The Boxing Palace
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

The Boxing Palace's Greatest Ever Light-Heavyweight Tournament (Elite 8)

+2
dmar5143
freakzilla
6 posters

Go down

The Boxing Palace's Greatest Ever Light-Heavyweight Tournament (Elite 8) Empty The Boxing Palace's Greatest Ever Light-Heavyweight Tournament (Elite 8)

Post  freakzilla Fri Aug 24, 2012 2:17 pm

Just vote for who you think would win each fight if both fighters were at their peak in a 12 round fight.

1. Ezzard Charles vs Harry Greb
2. Gene Tunney vs Archie Moore
3. Bob Foster vs Michael Spinks
4. Sam Langford vs Roy Jones Jr
freakzilla
freakzilla

Back to top Go down

The Boxing Palace's Greatest Ever Light-Heavyweight Tournament (Elite 8) Empty Re: The Boxing Palace's Greatest Ever Light-Heavyweight Tournament (Elite 8)

Post  dmar5143 Fri Aug 24, 2012 3:00 pm

how did you come up with this paring..its not a bracket system for sure.some choses here are hard to descide .example greb vs charles.greb is realy a middle but when fighting bigger guys he will go in at 165 or so.to me both are great fighters but greb indeed is the greater fighter.does that translate into a win here.its hard to say..it may just come down to is who forces there will on the other fighter.this edge belongs to greb.both are highly skilled but in different ways.charles has a caution about him that could cost him against the rough style and perpetual motion of greb.both fought fantastic competion in there careers.this fight comes down to the will i feel.thats why ill take greb.he has had a history of success against bigger guys that were truly excellent complete fighters.the fights close but its harrys to win or lose.ill take harry.
tunney and more.great fight.tunney can punch and box.his skill set goes well beyound that of a maxim or a johnson as far as overall completeness.charles has similar attributes that tunney has but not genes chin.gene i think edges ez in overall footwork.ill take tunney via a ko in round 12 or 13..ill think 15 round fights instead of the suggested 12..so if ez can whip archie 3 times and one i think by ko then theres no reason to say gene cant do the same.
foster spinks is a mixed bag.overall ill rate foster over spinks by a little.its flip a coin i guess but ill take foster.
langford vs jones.a great fighter vs a all time great.langford can punch well beyound a tarver or a glen johnson and is 20 times the fighter.sam moves foward and punches very very effective.jones makes too many amatuerish mistakes that sam will make him pay every time.ill take sam inside 6..
dmar5143
dmar5143

Back to top Go down

The Boxing Palace's Greatest Ever Light-Heavyweight Tournament (Elite 8) Empty Re: The Boxing Palace's Greatest Ever Light-Heavyweight Tournament (Elite 8)

Post  flapanther2001 Fri Aug 24, 2012 3:58 pm

flapanther2001
flapanther2001

Back to top Go down

Post  powerpuncher Fri Aug 24, 2012 4:05 pm

greb- like dmar said, i consider greb a middleweight but its not as if he didnt beat bigger men a ton of times in his career. i think the difference with this fight would be that from what ive heard, greb is tough as nails. i can see it being a hard fought fight with greb finishing off charles in the last couple of rounds.
tunney- i just cant see moore beating tunney. i think that tunney would stay away and avoid punches. although moore is a great fighter, i think that its a fairly easy win for tunney.
foster- im going out on a limb and saying that foster will impose his will on spinks. i think that spinks does well for a while but foster starts connecting and puts him out in the later rounds.
jones- i may get heat for this but thats fine. i can definitely see langford winning this fight via KO, but i think that a prime jones is just too fast. i just think that jones would stay away for 15 rounds and win a UD.
powerpuncher
powerpuncher

Back to top Go down

Post  boxinglawyer Fri Aug 24, 2012 4:13 pm

Charles is too complete, strong, and skilled for the rough-house tactics of the human wind-mill. Ezzard takes him out in the late rounds of a competitive fight.

Tunney is Moores kryptonite. He would be patient enough to keep boxing at a distance and control the fight.

THIS is the fight of the tourney!! Foster was a beast and Spinks is the champion of the divisions greatest era. I think the difference in the fight here is actually Spinks chin. Spinks fought a TON of HUGE punchers and never went down. Only a prime Mike Tyson was able to dent an aging Spinks chin 40+pounds above Michaels best weight. Foster had a decent beard too, but not on par with Michael. I see a real battle with Spinks finally breaking through with a big shot to drop Foster in the mid to late rounds before finishing with a flurry.

Langford is arrested for murder after his fight with Jones Jr. (who would NEVER make a top 16 elimination tournament in this division. LOL)

boxinglawyer

Back to top Go down

Post  Soonermark890 Fri Aug 24, 2012 4:56 pm

One great thing about freaks tournament is reading you guys posts is like a history lesson. Very Happy
Soonermark890
Soonermark890
Admin

https://theboxingpalace.forumotion.com

Back to top Go down

Post  freakzilla Fri Aug 24, 2012 9:11 pm

Soonermark890 wrote:One great thing about freaks tournament is reading you guys posts is like a history lesson. Very Happy

That's the main reason I did it. I love reading these guys' posts and learning more about the fighters. Thanks gents for the in depth analysis. Thanks Dmar for taking part in this tourney. I chose the pairings for style fights and fights I would've liked to see.
freakzilla
freakzilla

Back to top Go down

Post  freakzilla Fri Aug 24, 2012 9:17 pm

freakzilla
freakzilla

Back to top Go down

Post  freakzilla Sun Aug 26, 2012 1:50 am

1. Ezzard Charles 3-2 Harry Greb
2. Gene Tunney 4-1 Archie Moore
3. Bob Foster 3-2 Michael Spinks
4. Sam Langford 3-2 Roy Jones Jr
freakzilla
freakzilla

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum