The Boxing Palace
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Former heavyweight champ Michael Dokes passes

4 posters

Go down

Former heavyweight champ Michael Dokes passes Empty Former heavyweight champ Michael Dokes passes

Post  Frank Mon Aug 13, 2012 4:10 pm

The following article was obtained from "Fight News.com."

Sad to report that former WBA world heavyweight boxing champion Michael “Dynamite” Dokes has passed away from liver cancer on Friday at the age of 54 in Akron, Ohio. Dokes was 53-6-2 with 34 KOs and last fought in 1997. He won the WBA championship by defeating Michael Weaver in 1982. Arrangements are being handled by the Rhoden Memorial Home, 1101 Palmetto Avenue, Akron, Ohio (330-724-1201).

Frank

Back to top Go down

Former heavyweight champ Michael Dokes passes Empty Re: Former heavyweight champ Michael Dokes passes

Post  flapanther2001 Mon Aug 13, 2012 5:59 pm

R.I.P. Dynamite....Ran into him a bunch when he was living in So Fla. He had some exciting fights.
flapanther2001
flapanther2001

Back to top Go down

Former heavyweight champ Michael Dokes passes Empty Re: Former heavyweight champ Michael Dokes passes

Post  dmar5143 Mon Aug 13, 2012 6:00 pm

sorry to hear that.its a shame what drugs not keeping in the right frame of mind did to this guys career.he could of been a real heavyweight champ and a darn good one.i met dokes once.a few guys from my home town were very friendly with him and he was just a month or so from his first fight.they asked me to watch this guy work out.hiting the heavy bag was done with impressive power.excellent handspeed for a heavy with power.he had a maturity about him and a dedication also.i asked how old is he.they said 18. i said WHAT .18 i was more then suprized.i asked dokes how much he weighed since he was well built.i thought he would say 220-225.he was far from that.under 210.we talked a bit and he was enthused about getting ready for his pro career to start.i told him in front of my friends mike if you dont fuck things up your gonna be a champ and a darn good one.
its a shame that he did prison time got involved with doing crap and lost that youthfull focus and sence of purpose that he had that day.that day he was a nice young man with a dream.to bad he didnt keep focus on that dream.he could of been a dam good one.
dmar5143
dmar5143

Back to top Go down

Post  Soonermark890 Mon Aug 13, 2012 8:45 pm

RIP
Soonermark890
Soonermark890
Admin

https://theboxingpalace.forumotion.com

Back to top Go down

Post  Frank Tue Aug 14, 2012 4:32 pm

Dokes had as much ability as any HW during his day. His fight with Holyfield is still one of my favs. He (Dokes) was thought to be finished, but had one night left in him. Evander and Dokes fought for ten of the most exciting rounds I've ever seen. It was that fight that convinced me that Van was a legitimate HW.

The cocaine did him in. That's so damn sad. Not only did it ruin his boxing career but led to him serving 8 years in prison.

During his best years, he was one of the strongest and fastest HWs I ever saw. May God bless his soul.

Frank

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum