The Boxing Palace
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Russ Anber

Go down

Russ Anber Empty Russ Anber

Post  Tobe Mon Oct 25, 2010 3:57 pm

For those who don't know him, Russ Anber is one of the best known figures in Canadian boxing. Former Olympic coach he's been a cut man or trainer for most of the Montreal-based guys you can think of. Trained Gatti as a amatuer and has been around the game a long time. Currently he trains David Lemieux and is also in Jean Pascals' camp.

Here's a link to his blog on TSN (Canada's ESPN). He used to have a great boxing show on there weekly called "In This Corner" but it's been off the air for a while now.

http://www.tsn.ca/blogs/russ_anber/?id=338519

Last edited by Tobe on Mon Oct 25, 2010 11:04 pm; edited 1 time in total
Tobe
Tobe

Back to top Go down

Russ Anber Empty Re: Russ Anber

Post  Guest Mon Oct 25, 2010 4:51 pm

VERY cool. Thanks! I like that he values the frequency of fighting top guys.

Back to top Go down

Post  Tobe Mon Oct 25, 2010 7:18 pm

marbleheadmaui wrote:VERY cool. Thanks! I like that he values the frequency of fighting top guys.

Actually Marble you'd probably really like this guy's stuff. He's an old-school guy too. One the best parts of that "In This Corner" show was the banter between Russ and his co-host Darren "Dutchie" Dutchysen. Russ would go on about Benny Leonard (his favorite guy) and Dutch would call him "punchy" and change the subject to Roy Jones (who he loved). Then Russ would make some crack about Dutch being fat and they'd both agree George Chuvalo was great.

Anyway, hilarious stuff. They used to have some of the old postcasts of theirs on the TSN website; but I don't see them there now.
Tobe
Tobe

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Mon Oct 25, 2010 8:32 pm

Tobe wrote:
marbleheadmaui wrote:VERY cool. Thanks! I like that he values the frequency of fighting top guys.

Actually Marble you'd probably really like this guy's stuff. He's an old-school guy too. One the best parts of that "In This Corner" show was the banter between Russ and his co-host Darren "Dutchie" Dutchysen. Russ would go on about Benny Leonard (his favorite guy) and Dutch would call him "punchy" and change the subject to Roy Jones (who he loved). Then Russ would make some crack about Dutch being fat and they'd both agree George Chuvalo was great.

Anyway, hilarious stuff. They used to have some of the old postcasts of theirs on the TSN website; but I don't see them there now.

I'll bookmark them. Thanks!

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Mon Oct 25, 2010 8:55 pm

the fights held in canada have been attented by a good size crowd and very entusistic lovers of the sport..good.

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Mon Oct 25, 2010 9:01 pm

i never thought chuvalo was closed to great but a respectable contender who fought everyone and gave his all...hes a intelligent guy who courage outside the ring also.the heartbreak of losing 2 sons threw overdose and a wife threw suicide and he marches on visting school after school youth organizations retelling the dangers of drugs and education young folks about that and life...boxing as well as the world needs more chuvalos.

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Mon Oct 25, 2010 9:02 pm

in that era of boxing he was a favorite of mine.

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Mon Oct 25, 2010 9:03 pm

dmar5143 wrote:i never thought chuvalo was closed to great but a respectable contender who fought everyone and gave his all...hes a intelligent guy who courage outside the ring also.the heartbreak of losing 2 sons threw overdose and a wife threw suicide and he marches on visting school after school youth organizations retelling the dangers of drugs and education young folks about that and life...boxing as well as the world needs more chuvalos.

My Dad LOVES George Chuvalo. What a dramatic life (good and bad). EVERY sport needs more Chuvalo's.

Back to top Go down

Post  Tobe Mon Oct 25, 2010 9:06 pm

dmar5143 wrote:i never thought chuvalo was closed to great but a respectable contender who fought everyone and gave his all...hes a intelligent guy who courage outside the ring also.the heartbreak of losing 2 sons threw overdose and a wife threw suicide and he marches on visting school after school youth organizations retelling the dangers of drugs and education young folks about that and life...boxing as well as the world needs more chuvalos.

Oh, that's exactly what they mean - not a boxing "great" by any means; but a great man. Had the privilege to hear him speak and meet him a couple of times myself, a true tough guy in every sense and has helped a lot if young men in his life.

Last edited by Tobe on Mon Oct 25, 2010 11:22 pm; edited 1 time in total
Tobe
Tobe

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Mon Oct 25, 2010 9:43 pm

Tobe wrote:

Oh, that's exactly what they mean - not a boxing "great" by any means; but a great man. Had the privilage to hear him speak and meet him a couple of times myself, a true tough guy in ever sense and has helped a lot if young men in his life.

Tobe,

Have Montreal and Quebec City always been great fight towns? I remember Leonard-Duran of course but they never struck me as big fight towns until the last few years. Is it a new phenomenon or just another example of my ignorance?

Back to top Go down

Post  Tobe Mon Oct 25, 2010 10:16 pm

Montreal has been a big fight town for a long time. Large Italian community and a solid tradition of fighters and trainers. Also a great sports town in general - hockey of course but also baseball, football, soccer, auto racing, etc. In a lot of ways Montreal is probably the most "European" of any North American city; I think that has a lot to do with how guys like Bute and Diacanu have built real followings.

Seriously if anyone has a chance to come up and see a fight there I highly recommend it. Just a beautiful city in general and a great fight town too. Also, Montreal women are just amazing; like no where I've ever seen. Very Happy

And for any young guys on here the legal drinking age is 18; FYI.

Quebec City is a relative new comer to the big sporting scene; still a small city but has really embraced this current generation of Quebec boxing sucess.

Last edited by Tobe on Mon Oct 25, 2010 10:48 pm; edited 1 time in total
Tobe
Tobe

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Mon Oct 25, 2010 10:20 pm

Tobe wrote:Montreal has been a big fight town for a long time. Large Italian community and a solid tradition of fighters and trainers. Also a great sports town in general - hockey of course but also baseball, soccer, auto racing, etc. In a lot of ways Montreal is probably the most "European" of any North American city; I think that has a lot to do with how guys like Bute and Diacanu have built real followings.

Seriously if anyone has a chance to come up and see a fight there I highly recommend it. Just a beautiful city general and a great fight town too. Also, Montreal women are just amazing; like no where I've ever seen. Very Happy
And for any young guys on here the legal drinking age is 18; FYI.

Quebec City is a relative new comer to the big sporting scene; still small city but has really embraced this current generation of Quebec boxing sucess.

I second every single part of the bold. My first time in Montreal I almost broke my neck looking at her, ahem, natural adornments. I also have very fond memories (God being young, single and full of cash didn't stink) of a couple of weekends at the Ritz. I haven't been there in a decade, good to know things haven't changed.

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Mon Oct 25, 2010 10:27 pm

in my younger days i went to montreal 3 times..probably a 5 hour or so drive from my home town..i did have great enjoyment there and had a awsome time with the lovely women..i did visit toronto in the late seventies super bowl week rams-steelers..did a number on the royal york hotel and there still looking for me..p.s dont tell them where im at..

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum