The Boxing Palace
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

The Boxing Palace's Greatest Ever Middleweight Tournament (Elite 8)

+2
boxinglawyer
freakzilla
6 posters

Go down

The Boxing Palace's Greatest Ever Middleweight Tournament (Elite 8) Empty The Boxing Palace's Greatest Ever Middleweight Tournament (Elite 8)

Post  freakzilla Wed Aug 29, 2012 1:43 pm

Just vote for who you think would win each fight if both fighters were at their peak in a 12 round fight.

1. Sugar Ray Robinson vs Sugar Ray Leonard
2. Harry Greb vs Bob Fitzsimmons
3. Carlos Monzon vs Freddie Steele
4. Marvin Hagler vs Jake LaMotta
freakzilla
freakzilla

Back to top Go down

The Boxing Palace's Greatest Ever Middleweight Tournament (Elite 8) Empty Re: The Boxing Palace's Greatest Ever Middleweight Tournament (Elite 8)

Post  freakzilla Wed Aug 29, 2012 1:44 pm

freakzilla
freakzilla

Back to top Go down

The Boxing Palace's Greatest Ever Middleweight Tournament (Elite 8) Empty Re: The Boxing Palace's Greatest Ever Middleweight Tournament (Elite 8)

Post  boxinglawyer Wed Aug 29, 2012 2:03 pm

Robinson and Ray Leonard would be a great fight. The difference maker would be Robinsons chin. Probably only Haglar had a better one at 160 and that saying something with guys like Lamott a Zale stomping around the division. Robinson could hurt and even stop Leonard. I think thats the difference. That and the fact that Robinson had 100 more fights than Ray. Robinson TKO 14

Greb vs Fitz would actually be fun. Grebs style caused him to be vulnerable to big punchers who could keep him at a distance where he really was not a great fighter. (mid and close range, YES, long, not so much). I think in the end Grebs swarming style gets him inside often enough and late enough in the fight to pull out a come from behind close decision.

Monzon is a bad match-up for Steele. I dont think this fight makes the mid-way point.

LaMotta thought Robinson gave him a beating? Wait till the much bigger and MUCH stronger Hagler gets done with him. Lamotta was slick, tough, and willing. It would not even be close to enough against Marvin. Marvelous would be the faster fighter, the stronger fighter, the more skilled fighter, the bigger puncher, the better chin, etc. In the end, Lamotta gets draped over the ropes and saved by the referee in a one-sided beat down. Call it Hagler by TKO in 9.

boxinglawyer

Back to top Go down

Post  Soonermark890 Wed Aug 29, 2012 2:04 pm

freakzilla wrote:Just vote for who you think would win each fight if both fighters were at their peak in a 12 round fight.

Holy shit a Hagler vs LaMotta fight? What fun that would be.
Soonermark890
Soonermark890
Admin

https://theboxingpalace.forumotion.com

Back to top Go down

Post  Frank Wed Aug 29, 2012 3:07 pm

(I say this fight's a draw.)

Frank

Back to top Go down

Post  dmar5143 Wed Aug 29, 2012 3:15 pm

2 sugar rays.one the real sugar ray the other a arifical sweetner..leanard does well for 6 rounds but robinson can match ray or better leanard in anything he does.he starts tagging leanord and the downfall begins.robinson is no tommy hearns.he can take a punch and figh a hard paced fight for 15 full rounds.his legs dont go in the 11th round.robby by ko in 9...greb is to much action for fritz..a UD by a fair margin..monzon via ko inside 9...BLS description of the jake-marvin fight i absolutely dont see at all.remember hes personal friends with marvin and has a professional relationship with him to cause some exagreation of marvins prowness so to speak.both in there prime had great chins.jakes has been hit more then marvins and by harder punchers then marvin .robinson satterfield joey dejohn are some examples.based on that testing ill give jake a slight edge in that department..neither guys getting koed here..marvin stronger.no way.i have doubts that he was stronger then robinson also..marvin indeed is the more skilled fighter for sure but jake can pull an upset here..why do i say that.based on haglers first fight with antifermo.marvin refused to engage him dispite the fact vito wanted to go to war which should of been haglers forte..it was vito who muscled marvin for the whole 15 rounds.jake was stronger then vito..vito like jake were not big punchers yet vito visably stunned marvin 3 times in there first fight.the fight was called a draw but i felt hagler won by 2 points in a close fight against a guy whos skill level was a little below arhuro gatti.
a key point in that fight was that hagler faded badly the second half of the fight.the last 3 rounds he was arm weary and tireing a lot..jake would put more heat on then vito.hit the body often and muscle marvin.jake could pull an upset here.do i think he will.no .ill pick marvin.but unlike BLS thoughts this is not a walk in the park for hagler.hagler doesnt mopa the floor with jake as described by bl..he wins based on skill yes.not on strenth.he wins because he does more things right offensively but lamotta indeed will have several moments in this fight.a UD for hagler in a hard fight.
dmar5143
dmar5143

Back to top Go down

Post  dmar5143 Wed Aug 29, 2012 3:16 pm

Frank wrote:1. Sugar Ray Robinson vs Sugar Ray Leonard

....frank ill take jake in the rematch.thats if hagler wants one.
dmar5143
dmar5143

Back to top Go down

Post  Frank Wed Aug 29, 2012 3:53 pm

dmar5143 wrote:
Frank wrote:1. Sugar Ray Robinson vs Sugar Ray Leonard

....frank ill take jake in the rematch.thats if hagler wants one.
LOL Ray Leonard's an artificial sweetner, huh? I like that line dmar. LOL

I think Ray Leonard said it best. "I'm not a great fighter. I'm just a guy who fights great. Ray Robinson was a great fighter."

In his prime, I think Ray Leonard was just too fast, strong and smart for any WW to dominate or stop. Robinson had the better career. 110 KOs? I doubt we'll ever have another fighter with 110 victories, however Robinson fought in a different day. Nobody respects Robinson's skills more than I do, however I think Leonard takes greatness to the limit as a WW.

Frank

Back to top Go down

Post  dmar5143 Wed Aug 29, 2012 4:16 pm

frank no disrespect but robby at welter was unbeatable.also in his first run at middle untill his first retirement..yep they fought in a different day.its robby not leanard who brought ww at a differnt level.litterly there maybe one film of robby in his absolute best.hes not stronger then robinson.RR when older a lot older fought real strong guys.fullmer basilio .far tougher and stronger then leanard.so was jake when the young robby fought him.if hearns didnt run out of gas he beats leanard.he beat him second time around.hearns is no robinson.ray hit harder and with both hands.had far more stanima better legs co ordination faster hands etc over tommy not to mention chin.leanard if he fought robinsons schudle would of been koed several times.leanard wasnt built for the long haul.robby indeed was and proved it.at 40 years old he beat fullmer but was given a draw.ray got koed by a over the hill camacho.at 36 or so he wins a war with basilio.leanard at a younger age then 36 got his ass kicked by terry norris..ones a great fighter with a very limited career.the others a all time great .the best of the best who fought the whos who in boxing.robinson in the number of fights alone that he had career wise against the highest level of competion in the era of the golden era .well against the best he actualy had more fights then leanard had in his entire career and then some.its like saying bocelli is greater then mario lanza or caruso.big differnce indeed.
dmar5143
dmar5143

Back to top Go down

Post  freakzilla Wed Aug 29, 2012 9:25 pm

dmar5143 wrote:2 sugar rays.one the real sugar ray the other a arifical sweetner..leanard does well for 6 rounds but robinson can match ray or better leanard in anything he does.he starts tagging leanord and the downfall begins.robinson is no tommy hearns.he can take a punch and figh a hard paced fight for 15 full rounds.his legs dont go in the 11th round.robby by ko in 9...greb is to much action for fritz..a UD by a fair margin..monzon via ko inside 9...BLS description of the jake-marvin fight i absolutely dont see at all.remember hes personal friends with marvin and has a professional relationship with him to cause some exagreation of marvins prowness so to speak.both in there prime had great chins.jakes has been hit more then marvins and by harder punchers then marvin .robinson satterfield joey dejohn are some examples.based on that testing ill give jake a slight edge in that department..neither guys getting koed here..marvin stronger.no way.i have doubts that he was stronger then robinson also..marvin indeed is the more skilled fighter for sure but jake can pull an upset here..why do i say that.based on haglers first fight with antifermo.marvin refused to engage him dispite the fact vito wanted to go to war which should of been haglers forte..it was vito who muscled marvin for the whole 15 rounds.jake was stronger then vito..vito like jake were not big punchers yet vito visably stunned marvin 3 times in there first fight.the fight was called a draw but i felt hagler won by 2 points in a close fight against a guy whos skill level was a little below arhuro gatti.
a key point in that fight was that hagler faded badly the second half of the fight.the last 3 rounds he was arm weary and tireing a lot..jake would put more heat on then vito.hit the body often and muscle marvin.jake could pull an upset here.do i think he will.no .ill pick marvin.but unlike BLS thoughts this is not a walk in the park for hagler.hagler doesnt mopa the floor with jake as described by bl..he wins based on skill yes.not on strenth.he wins because he does more things right offensively but lamotta indeed will have several moments in this fight.a UD for hagler in a hard fight.

lol!
freakzilla
freakzilla

Back to top Go down

Post  powerpuncher Thu Aug 30, 2012 12:37 am

robinson-so is this fight taking place at MW because both were in their primes at WW? either way, leonard's only edge is his speed. he has blazing fast flurries, but as in the hearns fight, i think that robinson is still fast enough and long enough to nullify leonards speed. i think that its a semi close fight at the end but robinson wins pretty easily.
greb-although greb might get hit a lot, that was his style. i feel like fitz and other people fighting at his time just had terrible defense. i dont see him lasting the long haul. greb by late TKO.
monzon-again, i havent seen nor know really anything about steele so ill go with monzon.
hagler-great fight with 2 of the greatest chins ever. i think that when it comes down to it, hagler can brawl but i wouldnt necessarily call him a brawler as much as i would call lamotta a brawler. they would have a few great exchanges throughout the fight but in the end, hagler's boxing ability wins it in a great fight that goes to the scorecards.
powerpuncher
powerpuncher

Back to top Go down

Post  freakzilla Thu Aug 30, 2012 11:10 am

1. Sugar Ray Robinson 4-0 Sugar Ray Leonard
2. Harry Greb 4-0 Bob Fitzsimmons
3. Carlos Monzon 5-0 Freddie Steele
4. Marvin Hagler 4-1 Jake LaMotta
freakzilla
freakzilla

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum