The Boxing Palace
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Those amazing "Blubber Bombers."

3 posters

Go down

Those amazing "Blubber Bombers."  Empty Those amazing "Blubber Bombers."

Post  Frank Fri Nov 05, 2010 8:49 am

Maybe it's guilt over ignoring the fat kid at school, or never looking at a heavy set babe as a possible date. What ever the reason, I get a kick out of fat fighters.

I'll agree that most big gut gladiators are horrible to watch. However, when you find that one that can really fight, it looks a little surreal. Funny and inspiring are two descriptions they bring to mind. Here are a few examples of some beer drinkers that could do a little damage.

1. James Tony. Tony's fight against “Samuel Peter” still lingers in my mind. One look at Tony and I was sure Peter was actually going to kill him. Tony looked like a retired wrestling fan or a lazy couch potato. Nevertheless, Tony showed his disgusting physique with pride and stated his infamous phrase, "This ain't body building." On this night, Tony put on one of the most entertaining displays of boxing, charisma and heart I had ever witnessed in the sweet science. Though he got the short end of a bad decision, his elusive display of defense and counterpunching did not go unnoticed.

2. Tony Galento. "I'll mudah da bum." This was one determined blob of a fighter. "Jabah the Hut" of the Heavyweights. (Calling Galento a HW seems oxymoronic.) Fought some of the most dangerous fighters of his day with an angry arrogance that would not be denied. Actually knocked down the great "Joe Louis" with a left hook. (Let's not talk about what happened when Joe got up. At least not in detail.) Following the fight ( I believe Louis took him out in 4 rounds.), a defiant Galento called Louis, "A lucky bum." When asked how hard the left hook was that put him on the floor, Louis stated, "It knocked me down. It was hard enough." When he wasn't wrestling Octopuses or boxing Bears and Kangaroos, the other Heavies he fought were Max Bear and Lou Nova (whom he engaged in a classic battle with.).

3. George Foreman. Everyone's favorite "Ham Burglar." Watching George get old right before my eyes before taking out Michael Moore was a gem of a sight. Could another sport produce a George Foreman? Argue as much as you like, but I'm still waiting. (You "George Blanda" fans should put in a little thought before you answer that question.) As strange as it sounds, I don't believe George's record of being the oldest HW Champ in history will last that long when compared to other amazing records. (He was 45.). Science and training diets (If followed correctly) will allow more boxers to age gracefully. That said, they won't look anything like "Big George Foreman." George, who actually looked older than 45 with that middle aged gut of his, was a bit of a power savant. One of those guys who have the ability to do things that most other people simply cannot do. (Note: For those of you who are trying to be boxing champs at 45, you'll fare better studying the training regimens of Bernard Hopkins.)

4. Honorable Mention: Butterbean. Prelim fighter. Never a threat to the title but I'll stick my neck out and say "Butterbean" was the most entertaining prelim fighter I ever saw. I don't care what fight I was waiting for. When Butterbean bought his fat, Alabama ass into the ring, he owned it. No, I never watched Butterbean fight without forgetting what fight I was actually waiting for. In today's world of nightmare prelim fights, that says a lot.

I would challenge you to add fighters to the list, but I doubt anyone can. I'm not familiar with any others (Buster Mathis was boring but gets an honorable mention. Yes, I know he's arguably the best HW listed on here but not exactly "Mr. Exciting." The number one rule (From where I sit) is that these guys have to be entertaining in order not to be too hard on the eyes. Buster doesn't meet that description.)

If you can add more fighters to this list, (Flabby fighters, Juan Diaz for example, are not eligible. I'm talking blimps.) please do.

Last edited by Frank on Fri Nov 05, 2010 9:19 am; edited 4 times in total

Frank

Back to top Go down

Those amazing "Blubber Bombers."  Empty Re: Those amazing "Blubber Bombers."

Post  Guest Fri Nov 05, 2010 8:54 am

I agree Frank that Toney should have gotten the decision in the first Peter fight. I had James clearly and comfortably ahead.

Back to top Go down

Post  Frank Fri Nov 05, 2010 9:00 am

Canvas wrote:I agree Frank that Toney should have gotten the decision in the first Peter fight. I had James clearly and comfortably ahead.
Hey Canvas, thanks for the reply. Where the hell have you been? Well, that's none of my business but I'm glad to have you back.

Frank

Back to top Go down

Post  Soonermark890 Fri Nov 05, 2010 9:09 am

The bean was awesome. Its true about you forgetting what fight you were waiting on. I loved that guy.
Soonermark890
Soonermark890
Admin

https://theboxingpalace.forumotion.com

Back to top Go down

Post  Frank Fri Nov 05, 2010 9:15 am

Soonermark890 wrote:The bean was awesome. Its true about you forgetting what fight you were waiting on. I loved that guy.
He was loads of fun. How's your day going, Soonermark?

Frank

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Fri Nov 05, 2010 9:22 am

Thanks for your kind words Frank. Good to chat with you again.

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Sun Nov 07, 2010 1:25 am

frank good topic..yep butterbean was entertaining and enjoyable..galento was a street fighter .trained on beer in a bar he owned.still enjoyable for with tony anything goes.

Back to top Go down

Post  GrantZilla Sun Nov 07, 2010 2:07 am

I don't think it's fair to put Foreman in the blubber catigory. Even a chubby Foreman could still drag a VW bug behind him.

Let's see the rest of the fatties on that list do that
GrantZilla
GrantZilla

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Sun Nov 07, 2010 1:54 pm

I LOVED Butterbean!!!!

I dunno about George Foreman here. I mean yeah he was heavy, especially early in the comeback, but wasn't some of that schtick?

Back to top Go down

Post  Frank Sun Nov 07, 2010 2:15 pm

GrantZilla wrote:I don't think it's fair to put Foreman in the blubber catigory. Even a chubby Foreman could still drag a VW bug behind him.

Let's see the rest of the fatties on that list do that
I didn't see this as a negative cagtegory to belong to. Let's face it. George was fat. He also became the HW Champ his own way. Sure, he was in good fighting shape. So was Toney. He never ran out of gas against Peter. George was one of the strongest men in the world and he had a very large gut which most people define as fat. He's the king of the blubber bombers.

Frank

Back to top Go down

Post  Frank Sun Nov 07, 2010 2:16 pm

marbleheadmaui wrote:I LOVED Butterbean!!!!

I dunno about George Foreman here. I mean yeah he was heavy, especially early in the comeback, but wasn't some of that schtick?
Marble, he was fat.

Frank

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Sun Nov 07, 2010 2:21 pm

Frank wrote:

Marble, he was fat.

Maybe I've been looking at Chris Arreola too long!

Back to top Go down

Post  Frank Sun Nov 07, 2010 2:23 pm

marbleheadmaui wrote:
Frank wrote:

Marble, he was fat.

Maybe I've been looking at Chris Arreola too long!
I think that George was great, great ,great and fat, fat, fat. I meant everything I said about him as a compliment.

Frank

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down