The Boxing Palace
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Froch vs. Bute rematch will happen next year after interim fights

+7
dbudge
Gumby
captainanddew
Diego408
flapanther2001
powerpuncher
nano212
11 posters

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next

Go down

Froch vs. Bute rematch will happen next year after interim fights Empty Froch vs. Bute rematch will happen next year after interim fights

Post  Guest Fri Jul 06, 2012 1:22 pm

Former super middleweight titleholder Lucian Bute exercised his right to a rematch with new titleholder Carl Froch on Thursday, although they agreed they would both take interim bouts first.

Bute left the comforts of his adopted hometown of Montreal to travel to Froch's hometown of Nottingham, England, to defend the title on May 26, but was knocked out in the fifth round in a mild upset.

Bute had the right to demand an immediate rematch in Montreal, but the camps agreed they would instead each take one fight before meeting for a sequel in Montreal in March 2013.

Eddie Hearn of Matchroom Sport, Froch's promoter, announced that Froch (29-2, 21 KOs) will make the first defense of his third title reign in the United Kingdom in November.

"Froch versus Bute has already gone down as one of the greatest nights in British boxing history," Hearn said. "It generated record television audiences and a sold-out arena where fans were treated to what many respected pundits and fighters have described as one of the best atmospheres ever felt in a British fight. Of course, like any fighter, Lucian is keen to avenge this defeat and, as per our agreement, has the opportunity to try to make that happen.

"Both myself and Lucian's promoter, Jean Bedard (of InterBox) feel that it is in the best interests of both fighters and any future rematch that both fighters will take an interim fight later this year. Froch versus Bute II in Montreal is a massive event and I'm sure that impressive victories for both men later this year will add further fuel to the fire."

Froch's opponent for his November fight has not been determined, Hearn said.

"We will be looking to announce an opponent for Carl in the next few weeks for another big fight in the U.K.," he said.

Bute (30-1, 24 KOs) also will fight in the fall, probably in Montreal or Quebec City, both places where he is a major draw, before looking forward to the Froch rematch, although no opponent has been selected for him, either.

"That was not the real Lucian Bute in that Nottingham ring on May 26," said Bute, who had made nine defenses before being cut down by Froch. "I spent the last few weeks reflecting about what went wrong, what happened, and the only thing that is crystal clear in my mind is that I want my rematch with Carl Froch as soon as possible."

Said Bedard, "There is no hiding the fact that the result on May 26 was hard on everyone. But even in defeat, in the locker room after the fight and the days following the loss, I still felt Lucian had the fire in his belly to come back stronger and demand his rematch with Froch. Matchroom is a great organization to work with and I have been speaking to Eddie once or twice a week since May 26. I almost know his number by heart."

http://espn.go.com/boxing/story/_/id/8133004/carl-froch-lucian-bute-agree-rematch-interim-bouts

Back to top Go down

Froch vs. Bute rematch will happen next year after interim fights Empty Re: Froch vs. Bute rematch will happen next year after interim fights

Post  nano212 Fri Jul 06, 2012 8:04 pm

I give Bute credit here, he looked outclassed and not ready for prime time! He has fought in front of huge crowds that were there to cheer his every move. But across the pond he looked out of place and was to wound up to steal a phrase from Jim during the Mosley vs Mayweather fight. Of all my favorite fighters I wish Hamed would have given or asked for a rematch with Barrera back in the day! Lets see how Bute reacts to his first lost.
nano212
nano212

Back to top Go down

Froch vs. Bute rematch will happen next year after interim fights Empty Re: Froch vs. Bute rematch will happen next year after interim fights

Post  powerpuncher Sat Jul 07, 2012 2:44 am

im all for this. there was a rematch clause and i still think that bute is a good fighter. we will see if he can bounce back or not. an interm match is a great idea though. both get another fight to show how good they are and then we will see if bute can adapt or not.
powerpuncher
powerpuncher

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Sat Jul 07, 2012 10:56 am

The interesting factor is the rematch will be taking place in Montreal.

Back to top Go down

Post  flapanther2001 Sat Jul 07, 2012 6:14 pm

Froch crushes Bute no matter where they fight.
flapanther2001
flapanther2001

Back to top Go down

Post  Diego408 Sat Jul 07, 2012 7:00 pm

flapanther2001 wrote:Froch crushes Bute no matter where they fight.
+1 but I think whats more important here is Froch and Kessler fighting next. Say if Kessler beats Froch again, Bute vs Kessler sounds like a very good fight. Style does make fights and I don't think Kessler has the power to batter Bute the way Froch did. Its a very interesting match up.
Diego408
Diego408

Back to top Go down

Post  flapanther2001 Sat Jul 07, 2012 7:03 pm

Diego408 wrote:
+1 but I think whats more important here is Froch and Kessler fighting next. Say if Kessler beats Froch again, Bute vs Kessler sounds like a very good fight. Style does make fights and I don't think Kessler has the power to batter Bute the way Froch did. Its a very interesting match up.
I think they both spank Bute. He can't handle that kind of pressure & they've both proven themselves at a higher level.
flapanther2001
flapanther2001

Back to top Go down

Post  captainanddew Sat Jul 07, 2012 7:06 pm

Diego408 wrote:

froch vs kessler II next has a decent likelihood but it isn't a done deal. one of the boxingscene articles this week had froch's manager or promoter saying interim fight in fall, then bute in spring, and kessler next summer for an outdoor stadium.

captainanddew
captainanddew

Back to top Go down

Post  Gumby Sat Jul 07, 2012 8:49 pm

Ready for the rematch.
Gumby
Gumby

Back to top Go down

Post  powerpuncher Sun Jul 08, 2012 2:42 am

i highly doubt froch will fight kessler before the bute rematch. how would it look if kessler beat froch? the bute-froch fight wouldnt be as big. i wouldnt mind him taking an easier fight anyway. froch has faced tough competition the past few years. i wouldnt mind him taking a tune up first.
powerpuncher
powerpuncher

Back to top Go down

Post  dbudge Sun Jul 08, 2012 8:18 am

powerpuncher wrote:i highly doubt froch will fight kessler before the bute rematch. how would it look if kessler beat froch? the bute-froch fight wouldnt be as big. i wouldnt mind him taking an easier fight anyway. froch has faced tough competition the past few years. i wouldnt mind him taking a tune up first.

Froch doesn't do tune ups. I think froch wants Kessler next but Kessler is asking for an unrealistic purse and wants home advantage again. I don't think froch will go over to Denmark again, it's Kessler's turn to travel. If froch can't get Kessler before bute then I wouldn't be surprised if he decided to go across the pond and spank Pavlik for the big hbo payday.. I doubt arum lets that happen though

dbudge

Back to top Go down

Post  gomez1012 Sun Jul 08, 2012 11:38 am

A huge fan of both guys. Cant wait for their next fights

Epix should carry a Bute/Froch twin bill
gomez1012
gomez1012

Back to top Go down

Post  flapanther2001 Sun Jul 08, 2012 12:08 pm

Are there people here that really think Bute was just "off" that night. Do some of you truly believe that he's actually capable of fighting better against the likes of Froch?
flapanther2001
flapanther2001

Back to top Go down

Post  Shaun Sun Jul 08, 2012 12:39 pm

It's amazing how fast Bute has fallen. Everyone (including this forum) was demanding that he fight Andre Ward next. That he was the real deal and the fight must be made.

Now people do not think he has a chance vs. Carl Froch (who Andre Ward outclassed).
Shaun
Shaun

Back to top Go down

Post  captainanddew Sun Jul 08, 2012 1:13 pm

Shaun wrote:It's amazing how fast Bute has fallen. Everyone (including this forum) was demanding that he fight Andre Ward next. That he was the real deal and the fight must be made.

Now people do not think he has a chance vs. Carl Froch (who Andre Ward outclassed).

I will not say that Bute doesn't have a chance in a rematch against Froch. That isn't fair to Bute as he landed some very good left hands.

But this isn't a situation where Froch landed one really great shot that put Bute down early or hurt him enough that he never really recovered.

Bute's reaction to any shot landed from round 1 on was telling. He couldn't take Froch's punches.
captainanddew
captainanddew

Back to top Go down

Post  gomez1012 Sun Jul 08, 2012 3:39 pm

bute got dragged into a brawl and thought he could hang with one tough mofo, he thought wrong

he's got to box and use those advantages he has, its another toss up imo, whoever gets their kind of fight takes it
gomez1012
gomez1012

Back to top Go down

Post  dbudge Sun Jul 08, 2012 3:46 pm

gomez1012 wrote:bute got dragged into a brawl and thought he could hang with one tough mofo, he thought wrong

he's got to box and use those advantages he has, its another toss up imo, whoever gets their kind of fight takes it

I strongly disagree. Bute just couldn't take froch's power. Bute was in trouble every time he got hit. Bute wasn't faster than froch, he hit froch with some shots and couldnt stop him in his tracks. Bute wins fights by standing in front of guys and hurting them, he is not a stick and move boxer or a good inside fighter. Froch will always be too strong for bute

dbudge

Back to top Go down

Post  UBeeg9cats Sun Jul 08, 2012 3:55 pm

I think Bute can and will do better in the next fight. He has been very classy in defeat but there was concern about his foot going into the fight. However doing better is just a relative term. He will probably win some rounds boxing more and may even last the distance. Froch is just too tough and I have to start picking him in some of his fights Laughing

UBeeg9cats

Back to top Go down

Post  flapanther2001 Sun Jul 08, 2012 4:20 pm

Bute will never stand up the the echelon of fighters like Froch, Ward, Kessler, et al......never. He will fight a bum at home & then get drilled by Froch again. He will then go back to fighting bums with 23-1 records in Montreal.....period.
flapanther2001
flapanther2001

Back to top Go down

Post  powerpuncher Mon Jul 09, 2012 2:25 am

i still think that bute is a good, solid fighter. i think that its mainly that styles make fights. froch just has the style to beat bute easily. i think that a kessler fight would be somewhat the same but i believe that froch hits harder and has a better chin so i think that bute would last longer against kessler.

i actually think that bute would do better against ward than froch did. i still think that ward would win pretty convincingly but i dont believe it would be a shut out on the scorecards. its all style matchups here. bute just has a hard time against fighters like froch who walk through punches and just keep swinging.
powerpuncher
powerpuncher

Back to top Go down

Post  Tobe Mon Jul 09, 2012 8:27 am

Bute looked terrible against Froch, and a lot of the credit for that has to go to Carl. But that said, I think Bute had the wrong gameplan going in to that fight and actually does have a chance to win a rematch. In Bute's last several fights he's been able to just toy with guys and blow them out with his power; which isn't really the best approach for his skills. He went into the Froch fight thinking A) I'm faster than this guy, and B) I can knock him out like I've knocked a ton of guys out already. Neither was true on the night.

In the past Bute fought in a much slicker style, keeping guys off with 4 and 5 punch combos and showing angles much better. He fell in love with his power recently, and hadn't really proven his power against top guys. So if he can get back in the gym and work on getting back to what got to him to this level, he might be able to turn things around.

Also I think a guy like Pavlik is tailor made for Bute and Lucien would crush him. Good fight for Bute to take to get back some of his rep and build the hype for a Froch rematch though.
Tobe
Tobe

Back to top Go down

Post  gomez1012 Mon Jul 09, 2012 10:35 am

dbudge wrote:
gomez1012 wrote:bute got dragged into a brawl and thought he could hang with one tough mofo, he thought wrong

I strongly disagree. Bute just couldn't take froch's power. Bute was in trouble every time he got hit. Bute wasn't faster than froch, he hit froch with some shots and couldnt stop him in his tracks. Bute wins fights by standing in front of guys and hurting them, he is not a stick and move boxer or a good inside fighter. Froch will always be too strong for bute

Look at the Andrade rematch for the kind of fighter Bute can be. He needs to make those adjustments and box. Use his speed, reach, and ability to counter to keep Froch off of him

He invited Froch to a firefight in the first bout. Of course Froch welcomed it, he took of advantage of Bute's choice and capitalized on it.

Again, Froch can get his fight, no doubt, the guy is a warrior but I also believe Bute can come in with a game plan and win a rematch
gomez1012
gomez1012

Back to top Go down

Post  Gumby Sun Jul 15, 2012 11:07 am

Bute's issue is defense not offense. He landed some damaging blows against Froch. Froch just happened to be strong enough to walk through them, and when he stepped through Bute had no idea what to do. So he just stood there and ate punches. Froch doesn't respect Bute's power in the ring like lesser opponents do.

Bute will need more than a change in gameplan. He's going to need to figure out how to defend or hold Froch whenever he gets inside.
Gumby
Gumby

Back to top Go down

Post  captainanddew Sun Jul 15, 2012 11:26 am

Gumby wrote:Bute's issue is defense not offense. He landed some damaging blows against Froch. Froch just happened to be strong enough to walk through them, and when he stepped through Bute had no idea what to do. So he just stood there and ate punches. Froch doesn't respect Bute's power in the ring like lesser opponents do.

Bute will need more than a change in gameplan. He's going to need to figure out how to defend or hold Froch whenever he gets inside.

he has no idea about doing that.

And bute's style has changed. From a volume guy to a guy who seems to have fallen in love with his power.

I think even if Bute sticks and moves and tries to use more volume, he will get caught by Froch. Froch has more than a good chin, he has an iron will. He wants to get to Bute and is willing to do whatever it takes to get it done.
captainanddew
captainanddew

Back to top Go down

Post  captainanddew Sun Jul 15, 2012 11:28 am

and as Budge and I have said, Bute was holding on/stunned/hurt by almost everything Froch landed cleanly.

Bute grabbed on in the first or early 2nd round by a shot that didn't appear to be big. He just wasn't taking anything landed well.

Honestly, how many guys can you remember landing on Bute??? Andrade had pressure going on Bute in first fight, but he didn't really get to him until the fateful 12 th round. Bute hasn't really been hit much in all the fights I've seen.

The 2 times I saw him get hit cleanly (Andrade I and Froch) he was seriously hurt.
captainanddew
captainanddew

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next