The Boxing Palace
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Tommy Loughran

3 posters

Go down

Tommy Loughran Empty Tommy Loughran

Post  powerpuncher Thu Dec 02, 2010 3:38 pm

I want to start up the thing again where we name old great fighters that arent talked about a ton (like robinson, ali, pep, armstrong, etc) and learn more about them. so these threads are going to just be a free discussion about the fighter. its not for arguing or anything, its just so that we can all have a better knowledge of old, great fighters.

tommy loughran has always impressed me when ive watched him fight. he has such a good left hand. i remember the first time i watched a fight of his and i was just so impressed with that left hand. he controlled the whole fight with the left. people talk about larry holmes' jab. it was nothing compared to loughran's. he has an impressive resume too. at the beginning of his career he fought tunney and greb a few times in which he lost which isnt a bad thing to say. he did beat greb once though. beat carpentier, walker, ruined braddock's career, baer, sharkey, and others. and remember, he was a light heavyweight, not a heavyweight.

IMO, he would have been the heavyweight champion but there is reason to believe that the fight between him and carnera was fixed. i believe it because i dont see carnera beating loughran even with the 80 or so pound weight advantage for carnera. he was one of the greatest light heavyweights ever and i believe would give pretty much any light heavyweight in history problems with that left hand.

lets hear more about him!
powerpuncher
powerpuncher

Back to top Go down

Tommy Loughran Empty Re: Tommy Loughran

Post  powerpuncher Fri Dec 03, 2010 10:17 am

nobody cares?
powerpuncher
powerpuncher

Back to top Go down

Post  Frank Fri Dec 03, 2010 10:29 am

powerpuncher wrote:nobody cares?
People care, powerpuncher. It's just that this was an educational thread and people will read it and carry the lesson of Tommy Loughran with them. I bet you when one of these guys is in a debate as to who has the best jab in boxing history, they'll go "toe to toe" with the fans of Ali and Holmes. As far as adding info about Loughran, you took that upon yourself to educate us. Nobody else probably has anything to add at the moment because they're not familiar with him. I've heard the name during my whole life but never really looked into him. Thanks for adding another fighter to my "research list."

Frank

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Fri Dec 03, 2010 12:09 pm

Clip of Tommy Loughran fighting James "Jimmy" Braddock for the Light-Heavyweight title in 1927.
This was Loughran's 12 defense of the LHW title, he won by UD.

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Fri Dec 03, 2010 1:46 pm

powerpuncher tommy is a top ten lightheavyweight..good footwork and a great left jab.smart ring generalsip and a respectable chin at LH..he cant punch.hes in slapsie -maxies catergory as a puncher.he fought excellent competion at LH..people equate him only as a LH which is not true..tommy fought his last 6 or 7 years as a HW and at that time 185-195 which he fought at was considered a average HW poundage..he lost most his fights at HW and the last 2 or so years of his career..he did get in the ring with what was considered the best HWS at that time but it was a poor era in that division talent wise....he was well respected as a fighter in his time but not a crowd pleaser..i guess boring or semi-boring is fair in discribing tommy..a classical boxer who used his left jab and footwork as a primary ofense..decent defense but no pop in his punch at all..intelligent enough to do well against most LHS yes..a tunney a charles a bob foster for example and a few others like conn and moore sam langford at LH were far more capable fighters.the rest of the LHS tommy may have beaton with the jab to win a descion but in boring fashion but non the less a win....laughran does not capture the immagination of todays fans and did not capture there attention in his era..he got there respect of course but not there hearts..

Back to top Go down

Post  powerpuncher Fri Dec 03, 2010 9:06 pm

i guess that im just a boxing nerd. he is a somewhat boring fighter but i enjoy watching anybody fight that has a really good quality like his left hand. i just think that its great to watch that kind of stuff even if the fight isnt the most action packed. i believe that a great jab will give almost anybody trouble because its so hard to avoid and to get past.
powerpuncher
powerpuncher

Back to top Go down

Post  powerpuncher Fri Dec 03, 2010 9:21 pm

Ring wrote:Clip of Tommy Loughran fighting James "Jimmy" Braddock for the Light-Heavyweight title in 1927.

loughran actually kind of reminds me of ward in this fight. a rhythm fighter that slowly starts taking over fights and kind of makes the fight ugly. good speed and accuracy though.
powerpuncher
powerpuncher

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Fri Dec 03, 2010 10:47 pm

powerpuncher wrote:
Ring wrote:Clip of Tommy Loughran fighting James "Jimmy" Braddock for the Light-Heavyweight title in 1927.

loughran actually kind of reminds me of ward in this fight. a rhythm fighter that slowly starts taking over fights and kind of makes the fight ugly. good speed and accuracy though

Think what Loughran could have done if he'd had some power, he was in 128 "official" fights, but only had 15 knockouts, the dude musta been feather fisted.

http://boxrec.com/media/index.php/Tommy_Loughran

Back to top Go down

Post  Gumby Sat Dec 04, 2010 1:32 am

powerpuncher wrote:nobody cares?

For me threads like this are just more time than I have. I know a little about Loughran but not enough to contribute...so I just creep and learn on threads like this. Then eventually I'll get around to watching videos and reading articles/books and all that.

It's not that I don't care, it's that I don't know and don't have time to deal with it. Good post.
Gumby
Gumby

Back to top Go down

Post  powerpuncher Sat Dec 04, 2010 11:33 am

Ring wrote:
powerpuncher wrote:

loughran actually kind of reminds me of ward in this fight. a rhythm fighter that slowly starts taking over fights and kind of makes the fight ugly. good speed and accuracy though

Think what Loughran could have done if he'd had some power, he was in 128 "official" fights, but only had 15 knockouts, the dude musta been feather fisted.

http://boxrec.com/media/index.php/Tommy_Loughran
i didnt realize that he was fighter of the year. i always think that someone must be good if they have no power but can still keep fighters off of them.
powerpuncher
powerpuncher

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down