The Boxing Palace
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

gary russell jr vs adrien broner

+4
NJBeatdown86
flapanther2001
captainanddew
powerpuncher
8 posters

Go down

gary russell jr vs adrien broner Empty gary russell jr vs adrien broner

Post  powerpuncher Sun Jul 01, 2012 6:47 am

these are the 2 biggest up and comers in my opinion. they both have a lot of talent and a ton of growing to do. broner is a little further into his career but not too much. russell still has to fight a little better competition to get into the top of the division but can get there soon. both are in the super featherweight division now but im assuming broner will move up sooner than later. im just thinking how good this fight could end up being if they stick around the same weight classes in the next few years.

maybe im getting a little ahead of myself since boxing most of the time doesnt make the best matches possible, but i can hope. we are always talking about alvarez and chavez jr being the next big things in boxing but i think that broner and russell will be better. they may not have as big of fan base but i believe they will have the better careers.

how soon is russell going to fight top competition? i think that he is ready. im hoping that in 2 years from now he can be considered the top in his division.
powerpuncher
powerpuncher

Back to top Go down

gary russell jr vs adrien broner Empty Re: gary russell jr vs adrien broner

Post  captainanddew Sun Jul 01, 2012 8:27 am

I was not initially sold on Broner, and even though I'm not yet a huge fan (I find his shtick and choice of opponents both lacking), he should be able to compete at 130, 135, 140, and possibly higher.

Russell-he is at 126 and I wonder how high in weight he will be able to go (assuming he keeps winning as his competition increases). He is listed at 5 ft 5 and has arms of a 5 ft tall guy. Fast hands are not going to allow him to fight very high in weight at his size. Russell looks like a guy that will probably find one weight and stay there for a long time.

Both need to increase the competition. Broner faced his best comp (De Leon) and arguably lost. Then he faced a lower top 10 guy that he spanked. And he is back to facing also rans. If they want him to become a player at the higher to highest levels of the sport he needs to start facing some of the best guys at 130 (and 135 when he decides to campaign there). Russell should not be facing guys like he faced last night.
captainanddew
captainanddew

Back to top Go down

Post  flapanther2001 Sun Jul 01, 2012 9:33 am

I think their respective camps will milk their fighters for as long as possible before fighting each other. I doubt they would risk a loss & derail the hype train.
flapanther2001
flapanther2001

Back to top Go down

Post  NJBeatdown86 Sun Jul 01, 2012 10:56 am

Broner is too big and both guys are with Lord Haymon, who will keep them against soft competition on HBO/SHO for big paychecks.

I'd love to see Broner vs. Gamboa, but that's unlikely to happen.
NJBeatdown86
NJBeatdown86

Back to top Go down

Post  captainanddew Sun Jul 01, 2012 11:18 am

NJBeatdown86 wrote:Broner is too big and both guys are with Lord Haymon, who will keep them against soft competition on HBO/SHO for big paychecks.

I'd love to see Broner vs. Gamboa, but that's unlikely to happen.

Broner is way too big for Russell. While they are fighting only 4 pounds apart right now (130 vs 126), Russell is 5 ft 5 and doesn't look like a guy that is going to jump up in weight over 3-4 classes.

Broner, while fighting at 130, has already fought as high as 138. he will be at 135 pretty soon and Russell will be at 126 or 130 for a long time.
captainanddew
captainanddew

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Sun Jul 01, 2012 12:35 pm

Broner is huge for his class, I could see him as high as WW one day.

Back to top Go down

Post  UBeeg9cats Sun Jul 01, 2012 5:23 pm

Russell is tiny. I can see him fighting at 135 at the very MAX. He will probably be 130 through his prime years. Broner looks like he is lucky to make 130 right now.

UBeeg9cats

Back to top Go down

Post  Diego408 Sun Jul 01, 2012 5:30 pm

Broner would easily win this match up, but they're both managed by Haymon so don't ever expect this fight to happen. Plus Broner is way too big. He'll move up to 135 after a few fights at 130 while Russell will be a career featherweight. Russell is a midget. Gamboa vs Broner is a lot more interesting. If I was HBO I would offer both guys big purses to face off this year or the next. Kinda how they did with Bradley vs Alexander.
Diego408
Diego408

Back to top Go down

Post  NJBeatdown86 Sun Jul 01, 2012 10:47 pm

Having seen him pretty close in person, I can say that Broner looks enormous for a guy that's listed as 5'7 130 lbs.
NJBeatdown86
NJBeatdown86

Back to top Go down

Post  powerpuncher Mon Jul 02, 2012 2:33 am

everybody is killing my dream fight!

but i guess its true that broner is a lot bigger naturally and probably wont be near the same weight soon. broner needs to move up in weight after fight escobedo because 130 is a very weak division. although 135 is pretty weak too but there are some decent fights that could be made there. he has an easy road to the p4p rankings.
powerpuncher
powerpuncher

Back to top Go down

Post  Gumby Sat Jul 07, 2012 8:46 pm

Like others have said Broner is too big for Gary. I think his sights should be set on 135.

I loved Gary calling out Juanma after his last fight. I think that's the perfect step up fight and will be exciting to watch. If he gets through that he'll be right in line to take on the top talent at 126 or continue to refine his game.
Gumby
Gumby

Back to top Go down

Post  dbudge Sun Jul 08, 2012 8:25 am

Broner will get maximum exposure on hbo fighting for big purses and against soft touches. Haymon manages both Russell and Broner so don't expect this fight to ever happen. Haymon is grooming brokers career to emulate floyd mayweather's so that when floyd retires Haymon already has another cash cow in Broner ready to take his place. Broner and Gamboa are never going to fight, Broner will continue to get low risk high reward fights. Al Haymon is bad for boxing

dbudge

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down