The Boxing Palace
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Evander Holyfield's next opponent looks like an old man

5 posters

Go down

Evander Holyfield's next opponent looks like an old man Empty Evander Holyfield's next opponent looks like an old man

Post  Guest Fri Dec 03, 2010 6:29 am

Evander Holyfield's next opponent looks like an old man Holyfield-nielsen-fight-presser-5y1

Back to top Go down

Evander Holyfield's next opponent looks like an old man Empty Re: Evander Holyfield's next opponent looks like an old man

Post  captainanddew Fri Dec 03, 2010 8:38 am

the opponent is mid 40s (if my memory isn't going) but looks mid 50s from that picture.
captainanddew
captainanddew

Back to top Go down

Evander Holyfield's next opponent looks like an old man Empty Re: Evander Holyfield's next opponent looks like an old man

Post  Frank Fri Dec 03, 2010 8:53 am

captainanddew wrote:the opponent is mid 40s (if my memory isn't going) but looks mid 50s from that picture.
LOL. Mid 50's or mid 60's? Evander's lost it. Great champion though.

Frank

Back to top Go down

Post  dbudge Fri Dec 03, 2010 8:55 am

Ali wrote:Evander Holyfield's next opponent looks like an old man Holyfield-nielsen-fight-presser-5y1

my father is 62 and looks in better shape. i could go to a pub in South London and find a more entertaining match-up than that

dbudge

Back to top Go down

Post  Frank Fri Dec 03, 2010 8:56 am

dbudge wrote:
Ali wrote:Evander Holyfield's next opponent looks like an old man Holyfield-nielsen-fight-presser-5y1

my father is 62 and looks in better shape. i could go to a pub in South London and find a more entertaining match-up than that
We're in total agreement on this one, dbudge. LOL

Frank

Back to top Go down

Post  shakefree Fri Dec 03, 2010 9:15 am

i'd comment but i just remembered"if you can't say anything nice..." or in this case about either(& commander is one of my all time favs)hey wait,i just thought of something nice to say...i'd rather watch them fight than crap my pants in public. Embarassed

shakefree

Back to top Go down

Post  Frank Fri Dec 03, 2010 9:21 am

All joking aside, does Evander know who he's fighting? If he he has brain damage, he may think this guy is a young black male, 20 years old and a number one contender.

Frank

Back to top Go down

Post  dbudge Fri Dec 03, 2010 9:31 am

Frank wrote:All joking aside, does Evander know who he's fighting? If he he has brain damage, he may think this guy is a young black male, 20 years old and a number one contender.

he is the number 1 contender to Evander's glorioius WBF title. surely Evander can make money off his fame other than having to fight these ridiculous contests. if he is doing it because he is broke than fair enough, but there is part of me that thinks Evander genuinely believes he is chasing a World Title fight. Fighters should be saved from themselves

dbudge

Back to top Go down

Post  Frank Fri Dec 03, 2010 9:44 am

dbudge wrote:
Frank wrote:All joking aside, does Evander know who he's fighting? If he he has brain damage, he may think this guy is a young black male, 20 years old and a number one contender.

he is the number 1 contender to Evander's glorioius WBF title. surely Evander can make money off his fame other than having to fight these ridiculous contests. if he is doing it because he is broke than fair enough, but there is part of me that thinks Evander genuinely believes he is chasing a World Title fight. Fighters should be saved from themselves
Agreed. However, I won't judge Evander. I know that being "the best in the world" at anything is an honor most people will not experience. Consider a man, who probably never learned to read or write, has no charismatic personality, is not a fashion model and comes from a place where most dreams are limited to big drug deals, and you have someone who is addicted to the sport. His life makes the term "Feast or Famine" look like a mild term. Evander will fight until he is handed his death certificate (symbolically). That will be a sad day. My opinion.

(Confession: If Evander became the champ again, I'd be the happiest guy in 3 states. But, it'll never happen.)

Frank

Back to top Go down

Post  dbudge Fri Dec 03, 2010 10:01 am

Frank wrote:
dbudge wrote:

Agreed. However, I won't judge Evander. I know that being "the best in the world" at anything is an honor most people will not experience. Consider a man, who probably never learned to read or write, has no charismatic personality, is not a fashion model and comes from a place where most dreams are limited to big drug deals, and you have someone who is addicted to the sport. His life makes the term "Feast or Famine" look like a mild term. Evander will fight until he is handed his death certificate (symbolically). That will be a sad day. My opinion.

(Confession: If Evander became the champ again, I'd be the happiest guy in 3 states. But, it'll never happen.)

Regardless of whatever background he may have experienced, that was a long time ago and circumstances have changed. it's ok when he is fighting guys at this level but there will be atime when he lands a fight with a live opponent and the consequences of that could be disastrous. It is down to those that sanction the bouts to take full responsibilty of such situations. it's no good to have an excuse that goes like "well it's all he knew and he really wanted to keep fighting" because it's not a good enough excuse. i just don't see how these bouts are really benfitting him at all, he can't be getting paid mega-bucks i know.

A lot of people grow up in less fortunate circumstances, that doesn't mean that their life should be devalued over another another persons. I can understand if he is totally bankrupt but if he isn't then this really is silly in my view. I'm not having a dig at Evander, i'm having a dig at the governing bodies. it's them that should be telling these fighters that they are too old and vulnerable. Look at Roy Jones, he is a disaster waiting to happen if he still fights. Boxing doesn't need another Ali like figure that bears all the scars of the brutality of the Sport. Because these guys want to fight on it doesn't make it right that they do

dbudge

Back to top Go down

Post  Frank Fri Dec 03, 2010 10:19 am

dbudge wrote:
Frank wrote:
dbudge wrote:

Regardless of whatever background he may have experienced, that was a long time ago and circumstances have changed. it's ok when he is fighting guys at this level but there will be atime when he lands a fight with a live opponent and the consequences of that could be disastrous. It is down to those that sanction the bouts to take full responsibilty of such situations. it's no good to have an excuse that goes like "well it's all he knew and he really wanted to keep fighting" because it's not a good enough excuse. i just don't see how these bouts are really benfitting him at all, he can't be getting paid mega-bucks i know.

A lot of people grow up in less fortunate circumstances, that doesn't mean that their life should be devalued over another another persons. I can understand if he is totally bankrupt but if he isn't then this really is silly in my view. I'm not having a dig at Evander, i'm having a dig at the governing bodies. it's them that should be telling these fighters that they are too old and vulnerable. Look at Roy Jones, he is a disaster waiting to happen if he still fights. Boxing doesn't need another Ali like figure that bears all the scars of the brutality of the Sport. Because these guys want to fight on it doesn't make it right that they do
Dbudge, I agree with every word in this post. However, this is just part of our sport. Randy Gordon and the "New York State Athletic Commission" tried to force Evander to retire. The courts ruled that "Evander has the right to make a living."

Look at it this way. There's not another sport on earth that can match the glory of a great fighter winning a world championship. I also don't see an athletic competition that can match the horror and saddness of seeing a "once great champion" walk around with permanent brain damage. It's the sport, dbudge. It took me a long time to accept that. Is it right? I'm not here to judge. I wish Holyfield would retire just as much as the next guy. However, Evander, either as a great champion or a tragic "over the hill" fighter trying to recapture yester-year, is a reflection of the sport we love. Nothing we can do about it.

Frank

Back to top Go down

Post  dbudge Fri Dec 03, 2010 10:31 am

i do understand it is the sport but in today's World that would be no excuse the next time a tragedy happens to a major star in it. I don't see that that excuse would be suitable to smooth it over. the press would be so bad that it would spell trouble for boxing. with all the liability insurance claims and the blame culture we live in, i don't see how boxing could justify granting a 47 year old man a licence to prizefight if something was to go wrong. the backlash would be horrendous. if a company gave a 50 year old man a job to do on top of scaffolding without a harness and he fell, who's responsible for that? it's certainly not the 50 year old man's who wanted to go to work

dbudge

Back to top Go down

Post  Frank Fri Dec 03, 2010 10:38 am

dbudge wrote:i do understand it is the sport but in today's World that would be no excuse the next time a tragedy happens to a major star in it. I don't see that that excuse would be suitable to smooth it over. the press would be so bad that it would spell trouble for boxing. with all the liability insurance claims and the blame culture we live in, i don't see how boxing could justify granting a 47 year old man a licence to prizefight if something was to go wrong. the backlash would be horrendous. if a company gave a 50 year old man a job to do on top of scaffolding without a harness and he fell, who's responsible for that? it's certainly not the 50 year old man's who wanted to go to work
Holmes fought until he was 50. B Hop is a 45 year old with a superfight on the way. Big George was 45 when he won the title. Try to force Van out of the sport with those facts along with a failed attempt by the NYAC.

Maybe you're right. If Evander died in the ring, the "AMA" and other critics of the sport would line up in droves and have no effect. They'd get on every talk show and they'd motivate the passions of many people, until the next "Talk show" subject came up. People suck, dbudge. LOL: I think the difference in our approach is the following: You are speaking about what should be, and I agree with you. I'm speaking about what is and realistically, I don't see any hope for real change in the future.

Frank

Back to top Go down

Post  Tobe Fri Dec 03, 2010 11:05 am

Looks like a picture you'd see at a 25th anniversary dinner celebrating a great fight; not the pre-fight press conference for one!

How can anyone think reasonable people are going to pay money to watch those two men engage in any type of athletic contest - let alone a boxing match for what some are dumb enough to claim is a "Championship". No

Tobe
Tobe

Back to top Go down

Post  dbudge Fri Dec 03, 2010 11:14 am

Tobe wrote:

Looks like a picture you'd see at a 25th anniversary dinner celebrating a great fight; not the pre-fight press conference for one!

How can anyone think reasonable people are going to pay money to watch those two men engage in any type of athletic contest - let alone a boxing match for what some are dumb enough to claim is a "Championship". No

is it on any TV network? or is it on a stupid PPV?

dbudge

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Fri Dec 03, 2010 11:58 am

hollifield is 48 they other guy 45 going on 60..on espn home page hollifield says he will fight untill hes the undisputed champ again..hes getting 500 000 for this fight..i hope neilson crushes him..it will happen sooner or later to hollifield ...seriously is the winner david hayes next fight..somehow evander may be thinking that.

Back to top Go down

Post  dbudge Fri Dec 03, 2010 12:04 pm

dmar5143 wrote:hollifield is 48 they other guy 45 going on 60..on espn home page hollifield says he will fight untill hes the undisputed champ again..hes getting 500 000 for this fight..i hope neilson crushes him..it will happen sooner or later to hollifield ...seriously is the winner david hayes next fight..somehow evander may be thinking that.

how on Earth is Holyfield getting that size payday?? where's the money coming from for it?? a Haye vs Holyfield fight would be absolutely disgraceful if it got made, like yourself i'm worried that the probability of that happening is high

dbudge

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Fri Dec 03, 2010 2:36 pm

Brian Nielsen hasn't fought in almost nine years and was stopped by a shopworn Mike Tyson in 2001.Somehow that qualifies him as a legend.Boxrec gave this fight a 1 star rating.

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Fri Dec 03, 2010 2:58 pm

I apologize for sullying Mr. Nielsen's reputation.After all,he was once the International Boxing Council Heavyweight Champion.

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum