The Boxing Palace
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

HBO eyes the new "Berto"

+2
GrantZilla
gomez1012
6 posters

Go down

HBO eyes the new "Berto" Empty HBO eyes the new "Berto"

Post  gomez1012 Mon Jan 03, 2011 5:21 pm

http://www.boxingscene.com/?m=show&opt=printable&id=34353

Southpaw former Olympian and current junior middleweight prospect Demetrius Andrade, 22-years-old, of Providence, R.I., will pursue his 12th victory without a loss and his ninth knockout on Jan. 7 when he makes his Las Vegas debut against Alberto Herrera (7-1-1, five KOs) of Riverside, Calif., on the undercard of a main event featuring 26-year-old Russian junior middleweight Ruslan Provodnikov (17-0, 11 KOs) against Mauricio Herrera (15-1, seven KOs) at The Cox Pavillion on ESPN2's "Friday Night Fights."

"I've never even been to Las Vegas before, so, yeah, this will be my first time ever being there," said Andrade. "But Vegas is where most of the big fights are, and that's where I want to make my mark on Jan. 7. I want to let everyone know that this is where I belong."

Signed and promoted by Banner Promotions' Artie Pelullo and Star Boxing's Joe DeGuardia after a highly decorated amateur career, the 6-foot-1 Andrade turned professional in October of 2008 by stopping his first of four straight rivals in four rounds or less.

Pellulo, who also co-promotes champions Sergei Dzinziruk and Dmitry Pirog, sees Andrade as the next star of American boxing.

"Demetrius is only 22 years old, but he has made a very good transition from the amateurs to the pros. So even though he's already 11-0 with eight knockouts, he's still a young guy, and as far as we're concerned, he's on the right path," said Pelullo.

"If everything goes the way that we anticipate that it's going to go, Demetrius is going to be a star for many years to come. Right now, he's going to be the opening bout on ESPN, and this is the first show of the new year, and they chose for him to be in that position. They wanted him on that card, which says a lot about what they think of his skills."

"Let me tell you what [HBO's Sports Senior Vice President] Kery Davis always tells me, and you'll love this. After every conversation that I have with Kery Davis about [Dmitry] Pirog and [Sergei] Dzinziruk and HBO, he tells that they're waiting for Demetrius. That's what he always tells me. They know, like I know, that Demetrius is the next big American star."

Mad Mad Mad

"Tell me Im the best!!"
-Boo Boo Andrade
gomez1012
gomez1012

Back to top Go down

HBO eyes the new "Berto" Empty Re: HBO eyes the new "Berto"

Post  GrantZilla Mon Jan 03, 2011 6:58 pm

Heh, what a shocker. HBO desperate for a black American star.

Andrade needs to keep fighting in Rhode Island and try get a fight in Boston. Boston media is huge. Get a solid fanbase.

Don't be another Paul Williams who's from Georgia and off fighting most his fights in Arizona and Cali.

Boxing doesn't need another guy like Williams and Dawson who can't draw shit.
GrantZilla
GrantZilla

Back to top Go down

Post  captainanddew Mon Jan 03, 2011 7:06 pm

GrantZilla wrote:Heh, what a shocker. HBO desperate for a black American star.

Andrade needs to keep fighting in Rhode Island and try get a fight in Boston. Boston media is huge. Get a solid fanbase.

Don't be another Paul Williams who's from Georgia and off fighting most his fights in Arizona and Cali.

so true, he needs to fight in the northeast and fight often!!!!
captainanddew
captainanddew

Back to top Go down

Post  GrantZilla Mon Jan 03, 2011 7:16 pm

Yup. Worse things these propsects and promoters do is basicaly chase TV dates. Fuck that. New England is a huge market and media. Andrade needs be off doing local TV and radio interviews. Hyping up a fight in Boston or Providence. Build a solid fanbase.

Look Adamek. He doesn't rely on TV dates because got a solid fanbase. If network doesn't want the fight, fine. They'll just show it online. That's why he can stay active.
GrantZilla
GrantZilla

Back to top Go down

Post  hardcorebee24 Mon Jan 03, 2011 8:49 pm

He should be on every Manfredo card at the Dunkin Donuts center in PVD. He should be fighting on every card possible at Foxwoods or Mohegan Sun. He should be on every card available from New Bedford to Worcester. Sad thing is, he'll be on two cards a year in Vegas and that's it. What a waste for us fans.
hardcorebee24
hardcorebee24

Back to top Go down

Post  GrantZilla Mon Jan 03, 2011 8:52 pm

hardcorebee24 wrote:He should be on every Manfredo card at the Dunkin Donuts center in PVD. He should be fighting on every card possible at Foxwoods or Mohegan Sun. He should be on every card available from New Bedford to Worcester. Sad thing is, he'll be on two cards a year in Vegas and that's it. What a waste for us fans.

Yup, and idiot promoters wonder why their fighters can't draw, and why got fights in half empty casinios.

It's a joke what it is.

Why I've never given shit for Ward to fight at home if he can, especialy if it's against guys that don't got a homecrowd.

Why I said guys like Dawson have no room to decide loctations, because they can't draw anybody.
GrantZilla
GrantZilla

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Tue Jan 04, 2011 1:41 am

What's wrong with HBO showing interest in a former amateur world champion who represented America in the Olympics ?

Back to top Go down

Post  GrantZilla Tue Jan 04, 2011 2:21 am

Ali wrote:What's wrong with HBO showing interest in a former amateur world champion who represented America in the Olympics ?

HBO should be paying for the best fights, not trying to build up stars. Time and time again, it has failed, and equeled poor ratings, ect.

The stars will be made through the best match-ups. Look at Martinez. To HBO, Martinez just suppose to be some chump for Williams to fight. And then Pavlik. Look at Piroq. HBO was hyping up Daniel Jacobs, who come from the same circumstances as Andrade. Of course Maidana.

FNF, Club Fight, Showbox is where these guys should be fighting to build themselves up. Not HBO. Showbox is notorious for matching young prospects with tough fights. Why it works.

GrantZilla
GrantZilla

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Tue Jan 04, 2011 2:24 am

If HBO are just planning to give Andrade spots on undercards or on HBO BAD I won't complain.

Back to top Go down

Post  GrantZilla Tue Jan 04, 2011 2:35 am

Ali wrote:If HBO are just planning to give Andrade spots on undercards or on HBO BAD I won't complain.

I won't either. But promoters should look at how Ward has been handled. That's how you properly build up a fighter. Build a solid fanbase in your home town first, then chase the TV money. But don't forget your fans, and have as many big fights as can there.

Why overseas fighters are successful. They fight in front of their homecrowds. US is huge. So even though a fight is in the US, doesn't mean it's your crowd. States are pretty much seperate countries. So these idiot promoters that have their East Coast fighters fighting in Cali, they might as well be fighting in Romiania.

GrantZilla
GrantZilla

Back to top Go down

Post  Diego408 Tue Jan 04, 2011 11:52 am

Williams cant draw because hes a black fighter fighting across the country form where he originally is from. A Black fighter fighting in Lation regions isnt going very well (LA and LV all though hes had success in Altantic City). WE NEED MORE FIGHTERS LIKE WILLIAMS! We need less fighters like Berto, Dirrell and Mayweather. Unless Andrade is fighting guys like Vanes and Angulo on HBO out of thegate, anything less than that he belongs on ESPN 2 or Shobox.
Diego408
Diego408

Back to top Go down

Post  Tobe Tue Jan 04, 2011 12:07 pm

Diego408 wrote:

Williams cant draw because hes a black fighter fighting across the country form where he originally is from. A Black fighter fighting in Lation regions isnt going very well (LA and LV all though hes had success in Altantic City). WE NEED MORE FIGHTERS LIKE WILLIAMS! We need less fighters like Berto, Dirrell and Mayweather. Unless Andrade is fighting guys like Vanes and Angulo on HBO out of thegate, anything less than that he belongs on ESPN 2 or Shobox.

I'm not sure it has much to do with him being black, the real issue is taking a guy out of his home area and promoting him in a different part of the country. It's not rocket science that fans want to see hometown guys. And he's right that Vegas is where the big fights happen, but he's not going to be in "big fights" until he makes a name for himself. Stay home, do that and then worry about Vegas.
Tobe
Tobe

Back to top Go down

Post  Diego408 Tue Jan 04, 2011 12:09 pm

Tobe wrote:
Diego408 wrote:

I'm not sure it has much to do with him being black, the real issue is taking a guy out of his home area and promoting him in a different part of the country. It's not rocket science that fans want to see hometown guys. And he's right that Vegas is where the big fights happen, but he's not going to be in "big fights" until he makes a name for himself. Stay home, do that and then worry about Vegas.
Latino fans only root from Latino fighters, but youre right. he needs to establish a fan base somehwhere and thats at home. He should have a few comeback fight in DC.
Diego408
Diego408

Back to top Go down

Post  gomez1012 Tue Jan 04, 2011 12:52 pm

Does Andrade even belong on HBO at this point?

Unless he fights a serious opponent at 154/160, fuck no

He's faced nothing but tomato cans, stick to FNFs or go face a tougher test on ShoBox
gomez1012
gomez1012

Back to top Go down

Post  GrantZilla Tue Jan 04, 2011 7:30 pm

Tobe wrote:And he's right that Vegas is where the big fights happen, but he's not going to be in "big fights" until he makes a name for himself. Stay home, do that and then worry about Vegas.

Aw, fuck Vegas. They've ruined boxing, taking the fights away from fans and catering to bunch suits and high rollers.

Now it's a ghost town because Vegas is Ground Zero for the recession. You want to fight in a empty casinio, go have the fight in Vegas.

You build up a solid fanbase, and you can have more leverage where the fight is held.
GrantZilla
GrantZilla

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum