5 posters

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next

Go down

Was a 35 year old star born last night? Empty Was a 35 year old star born last night?

Post  hardcorebee24 Sun Nov 21, 2010 11:05 pm

Martinez couldn't have picked a better time to shine. With Pacquiao about to retire and Floyd doing his best to go to jail the sport was in need of a breakout star. Martinez also did most important thing a fighter can do when gaining publicity, he brutally knocked his opponent out. The guy has the looks, the humility and the style to be huge can a 35 year old Argentine do this? We'll have to see but one things for sure his stock and star power rose big time last night.
hardcorebee24
hardcorebee24

Back to top Go down

Was a 35 year old star born last night? Empty Re: Was a 35 year old star born last night?

Post  Guest Sun Nov 21, 2010 11:13 pm

I'm trying to think how many guys EVER kinda burst on the scene at 34+ to make a big impact.

Jersey Joe Walcott won the heavyweight title at what? 35?

Archie Moore won the LHW title at 36, but everyone knew Archie well before then.

Hell even Old Bones Joe Brown was only 30 when he won the title.

This is a really, really rare event.

Back to top Go down

Was a 35 year old star born last night? Empty Re: Was a 35 year old star born last night?

Post  Guest Sun Nov 21, 2010 11:15 pm

Now if Sergio could only learn English.

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Sun Nov 21, 2010 11:16 pm

Ali wrote:Now if Sergio could only learn English.

Be worth a million dollars to him.

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Sun Nov 21, 2010 11:18 pm

marbleheadmaui wrote:

Be worth a million dollars to him.

He's missing out on guest appearances on the George Lopez show Laughing

Back to top Go down

Post  hardcorebee24 Sun Nov 21, 2010 11:21 pm

I bet the next interview he does is in English. Cyclops is currently teaching him the language. He'll have it learned by Wednesday.
hardcorebee24
hardcorebee24

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Sun Nov 21, 2010 11:23 pm

hardcorebee24 wrote:

I bet the next interview he does is in English. Cyclops is currently teaching him the language. He'll have it learned by Wednesday.

lol Cyclops will solve the economic crisis and will crush global warming too.

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Sun Nov 21, 2010 11:25 pm

hardcorebee24 wrote:

Entirely possible. By Thursday (under Cyclops tutelage) he may have invented a perpetual motion machine too.

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Sun Nov 21, 2010 11:25 pm

Ali wrote:
hardcorebee24 wrote:

lol Cyclops will solve the economic crisis and will crush global warming too.

Ah crap. The wee Scot beat me too it!

Back to top Go down

Post  Groundhog Sun Nov 21, 2010 11:30 pm

If Martinez goes on to beat a top 5 guy at 168, can we get a Constitutional amendment passed that allows non native born, non-citizens to become President? Cyclops 2012!

Groundhog

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Mon Nov 22, 2010 8:42 am

yes pavik win and the first williams fight paved theway to stardom..saturday night cemented it..martinez said wisely i feel hes looking to fight 2 or 3 more times and retire.soo even for that time he can be a intrum star..i agree with his reasoning given his age and that perhaps he feels he can maintain his ability in top form for that lenth of time and make some money to set himself up comfortably...too often fighters take the other course and linger well beyound there time..im rooting for him to win thoses 3 fights and establish paving the road to the hall..

Back to top Go down

Post  gomez1012 Mon Nov 22, 2010 1:04 pm

Lets hope we see him in the ring again very soon!
gomez1012
gomez1012

Back to top Go down

Post  powerpuncher Mon Nov 22, 2010 2:27 pm

thats the problem with him being so old. imagine if he would have come on the scene earlier. he would have been a huge star. now he will only be a star for about 2 years max.
powerpuncher
powerpuncher

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Mon Nov 22, 2010 6:15 pm

powerpuncher wrote:thats the problem with him being so old. imagine if he would have come on the scene earlier. he would have been a huge star. now he will only be a star for about 2 years max.

Unless he's Archie Moore or Bob Fitzsimmons or George Foreman Wink

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Mon Nov 22, 2010 8:06 pm

My guess is HBO push for Martinez vs Pirog next, I just hope the WBC don't force Sergio to face some bogus mandatory.

Back to top Go down

Post  gomez1012 Mon Nov 22, 2010 8:25 pm

Ali wrote:My guess is HBO push for Martinez vs Pirog next, I just hope the WBC don't force Sergio to face some bogus mandatory.

I want to see him face Pirog and Sturm

Sturm fight would be HUGE in Germany
gomez1012
gomez1012

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Mon Nov 22, 2010 9:56 pm

gomez1012 wrote:
Ali wrote:My guess is HBO push for Martinez vs Pirog next, I just hope the WBC don't force Sergio to face some bogus mandatory.

I want to see him face Pirog and Sturm

Sturm fight would be HUGE in Germany

And given he spends most of his time in Spain it might not bug Martinez much.

Back to top Go down

Post  powerpuncher Mon Nov 22, 2010 10:57 pm

marbleheadmaui wrote:
powerpuncher wrote:thats the problem with him being so old. imagine if he would have come on the scene earlier. he would have been a huge star. now he will only be a star for about 2 years max.

Unless he's Archie Moore or Bob Fitzsimmons or George Foreman Wink
dont play devil's advocate with me Evil or Very Mad
powerpuncher
powerpuncher

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Mon Nov 22, 2010 11:29 pm

I'd love it if Martinez went to Germany to unify with Sturm but I get the feeling HBO and Lou DiBella would be against it.

Back to top Go down

Post  hardcorebee24 Mon Nov 22, 2010 11:39 pm

Ali wrote:I'd love it if Martinez went to Germany to unify with Sturm but I get the feeling HBO and Lou DiBella would be against it.

Why? Lou is about making the best fights possible to save the sport supposedly. This would be a good test of that claim if Sturm gives it the OK.
hardcorebee24
hardcorebee24

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Mon Nov 22, 2010 11:41 pm

hardcorebee24 wrote:
Ali wrote:I'd love it if Martinez went to Germany to unify with Sturm but I get the feeling HBO and Lou DiBella would be against it.

Why? Lou is about making the best fights possible to save the sport supposedly. This would be a good test of that claim if Sturm gives it the OK.

Well for starters HBO hate broadcasting abroad, they wouldn't pay good money for a fight televised in Germany, plus Lou would probably be worried about getting a decision in Germany. I just can't see them being interested in this fight.

Back to top Go down

Post  hardcorebee24 Mon Nov 22, 2010 11:44 pm

Ali wrote:
hardcorebee24 wrote:

Well for starters HBO hate broadcasting abroad, they wouldn't pay good money for a fight televised in Germany, plus Lou would probably be worried about getting a decision in Germany. I just can't see them being interested in this fight.

You're probably right.
hardcorebee24
hardcorebee24

Back to top Go down

Post  Gumby Tue Nov 23, 2010 12:09 am

Ali wrote:Well for starters HBO hate broadcasting abroad, they wouldn't pay good money for a fight televised in Germany, plus Lou would probably be worried about getting a decision in Germany. I just can't see them being interested in this fight.

They could take a page from Showtime's book and tape delay it and show it as a co-feature. The judges might be an issue but Sergio might have enough clout to somehow get judges with reliable and impartial track records.

I would love to see him take a fight to Latin America.
Gumby
Gumby

Back to top Go down

Post  gomez1012 Tue Nov 23, 2010 1:44 pm

Ali wrote:

They've done Wlad fights in the past, Martinez worth the price IMO

Its a big payday and fight for the 35 yr old champ. A fighter who's already traveled alot in his career, like Marble said he spends a lot of time in Spain

makes a sense lot in my book
gomez1012
gomez1012

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Tue Nov 23, 2010 1:47 pm

You saw how Khan's priced dropped when they considered staging the Maidana fight in the UK, and HBO have the hots for Amir at the moment like Mugatu had the hots for Hansel in Zoolander.

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next