The Boxing Palace
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Oscar to plan Jr Middleweight tourney ?

+3
captainanddew
NJBeatdown86
flapanther2001
7 posters

Go down

Oscar to plan Jr Middleweight tourney ? Empty Oscar to plan Jr Middleweight tourney ?

Post  Guest Mon Jul 02, 2012 2:56 pm

Golden Boy Promotions President Oscar De La Hoya won't reveal the next opponent for WBC junior middleweight titleholder Saul "Canelo" Alvarez, who is slated for a return to the ring on Sept. 15 at the MGM Grand in Las Vegs, but he did unveal his musings about a potential 154-pound tournament.

"Golden Boy is all about thinking outside of the box and to bring the best fights in this division. I haven't talked to anyone formally about it," said De La Hoya, adding that he would bring his idea to Golden Boy CEO Richard Schaefer and matchmaker Eric Gomez.

"What's going to happen is that I'm going to sit down with Richard and with my matchmakers and we're going to analyze who we have at 154 and then we'll take it from there."

Unlike Showtime's Super Six Classic, which produced THE RING's super middleweight champion Andre Ward and featured a round-robin format and lasted just over two years through December of last year, De La Hoya said his event would begin with quarterfinal, eight-man bracket.

"Why not do an eight-man tournament in a shorter period of time. Why not have three fights or even four fights in one night and make it a single-elimination tournament in a shorter amount of time. It doesn't have to last a year or two years. You can make it single-elimination, and this tournament can last just a few months," said De La Hoya.

"You don't necessarily have to be the winner of a tournament like this. If you fight in a great fight, then you're going to come out of that tournament a star. Win or lose, as long as you fight, you don't lose. But a tournament at 154 pounds would be incredible. It would be amazing."

The weight class is loaded, De La Hoya contends, starting with three-division titlewinner Miguel Cotto, who is coming off a unanimous decision loss to Floyd Mayweather Jr. that ended his string of three straight stoppage victories.

IBF beltholder Cornelius Bundrage is coming off Saturday night's Showtime-televised seventh-round stoppage of Cory Spinks, whom Bundrage originally dethroned by fifth-round stoppage in August of 2010. On the Bundrage-Spinks undercard, Cuban-born left-hander Erislandy Lara unanimously decisioned Freddy Hernandez

Lara was coming off a first-round knockout of Ronald Hearns in April. Prior to facing Hearns, Lara had not been in the ring since July of last year, when he lost a disputed majority decision to former two-time titleholder e Paul Williams which many observers thought Lara had won.

There is also southpaw WBA "regular" titleholder Austin Trout, who is coming off a defense of his crown against Delvin Rodriguez on June 2.

Hammer-fisted southpaw James Kirkland had originally agreed to replace Williams as the new opponent for Alvarez after a career-ending injury from a motorcycle accident rendered the former two-time welterweight titleholder paralyzed from the waist down.

But Kirkland cited recovery from shoulder surgery on his right arm and money as his reasons for not taking the bout.

Still others to be considered are Carlos Molina , Alfredo Angulo or former welterweight beltholder Carlos Quintana, the latter of whom has split bouts with Williams and who looked very strong in scoring his recent knockout on the Mayweather-Cotto card.

Molina is coming off a controversial 10th-round disqualification loss to Kirkland in March, and Angulo, off a sixth-round knockout loss to Kirkland during which both fighters were floored in the first round in March. Still another is unbeaten Vanes Martirosyan, said De La Hoya.

"Bundrage, Trout, Lara, Canelo, Cotto, Kirkland, Angulo making a comeback. S--t, I might even throw myself into the mix," said the former world titlewinner.

"That's how good this tournament could be. These are just ideas that I'm throwing out there, and it would seem to me that the public would really demand it and that the public would love it."

http://ringtv.craveonline.com/rumors/articles/173649-de-la-hoya-eyes-junior-middlweight-turney

Ever since the Super Six I've been calling for a 154lb tourno.

Back to top Go down

Oscar to plan Jr Middleweight tourney ? Empty Re: Oscar to plan Jr Middleweight tourney ?

Post  flapanther2001 Mon Jul 02, 2012 5:24 pm

Great originality Oscar....
flapanther2001
flapanther2001

Back to top Go down

Oscar to plan Jr Middleweight tourney ? Empty Re: Oscar to plan Jr Middleweight tourney ?

Post  NJBeatdown86 Mon Jul 02, 2012 5:26 pm

Tournaments always sound good, but typically never go as planned. Just have Canelo fight the best instead Oscar.
NJBeatdown86
NJBeatdown86

Back to top Go down

Post  captainanddew Mon Jul 02, 2012 7:01 pm

NJBeatdown86 wrote:Tournaments always sound good, but typically never go as planned. Just have Canelo fight the best instead Oscar.

a tournament sounds like a great idea, but somehow I would guess canelo would be on one side of the draw with Lara, Molina, and anyone else GB doesn't want him to face, situated on the other side. At least put the guy who meets him in the final through a couple of tough fights.
captainanddew
captainanddew

Back to top Go down

Post  dmar5143 Mon Jul 02, 2012 8:55 pm

alvarez cotto and floyd will not be in this tourney.thats a guarentee.some of the other fighters mentioned maybe.it could liven up the division a bit even if a few lower ranked top ten guys were in it.it could produce a decent challenger for alvarez floyd or a cotto fight.
dmar5143
dmar5143

Back to top Go down

Post  SlickMoney Mon Jul 02, 2012 9:14 pm

Cotto is not going to agree to this. He doesnt need this tournament.

Oscar can go ahead and make it happen on Sept. 15.

Canelo, Bundrage, Molina, Lara in any combination u want.

I think Oscar just wanted some attention and did an interview because of it.
SlickMoney
SlickMoney

Back to top Go down

Post  powerpuncher Tue Jul 03, 2012 2:39 am

one thing i disagree with is that 154 is a loaded division. it is in reality a weak division.

but with that said, its a great idea and i would love it. i mean, having an 8 man bracket and putting those 4 fights on the same card would be great. the dumb thing would be leaving canelo out of it. it shouldnt be a tournament to fight canelo. he should be in it. i would respect him a lot more and give him a ton of credit if he went in and won it. the only fighter that would make sense to do a tournament for in order to fight them would be mayweather. canelo is not on a higher level than these other guys so he shouldnt be treated like he is.

a tournament made in order to get an opponent for canelo is stupid. a tournament with canelo in it is good.
powerpuncher
powerpuncher

Back to top Go down

Post  powerpuncher Tue Jul 03, 2012 2:41 am

one more thing. if canelo werent in that tournament then i would for sure rank the winner above canelo and the winner should be considered more of a champion than canelo.
powerpuncher
powerpuncher

Back to top Go down

Post  gomez1012 Sun Jul 08, 2012 11:46 am

SlickMoney wrote:Cotto is not going to agree to this. He doesnt need this tournament.

Oscar can go ahead and make it happen on Sept. 15.

Canelo, Bundrage, Molina, Lara in any combination u want.

I think Oscar just wanted some attention and did an interview because of it.

typical oscar
gomez1012
gomez1012

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down