The Boxing Palace
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

GSP's already thinking about turning down the Anderson Silva fight

3 posters

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next

Go down

GSP's already thinking about turning down the Anderson Silva fight Empty GSP's already thinking about turning down the Anderson Silva fight

Post  Guest Thu Mar 10, 2011 4:58 pm

Last edited by Ali on Fri Mar 11, 2011 1:27 am; edited 1 time in total

Back to top Go down

GSP's already thinking about turning down the Anderson Silva fight Empty Re: GSP's already thinking about turning down the Anderson Silva fight

Post  Deeznutz Thu Mar 10, 2011 5:02 pm

You can't duck a fighter that isn't in your weight class. GSP is so good at his job that people get upset with him being too dominate at WW. Anderson could take the same amount of time that GSP would take to move up and lean down a little bit and make a run at WW. GSP's job is to be the best WW in the World. Anderson Silva's job is to be the best MW in the world.

Deeznutz

Back to top Go down

GSP's already thinking about turning down the Anderson Silva fight Empty Re: GSP's already thinking about turning down the Anderson Silva fight

Post  Guest Thu Mar 10, 2011 5:09 pm

Deeznutz wrote:You can't duck a fighter that isn't in your weight class. GSP is so good at his job that people get upset with him being too dominate at WW. Anderson could take the same amount of time that GSP would take to move up and lean down a little bit and make a run at WW. GSP's job is to be the best WW in the World. Anderson Silva's job is to be the best MW in the world.

George has cleaned out the division has no one left to fight in the UFC. He's got the frame and skills to move up and challenge for the title. If you want to be great or the P4P king you need to at least attempt to try another weight class.

B.J and Silva have done it, it's time for GSP to give it a try.

Nobody is asking him to vacate the title, I just want to see the two best P4P fighters in the world square off. We're lucky to have the #1 and #2 guys within a weight class of each other.

Hendo is a Middleweight and wants to fight a HW in Fedor !!!

Back to top Go down

Post  Deeznutz Thu Mar 10, 2011 5:16 pm

Ali wrote:
Deeznutz wrote:You can't duck a fighter that isn't in your weight class. GSP is so good at his job that people get upset with him being too dominate at WW. Anderson could take the same amount of time that GSP would take to move up and lean down a little bit and make a run at WW. GSP's job is to be the best WW in the World. Anderson Silva's job is to be the best MW in the world.

George has cleaned out the division has no one left to fight in the UFC. He's got the frame and skills to move up and challenge for the title. If you want to be great or the P4P king you need to at least attempt to try another weight class.

Nobody is asking him to vacate the title, I just want to see the two best P4P fighters in the world square off. We're lucky to have the #1 and #2 guys within a weight class of each other.

GSP is very smart. If he jumps weight he wants to do it the right way. Which would require him to go up and not come back down. Which is the smart and right thing to do. If he moves up it is going to be to attempt to be the MW Champion. Anderson taking fights at LHW for entertaiment because Dana asked him too isn't what is going on here. I would love for GSP to dabble at MW by challenging a MW contender. But that isn't what he is being asked to do. It isn't fair by any means. He doesn't owe anyone anything. Staying at his natural weight class should not offend anyone. Hendo is a very bad example. At this point in his career he clearly looks better as a LHW. But that is beside the point. GSP shouldn't have to do it just because others have.

Deeznutz

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Thu Mar 10, 2011 5:21 pm

I'll get back to this, my dinner has arrived Wink

Back to top Go down

Post  Deeznutz Thu Mar 10, 2011 5:27 pm

Ali wrote:I'll get back to this, my dinner has arrived Wink

LOL, I seriously hate, hate, hate how people demand GSP fight Spider. You say GSP has cleared out the divison but you have a perfectly good matchup with Jake Sheilds who has won 14 straight fights. Then you have guys like Condit, Kampmann and even Deigo that are in the mix but haven't fought GSP yet. Also you have to give Jon Fitch another shot. Even if the result is a bloody mess. He has earned the right to be turned into a bloody mess yet again by GSP. He has earned that. So IMO you could have 2 more fights that are title worthy fights for GSP in the near future.
Anderson has a rematch with Okami on his plate. Also if Chael gets back into action he deserves another shot(despite being a POS human). Nate Marquart was on his way to earning another shot as well. They have fights out there for them, contenders have earned their spot.

Deeznutz

Back to top Go down

Post  freakzilla Thu Mar 10, 2011 8:35 pm

Anderson hasn't done it. He hasn't stepped in the cage with Rua, Machida, Rashad, Rampage or Jones. You're being hypocritical if you say GSP is ducking Anderson when Anderson is ducking the top LHW.
freakzilla
freakzilla

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Fri Mar 11, 2011 1:00 am

Deeznutz wrote:
Ali wrote:

GSP is very smart. If he jumps weight he wants to do it the right way. Which would require him to go up and not come back down. Which is the smart and right thing to do. If he moves up it is going to be to attempt to be the MW Champion. Anderson taking fights at LHW for entertaiment because Dana asked him too isn't what is going on here. I would love for GSP to dabble at MW by challenging a MW contender. But that isn't what he is being asked to do. It isn't fair by any means. He doesn't owe anyone anything. Staying at his natural weight class should not offend anyone. Hendo is a very bad example. At this point in his career he clearly looks better as a LHW. But that is beside the point. GSP shouldn't have to do it just because others have.

See I don't think GSP needs to gain that much weight, his speed would be a huge asset to have in the division. And we know from other fighters that George has been able to handle big Middleweights and Light Heavies in his training camp. There would be a risk of losing speed if George bulked up too much. Hey I've got no problem with George wanting to move up smartly, I just want to see him challenge Silva while the fight is red hot.

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Fri Mar 11, 2011 1:04 am

Deeznutz wrote:
Ali wrote:I'll get back to this, my dinner has arrived Wink

LOL, I seriously hate, hate, hate how people demand GSP fight Spider. You say GSP has cleared out the divison but you have a perfectly good matchup with Jake Sheilds who has won 14 straight fights. Then you have guys like Condit, Kampmann and even Deigo that are in the mix but haven't fought GSP yet. Also you have to give Jon Fitch another shot. Even if the result is a bloody mess. He has earned the right to be turned into a bloody mess yet again by GSP. He has earned that. So IMO you could have 2 more fights that are title worthy fights for GSP in the near future.
Anderson has a rematch with Okami on his plate. Also if Chael gets back into action he deserves another shot(despite being a POS human). Nate Marquart was on his way to earning another shot as well. They have fights out there for them, contenders have earned their spot.

After the Sheilds fight there isn't anyone left. Condit has only really one great win under his belt at the moment, Kampman has just lost two in a row and was blown away by Daley not that long ago. George beat Fitch so decisively the first time there isn't any rush for a rematch.

Anderson Silva is 35 years old, there isn't alot of time left for George to challenge Silva while he's still an outstanding fighter. If GSP wants to be great he'll fight Silva after Sheilds !

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Fri Mar 11, 2011 1:05 am

freakzilla wrote:Anderson hasn't done it. He hasn't stepped in the cage with Rua, Machida, Rashad, Rampage or Jones. You're being hypocritical if you say GSP is ducking Anderson when Anderson is ducking the top LHW.

Silva stepped in the cage with Forrest and blew him away in seconds. Forrest is a former Light Heavyweight champion who holds a win over the current LHW champ Rua.

GSP's hasn't even fought a journeymen at Middleweight.

Ducking is a harsh word, but GSP will never be P4P in my eyes if he doesn't at least take one fight at 185lb.

Back to top Go down

Post  freakzilla Fri Mar 11, 2011 2:00 am

Forrest was shitting himself before the fight even started and he beat an injured Rua. The Rua that beat Machida would beat Anderson. Anderson hasn't fought a top 5 LHW.
freakzilla
freakzilla

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Fri Mar 11, 2011 2:07 am

freakzilla wrote:Forrest was shitting himself before the fight even started and he beat an injured Rua. The Rua that beat Machida would beat Anderson. Anderson hasn't fought a top 5 LHW.

No you're just being bitter.

Silva vs GSP needs to happen after the Shields fight !!! P4P Supremacy

Back to top Go down

Post  freakzilla Fri Mar 11, 2011 3:16 am

Only if it happens at a catchweight.
freakzilla
freakzilla

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Fri Mar 11, 2011 3:17 am

freakzilla wrote:Only if it happens at a catchweight.

No !! 185lb or no fight at all.

Back to top Go down

Post  Gumby Fri Mar 11, 2011 12:27 pm

Ali wrote:He's got the frame and skills to move up and challenge for the title. If you want to be great or the P4P king you need to at least attempt to try another weight class.

I don't think GSP has the frame at all. Yes he can compete at 185 but he's much smaller than Silva and other top guys at MW. Also, he has no experience at the weight and it's rare that guys can increase their power and strength in proportion with their weight gain. He would be at a disadvantage. GSP is already great and already the P4P king (I'm saying this as a Silva fan). Why? He's demonstrated the best balance of athleticism, skill, strategy, execution of anyone in the sport.

He's not ducking anyone, and I don't think he should be expected to move up to prove something. He has nothing to prove. I hate the mentality that fans want great fighters to handicap themselves and live up to an impossible level of expectation and then dump them if they can't. In my opinion, GSP is one of the classiest and most disciplined people in sports.

This is a Pacquiao vs. Sergio Martinez situation except that GSP always takes on the best available opponents in his weight class with no catchweight.
Gumby
Gumby

Back to top Go down

Post  Deeznutz Fri Mar 11, 2011 12:29 pm

Gumby wrote:
Ali wrote:He's got the frame and skills to move up and challenge for the title. If you want to be great or the P4P king you need to at least attempt to try another weight class.

I don't think GSP has the frame at all. Yes he can compete at 185 but he's much smaller than Silva and other top guys at MW. Also, he has no experience at the weight and it's rare that guys can increase their power and strength in proportion with their weight gain. He would be at a disadvantage. GSP is already great and already the P4P king (I'm saying this as a Silva fan). Why? He's demonstrated the best balance of athleticism, skill, strategy, execution of anyone in the sport.

He's not ducking anyone, and I don't think he should be expected to move up to prove something. He has nothing to prove. I hate the mentality that fans want great fighters to handicap themselves and live up to an impossible level of expectation and then dump them if they can't. In my opinion, GSP is one of the classiest and most disciplined people in sports.

This is a Pacquiao vs. Sergio Martinez situation except that GSP always takes on the best available opponents in his weight class with no catchweight.

Exactly, I have been screaming that forever.

Deeznutz

Back to top Go down

Post  Deeznutz Fri Mar 11, 2011 12:38 pm

GSP would be at a huge disadvantage in that fight. But just because he has great wrestling and a style people think would give Anderson problems they are demanding he go up in weight. You even have people saying he is "ducking" him if he doesn't go up. Gumby said it perfectly, the mentality of fans is just insane. It's extremely unfair to such a respectful fighter.

Deeznutz

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Fri Mar 11, 2011 4:50 pm

I guess I am on my own in this one.

It's got nothing to do with me wanting to see GSP lose or handicap himself, I generally believe he's got the tools, speed and athleticism to be successful in the division. He's roughly the same size as Chris Leban and he's bigger than Akiyama. All I want to see is George just dip his toes in the division and test it out, one mega fight isn't much to ask. It's his choice to vacate the Welterweight belt and move up full time, I just want to see the two top P4P fighters square off.

Back to top Go down

Post  Deeznutz Fri Mar 11, 2011 4:53 pm

Ali wrote:I guess I am on my own in this one.

It's got nothing to do with me wanting to see GSP lose or handicap himself, I generally believe he's got the tools, speed and athleticism to be successful in the division. He's roughly the same size as Chris Leban and he's bigger than Akiyama. All I want to see is George just dip his toes in the division and test it out, one mega fight isn't much to ask. It's his choice to vacate the Welterweight belt and move up full time, I just want to see the two top P4P fighters square off.

Fighting the World Champion and top p4p fighter isn't exactly "dipping your toes" in the divison. Also just because GSP has the style to beat Anderson doesn't mean he should have to leave WW. I think other MW would give him even more problems.
What about Fitch? He has shown to have a better chin then even GSP, he has shown to have just about equal wrestling. He is bigger then GSP, Fitch is a BIG WW. GSP has much better standup then Fitch but that isn't a tool he would use vs Anderson. I give Fitch as good or better chance vs Anderson strictly looking at styles.

Deeznutz

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Fri Mar 11, 2011 5:14 pm

We'll just have to agree to disagree.

Back to top Go down

Post  Deeznutz Fri Mar 11, 2011 6:12 pm

Ali wrote:We'll just have to agree to disagree.

No! You're fucking wrong you dirty little wanker! tongue

I think Jake Shields has a chance to fuck this all up anyways, last I heard Anderson's camp wasn't anymore pumped about the potential matchup then GSP's camp.

Deeznutz

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Fri Mar 11, 2011 6:18 pm

Deeznutz wrote:
Ali wrote:We'll just have to agree to disagree.

No! You're fucking wrong you dirty little wanker! tongue

I think Jake Shields has a chance to fuck this all up anyways, last I heard Anderson's camp wasn't anymore pumped about the potential matchup then GSP's camp.

Douchebag jerkoff Wink

Jake Shields will be violated next month Oz style.

Back to top Go down

Post  Deeznutz Fri Mar 11, 2011 6:27 pm

LOL, the ground game will be interesting if it goes there, but this is a fight GSP probably wants standing.

Deeznutz

Back to top Go down

Post  freakzilla Fri Mar 11, 2011 9:33 pm

Gumby is completely right. Anderson Silva has the size to compete at LHW better than GSP at MW. Why aren't people saying Anderson has to fight the Rua-Jones winner to prove himself?
freakzilla
freakzilla

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Fri Mar 11, 2011 10:31 pm

freakzilla wrote:Gumby is completely right. Anderson Silva has the size to compete at LHW better than GSP at MW. Why aren't people saying Anderson has to fight the Rua-Jones winner to prove himself?

Because Silva's already the P4P king who's undefeated in the UFC. In the immortal words of Charlie Sheen... Anderson Silva is WINNING !!!

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next