The Boxing Palace
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Rumors Greenberg and Davis are on their way out

4 posters

Go down

Rumors Greenberg and Davis are on their way out Empty Rumors Greenberg and Davis are on their way out

Post  GrantZilla Wed Mar 09, 2011 6:59 pm

It has become common wisdom, both internally and outside of HBO, that Ross Greenburg, the president of HBO Sports, and Kerry Davis, a vice president within that arm of the parent company, are on their way out.

Fueling the immediacy of that suggestion is the fact that Richard Plepler, co-president of HBO, and Michael Lombardo, the man to whom Greenburg reports, are completing a fact-finding mission about why the network’s entire boxing program is in such disregard.

They question the competence and boxing knowledge of HBO Sports.

Much of the problem deals with the fact that Greenburg gives out dates to certain promoters, most notably Oscar De La Hoya’s Golden Boy Productions, without a specific fighter or fight as part of that contract.

Since Golden Boy is not loaded with quality fighters, it is widely believed within boxing that people within Greenburg’s orbit have encouraged other fighters to sign with Golden Boy.

‘‘In the beginning before HBO moved into so many areas, boxing,” says Arum, ‘‘led the way. Boxing became the HBO brand. Now boxing has trashed what that stands for.

‘‘Are you saying that HBO has been bad for boxing,” I asked them.

‘‘Absolutely, and bad for the public as well,’’ King says.

‘‘You sound as though this is personal.’’

‘‘Absolutely,” he said. ‘‘They want to get rid of promoters like Bob and me. That’s what this is about. They want to let advisers come to them with a fight and then they hire a promoter at an outrageous price who doesn’t put anything into the promotion. no publicity."

‘‘We are fighting to take back the business and put it back in the hands of professionals. That’s why this fight in on Showtime, which is owned by CBS, and the CBS-TV network will promote as will 160 of its radio stations. They gave us billboards in Times Square and Sunset Boulevard.”

‘‘Well, here’s why we got together,” Arum interjected.

‘‘First, we both needed a fight.

‘‘Second, this is a good fight. HBO Sports might not understand that, but when two guys go toe-to-toe it’s what boxing is about and this is what boxing fans, who are very smart, know without being told.

‘‘ These people (HBO Sports) enable a boxing ‘adviser’ like Al Haymon to negotiate deals for guys nobody would buy tickets to see but that fits into the way they run their business.

‘‘What we are saying is not about HBO, the parent company. There are brilliant people running it. It’s about HBO Sports and HBO Sports has trashed this sport. Don and I are fighting for survival. This fight is the first step. It will generate terrific excitement when they go toe-to-toe. You asked me about a change in HBO Sports and until or unless it happens I cannot comment on that, but I will say this:

“They (HBO Sports) want promoters whom they can tell when to fight and where to fight and control it. You don’t make great fights that way. You can’t be lazy and arrogant. You have to work like hell. So in this fight we are going to take this business and put it back in the hands of the promoters and the public where it belongs.’’

Incompetence and laziness are things they cannot be accused of.

The same cannot be said of HBO Sports.

http://www.nj.com/sports/njsports/index.ssf/2011/03/izenberg_two_of_boxings_finest.html
GrantZilla
GrantZilla

Back to top Go down

Rumors Greenberg and Davis are on their way out Empty Re: Rumors Greenberg and Davis are on their way out

Post  gomez1012 Wed Mar 09, 2011 7:12 pm

WOOOOOOOOOOOOOO! What a Face
gomez1012
gomez1012

Back to top Go down

Rumors Greenberg and Davis are on their way out Empty Re: Rumors Greenberg and Davis are on their way out

Post  GrantZilla Wed Mar 09, 2011 7:14 pm

Davis is gone for sure. And I think most be shocked if Greenburg is still working for HBO Sports by the end of the year.

3-1 says it happens soon after Pac-Mosley fight, especialy if the fight becomes a huge success. HBO want to get rid of Greenburg to try and get Pac back
GrantZilla
GrantZilla

Back to top Go down

Post  gomez1012 Wed Mar 09, 2011 7:17 pm

GrantZilla wrote:Davis is gone for sure. And I think most be shocked if Greenburg is still working for HBO Sports by the end of the year.

3-1 says it happens soon after Pac-Mosley fight, especialy if the fight becomes a huge success. HBO want to get rid of Greenburg to try and get Pac back

If your HBO would you still go for Pac?

I mean he's near the end but why put your efforts in one fighter when you could put the focus back where it should be, quality fights every weekend possible!

gomez1012
gomez1012

Back to top Go down

Post  GrantZilla Wed Mar 09, 2011 7:25 pm

gomez1012 wrote:If your HBO would you still go for Pac?

I mean he's near the end but why put your efforts in one fighter when you could put the focus back where it should be, quality fights every weekend possible!

Definitly. But it's PR. Pac going to HBO's rival Showtime been huge blow to them PR wise. Basicaly made it well known that HBO is slipping. Even HBO defenders can no longer deny it.

Mainstream sport's media now picked up on incompetance of HBO, where before was just boxing media, mainly Hauser.
GrantZilla
GrantZilla

Back to top Go down

Post  gomez1012 Wed Mar 09, 2011 7:39 pm

GrantZilla wrote:
Definitly. But it's PR. Pac going to HBO's rival Showtime been huge blow to them PR wise. Basicaly made it well known that HBO is slipping. Even HBO defenders can no longer deny it.

Mainstream sport's media now picked up on incompetance of HBO, where before was just boxing media, mainly Hauser.

Yea but no point in overpaying Pac when your trying to build your brand back up

Invest on Martinez, Gamboa, Rios, Andrade, Cloud, Canelo etc

Guys with fan friendly styles
gomez1012
gomez1012

Back to top Go down

Post  GrantZilla Wed Mar 09, 2011 7:44 pm

They're not going to over-pay Pac, because Pac is a PPV diva and only fights on PPV. So Pac fights don't dip into HBO's budget. Hell, HBO doesn't even pay for 24/7s, the promoters do.

One of many selling points that lured Arum to Showtime-CBS was Arum would pay for the Fight Camp, but he could pocket the add money on CBS when it shows.

GrantZilla
GrantZilla

Back to top Go down

Post  gomez1012 Wed Mar 09, 2011 7:49 pm

GrantZilla wrote:They're not going to over-pay Pac, because Pac is a PPV diva and only fights on PPV. So Pac fights don't dip into HBO's budget. Hell, HBO doesn't even pay for 24/7s, the promoters do.

One of many selling points that lured Arum to Showtime-CBS was Arum would pay for the Fight Camp, but he could pocket the add money on CBS when it shows.

Good points, well still going to be tough to pry Arum away from CBS because of huge platform they offer

better off putting your resources on quality fights in each division
gomez1012
gomez1012

Back to top Go down

Post  GrantZilla Wed Mar 09, 2011 7:51 pm

Yup. End GBP out put deal, and do what Showtime does, pay for the best fights, not "names."

I know it's pure delusional hope on my part new managment let's Kellerman and co ignore ABC belts too.

GrantZilla
GrantZilla

Back to top Go down

Post  Frank Wed Mar 09, 2011 8:01 pm

Grant, I agree with all your critiques concerning HBO. I was their biggest critic at one time but I've grown tired of talking about them. I would jump back on the anti HBO crusade, but you're doing a good job.

Frank

Back to top Go down

Post  GrantZilla Wed Mar 09, 2011 8:07 pm

gomez1012 wrote:[Good points, well still going to be tough to pry Arum away from CBS because of huge platform they offer

Thing is, HBO can have a bigger platform then Showtime-CBS. They are fucking owned by Time-Warner for christ sake. From reports, DuBoeuf had been pushing Greenburg for a while to expand their platform, which Greenburg refused to do. That is, until Arum moved Pac to Showtime-CBS.

There is no reason why 24/7 or Countdown couldn't be shown on TNT or other Turner stations. Fuck, Time-Warner owns SI, which tries it's best to ignore the fact boxing exists. The fact Pac never even been on the cover of SI is a joke.
GrantZilla
GrantZilla

Back to top Go down

Post  gomez1012 Wed Mar 09, 2011 8:14 pm

GrantZilla wrote:
Thing is, HBO can have a bigger platform then Showtime-CBS. They are fucking owned by Time-Warner for christ sake. From reports, DuBoeuf had been pushing Greenburg for a while to expand their platform, which Greenburg refused to do. That is, until Arum moved Pac to Showtime-CBS.

There is no reason why 24/7 or Countdown couldn't be shown on TNT or other Turner stations. Fuck, Time-Warner owns SI, which tries it's best to ignore the fact boxing exists. The fact Pac never even been on the cover of SI is a joke.

True but even then they couldnt match the amount of homes CBS is in

Thats the key, TNT/TBS on cable, CBS everybody has
gomez1012
gomez1012

Back to top Go down

Post  GrantZilla Wed Mar 09, 2011 8:21 pm

Yeah, but network TV not as big as it use to be. Most people have basic cable. All about appealing to core demographics now. TNT for example draws in big casual sporting fans. So having say a Countdown after a big NBA game would probably produce as good ratings if it was on CBS.

Mostly women watch network TV. Male demographic 18-35 been on decline on network TV for years. Why most network TV shows are all chick shows. Most men watch sports on basic cable.

Why it was good idea on CBS's part to air Fight Camp during March MAdness, since that will lure in male viewers.
GrantZilla
GrantZilla

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Wed Mar 09, 2011 8:51 pm

^ ^ ^ The thing is, Now that over-the-air conventional broadcasters have all converted from analog to digital, millions of people are ditching cable because the typical US market can pick up 20 crytal clear, HD channels with a roof mounted UHF antenna for free. CBS, ABC, NBC, FOX, CW, and PBS will still reach more homes than even basic cable.

I agree Davis is as good as gone. I think Greenburg will be re-assigned from HBO sports back to being an entertainment/documentary producer

Back to top Go down

Post  dbudge Thu Mar 10, 2011 2:00 pm

i hate that HBO has to always put on a rival show the same night as Showtime. that's bad for Boxing as there's less nights of quality boxing when they could be spreading the schedule out picking up more reliable viewers along the way. if they did a big show the week after Showtime then they'd ensure having an exclusive product to offer to a larger audience after boxing is already fresh on everybody's minds and in their thoughts. i think putting shows on the same night is very short-sighted by HBO. i hate that you wait 2 months for a big fight and then there's 3 on the same night or something like that. then the other 2 months are bare until HBO decide to go head to head with Showtime solely because it's a rival company trying to sell the same product. Boxing fans don't have loyalty to TV networks, they have a loyalty to Boxing and good quality fights. The people running HBO need to realise that

dbudge

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Thu Mar 10, 2011 3:28 pm

Good news.

Don King was just being bitter in that article though, it's not HBO's fault that he's become an extremely lazy promoter.

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down