The Boxing Palace
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Arum: Pac vs Cotto/Margarito winner in September

+3
GrantZilla
hardcorebee24
captainanddew
7 posters

Go down

Arum: Pac vs Cotto/Margarito winner in September Empty Arum: Pac vs Cotto/Margarito winner in September

Post  captainanddew Sun Dec 05, 2010 9:28 pm

from Boxingscene: if this article has any merit then Arum is really trying to piss off diehard boxing fans as much as possible. We'll get a Cotto or Margarito rematch for Pac in September after he beats the shot Mosley this Spring. This line of thinking is insulting.

Arum: Pacquiao vs. Cotto-Margarito Winner in September
Posted by: Lem Satterfield on 12-05-2010.

By Lem Satterfield

Top Rank's CEO Bob Arum has mapped out 2011 for two of his biggest stars, Manny Pacquiao and Miguel Cotto. This past Saturday in Anaheim, California, Arum met with Cotto and his team, and he spoke with Pacquiao's business adviser Michael Koncz. The way Arum has planned it out, Pacquiao would face Shane Mosley on April 16 at the MGM Grand in Las Vegas. The second step is a rematch between Cotto and Antonio Margarito for the month of June. The winner of Cotto-Margarito would become a frontrunner to face Pacquiao in September.

The preferable scenario is a rematch between Pacquiao and Cotto. They fought in November 2009, with Pacquiao stopping the Puerto Rican star in twelve rounds. Since the loss, Cotto hired trainer Emanuel Steward and moved up in weight to stop Yuri Foreman for the WBA 154-pound title.

Arum said that he is still considering a New York-based, June 11 doubleheader at the new Giants' Stadium that would rematch Cotto and Margarito with the co-feature being Foreman opposite junior middleweight and middleweight prospect Julio Cesar Chavez Jr. (40-0-1, 30 KOs).

"I talked with Cotto. And in my meeting with them, I told him, 'Hey, we've got to get you in a big fight -- not yet with Pacquiao -- and then, if you win the big fight, then we can do the rematch with Pacquiao.' So I think that everybody's on the same page," said Arum. "We're going to get the doctors' report on Margarito on Saturday, and then we'll know more about whether we can go with Margarito in June or a little earlier. It would be Margarito going right into a Cotto fight, and then, the winner of that fight, we might put into a rematch with Pacquiao in September. That's a big possibility. So, we'll see."

If Floyd Mayweather Jr. reaches out, he would be the obvious favorite to face Pacquiao in September. Top Rank has tried to contact Mayweather to begin negotiations. Arum has yet to hear back from Mayweather or an individual who represents the boxer.

captainanddew
captainanddew

Back to top Go down

Arum: Pac vs Cotto/Margarito winner in September Empty Re: Arum: Pac vs Cotto/Margarito winner in September

Post  Guest Sun Dec 05, 2010 10:00 pm

Capt, you and Sooner have a new PM.

Back to top Go down

Arum: Pac vs Cotto/Margarito winner in September Empty Re: Arum: Pac vs Cotto/Margarito winner in September

Post  Guest Sun Dec 05, 2010 10:03 pm

It will take until September for Margarito's face to heal. Smile

Back to top Go down

Post  hardcorebee24 Sun Dec 05, 2010 10:05 pm

Does Arum hate Cotto and Margarito? Why would he want this?
hardcorebee24
hardcorebee24

Back to top Go down

Post  captainanddew Sun Dec 05, 2010 10:59 pm

hardcorebee24 wrote:Does Arum hate Cotto and Margarito? Why would he want this?

it is in house which is what he wants to do.
He thinks Pac can sell even in a rematch of fights where he destroyed the opposition
it would allow Cotto/Margarito winner to get another huge payday

captainanddew
captainanddew

Back to top Go down

Post  hardcorebee24 Sun Dec 05, 2010 11:48 pm

captainanddew wrote:

it is in house which is what he wants to do.
He thinks Pac can sell even in a rematch of fights where he destroyed the opposition
it would allow Cotto/Margarito winner to get another huge payday

Arum has a burial plot incentive as well because Pacquiao is going to kill them both. Are they going to fight him at the same time or something? I don't get it neither fight was close. In house or not the element of surprise sells fights neither one of these matchups has any surprise endings.
hardcorebee24
hardcorebee24

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Mon Dec 06, 2010 7:24 am

awfull arum regresses again..even if he was totaly drunk he could not look any more stupid then this..

Back to top Go down

Post  GrantZilla Mon Dec 06, 2010 7:36 am

It won't happen. Pac vs Mosley will get trashed if it is announced. The PPV will not get close to a million buys, and it will totaly ruin any kind of 50/50 claim Pac wants with Mayweather. Not when Mayweather-Mosley reached 1.4 million buys.

If Pac-Mosley does happen, and when it underperforms big time, it will cause Arum to seriosly rethink things.

I think just Arum driving down the asking price. No fucking way he thinks Pac-Mosley will do good after Mosley's last two performances.

Before you mention Pac-Clottey doing good when Clottey was an unkown. That was as much ofan advantage as disadvantage. Because many people didn't know Clottey or how his actualy chances. But people did see Mosley look like an old man against Mayweather, and probably heard how bad Mosley-Mora was.
GrantZilla
GrantZilla

Back to top Go down

Post  Frank Mon Dec 06, 2010 8:45 am

Hardcore, I think Arum's lost it. I think it's time for him to go out to pasture. With all the talent around for Pac to fight, he's dead set on having him compete against the same two fighters in nearly a two year span. That's not good promoting.

Frank

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Mon Dec 06, 2010 8:58 am

Bob Arum's gravestone will read " I killed boxing."

Back to top Go down

Post  GrantZilla Mon Dec 06, 2010 9:26 am

Ali wrote:Bob Arum's gravestone will read " I killed boxing."

How could Arum have killed boxng when he promoted Ali, and created biggest names in boxing in last plus years? Oscar? Mayweather? Pac-Man? Cotto?

Not to menton future fighters like Gamboa and Lopez, ect?

ABC belts have killed boxing
GrantZilla
GrantZilla

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Mon Dec 06, 2010 9:32 am

GrantZilla wrote:

How could Arum have killed boxng when he promoted Ali, and created biggest names in boxing in last plus years? Oscar? Mayweather? Pac-Man? Cotto?

Not to menton future fighters like Gamboa and Lopez, ect?

ABC belts have killed boxing

Pac vs Mosley then vs Cotto/ Margarito II

nuff said.

Bob isn't the same man who promoted in the 80's, he's now a leech who bends over backwards for the sanctioning bodies.

Back to top Go down

Post  GrantZilla Mon Dec 06, 2010 9:37 am

Ali wrote:Bob isn't the same man who promoted in the 80's, he's now a leech who bends over backwards for the sanctioning bodies.

I dunno about that. He uses ABC belts like all promoters, just to build a figher's name and sell a fight. Don't see his big names doing BS mandtories. If manditor got in the way of a big money fight, Arum tell fighter to ditch the trinket.

The only prob I got with Arum right now is him wanting to keep shit in-house. I do see his point though. If your a promoter, why do feel desire to match a fighter you spent money on to build up against another promoter's fighter who did jack shit to build up?

People realy forget about this aspect of promotion. Promoter is like an investor. They don't make any money in begening building fighter up. Most cases, they lose money, but in hopes for a return on their investiment.

With Golden Boy, they don't do that. They just steal other promoter's fighters who said promoter spent money on building into a name.
GrantZilla
GrantZilla

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Mon Dec 06, 2010 10:29 am

.....and his gravestone will be diamond encrusted, and made of solid gold. Instead of dirt, his casket will be buried in cash. Arum will pass into eternal rest with a big "fuck you" shit-eating permanent grin on his face, middle finger extended.

Back to top Go down

Post  Tobe Mon Dec 06, 2010 11:00 am

God, what a terrible year for boxing 2011 is shaping up to be Sad
Tobe
Tobe

Back to top Go down

Post  Freddie1437 Mon Dec 06, 2010 11:35 am

What a joke, I mean what would a rematch do? I mean Cotto has Stewart in his corner, but I'm sorry, I don't think the fight would be much different.
Freddie1437
Freddie1437

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Mon Dec 06, 2010 1:41 pm

Canvas wrote:

.....and his gravestone will be diamond encrusted, and made of solid gold. Instead of dirt, his casket will be buried in cash. Arum will pass into eternal rest with a big "fuck you" shit-eating permanent grin on his face, middle finger extended.

lol!

Back to top Go down

Post  dbudge Mon Dec 06, 2010 2:25 pm

GrantZilla wrote:
Ali wrote:Bob isn't the same man who promoted in the 80's, he's now a leech who bends over backwards for the sanctioning bodies.

I dunno about that. He uses ABC belts like all promoters, just to build a figher's name and sell a fight. Don't see his big names doing BS mandtories. If manditor got in the way of a big money fight, Arum tell fighter to ditch the trinket.

The only prob I got with Arum right now is him wanting to keep shit in-house. I do see his point though. If your a promoter, why do feel desire to match a fighter you spent money on to build up against another promoter's fighter who did jack shit to build up?

People realy forget about this aspect of promotion. Promoter is like an investor. They don't make any money in begening building fighter up. Most cases, they lose money, but in hopes for a return on their investiment.

With Golden Boy, they don't do that. They just steal other promoter's fighters who said promoter spent money on building into a name.

i wholeheartedly agree on this. the promoters take a gamble everytime they sign a young kid up. Frank Warren did it with Amir Khan, he built him up into a star, still got him massive fights after he was KO'd in a minute only to have Golden Boy poach his investment from under his nose. i think people are too quick to jump on the promoters backs and not the fighters. the promoters are the people that give the Wolrd fights like "The Thrilla in Manilla". promoters are the guys that are responsible for these fighters getting the huge paydays they do

dbudge

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Mon Dec 06, 2010 2:51 pm

Golden Boy never poached Khan away from Warren, Amir had been dying to leave for awhile, he wanted to join Manny in America fighting on HBO.

Back to top Go down

Post  dbudge Mon Dec 06, 2010 3:29 pm

Ali wrote:Golden Boy never poached Khan away from Warren, Amir had been dying to leave for awhile, he wanted to join Manny in America fighting on HBO.

what i'm saying is Warren put in all the groundwork to put Amir where he is now. he made Khan a rich man way before Golden Boy got to him. Warren is the one who invested in Khan

dbudge

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Mon Dec 06, 2010 3:31 pm

True, but Warren's limit is the UK, he's always going to lose out to the big American promotions unless he can create a relationship with American networks.

Back to top Go down

Post  dbudge Mon Dec 06, 2010 3:33 pm

Ali wrote:True, but Warren's limit is the UK, he's always going to lose out to the big American promotions unless he can create a relationship with American networks.

yeah of course but Amir isn't going to be able to make as much money over there as he is here for a long time yet. Golden Boy are talking about bringing him back to the UK to fight John Murray, what the fuck is that if it isn't a backwards step?? Warren has the better position to make bigger money with Amir Khan over here. all the top fighters do it and take a swipe at him when he was the one that put them where they are and then the fans hate. it's backwards, obviously i don't think all promoters are saints but i think they can be criticised way too harshly

dbudge

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum