The Boxing Palace
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Terrible year in the NFL

+2
Frank
GrantZilla
6 posters

Go down

Terrible year in the NFL Empty Terrible year in the NFL

Post  GrantZilla Mon Dec 27, 2010 1:27 am

Only highlight for me is seeing my Raiders improve. But fact that Kansas City is going to the play-offs is sickening.

No team in NFC West deserves to go to the play offs. Medicre Jets going to play-offs.

And as much as I hate saying this, the only good team in the NFL right now is New England. Rest are medicre at best.

Steelers are medicre. Cowboys suck. Giants suck. Vikings suck. Bears are medicre. Eagles are only above medicre with Michael Vick show.

GrantZilla
GrantZilla

Back to top Go down

Terrible year in the NFL Empty Re: Terrible year in the NFL

Post  Guest Mon Dec 27, 2010 2:00 am

Agree with 2010 being a down year. It may be what happens when the rules are so changed to favor QB's and then the entire league only has eight really good QB's for 32 teams. Brady, Manning, Vick, Ryan, Rivers Brees, Ben and Rodgers. The rest are no better than ok.

Back to top Go down

Post  GrantZilla Mon Dec 27, 2010 4:09 am

Definitly that, add on talent all being spread too thin. Where got nothing but incomplete teams, instead all around good ones. Teams with good offense, but terrible defenses, vice versa.

I dunno. I think NFL is in for a reality check if things don't improve. They gotten too comfortable that the on the field product is suffering.
GrantZilla
GrantZilla

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Mon Dec 27, 2010 4:24 am

GrantZilla wrote:Definitly that, add on talent all being spread too thin. Where got nothing but incomplete teams, instead all around good ones. Teams with good offense, but terrible defenses, vice versa.

I dunno. I think NFL is in for a reality check if things don't improve. They gotten too comfortable that the on the field product is suffering.

Football is one of those games where Guys need to play together for long periods to really get to a peak. I mean 3-4 year. With free agency it happens less and less. great players don't always equal great teams. Time together is almost always necessary.

Back to top Go down

Post  Frank Mon Dec 27, 2010 8:56 am

GrantZilla wrote:Only highlight for me is seeing my Raiders improve. But fact that Kansas City is going to the play-offs is sickening.

No team in NFC West deserves to go to the play offs. Medicre Jets going to play-offs.

And as much as I hate saying this, the only good team in the NFL right now is New England. Rest are medicre at best.

Steelers are medicre. Cowboys suck. Giants suck. Vikings suck. Bears are medicre. Eagles are only above medicre with Michael Vick show.

My preseason pick for the SB was NE vs. GB so I appreciate Bill B,s good, hard common sense. However, as far as good teams go, you forgot to mention the 12-2 "Atlanta Falcons." I had to say that. As much as I'd like to get out of Atlanta, I have to say that "Mike Smith" is an excellent football coach. He knows how to build a team. (I still don't believe I made my first accurate pre season pick for the SB, yet I'm not going to see a dime for it. Damnit, I wish I lived in Vegas.)

As far as this being a bad year in the NFL, I'll agree 100 percent. This is the worst year for defense I've ever seen.

Frank

Back to top Go down

Post  Frank Mon Dec 27, 2010 8:57 am

marbleheadmaui wrote:
GrantZilla wrote:Definitly that, add on talent all being spread too thin. Where got nothing but incomplete teams, instead all around good ones. Teams with good offense, but terrible defenses, vice versa.

Football is one of those games where Guys need to play together for long periods to really get to a peak. I mean 3-4 year. With free agency it happens less and less. great players don't always equal great teams. Time together is almost always necessary.
My thoughts exactly. You hit the nail on the head.

Frank

Back to top Go down

Post  Gumby Sat Jan 08, 2011 1:31 am

marbleheadmaui wrote:Agree with 2010 being a down year. It may be what happens when the rules are so changed to favor QB's and then the entire league only has eight really good QB's for 32 teams. Brady, Manning, Vick, Ryan, Rivers Brees, Ben and Rodgers. The rest are no better than ok.

JASH FREEMAN!
Gumby
Gumby

Back to top Go down

Post  captainanddew Sat Jan 08, 2011 9:58 pm

Marble, Big Bum sucks. Don't ever lump him in with the few good QBs in the league.
captainanddew
captainanddew

Back to top Go down

Post  GrantZilla Sat Jan 08, 2011 10:06 pm

captainanddew wrote:Marble, Big Bum sucks. Don't ever lump him in with the few good QBs in the league.

Big Ben may be a disgusting human being off the field, but he does not suck. I've never seen a QB keep plays going by throwing off three defenders. Dude is a monster.
GrantZilla
GrantZilla

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Sun Jan 09, 2011 9:32 am

the year yes has been disappointing for sure..the soo called dominate team some feel isnt there.ill disagree with that.a few teams like green bay had injuries not only to starters but key players in both defense and offense..that took away 1 team that would of been dominate..there are some pitafull QBS in the league no doubt..but the so called ok ones like cutler a developing sanchez and a few others are more then capable of getting to the super bowl or winning it..there even better then some that did..does doug williams joe kapp earl morral come to mind..
in vicks last year i think atlanta was a loser.they developed into a viable contender the past few years without him..vick was a much publisized star and had his reputation as a QB based on in my mind as potential instead of reality..this year has been his break threw year and that potential is starting to become a reality.one year does not make him a elite QB..before that he never tossed over 20 tds in a single season and rarely threw for 200 yards in a game.those yardsticks are for a average quaterback..he flunked doing that.
a team that could be a sleeper is the lions..yeah 6-10..the first game they got robbed in a last second call..they played well enough where maybe 4 or 5 breaks in the entire season if went there way they could of been 11-5...
i agree its a disgrace that a 7-9 teams makes the playoffs and even worse gets to host a home game..
most players especialy stars at there best are signed to 4 or 5 year contracts..there with a team long enough to develope that sinc..many like manning farve steve smith LT and others have either played there entire career with one team or there entire prime in general with one team.
the product is there.the players are there..injuries are part of the product but this year its been awfull..the nfl is heading in the wrong direction in thinking 18 games.we will saee more injuries and less quality in the long run..its foolish thoughts of expanding to europe will also delute the game and with a 18 game seasopn and travel time will add in grewat numbers the injuries.
maybe its time to rethink there product..first expansion and 32 teams has deluted quality..it showed the past few years with several teams like carolina the lions the rams of last year cincinatti etc etc..
simply there too much product out there..they wont seek a viable anser because that anser is to eliminate 4 teams..make it 28..14 in each league and 2 seven team divsions.having 8 is a fucking joke.the two winners and 2 of the very best teams that dont win there divsion are in the playoffs.8 teams total not 12..this will gaurentee we will never see a 7-9 team again nor a 8-8 team again..no byes.the elite will play the elite..far morew quality and balance can be gotten by dumping 4 teams..it will never happen.
the 18 game season the european expansion is more likely to happen..more is better BS..
in time they will destroy the goose that laid the golden egg..this season shows its coming.

Back to top Go down

Post  Tobe Mon Jan 10, 2011 11:59 am

It'll be interesting to see if there is a lock-out next season, that may actually lead to some changes. But I wouldn't count on anything that: A) Reduces the flexibility of free agents to move between teams; or B) Takes away TV money (e.g. fewer teams, fewer playoff games, etc.)

Most likely they'll reduce the preseason and go to an 18 game schedule. That'll probably mean more injuries, especially to the few marquee guys left, as offensive lines will get even less time to play together and gel without putting your money QB at risk. In the end they'll probably try to protect the revenue by making even more lame rule changes to the point where the QB will be playing touch football.
Tobe
Tobe

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Mon Jan 10, 2011 12:12 pm

tobe whatever they choze and im sure a 18 game thing is one but whatever it is will be the wrong choice.yes fewer teams and 1 playoff game less may equal the same type of revenue shared in actual dollars to players because the decrease of money is offset by 4 less teams and players sharing the pot..a lockout and or a unrealistic new labor contract will result in franchises folding due to economic circumstances anyway.
there is a limit to revinew..how many times are you going to raise ticket prices or parking fees or soon to be 10 dollar hot dog...more games equal more injuries and again bringing in second or third string guys to fill the void and with 32 teams your heading towards disaster...plus keep paying high level drafts choices who have proven nothing zero more then established players and stars...a cap on that is a must or again your heading down the road to financial ruin...leinart young quinn reggie bust not bush the joke QB rookie from carolina..we can go on and on in that stupidity..they will continue to fuck up the game..

Back to top Go down

Post  Tobe Mon Jan 10, 2011 12:29 pm

dmar5143 wrote:tobe whatever they choze and im sure a 18 game thing is one but whatever it is will be the wrong choice.yes fewer teams and 1 playoff game less may equal the same type of revenue shared in actual dollars to players because the decrease of money is offset by 4 less teams and players sharing the pot..a lockout and or a unrealistic new labor contract will result in franchises folding due to economic circumstances anyway.
there is a limit to revinew..how many times are you going to raise ticket prices or parking fees or soon to be 10 dollar hot dog...more games equal more injuries and again bringing in second or third string guys to fill the void and with 32 teams your heading towards disaster...plus keep paying high level drafts choices who have proven nothing zero more then established players and stars...a cap on that is a must or again your heading down the road to financial ruin...leinart young quinn reggie bust not bush the joke QB rookie from carolina..we can go on and on in that stupidity..they will continue to fuck up the game..

Yeah, you're right that some of these franchises are already in trouble. They get what, 6,000 people in the stands for a Jacksonville game? The players are only one side of the table there too - owners aren't gonna do anything that hurts their revenues either. I'd have no problem dropping some franchies but I don't see it actually happening. More likely you'll see relocation (LA anyone?).

I agree with reducing rookie contracts but that's an issue for the NCAA as well. These kids play for free for three or four years and risk gettting hurt and never seeing a cent from the NFL. They should get paid fairly when they sign with an NFL team; but to me those contracts should be incentive-heavy. Prove you can play at this level and earn your money.

BTW - As an Irish fan I feel bad for Jimmy Clausen in Carolina. Kid got thrown to the wolves on a bad team with no weapons and no protection.
Tobe
Tobe

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Mon Jan 10, 2011 1:03 pm

tobe im a life long irish and penn state fan.

Back to top Go down

Post  Tobe Mon Jan 10, 2011 1:06 pm

dmar5143 wrote:tobe im a life long irish and penn state fan.

Nice! cheers Watching Notre Dame lay a beating on Miami made my New Years! I'm hopeful for big things next season.

Respect for Penn State too - they do things the right way there.
Tobe
Tobe

Back to top Go down

Post  SlickMoney Wed Mar 09, 2011 2:31 pm

GrantZilla wrote:Only highlight for me is seeing my Raiders improve. But fact that Kansas City is going to the play-offs is sickening.

Lucky i wasnt on this board during this time. Grant would've been Embarassed
SlickMoney
SlickMoney

Back to top Go down

Post  GrantZilla Wed Mar 09, 2011 8:14 pm

Jets were nothing great. The Pats didn't show up to play. Simple as that. No different then the Saints not showing up to play against Seattle.

GrantZilla
GrantZilla

Back to top Go down

Post  SlickMoney Wed Mar 09, 2011 10:23 pm

Pats didnt show up to play in the Playoffs? A team with a QB and head coach that has won 3 rings didnt show up to play?

Jets have gone to the Conference championship game 2 years in a row. They went 2-1 versus the Pats this year. They've beaten Carson Palmer, Philip Rivers, Peyton Manning, and Tom Brady on the road in the playoffs. But they're mediocre.
SlickMoney
SlickMoney

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down