The Boxing Palace
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

John Mugabi....

+2
Frank
flapanther2001
6 posters

Go down

John Mugabi.... Empty John Mugabi....

Post  flapanther2001 Thu Aug 23, 2012 4:07 pm

Was he overrated?
flapanther2001
flapanther2001

Back to top Go down

John Mugabi.... Empty Re: John Mugabi....

Post  Frank Fri Aug 24, 2012 8:02 am

Mugabi challenged Hagler for the Mw crown. I think it was back in 86. He was 25-0 with 25 KOs. The two engaged in 11 spirited rounds of back and forth action before Hagler put him out. If my memory is correct, it was an 11 round KO. Following that fight, Mugabi was shot.

Nobody ever accused him of being a great fighter. He was a limited clubber and everyone knew it.

Frank

Back to top Go down

Post  dmar5143 Fri Aug 24, 2012 9:21 am

Frank wrote:Mugabi challenged Hagler for the Mw crown. I think it was back in 86. He was 25-0 with 25 KOs. The two engaged in 11 spirited rounds of back and forth action before Hagler put him out. If my memory is correct, it was an 11 round KO. Following that fight, Mugabi was shot.

Nobody ever accused him of being a great fighter. He was a limited clubber and everyone knew it.
..frank some of this i agree fully with.mugabi was never thought to be a great fighter nor a very very good one.
so how can he be overated.a fantastic puncher indeed..he gave hagler a good fight.conditioning as well as a slight size adavantage so to speak did him in.haglers conditioning to fight any type of pace fight simply wore mugabi out.mugabi wasnt done after that fight.he lost right after that with a bad eye injury caused by a thumb that turned the tables on his career.his motivation to train etc etc wasnt there and it cost him.skill wise mugabi was decent.a good fighter who came and went.overated.nope.
dmar5143
dmar5143

Back to top Go down

Post  Frank Fri Aug 24, 2012 9:24 am

dmar5143 wrote:
Frank wrote:Mugabi challenged Hagler for the Mw crown. I think it was back in 86. He was 25-0 with 25 KOs. The two engaged in 11 spirited rounds of back and forth action before Hagler put him out. If my memory is correct, it was an 11 round KO. Following that fight, Mugabi was shot.

..frank some of this i agree fully with.mugabi was never thought to be a great fighter nor a very very good one.
so how can he be overated.a fantastic puncher indeed..he gave hagler a good fight.conditioning as well as a slight size adavantage so to speak did him in.haglers conditioning to fight any type of pace fight simply wore mugabi out.mugabi wasnt done after that fight.he lost right after that with a bad eye injury caused by a thumb that turned the tables on his career.his motivation to train etc etc wasnt there and it cost him.skill wise mugabi was decent.a good fighter who came and went.overated.nope.
Ok, I was going on my memory. John Mugabi isn't someone ya think of every day if you know what I mean. I know that he was never mentioned as a possible opponent for any big names following his fight with Marvin. He was knocked out a few times too if I recall correctly.

I really wish Mugabi had reached his prime at about the same time that Julian Jackson was reaching his. Wow!

Frank

Back to top Go down

Post  captainanddew Fri Aug 24, 2012 8:09 pm

Frank wrote:
dmar5143 wrote:

Ok, I was going on my memory. John Mugabi isn't someone ya think of every day if you know what I mean. I know that he was never mentioned as a possible opponent for any big names following his fight with Marvin. He was knocked out a few times too if I recall correctly.

I really wish Mugabi had reached his prime at about the same time that Julian Jackson was reaching his. Wow!

stop it. I'm literally salivating just thinking about those two in the ring together.
captainanddew
captainanddew

Back to top Go down

Post  boxinglawyer Sat Aug 25, 2012 8:28 pm

Mugabi remains to this day the ONLY fighter I have ever seen break another guys ANKLE with a punch. Here is some Trivia for you, can you name the fighter whose ankle he broke and whose title he took with that over-hand right to the chin?

boxinglawyer

Back to top Go down

Post  dmar5143 Sun Aug 26, 2012 12:18 am

jacquot or something like that..i do remember marvin starling got hit with a punch clearly after the bell and i think broke a leg.it was in new jersey and the replays clearly showed that the punch was thrown after the bell had rung but larry hazzard comish at that time said no with a straight face.starling when interviewd and told he was knocked out by a punch after the bell said are you crazy lol i wasnt knocked out i wasnt even knocked down..
dmar5143
dmar5143

Back to top Go down

Post  boxinglawyer Sun Aug 26, 2012 2:53 pm

dmar5143 wrote:jacquot or something like that..i do remember marvin starling got hit with a punch clearly after the bell and i think broke a leg.it was in new jersey and the replays clearly showed that the punch was thrown after the bell had rung but larry hazzard comish at that time said no with a straight face.starling when interviewd and told he was knocked out by a punch after the bell said are you crazy lol i wasnt knocked out i wasnt even knocked down..
Rene jaquot for the WBC jr middle title. Taken by Norris later. The guy that clicked mookie Kate was Colombian slugger Tomas Molinares. Starling sprained his knee, but didn't break his leg. That post fight interview was HILARIOUS. Larry said it took him a few questions to realize Starling didn't know he lost the fight OR got knocked out!

boxinglawyer

Back to top Go down

Post  Frank Sun Aug 26, 2012 6:41 pm

boxinglawyer wrote:
dmar5143 wrote:jacquot or something like that..i do remember marvin starling got hit with a punch clearly after the bell and i think broke a leg.it was in new jersey and the replays clearly showed that the punch was thrown after the bell had rung but larry hazzard comish at that time said no with a straight face.starling when interviewd and told he was knocked out by a punch after the bell said are you crazy lol i wasnt knocked out i wasnt even knocked down..
Rene jaquot for the WBC jr middle title. Taken by Norris later. The guy that clicked mookie Kate was Colombian slugger Tomas Molinares. Starling sprained his knee, but didn't break his leg. That post fight interview was HILARIOUS. Larry said it took him a few questions to realize Starling didn't know he lost the fight OR got knocked out!
Marlon Starling: "I didn't get knocked down. I didn't get knocked out!: That's an exact quote.

Frank

Back to top Go down

Post  hillsicc303 Wed Aug 29, 2012 11:49 pm

Mugabi has to have the record for a top fighter, who's chin deteriorated the fastest. I mean after the Hagler fight, the guy just couldn't take a punch anymore...

hillsicc303

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down