The Boxing Palace
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

BOXINGS LOVEABLE VILLIAN

+4
GonzaJoey
GrantZilla
Rum Capital
dmar5143
8 posters

Go down

BOXINGS LOVEABLE VILLIAN Empty BOXINGS LOVEABLE VILLIAN

Post  dmar5143 Mon Oct 10, 2011 1:46 pm

tony galento is on the list of my all time favorite fighters along with pep robinson greb marciano louis basilio etc etc ..it certainly isnt based on talent for tony litterly had none.nor did the guy know the first thing about fighting in the ring.in the street a huge yes..tony had what very few fighters had ever.huge huge brass balls and a genuine toughness.he could punch though big time but it was natural power not one based on leverage timing balance etc etc because tony had none of that either.
tony was a villian in the ring because there were no rules.just street rules.thumbing a guy in the eye often hitting below the belt anytime and a short 5 foot nine he lol had to headbutt.that was tonys villian type style and if you did it to him he felt thats ok.thats part of my rules.anything goes..one of the original trash talkers with ill moider the bum.or when they told him lou nova was a university grad he said a collich kid.ill moider the bum and he did by tonys rules..he fought louis had him on the deck max and buddy baer the 3 hardest hitters in that era.tonys defense was his face.hit me ill wear you out.louis was the only guy to deck him so tony indeed was tough.
tony had humor also.he said he had great respect for joe louis thats why he stoped drinking beer 2 days before the fight..tony owned a bar and was the bartender and drank beer with customers untill 5 pm then said fellows i gotta go.im fighting tonight at the garden.
even though tony was the bad guy villan boxing fans loved him..with tony theres no dull fight.the unexpected was the norm.he brought fans into the arena..when he and another loveable character max baer fought it was extra exciting and add libbed fighting and a dash of comedy.max hit tony low then did a japense type bow.tony replied with a thumb to the eye...can you lol imaggine it ortiz headbutted tony and what tony would do in reply.
i dont of course condom that stuff but couldnt boxing use a tony or max baer type of character today instead of the tweeting non fighting bravado-cowards lol.tony was boxings original loveable villian..
dmar5143
dmar5143

Back to top Go down

BOXINGS LOVEABLE VILLIAN Empty Re: BOXINGS LOVEABLE VILLIAN

Post  Rum Capital Mon Oct 10, 2011 9:59 pm

I'LL MOIDER DA BUM
nice call dmar
ok villains i can think of in my era would eubank, camacho, eusebio pedroza, and there was some argentinian guy back in the 80's who was a major A-hole but his name escapes me right now.
Rum Capital
Rum Capital

Back to top Go down

Post  dmar5143 Mon Oct 10, 2011 10:20 pm

rum camacho when younger was a likeable personable villian.good call.
dmar5143
dmar5143

Back to top Go down

Post  GrantZilla Mon Oct 10, 2011 10:23 pm

Sonny Liston for sure

Modern ones, Darchinyan and Rios
GrantZilla
GrantZilla

Back to top Go down

Post  GonzaJoey Tue Oct 11, 2011 12:52 am

Jack Johnson ? Black dude married to a white chick ( ok she was a prostitute but it still counts ) and was the heavyweight champion of the world . Then he beat the great white hope in the FIght of the Century. A riot almost ensued iirc.

ALi copying Gorgeous George's villain smalk talking act ?

GonzaJoey
GonzaJoey

Back to top Go down

Post  GrantZilla Tue Oct 11, 2011 12:59 am

Johnson was more of an anti hero than villain. Sure he was a villain to many whites at the time but he would have been a villain to them regardless.

Johnson went by the beat of his own drum and that's why he was hated. He didn't really go out of his way to be a villain. Racism made him out to be one more than anything.

If you took the things he did and his personality and put into today's context, it'd be nothing. He was just way ahead of his time
GrantZilla
GrantZilla

Back to top Go down

Post  dmar5143 Tue Oct 11, 2011 9:23 am

guys your missing the point.liston johnson and others indeed are villians.legendary ones but there not loveable.camacho was ali it was 50-50 maybe so that disqualifies him.same with dempsey most of his career.after the second tunney fight jack became a loveable hero..
dmar5143
dmar5143

Back to top Go down

Post  Frank Tue Oct 11, 2011 9:59 am

I really can't see Jack Johnson as a villian. Fearless? Sure. He was able to win fights with crowds of 50 thousand and better calling for his life. There were multiple lynchings in southern towns after Johnson victories. Greatest fighter of his day. Also created the "Pipe Wrench" and started what would later be called "The Cottton Club" (After it was stolen by gangsters.) Brilliant man and yes, a hero to millions.

Frank

Back to top Go down

Post  dbudge Tue Oct 11, 2011 12:20 pm

Chris Eubanks was definitely a loveable villain. he was "thimply the betht"

dbudge

Back to top Go down

Post  Frank Tue Oct 11, 2011 12:28 pm

Now Aaron Pryor was a likable villian. Merciless in the ring, relatively nice guy out of it. More fun to watch than any fighter I've ever seen.

Frank

Back to top Go down

Post  dmar5143 Tue Oct 11, 2011 12:32 pm

Frank wrote:Now Aaron Pryor was a likable villian. Merciless in the ring, relatively nice guy out of it. More fun to watch than any fighter I've ever seen.
...hmmm pryor.why not.how can you not root for him.unless of course its arguello hes fighting.thats the only time i rooted against pryor.
dmar5143
dmar5143

Back to top Go down

Post  Soonermark890 Tue Oct 11, 2011 1:02 pm

ricardo mayorga?
Soonermark890
Soonermark890
Admin

https://theboxingpalace.forumotion.com

Back to top Go down

Post  dmar5143 Tue Oct 11, 2011 1:26 pm

Soonermark890 wrote:ricardo mayorga?
...lol interesting choice..im not a fan of the BS stuff but mayorga is an exception.i love his crazy antics sometimes.he has several shortcomings as a fighter but he sure tries to win..
dmar5143
dmar5143

Back to top Go down

Post  Soonermark890 Tue Oct 11, 2011 1:29 pm

dmar5143 wrote:
Soonermark890 wrote:ricardo mayorga?
...lol interesting choice..im not a fan of the BS stuff but mayorga is an exception.i love his crazy antics sometimes.he has several shortcomings as a fighter but he sure tries to win..
He is the only villain I could think of that people like.
Soonermark890
Soonermark890
Admin

https://theboxingpalace.forumotion.com

Back to top Go down

Post  Groundhog Tue Oct 11, 2011 4:39 pm

dbudge wrote:Chris Eubanks was definitely a loveable villain. he was "thimply the betht"

he even dressed like a stereotypical villain

BOXINGS LOVEABLE VILLIAN Tumblr_laz5ammDwp1qet98po2_400 Shocked

Groundhog

Back to top Go down

Post  GrantZilla Tue Oct 11, 2011 11:01 pm

Iron Mike! People loved him regardless of what he did. Look how popular he was when he got out of jail
GrantZilla
GrantZilla

Back to top Go down

Post  dmar5143 Wed Oct 12, 2011 10:31 am

iron mike is a excellent example.
dmar5143
dmar5143

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Wed Oct 12, 2011 10:58 am

dmar5143 wrote:tony galento is on the list of my all time favorite fighters along with pep robinson greb marciano louis basilio etc etc ..it certainly isnt based on talent for tony litterly had none.nor did the guy know the first thing about fighting in the ring.in the street a huge yes..tony had what very few fighters had ever.huge huge brass balls and a genuine toughness.he could punch though big time but it was natural power not one based on leverage timing balance etc etc because tony had none of that either.
tony was a villian in the ring because there were no rules.just street rules.thumbing a guy in the eye often hitting below the belt anytime and a short 5 foot nine he lol had to headbutt.that was tonys villian type style and if you did it to him he felt thats ok.thats part of my rules.anything goes..one of the original trash talkers with ill moider the bum.or when they told him lou nova was a university grad he said a collich kid.ill moider the bum and he did by tonys rules..he fought louis had him on the deck max and buddy baer the 3 hardest hitters in that era.tonys defense was his face.hit me ill wear you out.louis was the only guy to deck him so tony indeed was tough.
tony had humor also.he said he had great respect for joe louis thats why he stoped drinking beer 2 days before the fight..tony owned a bar and was the bartender and drank beer with customers untill 5 pm then said fellows i gotta go.im fighting tonight at the garden.

"Two Ton" Tony Galento, they don't make 'um like him anymore. Wink Hell, he should have stuck to his routine and drank beer until 5:00 PM the night he fought Joe Louis, he might have Moidered da bum!

Galento knocking Louis down with a wild left hook. (bad move on Tony's part)

BOXINGS LOVEABLE VILLIAN Lj2t

Back to top Go down

Post  dmar5143 Wed Oct 12, 2011 11:14 am

lol lol i agree ring.follow the routine you have suucess with.
dmar5143
dmar5143

Back to top Go down

Post  Frank Wed Oct 12, 2011 6:06 pm

Groundhog wrote:
dbudge wrote:Chris Eubanks was definitely a loveable villain. he was "thimply the betht"

he even dressed like a stereotypical villain

BOXINGS LOVEABLE VILLIAN Tumblr_laz5ammDwp1qet98po2_400 Shocked
Am I getting older or does Eubanks look like a child dressed in adult clothing? Granted, he looks much younger than, let's say, Floyd Mayweather.

Frank

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down