The Boxing Palace
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Worst Officiating in Boxing History?

5 posters

Go down

Worst Officiating in Boxing History? Empty Worst Officiating in Boxing History?

Post  Shaun Mon Mar 14, 2011 11:30 am

Here's four videos. Feel free to post your own.

Joe Cortez being Joe Cortez.

Why people Hate Kermit Cintron.

Just a bad judgement call.

2 point deduction for biting? what?

Shaun
Shaun

Back to top Go down

Worst Officiating in Boxing History? Empty Re: Worst Officiating in Boxing History?

Post  Guest Mon Mar 14, 2011 12:15 pm

Find a worse ref than Ollie Pecord.Was he trying to get Willard killed against Dempset?Maybe it wasn't customary for a ref to stop fights back then,but damn!Willard's corner should have thrown in the towel a round earlier.

Back to top Go down

Worst Officiating in Boxing History? Empty Re: Worst Officiating in Boxing History?

Post  Frank Tue Mar 15, 2011 7:49 am

The worst officiating I ever watched in its entirety was "Davey Moore vs. Roberto Duran" for the WBA Junior Middleweight Championship. Davey was taking an unbelievable beating and the fight should've been stopped in the 7th round. He was let out for the 8th in the most disgraceful round I ever witnessed. Moore could've easily been killed. Name of the official? I forgot and I don't care to remember.

Note: Jake LaMatta was at ringside screaming for the fight to be stopped. Jake LaMatta!

Frank

Back to top Go down

Post  dbudge Tue Mar 15, 2011 12:36 pm

worst refereeing i've seen recently

Erkki Meronon - Enzo Maccarinelli vs Alexander Frenkel...... Maccarinelli was heavily put on the canvas against Frenkel at which point the fight should have been called off. Maccarinelli just about got onto 2 feet before 10 was counted and was all over the place and clearly to everybody in no position to continue. Everybody except for Meronon who allowed the fight to continue and effectively allowing Maccarinelli to take a massive unneccessary shot. Here it is https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KZwfgtaucIA

Earl Morton - Sergio Martinez vs Paul Williams 2....... when Williams was hit with that monstrous left, it was clearly visible that he had immediately lost conciousness. the way he fell like a tree being chopped down, face first into the canvas, motionless and with his eyes still open should have been a big enough clue then for the ref to stop the fight. even with the doctors on the ring apron climbing through the ropes, Morton found it more necessary to reach the full 10 count rather than remove Williams' gumshield and making sure his airway was clear. that was bad refereeing in my eyes. Here it is https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=koe4Sm8nQPU

Joe Cortez - Hatton vs Mayweather...... Cortez was just horrible in this fight. he let Floyd hold, duck his head, offer the back of his head, put his elbows in Hatton's face. everytime Hatton got close to Floyd, Cortez would call them to break. that has to be the most one sided referee performance i've ever seen. i don't think that it would have changed the outcome of the fight, but i do think it was really bad officiating and it completely took away any fight or tactic that Hatton could have used effectively against Mayweather. Cortez has made numerous bad calls in his career, most of them on Golden Boy shows.

Terry O'Connor - Joe Calzaghe vs Peter Manfredo....... most premature stoppage i've ever seen, and totally unnecessary. once again i don't think this decision would have changed the outcome of the fight, but there were nearly 50'000 fans packed into a Stadium that had all paid good money to watch a show. neither Joe Calzaghe nor Peter Manfredo were given that chance. considering that Calzaghe's undisputed 168lb title was on the line that night, one would have expected Manfredo to be given at least a couple more rounds to get into the fight, if he was going to all, as all he was taking were punches on the arms and he was clearly unhurt

dbudge

Back to top Go down

Post  Norm1023 Tue Mar 15, 2011 12:43 pm

Any Earl Morton fight. The guy is just awful.

Check out Martinez-Williams II. He was in the process of ruining it before that big punch.
Norm1023
Norm1023

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Tue Mar 15, 2011 12:51 pm

Frank wrote:The worst officiating I ever watched in its entirety was "Davey Moore vs. Roberto Duran" for the WBA Junior Middleweight Championship. Davey was taking an unbelievable beating and the fight should've been stopped in the 7th round. He was let out for the 8th in the most disgraceful round I ever witnessed. Moore could've easily been killed. Name of the official? I forgot and I don't care to remember.

Note: Jake LaMatta was at ringside screaming for the fight to be stopped. Jake LaMatta!

The "referee" was Ernesto Magana.It was one of the few times I actually felt like changing the channel,Moore was taking such a beating it made me sick to my stomach.Classic example of a boy versus a man.

Back to top Go down

Post  GrantZilla Tue Mar 15, 2011 6:12 pm

Worse refereeing in the history of boxing

Ruby Goldstein let's Griffith use Paret's head as a speedbag until he beat him to death on national telivision

GrantZilla
GrantZilla

Back to top Go down

Post  dbudge Tue Mar 15, 2011 6:15 pm

GrantZilla wrote:Worse refereeing in the history of boxing

Ruby Goldstein let's Griffith use Paret's head as a speedbag until he beat him to death on national telivision

yeh man without doubt that was the worst refereeing in history. the sick part was Paret's little smile after Griffith was pulled off him and then that fateful slump to the canvas. truly and utterly terrible refereeing

dbudge

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Tue Mar 15, 2011 6:17 pm

Joe Cortez in the Hatton vs Mayweather and Calzaghe vs Hopkins fights.

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down